EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Mesme

Well much to my regret, I deleted the post. I thought this message board was supposed to be a way to share other ideas with Warlocks about playing our class.  But instead the consensus is to keep everything quiet and figure things out for themselves for fear of getting nerfed. I still don't understand why I watch guardians and paladins stand toe to toe with group mobs and no one seems to find that unusual.  But, if I try to demonstrate that Warlocks can do the same thing, then its all of a sudden its  a reason for us to get nerfed. For the time spend killing the mob (as well as the risk factor), I don't think its an unfair advantage.  If I could chain pull solo mobs I would probably get the same amount of exp in the same time frame.  The problem (and this is my main complaint) is that there are not enough solo mobs.  I spend all of my time dodging all the group mobs trying to find solo mobs.  I 'm trying to adapt to the situation by learning how to tackle group mobs when the solo ones are not available. Anyway, I'm sorry to all the warlocks I [Removed for Content] off by the original post.

Message Edited by Mesmer2 on 04-26-2005 04:31 AM

Mesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
Eadric

Loremaster

Oh well...nothing to see here I guess.

Message Edited by Eadric on 04-27-2005 03:10 PM

Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Tanatus

Loremaster

Oki sorta  stupid question here...

Bony Grasp 36s duration 45s recast (timer starts as soon as spend lands right?) so you have 9s gap between expiration and ability to recast it again

Class trait at lvl 40 upgrade our long stun into 10.7s duration one 2s cast, FlashFreeze 1s cast 3.8s duration, Gnevious Blast 3s cast 4.5s duration, Putrid Cloud same. So I guess what I am trying to say why bother with Frozen Manacle? The only case then you get in trouble if stun resist..... Toss here fact that at lvl 35 you get decent trinary nuke IceFlame aside of 800 damage it snare mob by 69%. So I simply dont see much reason to worry about with such big arrays of stuns.

I am not yet happy user of Bony grasp (4 more lvls to go) but at lvl 36 I dont have much problem in soloing double up... Pull with BSS, hit with FlashFreeze, hit with Dark Aura (or what ever name 9s stun), hit with BSS again (timer reseted now), Frozen Manacles then and only then I make my distance no HO just rotate BSS/Nox Bolt and keep Frozen Mancle refreshed. If Manacle resisted run till flashfreeze reset

Tanatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
Eadric

Loremaster

Or here...

Message Edited by Eadric on 04-27-2005 03:10 PM

Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Tanatus

Loremaster

Well not really...
FlashFreeze along do NOT give you enouth time to get off frozen manacles (unless you querry manacles) but flashfreeze give usually enouth time to get off next combos
Flashfreeze - Iceflame - DarkAura .... after you have enouth time what ever you like to do
Flashfreeze-DarkAura-Frozen Manacles .... again now you can do what ever you want
I really dont use palalizing fear for anything esle but soliting heroic encounters that have 2 mobs - very slow cast time and unrelaible fear
Tanatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Eadric

Loremaster

Okay. Good luck. :smileyhappy:
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Mild und Lei

Tara's Necrotic Nebula, which is a trait spell at level 40, is very useful imo, I'd suggest throwing it in the mix somewhere as it's pretty reliable.
__________________
Pyramid Song the Relic Keeper
50 Erudite Warlock
Unrest
Mild und Lei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
Eadric

Loremaster

Mild und Leise wrote:
Tara's Necrotic Nebula, which is a trait spell at level 40, is very useful imo, I'd suggest throwing it in the mix somewhere as it's pretty reliable.

Yeah, I use the stuns when I have a bad string of resists to get control of the situation.
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:58 AM   #9
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar

The OP should've entitled this thread "How to get high-level Warlocks nerfed." Surely the better warlocks among us had figured this strategy out, but I could use the explanation, if asked, that I had to retreat or died half as many times as I was successful (adds/broken roots/stuns, etc.) This and the wizard 30-second root are highly overpowered, and now you've managed to publicly let the cat out of the bag.

In fact (since no one's opposed to bragging in this thread), myself and a 48 Wiz chain-pull Tundra Terrors in Everfrost for around 1 1/2%/pop with vitality. In case you hadn't noticed, this was not the devs intentions. No class should be able to solo even or higher level group mobs. They've said this repeatedly. Why not just keep yer yapper shut and enjoy the ability til it's inevitably nerfed. S'what I did. Oh well, I'm a hair from 50, almost done grinding til expansion, and rarely use the ability in groups. S'the up-and-coming warlocks who now aren't going to be able to enjoy this luxury who should be pis sed. Imo, y'all should let this thread fade away.

-Kairos

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:00 AM   #10
Max122

Loremaster
Max122's Avatar

Plus sometimes the bony grasp doesnt stay on the full 36 secs i have seen it drop while soloing up to about 7 to 8 secs early. I just cast the level 40 upgrade stun throw one more nil distortion in and then root with frozen manacles followed by bony grasp as it refreshes.
Max122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:05 AM   #11
Tevilspek

Loremaster
Tevilspek's Avatar

I find my process to be a bit different. Maybe I'm just not as careful.

I do use Chaotic Maelstrom, as the debuff/added damage to nukes I find to be very beneficial.

Bony Grasp -> ChaoticM -> HO starter -> NilDis -> DarkDis -> HO -> NoxBolt -> IceFlame (if time is looking good on Bony), then re-root with FrozMan... wait... Bony Grasp.. repeat.

Sometimes, if I feel more cautious, I'll pull with Deter or Tara's Stunning Goodness, then cast Bony, so that if Bony is resisted I have a few secs to [Removed for Content].

I have no problem with roots breaking from CM. I usually cast Frozen Manacles with 15sec left on Bony. Then get off my horse, Spud, do a /dance, /thumb and /moon, get back on my horse, and recast Bony.

Ok, I'm joking... I don't do /moon, that's just rude.

[Edit]

Just read Kairos' post:

You're right in that a thread like this is pretty silly, and is a good route to nerfdom. But the way I see it, it's a forgone conclusion that Bony will get nerfed into uselessness. Is just a matter of when the Devs 'get around to it'. So brag while ye can I say. Personally I find this sort of hunting to be a waste of time vs xp, and I don't find the loot vs time to be any good either, especially when permanently out of vitality like I am. The best xp imo is quests. And yes, that's just my opinion!!

As for Bony, enjoy it while we have it.

Message Edited by Tevilspek on 04-26-2005 10:13 AM

__________________

(Now on Naggy)
Tevilspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #12
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar

Heh. Yeah, you're right Tevil. I just got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I saw the title of this thread :smileysad:. Don't mean to be a bummer.Guess I'd already realized it was only a matter of time too. Oh well, was definitely fun while it lasted. Happy hunting :robottongue:.

-Kai

__________________
Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
Alfred75

Loremaster

Goodness!! Warlocks are going to be nerfed because of some show-off post!! Bad news for new warlocks to be .... muahahaha ... you want me to put a link to this post in all the forums for you OP?
Alfred75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
Orki who Pos

You'd probably be amazed if you knew hos many classes can solo high blue and above group mobs reliably... hell even dirges can do it.

Illusionists (not coercers) can do it by mezzing while moving, root the mob, nuke it till it breaks, then run off while casting mez over your shoulder, till it sticks, then repeat..

Their only limiting factor is their damage output, and it's not as bad as all that. Especially if they dot too. (requires longer runs)

Most scout classes can cast snare while moving, this makes blue group x2 mobs doable if you have some time, and even con single group mobs with a decent speed. Imbued bows with poison hits harder than you think on a snared mob if you buy real arrows.

Yesterday i watched a lvl 35 guardian in varsoon killing the tempered clay room (he didnt do the named mobs) he was killing lvl 33 mobs just by tanking em down, they didnt hit him mutch. Keep in mind that guardian buffs gets alot better at later levels, raising their effective level vs the mobs to incredible amounts.

(The guy i watched had really good gear)

Zerkers doing blue ^^'s
> http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=4&message.id=10616&jump=true

Guardians doing em
> http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=3&message.id=9909&query.id=75221#M9909
> I have a 43 guardian, and I can solo 41st level herioc encounters, provided they are all melee classes

And so on and so forth..

There used to be a long thread on the gameplay forum about shadowknights doing blue group x2 mobs aswell..

Most/all healers can do atleast blue group mobs if their gear is decent. (Even mystics after the haze nerf)

And if you go for duos, it gets better still. warrior/templar, warlock/defiler, warden/mystic and so on. Toss in mana regeneration items and they'r just amazing.

So while it might seem overboard that a wizard/warlock can kill a group mob at 40+, it's not as incredible as you might think at first glance...

Message Edited by Orki who Posts on 04-26-2005 04:18 PM

__________________
While I must accept having no ETA for the rebirth of Christ..
Please post one for the promised coercer/healer balancing.

Orki who Pos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #15
Tanatus

Loremaster

Orki right btw...

Guardians can farm fire toads rather easy (major sourse of master chest nowdays), brigands (!!!!) can easy take down some named in Everfrost (I withnessed how lvl 50 brigand was farming bloodtristy leopard ... in the end he had over 50% health left). lvl 50 SK soloed Broodmother in Everfrost.. Monks/Bruisers soloing Dread Satar in Feerrott ... Heck you will lough I picked on that dread Satar with my coercer (no I did not win but I damage him good before I got bad roll on my mez). Paladin can solo most named mobs that not epic and at least 2 lvls below em...

Let me empasys this - only few classes in game cannt solo double ups in current stage of game namely coercers. On other hand only few classes can solo double ups efficient ...

Tanatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #16
Eadric

Loremaster

Yeah, there are tons of classes that can solo heroic encounters. My own experience has shown me that I can get more loot and xp faster by killing solo encounters though. It takes just a few seconds to kill a solo mob and almost no downtime. I can roll on and on getting tons of chests and experience.
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:14 PM   #17
Tanatus

Loremaster

Eadric exactly ... more over I notice that I can exping fast via solo then via group - trick is pick right targets. Best prey is 2 mob that are link solo conned, no arrow. Take around 40s total to kill well make it 45-60s
Tanatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:09 AM   #18
Alfred75

Loremaster

Tanks got the nerf bat after casters whined about their ability to sol stuff like broodmother. Their HO Sky Cleave no longer heals them eberytime they activate, so they have great problems with named mobs. I don't want these nerfs to Warlocks because of either showoffs or whiners. I thought its great that the OP removed his thread. Basically the more people post about these stuff, the more prominence warlocks get, and the greater the probability of warlocks being number 1 on the nerf list. Remember these long lost words on the forums: SPEECH IS SILVER, SILENCE IS GOLD

Message Edited by Alfred75 on 04-27-2005 01:25 AM

Alfred75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:18 PM   #19
Dae

Like anything else we post or link is going to make any difference whatsoever. Everyone knows who can and can't solo what and have already whined about it plenty of times. The nerf bats falls randomly. Just depends what Sony get around to in each update. I was testing Bony Grasp out last night to get used to how the root over-lapping works and get the timing down. So far as I could tell killing double arrow white cons would give slightly faster xp than soloing trash mob after trash mob. Not to mention the higher risk makes it more fun to do. I doubt I'd have any luck killing yellow cons or linked group mobs however.

Message Edited by Daerv on 04-27-2005 01:19 AM

__________________

Wormwood Hex - Ratonga! - [Warlock (50) / Tailor (50)]
Ponk Fury - Ratonga! - [Berserker (not 50)]
D Khar - Splitpaw Server
Dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #20
Tanatus

Loremaster

Yep that's a point - I have been screwing around picking fights with different targets solo-duo (with warden)-group. Albeit my warlock still in his childhood (lvl 36.SMILEY but still pathern VERY clear..

Good group in RE (assuming nobody screw up) - about 25%/hour top - most group wont hit that mark w/o vita

Solo - on a single solo conned targets w/o vita each kill even cons around 0.1% each kill take around 30s, on single yellow con solo mob 0.2-0.25% kill take same 30s ... Now pay attention! Group heroic blue con (sirens) kill take around min and halth .... 0.4-0.5%. You may ask why the hell sirens??? well answer simple they casters aka have crappy hp so I can kill each of em with 2-3 nukes, they cons blue so thier spells wont hurt me much and since they casters their melee skills rather pathetic. Now the caviar... solo conned group of 2 monster (no arrows) - time to kill 45-60s exp per kill 0.4-0.5% depenind on con. So hunting solo w/o vita killing exclusive solo yellow cons singles and group of 2 mobs I was able grind easy 20%/hour w/o vita. Killing single heroic mobs green-blue cons was possible but exp a little better compare to 2 linked mob coned solo but time it take to kill simply not worth efforts

Duo with warden (she was just healing) - I skip details but will say that absolutely best prey was group 3-5 arrow down mobs that conned solo

Tanatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #21
Max122

Loremaster
Max122's Avatar

I dont think the soloing aspect of bony grasp will get this spell nerfed as it does take awhile and the risk is high to do this with resists and such. There are other ways to use it and some of them may be what does this spell in.
Max122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #22
Sac_jok

Mesmer2, don't beat youself up over or apologize for your words. Your intentions were VERY clear and good...the only problem is the possible fall-out from it. We love what we can do and would love not to see our class nerfed in any further way.  We also know that they may not pay much attention to our posts, but they do pay attention. Things that we complain about (or brag about) most of the times get fixed (or broken even further), but things do happen as a result of these posts.

Thank you for the attempt to try to share your battle tactics.

Let's not beat up on a fellow Warlock for attempting to share something good with us. :smileysad:

Message Edited by Sac_joker on 04-27-2005 12:36 PM

__________________
Warlock of the 41sth Order
Samoa Yorath of the Black Arts
aka Death Himself
Knights Templar
Sac_jok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:11 AM   #23
Eadric

Loremaster

The first rule about Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 AM   #24
Sac_jok

Eadric wrote:
The first rule about Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.

LMFAO, you got a point...I yeild to thee, Sir Eadric. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Sac_joker on 04-28-2005 08:05 AM

Warlock of the 41sth Order
Samoa Yorath of the Black Arts
aka Death Himself
Knights Templar