EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Haciv

Loremaster

Seriously, this has been a major issue since RoK.  Will there ever be an update to make temp pets viable again?  The fact that they don't have shared stats makes them completely worthless and they might as well just be a fun spell at this point at level 92.

Part of the core skills that Mages, and to a lesser degree other classes, get are these useless abilities.  For Wizards they have Protoflame and Forge of Ro.  For Warlocks there is Netherlord, Acid Storm, and the Broodlings.  Summoners get at LEAST 3 or more of these skills a piece.  Coercer has the Puppets.  Then there's healers too...  Fury has the Ring of Fire and Ball Lightning.  Warden has the Tree and Faerie.  Mystic has Lunar Attendant.  Even Scouts are affected as well, there's Band of Thugs for Brigand.  One Fighter's mythical effect (Pally) is one of these useless pets.  I'm sure there's others out there, but these are the most common ones I know of.

I honestly hope this will be addressed at some point in the near future.  Either make them viable, or turn them into fun spells.  Thanks.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Ferunnia

Loremaster

Viable would be nice, as I said in my post on the spells/abilities page. I'm sure seeing an entire AoE dumbfire pet do less damage over its entire duration than ONE TARGET of a normal AoE ability is disheartening for any furies out there that were maybe excited to get those abilites...I know I /facepalmed when I did the extensive parsing that I did to get those numbers I posted.

Ferunnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
Daalilama
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

Forgot templars hammer...a strong breeze from a named passing gas can kill it.

Daalilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Alarra

Journeyman

Coercer puppetmaster triggers Hostage, still viable, but other than that use, it doesn't contribute much in terms of direct damage.

Alarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Haciv

Loremaster

Kinda suprised no one else really posted on this.  Would really like to see these spells be worth casting at some point.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Well, a few years back the class dev wanted to replace them with just dots, but some less informed people in the summoner communities complained about it removing flavor from the class, so you got stuck with  what you have =/

Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
NG23985_01

Loremaster

If they do decide to make limited pets share stats from the caster or do something else to make them useful, it will create a substantial imbalance among the classes who have them. The way the game is now, classes are pretty much balanced around the idea that the limited pets are useless.Sorcerers would gain relatively little from having these pets fixed. Brigands (thugs) and Rangers (hawk) would probably barely notice the difference. Assassins, Swashbucklers and Bards would gain nothing at all. The Summoner subclasses, who already parse too high for being T2 DPS, would get a substantial boost to their DPS because they have more of these types of spells, like you said. If they did fix limited pets, you'd see Summoner parses jump up quite a lot compared to everybody else so in order to keep things from getting to the point of being absurdly overpowered, a much more significant rebalancing of classes would have to take place. They'd have to either lower Summoner's DPS in other areas (reduced spell damage, fewer DoT ticks, restrict pets from being allowed to trigger damage procs like Peace of Mind, etc.) or else they'd have to give everybody else (including Wizard, Warlock, and Scouts) more DPS through their existing abilities. This necessary rebalancing would be in addition to the time they'd need to spend to modify the way the pets work. In short, I think it would just be too much effort for the current team. They just don't seem interested in taking on big-ticket items such as this.On the other hand, it would be nice to make them useful. If it were up to me, I'd just ditch the whole limited pet idea and replace them with nukes, DoTs, etc. The problem lies in the bigger imbalances that would be created if they do fix the limited pets. The DPS classes are at least a little bit out of whack as it stands. We don't need a "limited pet fix" to go and completely upset the DPS ranks. It is already hard enough to compete against some of the existing overpowered bullcrap that exists already. (Such as Summoners getting roughly triple damage procs from Peace of Mind, etc. that non-pet folks get.) They can't just go and give more DPS to everybody who has these limited pet spells without causing a serious balance problem. The classes that don't have any of these limited pets would be most harmed really.My advice, just take your limited pet spells off your hotbar and forget about them. There is no good solution, unfortunately.

NG23985_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
zehly

Loremaster

You forgot to mention the two Illusionist dumbfires, Illusiory Allies (which memwipes as well), and Doppelganger. The latter being more useless than the former.

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

My necromancer still uses Blighted Horde all the time when soloing, just not for damage.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Daalilama
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

I once had about a 30 min conversation in vent with a dev (neighbor of one of my guildies from a former guild) about this and few other issues...I suggested that swarm pets get a moderate nuke attached to them that go off if they die before their timer runs out (swarm pets tend to last .3 secs anyway before an add or named kills them and the ones that do last are meh on damage).  Dev said he'd run it up the chain as class issues wasnt something he was responsible for...tbh not sure what could be done to make them viable now except than make them dots/nukes.

Daalilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
Davngr1

Loremaster

just turn them into visible dots.     this has been an issue since they broke them back in LU 33 or something

Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

I wish there was some solution to make them useful while still retaining their concept. Limited pets are a fun idea, it's just a shame the mechanics involved just don't seem to work in practice. It would be a real shame just to turn them into DoTs with a weird visual component, especially since they'd likely be fairly ineffective in such a form, anyway.

Something does need to be done, though. Especially in the case of necromancers, who really only have a very small number of spells that are actually worth casting in a DPS rotation. One of the first pieces of advice I end up giving new necromancers is to never use temporary pets, and they always seem to die a little on the inside when they hear that casting those really cool-sounding spells tend to actually lower their DPS.

I'd love to see Blighted Horde be useful for something besides simply dropping hate via Arcane Bewilderment.