EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Warlock
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #31
Hiei_1

The video was cool, I liked it.  I just rolled me a warlock about 2 weeks ago because of my broken conjy.  I'm not gonna waste my time complaining on a board everyday about my class, even though I spent alot of money on adept 3's.  It'll be good again someday and i'll play it then.   So, for now i'm playing warlock.

That being said, why are people already whining about this on another post?  You know what warlocks/wizzies do, if you wanna nuke then make a nuker.   

Good parts:
With luck (all your spells hitting) and a little skill you can solo SOME higher lvl group mobs.

Bad parts:
Resist at a bad time = death
Crowded areas with roamers = no go -  you need a bit of space between you and the mob.

People get all up in arms about 1 class's soloing ability compared to another.  If  you want the ultimate solo'er then go 2 box a zerker/cleric SMILEY

Hiei_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #32
Ingra

In the end of the video you see 3 bails where I have to zone out. This is the only 50^^ mob I've tried because:
- It's the only one I've found near a zone-out
- I'm not happy about hunting inside, less ways to run
- They seem to have little hitpoints

I've only been killed about 2 times by them, but I've bailed... many.

I did notice the end of the video where it looked like you took off running... I don't think everyone paid attention to that before they started freaking out to nerf warlocks... Thanks for posting the above info about why you tried that particular mob... seems perhaps others could try and probably get close to soloing it as well.  Since other classes get exceptionally perturbed by the warlocks ability to solo, it's always a good plan to include this type of information. 
It's amazing you were able to solo this mob.  It's important people understand that you did a lot of work looking for a mob you would be able to solo and that you did practice practice practice and ended up with a moment when everything went perfectly...but that doesn't always happen :smileywink: 
Luck to you!

I am nerdier than 71% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Ingra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #33
Eadric

Loremaster

There are tons of classes that can do this. /shrug
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #34
SunT

Think before you brag.  Nerf bat is a comin.

I just made a Warlock alt after reviewing Ewils Parse logs.  Shhhhhhhhh and don't get him nerfed bud. 

Nice job BTW. 
SunT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #35
Fepp

General

Ingrata wrote:

In the end of the video you see 3 bails where I have to zone out. This is the only 50^^ mob I've tried because:
- It's the only one I've found near a zone-out
- I'm not happy about hunting inside, less ways to run
- They seem to have little hitpoints
I've only been killed about 2 times by them, but I've bailed... many.

I did notice the end of the video where it looked like you took off running... I don't think everyone paid attention to that before they started freaking out to nerf warlocks... Thanks for posting the above info about why you tried that particular mob... seems perhaps others could try and probably get close to soloing it as well. Since other classes get exceptionally perturbed by the warlocks ability to solo, it's always a good plan to include this type of information.
It's amazing you were able to solo this mob. It's important people understand that you did a lot of work looking for a mob you would be able to solo and that you did practice practice practice and ended up with a moment when everything went perfectly...but that doesn't always happen :smileywink:
Luck to you!

Doesnt explain any of it in his signiture. Leaves people to their own conclusions - and we all know what that is
General-Tetlee-Of-Monged-45-Predator-General-Tetlee-Of-Monged
Fepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:43 AM   #36
n0kn0k

Loremaster

What's so special about this movie? Warlocks can even solo epicx2 mobs.....

Xanadu, Runnyeye
n0kn0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #37
Seth

General

Nice video, love the music. Lets hope there is no nerf from this SMILEY
Old 05-08-2005, 03:49 AM   #38
toxifloxi

Loremaster

I am not much impressed by this video. I am also a 45ish warlock and tried the giants in front of sol eye entrance today. I succeeded in every 3rd trial, so there is no skill needed to solo them. Just hope that you dont get a resist on your roots.

I think warlock is not a class where you need to be skilled, just smash buttons, max your dps while you dont get aggro from mobs, and if you got aggro, stun and root and go to distance. I am happy to be able to solo high level mobs, but i dont think its the way i like to play.

Since EQ2 is a multiplayer game, i prefer playing in a group and add my DPS and my CC utility (yes, bony grasp can be helpful while grouping !) to the groups performance.

Please stop posting "OMG ROFL I PWNED A LEVEL 400^^^^^^ grp x 17 mob at level 41" threads. Yes, we are a strong class and its much fun, but remember, its a multiplayer game still, so using overpowered spells to solo is not very impressive.

toxifloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:28 AM   #39
Tybr

Loremaster

Good job.:smileywink:

Tybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #40
jaythedogg

Loremaster

Lazaron wrote:

Mastire wrote:
When Scouts can kill 52^^^ Epic X 2 mobs, killing a ^^ 6 levels above you should be possible.

Hours of kiting, I assume. *cough*boring*cough*

Can't kite for hours, the encounter will break. Anyway, all this talk of nerfing if we can solo efficiently? No, not really, the "Heroic" mobs are named so, as it would be a heroic effort to take one down, solo or grouped. Also, this game is geared somewhat like WoW (But better IMHO) & SOE will not nerf us because we can be heroic & solo at high levels. This is eq2 not EQL LOL.

i liek milk
jaythedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #41
JuanOr

Yes, this is nothing special. Many different clases can do this kind of solo work.
JuanOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #42
Kven

Lazaron wrote:

The track is the February 2005 mix by John B, which, along with many others, can be downloaded from his site at http://www.john-b.com

Actually, the January 2005. SMILEY
Kven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #43
Avarimar

No other classes can do it nearly as fast as a warlock, and we risk dying alot more too, also we can't solo dungeon nameds which is another important point. Personally I don't think anyone should be able to solo a named even if it's 6 levels below them. But when it comes to heroic encounters of any kind, they are meant for groups, but then personally if I was into soloing I'd prefer a longer more challenging fight with a longer downtime. Rather than the constant easy and fast but boring killing of existing solo mobs. When I go up against defenders I risk alot, since they kill me with some range attack, if I get resisted and run, theres a chance I'll die, I've died alot on those defenders after seeing this video heh. When I go up against the ice golems in everfrost at 44^^ I risk alot less, since they don't kill me nearly as easily, but if I get resisted theres still a high chance I'm screwed. Personally I think if they do desire to balance this ability some classes have, they need to balance the environment so it's either completely impossible or impractical. I don't see the problem if a person wants to level soloing heroic's if they can, is there much extra reward from it? I guess it depends on the time it takes them, since Paladins take alot longer than Warlocks on the same heroic for instance... So the key would be to have less spaced out heroic's, put 2 together more often or more pathing of other mobs amongst them. Groups can easily handle 2, a warlock can't. Why have golems spaced so nicely along that path to miraguls menagerie? Mix the levels up a bit, throw in some 2x single^ heroics that path together up and down the hall. Stuff like that. Perhaps they could increase warlocks power usage also. I don't like the fact wizards aren't equal dps to warlocks, but personally I don't think wizards or warlocks should be so powerful just yet, as the levels increase further though I think the balance should change and wizards/warlocks become alot more powerful. How much learning and skill does it take to use magic? and how much learning and skill does it take to do good damage with a weapon? Especially considering the kinds of creatures we are fighting, they aren't all super powerful magical users themselves... I don't like soloing much, but in Eq1 it was good because I could do real life stuff during the downtime between kills... The way power regen in Eq2 is I think it would be impossible to create that unless it was in an instance or specific solo zone. I think a solo dungeon with a max group size of 2 could prove interesting. SMILEY Or maybe even make it impossible to form groups in the zone... I don't think an instance would be that good, a traditional Eq1 style shared dungeon would work better.
Avarimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:04 AM   #44
Zoradan

Loremaster

Ewil this still dosn't change the fact that I HATE RATS!

:smileywink:

Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #45
Geoff

General

nice job taking that down.  I have a level 46 illusionist and i couldn't even dream of such things.  Though, we have our place in groups, and I would even say that in solo PvP, you'd have a much harder time taking down this 46 illusionist than that 50^^.  (actually, I'd cream you ;p).  It's all about strengths and weaknesses.  Certain mobs are weaker against certain attacks.  I don't think anyone here should be crying nerf.  This certainly couldn't be done against all mobs, and I'd be willing to be that fight had been losta  few times as well before the recording you're seeing was posted.  Give him some props, and move along. (this also directed at the nerf happy people linking this thread in other posts).
Old 05-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #46
Nebulari

I can solo pretty effectiviely with my lowloy 21 necro and imagine that whern he grows up he will be really cool.  problem I had was getting a group so I am rolling a warlock now.  simply for utility and because my guild needs another one.

I think it is great and I loved the video!!!
Nebulari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #47
Panad

General

Soloed those defenders of Thyr for the first time yesterday too - was only one percent to ding 46 so I decided to try it - and won, woot! Did it right again, but just takes too long for that ~1% exp, might be I'll do it again though, nice soloing practice and loot may be nice, at least I hope so. One guy watched me do the fight though, he exited SE a short time after I started it, hope he didn't get into the "nerf the warlocks" mood at that... How did you make that video anyway? What software did you use? Would be great to have that for raid movies etc.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:47 AM   #48
jaythedogg

Loremaster

Yea, let's see a 45 Warlock take down Undertow solo in EF. Not happening, seen it attempted many times, some lvl 50 Warlocks (cough* bots) on my server have trouble with Undertow (44++ Casts divine, poison & disease, with resists to nearly all three of em) I am 43 & can get him down a bit until he resists root or starts casting on me.

i liek milk
Old 06-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #49
Panad

General

Undertow? Where in EF is that mob located?

Message Edited by Panador on 06-08-2005 09:52 AM

Old 06-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #50
Renshiren

Loremaster

Those that think that nothing is going to happen please let me know where you live/work so I can move to land of bliss. Great movie but this is like walking down the street with a few grand hanging out your pocket. Changes will happen. Look at the wizzy boards, 4 out of the top ten posts are posts about the DPS difference.

So please keep bragging so we can get hit more often.

Kathuk

41 Warlock

Renshiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #51
jaythedogg

Loremaster

(Response to Panador)
Undertow is located in EF, in the cavern just inside the tunnel from the main ocean area, as you are going from the docks to PF, to spawn it, you must kill all the Resonating Echoes repeatedly until it spawns. Inside said cavern is also the ghost NPC that gives out a quest to set his soul to rest, I forget the name. Not hard to find, & btw, if you plan on trying to solo him at 46, good luck, he is a tough one. Edit: If you would like to see a screenshot of the room I am speaking of, look here: Highkeep dot net boards thread.

Message Edited by jaythedogg on 06-08-2005 10:58 PM

i liek milk
Old 06-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #52
Althena

Loremaster

I am a warlock (26) and have a 34 illusionist and I really dont care if someone could solo something like this, my concern would only be.... not worth the time or possible arguements, but how bout a video without turning it away during bony grasp.

Message Edited by Althena on 06-09-2005 08:10 AM

Althena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #53
Ingra

Althena, on page Twp I asked the question regarding why he had to turn the screen away when he cast Bony Grasp.  Apparently he plays on a Lap top and it cannot handle the graffix so he turns his view away.  :smileywink:

I am nerdier than 71% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Ingra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:38 AM   #54
Dart

LoL so much hate :p, let the guy enjoy his 15 seconds of fame, after all he took the time to make the movie.
-Monty Python's Holy Grail-
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote