EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Another double XP weekend down, and at least 4 more friends personally slighted as a result.

Let me explain.

I promised my son to PL him this past weekend as a reward for some excellent things hes done recently.  Maybe not your typical father-son activity, or parent-child reward, but we're both avid gamers and he wanted a 92 troub to raid on since his paladin is never needed.   So sure, lets have some fun.

We set out to the task, and in the first 3 hours he has ~200 aa and is level 30 something.  The problem is, friends in guild are watching this activity and some are getting a combination of upset, angry, jealous, or somewhere in between.  I get no less than a dozen tells asking 'can I tag along on toon x?'.

The problem being, if I add another person to the group, the xp cuts in half and it doubles the time to level.  If I add 4 more, it drastically cuts into the time required to level, as for each person that adds to the group, that is net that much less XP rewarded.   Now adding people doesn't cause mobs to die faster, as the only limiting factor to gaining XP in this game is how many mobs you can find up and can be mass pulled without breaking leash range.

Unfortunately, I didn't really have the free time to commit to even what I promised my son, and I certainly didn't have the time to dedicate to the task if I brought 3-4 others along with me.  So, I had to tell my friends, "sorry, soe math wont allow me to invite you".

In short, the game would be better if there was no penalty for bringing more people into a group.  In fact it would be much better.  Not only would I not have been forced to turn away my friends, I would have been able to share contested dungeons with others doing the same thing rather than pooping all over their experience by killing every mob before they could.  I'd much rather be put in a situation where I'm motivated to work with others than against them.

I think this also extends outside of double xp and power leveling situations, as even in normal game play, we shouldn't be motivated to exclude people from adventuring since adding more people only lowers the xp.  You've designed a game that motivates us to bring the minimum people needed to accomplish a task (to be exclusive) verses bringing everyone who'd like to come along (to be inclusive).

I think you've made an egregious mistake in how XP is rewarded, and I know there have been dozes of threads over the past 5 years about this, and you've chosen to ignore all of them without a response or change, but I figure what the heck, I'll add one more of my own for you to ignore.

Have a good day.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Juggercap

Elder

The grouping penalty is incredibly silly, and it's always nice to see another specific example of why that is. I hope your son got close to where he wanted to be, and I hope that your guildies were accepting of the idea that you weren't spending your holiday weekend powerlevelling everything that moves when the penalty for grouping is so bad.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Juggercap wrote:

The grouping penalty is incredibly silly, and it's always nice to see another specific example of why that is. I hope your son got close to where he wanted to be, and I hope that your guildies were accepting of the idea that you weren't spending your holiday weekend powerlevelling everything that moves when the penalty for grouping is so bad.

Thanks.

Accross the entire weekend, we only had 7 hours of total play time.  I had other commitments and couldn't complete the task.  He ended on level 85 with 285 AA.  The remaining bit I hope to help him finish over the next week or two as we do his myth and access quests and what not.  He had a blast doing what we set out to do.

Some of my guildies on the other hand are still giving me the cold shoulder cause I excluded them, and I hate that SoE put me in that position.  I would have gladly brought them along if it didn't greatly impact the time required to accomplish what I had promised.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Drupal

Elder

While I agree with the idea that grouping should offer xp bonuses, I do not like the idea of the same bonus applying when power leveling / mentoring down.

You would simply see everyone 6 boxing then SMILEY.

Drupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Juggercap

Elder

Ulrichvon wrote:

Juggercap wrote:

Thanks.

Accross the entire weekend, we only had 7 hours of total play time.  I had other commitments and couldn't complete the task.  He ended on level 85 with 285 AA.  The remaining bit I hope to help him finish over the next week or two as we do his myth and access quests and what not.  He had a blast doing what we set out to do.

Some of my guildies on the other hand are still giving me the cold shoulder cause I excluded them, and I hate that SoE put me in that position.  I would have gladly brought them along if it didn't greatly impact the time required to accomplish what I had promised.

Sorry to hear that you've got guildies giving you grief.  I'm sure they'll get over it soon. If by random chance you're on Permafrost, I'd be happy to help get your son to 90+. These are the types of situations where I actually want to help random strangers instead of responding to the channel spam asking for powerlevels

Run away! Run away!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

It would be awesome if grouping didn't bring a penalty with it.

But it would be equally awesome if the OP's guildies knew what the mechanic was & gave SOE the cold shoulder, instead of the OP. & if they know the mechanic, but just don't care .... then ... well, I'll stop there.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Drupal wrote:

While I agree with the idea that grouping should offer xp bonuses, I do not like the idea of the same bonus applying when power leveling / mentoring down.

You would simply see everyone 6 boxing then .

I'm also not sure if bonuses need to be in for grouping, but at the very least I feel it shouldn't have an innate penalty.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

But it would be equally awesome if the OP's guildies knew what the mechanic was & gave SOE the cold shoulder, instead of the OP. & if they know the mechanic, but just don't care .... then ... well, I'll stop there.

I think they just don't understand the mechanic completely.  Or, they've not experienced it first hand so don't have a full apreciation of how much longer it takes to do with more people in the group.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
redwoodtreesprite

Loremaster

The problem is not the way grouping XP is set up.  The idea is, the less time it takes to defeat mobs makes up for the lower XP per mob.

Sorry, but your problem is those guild members.  Spending a quality weekend with your son should not be a reason for people in your guild getting mad at you.

redwoodtreesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

I think they just don't understand the mechanic completely.  Or, they've not experienced it first hand so don't have a full apreciation of how much longer it takes to do with more people in the group.

It's a double edged blade, and you have to look back a long way to understand why things are like they are now.There used to be a time where killing heroic encounters was... not a trivial task. Zones were easily capable of supporting multiple groups "grinding" at the same time. Getting the extra people in actually helped, because when EXPing, you would spend a lot of time engaged in actual combat with mobs. Back then, the way the "EXP Pie" was divided on a kill, was quite reasonable. If an extra DPSer wanted to join, you would normally benefit from it.I would have to go back and look at some older posts I made, where I detailed the impact on EXP per kill , each time a new group member was added. If I recall off the top of my head, going from 2 people to 3 people, was about a 40% exp hit. So there is not a "penalty" on a mathematical level, you would actually benefit from adding more people.... IF, and ONLY if, there was a never ending supply of mobs with no more than 1 second downtime between encounters, and all members of the group were blasting out consistent DPS. In short, never gonna happen.Now?Mobs just melt, especially in low level content. Any decently geared character is like a demi-god, and any mentored down character is a god. It is fire and brimstone, destruction and armageddon. Entire rooms get pulled and mobs just vanish in a plume of DPS carnage. One group (of 3-4) can clear an entire zone, and then sit around waiting for respawns, especially on any old-zone content. The time+effort to get the "EXP Pie" (kill) has been trivialized, especially when mentoring is involved (but also without, tbh). We easily hit a point where we spend most of our time running from A to B, and very little time killing mobs. Mobs are dying in 2-3 swings, and will still die in 2-3 swings, regardless of if the group has 2 people in it, or 6. So going from 2 people in group, to 6 people in group, would only be worth while if you can absolutely guarantee you will kill 3 times as many mobs per hour. Very few zones have respawn rates and mob densities high enough to support this.In short, the EXP system used in EQ2 is no longer relevant to actual gameplay. It needs an overhaul.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Juggercap

Elder

redwoodtreesprite wrote:

The problem is not the way grouping XP is set up.  The idea is, the less time it takes to defeat mobs makes up for the lower XP per mob.

Sorry, but your problem is those guild members.  Spending a quality weekend with your son should not be a reason for people in your guild getting mad at you.

That might be the idea, but the idea is flawed. If anyone at SOE actually played the game, they'd recognize it. Grinding solo is faster than grouping. That alone ruins most chances for actual new players finding groups with anyone who knows (or cares) how to level quickly. Alts are boring. I don't want them to be auto-90 or anything, but there's no chance that I'm going to grind with some random noob that slows me down and steals half my xp. Grouping penalty is stupid, and has been for nearly a decade now. I'm waiting for someone in RED to finally acknowledge that, but won't hold out hope.

Run away! Run away!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

redwoodtreesprite wrote:

Even in level appropriate groups, I din't think this is really true anymore.  These old dungeons, creatures just melt, but perhaps your right for some players this may still be true.

In reality, I don't think how players approach this content, that it is still true that more people means you defeat more mobs in the same time period.  The primary floodgate is the respawn timer, not the number of mobs, their hp level, or time to kill.

I think the game in the end would be better rather than dividing the mobs xp reward by the number of group members, it just rewarded the entire pool to each member.  Yes, it might encourage more boxing, but I think thats a small minority of players.  I believe strongly that it would encourage every day players to group up more.

Heck, it would atleast not penalize the guy boxing to invite someone else in the area.   I know other games are smarter about this and will even auto group players in the same area together.  I would just much rather see things that didn't discourage cooperation and being inclusive of other players.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Juggercap

Elder

Ulrichvon wrote:

redwoodtreesprite wrote:

Even in level appropriate groups, I din't think this is really true anymore.  These old dungeons, creatures just melt, but perhaps your right for some players this may still be true.

In reality, I don't think how players approach this content, that it is still true that more people means you defeat more mobs in the same time period.  The primary floodgate is the respawn timer, not the number of mobs, their hp level, or time to kill.

I think the game in the end would be better rather than dividing the mobs xp reward by the number of group members, it just rewarded the entire pool to each member.  Yes, it might encourage more boxing, but I think thats a small minority of players.  I believe strongly that it would encourage every day players to group up more.

Heck, it would atleast not penalize the guy boxing to invite someone else in the area.   I know other games are smarter about this and will even auto group players in the same area together.  I would just much rather see things that didn't discourage cooperation and being inclusive of other players.

Even for actual new players, the superpowered itemization and AAs available at low levels make soloing more XP friendly. People group because they want to group. People solo if they want to level quickly.

Run away! Run away!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

redwoodtreesprite wrote:

Lower the base EXP awarded per kill from heroic mobs. (to be the same as if in a group of 2 or 3)Give all group members the full EXP per kill from heroic mobs, regardless of group size.Someone asks if they can join your grind group? Absolutely, invite incoming... What? You're new to the game and have bad gear? Does not matter, welcome!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

It's a double edged blade, and you have to look back a long way to understand why things are like they are now.There used to be a time where killing heroic encounters was... not a trivial task. Zones were easily capable of supporting multiple groups "grinding" at the same time. Getting the extra people in actually helped, because when EXPing, you would spend a lot of time engaged in actual combat with mobs. Back then, the way the "EXP Pie" was divided on a kill, was quite reasonable. If an extra DPSer wanted to join, you would normally benefit from it.I would have to go back and look at some older posts I made, where I detailed the impact on EXP per kill , each time a new group member was added. If I recall off the top of my head, going from 2 people to 3 people, was about a 40% exp hit. So there is not a "penalty" on a mathematical level, you would actually benefit from adding more people.... IF, and ONLY if, there was a never ending supply of mobs with no more than 1 second downtime between encounters, and all members of the group were blasting out consistent DPS. In short, never gonna happen.Now?Mobs just melt, especially in low level content. Any decently geared character is like a demi-god, and any mentored down character is a god. It is fire and brimstone, destruction and armageddon. Entire rooms get pulled and mobs just vanish in a plume of DPS carnage. One group (of 3-4) can clear an entire zone, and then sit around waiting for respawns, especially on any old-zone content. The time+effort to get the "EXP Pie" (kill) has been trivialized, especially when mentoring is involved (but also without, tbh). We easily hit a point where we spend most of our time running from A to B, and very little time killing mobs. Mobs are dying in 2-3 swings, and will still die in 2-3 swings, regardless of if the group has 2 people in it, or 6. So going from 2 people in group, to 6 people in group, would only be worth while if you can absolutely guarantee you will kill 3 times as many mobs per hour. Very few zones have respawn rates and mob densities high enough to support this.In short, the EXP system used in EQ2 is no longer relevant to actual gameplay. It needs an overhaul.

Very clearly explained, awesome post sir!

I don't know the specific mathmatics, I just know even bringing one more person almost doubles the amount of time I need to spend in each zone to reach the points I've plotted to move on with.  Ie, I like to stay in FG until level 25 and 150 aa.   Adding one more person in the group almost doubles the time it takes (if the zone is completely uncontested), but since the zones are contested, the longer I need to spend there the more likely I'm going to but heads with others trying to do the same thing.

All in all, its a soup sandwhich.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Juggercap

Elder

[email protected] wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Very well said. This is an ancient (ok...not ancient) mechanic that needs to be looked at. In all the timewasting that's done changing things that don't need to be changed, maybe take a break and change something that should be.

Run away! Run away!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

In short, the EXP system used in EQ2 is no longer relevant to actual gameplay. It needs an overhaul.

Excellent post.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Cloudrat

Tester

Drupal wrote:

No, you wouldn't  see everyone 6 boxing and so what for those who do lol

As for upset guildies, maybe turning off events so as not to spam the guild with the speed leveling of your sonSMILEY

But, most of all why in the heck is there  a penalty for grouping  ??  It is counterproductive no matter how you look at it.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Lizabethan

Philosopher

Ulrichvon wrote:

Another double XP weekend down, and at least 4 more friends personally slighted as a result.

Let me explain.

I promised my son to PL him this past weekend as a reward for some excellent things hes done recently.  Maybe not your typical father-son activity, or parent-child reward, but we're both avid gamers and he wanted a 92 troub to raid on since his paladin is never needed.   So sure, lets have some fun.

We set out to the task, and in the first 3 hours he has ~200 aa and is level 30 something.  The problem is, friends in guild are watching this activity and some are getting a combination of upset, angry, jealous, or somewhere in between.  I get no less than a dozen tells asking 'can I tag along on toon x?'.

The problem being, if I add another person to the group, the xp cuts in half and it doubles the time to level.  If I add 4 more, it drastically cuts into the time required to level, as for each person that adds to the group, that is net that much less XP rewarded.   Now adding people doesn't cause mobs to die faster, as the only limiting factor to gaining XP in this game is how many mobs you can find up and can be mass pulled without breaking leash range.

Unfortunately, I didn't really have the free time to commit to even what I promised my son, and I certainly didn't have the time to dedicate to the task if I brought 3-4 others along with me.  So, I had to tell my friends, "sorry, soe math wont allow me to invite you".

In short, the game would be better if there was no penalty for bringing more people into a group.  In fact it would be much better.  Not only would I not have been forced to turn away my friends, I would have been able to share contested dungeons with others doing the same thing rather than pooping all over their experience by killing every mob before they could.  I'd much rather be put in a situation where I'm motivated to work with others than against them.

I think this also extends outside of double xp and power leveling situations, as even in normal game play, we shouldn't be motivated to exclude people from adventuring since adding more people only lowers the xp.  You've designed a game that motivates us to bring the minimum people needed to accomplish a task (to be exclusive) verses bringing everyone who'd like to come along (to be inclusive).

I think you've made an egregious mistake in how XP is rewarded, and I know there have been dozes of threads over the past 5 years about this, and you've chosen to ignore all of them without a response or change, but I figure what the heck, I'll add one more of my own for you to ignore.

Have a good day.

While I do agree about the grouping issue, the thing here is that your son's quality time with you is way more important than PLing your guildies. It may have been a double xp weekend, but they could've found something to do on their own ~

Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Ulrichvon wrote:

Drupal wrote:

I'm also not sure if bonuses need to be in for grouping, but at the very least I feel it shouldn't have an innate penalty.

^^ that.  Bonuses might be awkward as mercenaries count as grouping.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
salty21db

Loremaster

Everyone should know at this point that I'm an avid supporter of grouping being enforced/enticed over soloing.

At this late in the game and how the game is currently setup I don't see that working very well.  Giving no penalty for grouping AND having solo the primary way to level wouldn't be very good imo.  And making it the proper way where grouping would be favored OVER soloing would take an entire game rework.  Definately how I want to see it in the next game though where grouping is much more rewarding than soloing and where soloing can be done but with great effort or skill.

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
gourdon

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Very clearly explained, awesome post sir!

I don't know the specific mathmatics, I just know even bringing one more person almost doubles the amount of time I need to spend in each zone to reach the points I've plotted to move on with.  Ie, I like to stay in FG until level 25 and 150 aa.   Adding one more person in the group almost doubles the time it takes (if the zone is completely uncontested), but since the zones are contested, the longer I need to spend there the more likely I'm going to but heads with others trying to do the same thing.

All in all, its a soup sandwhich.

Neither of you understand the very simple math unfortunately.  In the case where there is a power leveler involved, the power leveled individual gets a half share of the xp from the encounter and the other half goes to the power leveler.  Obviously, the power leveler probably doesn't need the xp and has it massively reduced by mentoring penalties.  When a second power leveled player gets added, each player gets one third of the xp.  As a result, the first power leveled character has a 1/3 reduction in the amount of xp they get from 1/2 to 1/3.  However, because a second character is getting 1/3 of the xp, the power leveler is actually getting more power leveling done for their time spent.  Instead of 1/2 of the xp going to the power leveled, 2/3 is.  Each time an individual is added to the group, each player's xp goes down by a factor of 1/n , where n is the new number of players in the party.  This also means that the share of the xp that is being thrown away is also going down by 1/n.  As you add more members, the hit to each member is smaller and the work done by the power leveler goes up.

At the end of the day, you maximized the amount of power leveling your son received, but you minimized the benefits of your labor.  The problem is with the way you and your guild mates look at the situation, not EQ2.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

At the end of the day, you maximized the amount of power leveling your son received, but you minimized the benefits of your labor.  The problem is with the way you and your guild mates look at the situation, not EQ2.

You should work in economics...

The net result, adding more players makes it take longer, not the opposite.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
Regolas

Loremaster

I also had the OPs issue but on a smaller scale of just one person from my guild wanting a piece of my super xp pie. I just sucked it up and allowed him to tag along for 3 hours. Got my 90AA and L90-92 over about 6 hours on my two alts 2 boxing, and no sad guildmates thinking I'm mean!
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
Garhix
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Avatars

Loremaster

Here is what I do.. Under guild managment go to "Event Filters" and check "Don't generate guild events for this character".  

Rest of the guild is none the wiser on what im doing except for levels but only if they are paying attention.

Garhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Anybody that gets upset about their guildie not wanting to power level them has some serious entitlement issues and should analyze their own attitude.

That being said, assuming your guildies are your friends and EQ2 is a game about community, you should try to include them. I understand wanting to spend quality time with your son, but at the end of the day, EQ2 is about sharing experiences not how much exp you've earned. Maybe your son would have liked hanging out with your guildies, too?

I managed to solo-level my dirge and wizard, as well as group with my guildies on several alts this weekend, making sure that everybody was having a good time and nobody felt left out.

Grouping may include an exp penalty, but it also has a fun bonus!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #27
Jrel
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Blackstar Rising

Loremaster

I complained about grouping xp sometime last year or earlier, and players at that time said it was fine (and quite a few who are popular posters on here). 

I'd post the link, but out of the 32 topics created by me, the forum database only comes up with 2; funny that....

Jrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #28
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

SOE didn't "put" you into any situation.  Your guildies are just being whiny jerks.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #29
KNINE

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

Let me explain.

Have a good day.

really lol.. im guessing that as they were watching you lvl your son. .they could've been out pwr lvling themselves.. problem isnt the xp.. problem is people are just too lazy cause they've done it once, twice, 3 times.. plus and don't want to do it anymore.. just like you see people spamming channel for people to pwr lvl them and they will pay lol.. tell your guildies they just need to grow up and learn not to be lazy.. your quality time is more important with you kid(especially if he plays with you) than your guildies at the time... if they can't understand that, then they aren't too bright.

KNINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #30
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

Just tell your guildies that they should be happy that they didn't have to sit all weekend looking at you grind Cove of Decay repeatedly and having to zone out/zone in every 2 minutes.

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote