EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Warlock
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
yodamite

Loremaster

So how do these nil crystals work and how do I get them? I dinged 25 and got Curse of Darkness which is says when target dies while under the spell  a nil crystal is summoned yet I have never had one in my inventory yet.
yodamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
tiki-jiki

Loremaster

I believe certain spells require you to have these to cast the spell, although i havent gotten to that level yet.
tiki-jiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Max122

Loremaster

Right now you have no use for the nil crystals but everytime a mob dies and that spell is on them you will get on of those. First spell that will use these are abhorrent gift just need one though as right now the crystal is not consumed when casting the spell.  Also later on wicked gift upgrade to abhorrent gift is same way and netheros some double down arrow pet we can cast out uses this too havnt casted netheros yet to see if it consumes the nil crystal or not.  Hope this helps for you but for now you will just find yourself deleting the crystals they do stack up to 50 however usually let them stack up then delete them when second stack is made.
Max122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
yodamite

Loremaster

The thing is the crystals are never in my inventory after the mob dies. Been using C. Darkness all morning and nothing is ever produced. Makes me wonder if this is bugged.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:01 AM   #5
AngelVyxen

Loremaster

The spell wears off..so if they're long fights you won't end up with one.. try casting the spell near the end of the fight to test it and see if you get one.  But right now they're buggy anyway, so could be bugged for you.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
BaronVonPitviper

Loremaster

I've noticed that when your inventory is full, you will get no message warning you that there is no room for the nil crystal. It just wont be there.

Swashbuckler

Weaponsmith ~ Tinker

Amenta

Splitpaw
BaronVonPitviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:03 AM   #7
maddawg138

Loremaster

yodamite wrote:
So how do these nil crystals work and how do I get them? I dinged 25 and got Curse of Darkness which is says when target dies while under the spell  a nil crystal is summoned yet I have never had one in my inventory yet.

you get them when you use curse of darkness or any of the curse of spells......there is a spell called abhorrent gift(or wicked gift in late 40's) in which it requres a nil crystal....as well as netheros that requires a nil crystal to cast.

make sure your inventory isnt full...and also the spell does wear off after a certain amount of time...one way you will know if you get one you will see a purple skull thing that looks like harm touch at the end of the fight. if you see that you should receive one in your inventory

Old 04-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
Sac_jok

Why on earth did SOE make the Nil Crystals Temp? That is so shady...this makes it so that we cannot use the spells that require a crystal until after we have already killed something else. I am 26 now, but when I started using the Curse of Darkness at 25 I used it on every mob I fought (maily because the snake and skull look so cool).

But, anyway I log that night get on the next day and [Removed for Content] all my crystals are gone?!? That makes the spell only worth while to cast after we get a spell that uses the crystal or as I have been casting it a few time per battle to raise skill level.

Can anyone please explain the reason why the crystals are a temp item?

Knights Templar
Sac_jok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
Eadric

Loremaster

Just go kill a couple of wimp mobs. I destroy stacks and stacks of nil crystals each night while I'm playing. They are taking up precious loot space in my bags.
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Sac_jok

Good way to build them up when I need them thanks :smileyvery-happy:

I guess deleting them is the way to go for now.

Knights Templar
Sac_jok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:41 AM   #11
yodamite

Loremaster

Maybe I am confused on these things... I cast the spell, mob is dead and I get the purple skellie icon blowing at me, stats say I casted the spell yet nothing is in my inventory. What do these look like? They must be invisible if I am getting them.( sarcasm off)
Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #12
maddawg138

Loremaster

you know what petrified eye looks like? thats what it looks like
Old 04-27-2005, 03:13 PM   #13
BaronVonPitviper

Loremaster

I have witnessed that a stack of nil crystals seems to be 50. I also noticed that casting Abhorent Gift doesn't really use up my nil crystal, you only ever need to have one in inventory to cast that spell. If you are fighting things that do not need debuffed (solo nightbloods in EL for example) I'd grab a nil crystal on the first kill and it would last me the whole exp session. Seems like a bug to me, but there are certainly bigger fish for SOE devs to fry.

Swashbuckler

Weaponsmith ~ Tinker

Amenta

Splitpaw
BaronVonPitviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #14
Kaeylum

Loremaster

Sac_joker wrote:

Why on earth did SOE make the Nil Crystals Temp? That is so shady...this makes it so that we cannot use the spells that require a crystal until after we have already killed something else. I am 26 now, but when I started using the Curse of Darkness at 25 I used it on every mob I fought (maily because the snake and skull look so cool).

But, anyway I log that night get on the next day and [Removed for Content] all my crystals are gone?!? That makes the spell only worth while to cast after we get a spell that uses the crystal or as I have been casting it a few time per battle to raise skill level.

Can anyone please explain the reason why the crystals are a temp item?

Remember the spell also reduces the mobs nox resist significantly, and should be cast before u do any big nuking. also curse of null reduces the mobs STR and INT which also rocks. Yeah you don't have a use for the crystals yet, but the spells still rule.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #15
Ingra

When I head out to battle for the night, I usually grab a grey and kill it to get one Nil Crystal.  I have noticed, as someone said above, that when i use Abhorrent Gift, I never seem to lose the Nil Crystal.  I'll have hundreds of them by the end of the night which I just destroy.  I debuff pretty much every single mob as soon as the tank pulls it.  Not only do debuffs help me hit harder but they also help your group members hit a bit harder as well.  It's also a good way to give the tank time to get some good agro going before  you start super Nuking.  I rarely ever have a problem with pulling agro from the tank as the time spent debuffing and the fact that he does a bit more damage all help him keep the bleeping mob off me!  I do deviate from my debuff strategy if the mob can be killed in 1-2 hits.  I'm not completely insane :smileywink: 

I am nerdier than 71% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Ingra is offline   Reply With Quote