EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Pixiewrath
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Aristocrats

Loremaster

In two months or so the next expansion will come out.I look forward to it a lot, especially since we will get to see two similiar zones in different shapes. It will be awesome.But looking back at DoV, what can be better made with this expansion, and are there things you've missed in recent ones?Personally, I have a few things I hope will improve:1. The most drastic one I can think of is spellchecking and overall quality in writing. While the main story contained good grammar and lore in both Great Divide/EW and WL (most of the times with some exceptions), the side quests are somewhat atrocious in the way the NPCs say things.So please, PROOFREAD! I never want to see this kind of thing in a text again:

2. More interesting quest rewards.In Great Divide and EW, the rewards were decent and if nothing else you got some cool house items, both in normal quests and repeatable ones. In WL most quests either gave you gear that you mostly got better from killing nameds anyway from like 8 quests, and aside from the crafting quests, the rest only gave you plain, hard, cash. Extremely boring. At least give us some furniture. There are tons of new objects in WL that were added, like the spiky trees, so why couldn't we get one of those in a quest for example?

3. Avoid so much repeatable quests or make them wort the time!Again, this mostly concerns the WL GU. In DoV Part 1, the repeatable quests had furniture as a reward. With WL, all we got was cash, cash and more cash. Which is boring. If you put in repeatable quests, at least give us house items or make the quest rewards increasing witch each time you do it, until you can't do it anymore. Like the EoF repeatables. I loved to do them because you could actually complete them with some time and effort spent into them. Noone likes to see the entire map covered in feathers that you can't get rid of. Faction rewards are also okay for these kinds of quests.4. More books and book quests.EQ2 has tons of good lore, but in the last expansions, it feels like the writing has been cut down severely. Not only does books give tons of depth, the quests can also be used as ways for people to bide their time. While some of them can be really hardcore (completed all the book quests in Rivervale or Temple of Cazic-Thule anyone?) it gives you a reason to continue slaughtering mobs. I love to go out and kill tons of mobs to see the story or book uncover a new page.A lot of people who play EQ2 like lore and role playing in overall and books are a vital part of that style.5. The scrying stone game... Forgotten?This is more of a wish than an improvement, but since the Ethernere consist of a revisualized Feerroott... Can we please get more scrying stone game goodness here? Not only is it addicting to do the scrying stone game, but also it DID contain tons of skeletons popping up every now and then so it has to be tied to the Ethernere somehow. I know people miss this feature and it would be awesome to have it back again.6. Finally, more DM items bought with tokens.We need more items to use our Dungeon Maker Tokens on. There is for example only one mount there as it is now. Maybe let us buy extra Dungeon Slots using tons of tokens? Anything to make us spend them rather than hoarding them. Tokens usage is about so much more than just gear.

Pixiewrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
SteelPiston

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

3. Avoid so much repeatable quests or make them wort the time!Again, this mostly concerns the WL GU. In DoV Part 1, the repeatable quests had furniture as a reward. With WL, all we got was cash, cash and more cash. Which is boring. If you put in repeatable quests, at least give us house items or make the quest rewards increasing witch each time you do it, until you can't do it anymore. Like the EoF repeatables. I loved to do them because you could actually complete them with some time and effort spent into them. Noone likes to see the entire map covered in feathers that you can't get rid of. Faction rewards are also okay for these kinds of quests.5. The scrying stone game... Forgotten?This is more of a wish than an improvement, but since the Ethernere consist of a revisualized Feerroott... Can we please get more scrying stone game goodness here? Not only is it addicting to do the scrying stone game, but also it DID contain tons of skeletons popping up every now and then so it has to be tied to the Ethernere somehow. I know people miss this feature and it would be awesome to have it back again.

3.   ARRRRRGHH!!.  I hate repeatables that only give 29 gold. Withered Lands is a minefield of them.  PLEASE put a giant  "R" over the npc's head after I have taken the quest once.

4.   I like idea of the "Scrying Stone" game for higher levels. It should be resurrected with some really decent random rewards. I used to like the surprise, whether is was a nice reward or being attacked by a Heroic skelly.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Leawyn

Loremaster

PLEASE NO MORE FURNITURE REWARDS!!!!! I got so tired of looting stupid furniture in DOV pt1. That stuff should be put on a merchant somewhere so people who want it can get it, but people who don't aren't forced to pick up a bunch of useless crap. I remember some of the furniture was no-value even, so you couldn't even sell it.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Deago

Loremaster

The grammer made me lol and remember playing translated asian mmorpgs.   Still I do not believe they have a huge resource team on this 

I like repeat quests that yield the same reward as a normal quest.  Reason?  If they require the same time why not have the same exp? gold?  And do not say "well you know where to go already" etc... in the state of eq2 today with eq2i, addons etc... You always know where to go and what to do most of the time.  

Yeah furniture rewards make me sad.  Yar! I destroyed the heroic super orc and all I got was this couch..../mug_npc

Elite mercs on sc or CE mmmk  

Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Kaitheel

Dev

Pixiewrath, I have really appreciated your typo reports through the years.  The reports you submitted in anticipation of the Qeynos Risen content being released were especially helpful.  Even before the content was on the Test servers you were running through the old content in Qeynos, the hamlets, and adventure yards submitting reports (some of that content had been in game since launch).  That was great!  It made the launch of the new content that much stronger!

The importance of proofreading and spell checking can not be overstated.  It is something that we should not allow ourselves to be lax about.

That said... Thank you, and all of the rest of our diligent typo reporters out there!

~Kaitheel

Old 09-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

Kaitheel wrote:

Pixiewrath, I have really appreciated your typo reports through the years.  The reports you submitted in anticipation of the Qeynos Risen content being released were especially helpful.  Even before the content was on the Test servers you were running through the old content in Qeynos, the hamlets, and adventure yards submitting reports (some of that content had been in game since launch).  That was great!  It made the launch of the new content that much stronger!

The importance of proofreading and spell checking can not be overstated.  It is something that we should not allow ourselves to be lax about.

That said... Thank you, and all of the rest of our diligent typo reporters out there!

~Kaitheel

I almost typo report everything I find, even if it is just something banal like an extra space somewhere. I did notice a lot of the writs were mentioned in the update notes though and that got a positive reaction from me, that someone finally noticed it. (I.e. some Droag writ in Tenebrous if I recall correctly.)I have sent a few mistake typos though where I misunderstood things and regret it afterwards, but it doesn't happen too often.Out of curiousity, do you know exactly how many typo reports I've submitted? Must be around 4-500 at least? SMILEY

Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

I like repeat quests that yield the same reward as a normal quest.  Reason?  If they require the same time why not have the same exp? gold?  And do not say "well you know where to go already" etc... in the state of eq2 today with eq2i, addons etc... You always know where to go and what to do most of the time. 

But the time to pick up those quests and kill all the mobs in them isn't giving enough incentive. It is quicker to just erase the quest items once you've finished them once or twice and continue slaughtering mobs without being bound to a certain mob type.Some people don't like furniture, but others like myself do. And the people that don't want it can always sell it on the broker. I almost got mad from all the fishes and chairs I got from the othmirs and gnolls in Great Divide, but it's still better than boring cash. Also, in WL, many of the quests you get are randomly dropped from quest starter items so these items should be rarer since people don't grind there so much.You can't just hand out gear from repeatable quests because it becomes too easy.Appearance gear would work though. I remember I did a quest in old Qeynos, where your reward was random each time you did it in the Peat Bog. (Or was it non-repeatable? Quest reward was random anyway.) That would have been fun on those repeatables. To have an appearance set or two where you got random pieces each time you completed the quest. That way you would have something to strive for at least. I could probably spend half a day or more near those termite holes to finish an appearance set with all those repeatable quests that drop there. Elite gaming maybe, but rewarding.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

One repeatable quest I liked a lot is the one for the starving halfling on the TS docks. A choice of zones to do it in, & each one of them brought a choice of house rewards. More repeatables like that would please me greatly.

Repeatable quests otherwise make my inner quester cry.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
SteelPiston

Loremaster

An update to the deity quests would be nice. The last one in the current quest line is level 70. New level 80 and 90 ones are required.

The miracle and blessings used to be really good when you were level 70 and worth getting. Most are hardly worth using for a level 80/92.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
Masako
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Vigilance

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

An update to the deity quests would be nice. The last one in the current quest line is level 70. New level 80 and 90 ones are required.

The miracle and blessings used to be really good when you were level 70 and worth getting. Most are hardly worth using for a level 80/92.

Ohhhh this! Deity quests, their blessings, and their miracles could all use a huge upgrade. While they're not completely useless now, they could be so, so much better with updates. I've been crossing my fingers for an update on these for a while now. Devs, this would be a good little area of the game to expand on!

-| Master Carpenter and Decorator |-

Olisha - Necromancer - Crushbone | Nari - Illusionist - Crushbone | Xailah - Dirge - AB

Masako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

Ohhhh this! Deity quests, their blessings, and their miracles could all use a huge upgrade. While they're not completely useless now, they could be so, so much better with updates. I've been crossing my fingers for an update on these for a while now. Devs, this would be a good little area of the game to expand on!

The very reason I made this thread. A huge game with so many features become forgotten or neglected over the years...

Old 09-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
Hateeternal

Loremaster

2. More interesting quest rewards.

In Great Divide and EW, the rewards were decent and if nothing else you got some cool house items, both in normal quests and repeatable ones. In WL most quests either gave you gear that you mostly got better from killing nameds anyway from like 8 quests, and aside from the crafting quests, the rest only gave you plain, hard, cash. Extremely boring. At least give us some furniture. There are tons of new objects in WL that were added, like the spiky trees, so why couldn't we get one of those in a quest for example?4. More books and book quests.EQ2 has tons of good lore, but in the last expansions, it feels like the writing has been cut down severely. Not only does books give tons of depth, the quests can also be used as ways for people to bide their time. While some of them can be really hardcore (completed all the book quests in Rivervale or Temple of Cazic-Thule anyone?) it gives you a reason to continue slaughtering mobs. I love to go out and kill tons of mobs to see the story or book uncover a new page.A lot of people who play EQ2 like lore and role playing in overall and books are a vital part of that style.

I strongly disagree on those to points.

It was utterly annoying in DoV to get a stupid house item / plushy / furniture thingy for EVERY ******* Quest.

I am an adventurer, I don't care about fluff stuff so why is it forced on me in such a frontal way?

I do respect the play style of decorating and all, but please make them have their own quest(lines)

so that all this trash won't take up all the space in a bag of someone who just wants to progress their adventure

and face fights and all...

Not getting a handy reward like an item that you could really need is one thing,

but getting all this trash (and I'm sorry but that's what it is to me) instead is so much worse.

SOE Schedule:

8:00: see what isn't broken yet and break it

10:00: ban players complaining about it on the board

11:00: implement stuff noone wants, that breaks other stuff

-repeat-
Hateeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

Hateeternal wrote:

I strongly disagree on those to points.

It was utterly annoying in DoV to get a stupid house item / plushy / furniture thingy for EVERY ******* Quest.

I am an adventurer, I don't care about fluff stuff so why is it forced on me in such a frontal way?

I do respect the play style of decorating and all, but please make them have their own quest(lines)

so that all this trash won't take up all the space in a bag of someone who just wants to progress their adventure

and face fights and all...

Not getting a handy reward like an item that you could really need is one thing,

but getting all this trash (and I'm sorry but that's what it is to me) instead is so much worse.

Nothing prevents you from selling or destroying them.Another thing that could need some love is an update to the Personal Harvest Depot. With the release of new materials in DoV part 2 it is nearing it's limits. If you also are a transmuter, there is no way you can keep components for all tiers.Wouldn't mind it being 150 or 200 slots instead of 100 like it is now. Only barely enough room for all tiers of components (for your current profession) and a few rares.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
Reeso

Loremaster

Why not give the furniture as recipes to carpenters...anyone loving decorating has atleast one no? SMILEY after i did the gnoll q about 20+ times i was rather annoyed by the furniture...one can only have so many fish buckets oO
Reeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Juggercap

Elder

In two months or so the next expansion will come out.I look forward to it a lot, especially since we will get to see two similiar zones in different shapes. It will be awesome.But looking back at DoV, what can be better made with this expansion, and are there things you've missed in recent ones?Personally, I have a few things I hope will improve:1. The most drastic one I can think of is spellchecking and overall quality in writing. While the main story contained good grammar and lore in both Great Divide/EW and WL (most of the times with some exceptions), the side quests are somewhat atrocious in the way the NPCs say things.So please, PROOFREAD! I never want to see this kind of thing in a text again:

2. More interesting quest rewards.In Great Divide and EW, the rewards were decent and if nothing else you got some cool house items, both in normal quests and repeatable ones. In WL most quests either gave you gear that you mostly got better from killing nameds anyway from like 8 quests, and aside from the crafting quests, the rest only gave you plain, hard, cash. Extremely boring. At least give us some furniture. There are tons of new objects in WL that were added, like the spiky trees, so why couldn't we get one of those in a quest for example?

3. Avoid so much repeatable quests or make them wort the time!Again, this mostly concerns the WL GU. In DoV Part 1, the repeatable quests had furniture as a reward. With WL, all we got was cash, cash and more cash. Which is boring. If you put in repeatable quests, at least give us house items or make the quest rewards increasing witch each time you do it, until you can't do it anymore. Like the EoF repeatables. I loved to do them because you could actually complete them with some time and effort spent into them. Noone likes to see the entire map covered in feathers that you can't get rid of. Faction rewards are also okay for these kinds of quests.4. More books and book quests.EQ2 has tons of good lore, but in the last expansions, it feels like the writing has been cut down severely. Not only does books give tons of depth, the quests can also be used as ways for people to bide their time. While some of them can be really hardcore (completed all the book quests in Rivervale or Temple of Cazic-Thule anyone?) it gives you a reason to continue slaughtering mobs. I love to go out and kill tons of mobs to see the story or book uncover a new page.A lot of people who play EQ2 like lore and role playing in overall and books are a vital part of that style.5. The scrying stone game... Forgotten?This is more of a wish than an improvement, but since the Ethernere consist of a revisualized Feerroott... Can we please get more scrying stone game goodness here? Not only is it addicting to do the scrying stone game, but also it DID contain tons of skeletons popping up every now and then so it has to be tied to the Ethernere somehow. I know people miss this feature and it would be awesome to have it back again.6. Finally, more DM items bought with tokens.We need more items to use our Dungeon Maker Tokens on. There is for example only one mount there as it is now. Maybe let us buy extra Dungeon Slots using tons of tokens? Anything to make us spend them rather than hoarding them. Tokens usage is about so much more than just gear.

1. You've been complaining about this for quite a long time. It should be something easy to fix, especially when people are giving feedback, but I still think it's incredibly minor in the grand scheme of things.

2. I'm a fan of interesting quest rewards. I thought it was hilarious when during a single questline, I got the exact same lore item twice. Did they think I would mistakenly delete it and need another? Is that what new players do?

3. Repeatable quests suck...no matter the reward. Boring, lazy, fake content. The same goes for faction grinding...which it sounds like we're about to see more of.

4. Book people have fun. I don't care for them, but I'm in favor of having more of them.

5. Scrying? So bad. So bad. So bad. Boring as hell on release. I see no need to focus on this time waster.

6. Blah. DM. That's all that needs to be said. Give the creative people the ability to actually create dungeons and then worry about what the tokens are useful for. Definitely not in favor of increasing usable in-game items for tokens.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Hateeternal wrote:

Considering how many quests there are that give adventuring gear, I was pretty happy to get tons of house items as quest rewards.

Different people are different, I guess.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

this! ^^  

and what of erollisi marr and ullllkorrollurullullluk? we did the quests for them seems like ages ago, they seem like slackers taking this long to find a prophet and some followers SMILEY

ArtemisClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
Gilasil

Loremaster

I agree with several points but strongly disagree with others:

1.  I agree.  Typos and horrible grammer have to go.

2.  The overall intent of the WL quests is great and I hope they do it again.  That is, if you do all the quests you end up in a pretty solid gear situation.   They obviously messed up in a few places (multiples of the same lore item for example) and that needs to be addressed, but overall I think they did it right.  Also, since there aren't all that many slots, it's unreasonable to expect every quest in a chain to give a substantial reward.  The money is a little reward for a quest in the middle of a quest line.  To get to the gear you have to get to the end.  I think that's reasonable.

The solo SS quests were a disaster for gear for me and I'd hate to rely on something like them to become ready for group content.  My beastlord NEVER got something he could even equip. I got tons of mage gear with a little fighter gear sprinkled in.  Nothing else.  It got to be a running joke.  After awhile I gave up.  For SS it didn't matter because I'd run through the WL quests, but if those WL quests hadn't gotten me geared up I'd have been in trouble.

3.  I really hope they have repeatable quests although I agree with others they should be tagged in some way.  If I log on and there is simply nothing to do, a repeatable quest might be a way to spend some enjoyable time.  I think house items are a great reward for some repeatables although there needs to be a fairly large selection.  I have one character with a basement full of those otter drums you get in Great Divide -- that got to be a bit much.    Give me 10 or 20 choices though and it would be great to do. 

Repeatables could also give appearance item rewards which can be fun.   Perhaps the choices might consist of a matching set of appearance items.  Repeat the quest enough times to get the full set.  Obviously all the repeatables can't give a big selection and a decent cash reward might be good for people who are hurting for money. 

Another possibility would be a repeatable line of quests.  That is, an entire quest line that you can repeat.  Perhaps you can only start it if you don't have any of the intermediate quests active.  The intermediate quests give a little cash and the final gives something more substantial -- although the reward should have some variety.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

Gilasil wrote:

2.  The overall intent of the WL quests is great and I hope they do it again.  That is, if you do all the quests you end up in a pretty solid gear situation.   They obviously messed up in a few places (multiples of the same lore item for example) and that needs to be addressed, but overall I think they did it right.  Also, since there aren't all that many slots, it's unreasonable to expect every quest in a chain to give a substantial reward.  The money is a little reward for a quest in the middle of a quest line.  To get to the gear you have to get to the end.  I think that's reasonable.

I didn't mean gear. It was provided enough. But it could have used some more furniture, illusions, petamorph wands etc to spice it up inbetween the gear gains. The worst reward that exist is plain coins, next to only getting exp."Fun" stuff is good to add to quests because they don't make you stronger so you can add a lot more of them without it affecting the balance of the player.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
Juggercap

Elder

Gilasil wrote:

I didn't mean gear. It was provided enough. But it could have used some more furniture, illusions, petamorph wands etc to spice it up inbetween the gear gains. The worst reward that exist is plain coins, next to only getting exp."Fun" stuff is good to add to quests because they don't make you stronger so you can add a lot more of them without it affecting the balance of the player.

Give us an option maybe.

I don't want furniture. I don't want illusions. I definitely have no use for petamorph wands.

If you think coin and xp is useless, choose the other reward.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

Juggercap wrote:

Gilasil wrote:

Give us an option maybe.

I don't want furniture. I don't want illusions. I definitely have no use for petamorph wands.

If you think coin and xp is useless, choose the other reward.

I don't think that is possible with how loots work today, unless they add a "coin box" just like the mystery crates but with coins. That would have worked. Then again, coin can always be complimentary. Nothing that says you won't get coin just because something else comes with it.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Regolas

Loremaster

I LOVE the skyshrine HEROIC questlines and we need more of that. Get people wanting to group for a common goal. Questlines should be available for solo, group and raid content, giving decent gear rewards and providing structure to progression through access questlines and I guess faction too, although faction grinding isn't fun. I thought skyshrine was really well done. It was just small. But then it's only a GU and not an expansion so I'm hoping for more of the same... just lots more.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote