EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Zahk
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Liquid

Loremaster

Exactly as the thread title states... this is going live tomorrow, please tell us how to disable it.  Thanks.

Zahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
ttobey

Developer

Don't turn it on and you will be completely unaffected by it.

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Zahk
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Liquid

Loremaster

Good to hear, thanks for the response. SMILEY

Zahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
ttobey

Developer

Actually,

Unplug your web cam before you start the game. It will launch if it sees you have a web cam. Should that happen, there is one disable button you can push which will also turn it off.

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Yimway

Loremaster

So that annoying thing that popped faces up all over my screen isn't going live with SoEmo?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

I'm glad I don't even have a webcam .....

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
ttobey

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

So that annoying thing that popped faces up all over my screen isn't going live with SoEmo?

You will have to move your mouse to the left lower side of the screen and click the disable button if that happens. I just tried it. It took 1.01 seconds for me, but I bet you can do it faster. I'm old.

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Absynthia
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Sweet Salvation

Blushing Fae

Ttobey our personal pictures are not broadcast to others, are they? I really dont want to do my hair *giggles

Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Calthine

ZAM EQII

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

Unplug your web cam before you start the game. It will launch if it sees you have a web cam. Should that happen, there is one disable button you can push which will also turn it off.

Kinda bugs me that I have to remove hardware to disable it.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Yimway

Loremaster

ttobey wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

You will have to move your mouse to the left lower side of the screen and click the disable button if that happens. I just tried it. It took 1.01 seconds for me, but I bet you can do it faster. I'm old.

Previously, that just closed the screen and I would get spammed with these over and over.  As long as disable stops that from ever popping again, I'm happy.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Haciv

Loremaster

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

What about for people using a notebook with a web cam built in?  Would you have to disable every launch, or just one time?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
ttobey

Developer

Haciv wrote:

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

What about for people using a notebook with a web cam built in?

You may have to put your left foot in, and your left foot out, put your left foot in and shake it all about and THEN push the disable button.

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Haciv

Loremaster

ttobey wrote:

Haciv wrote:

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

What about for people using a notebook with a web cam built in?

You may have to put your left foot in, and your left foot out, put your left foot in and shake it all about and THEN push the disable button.

You do the SOEmote and you turn yourself around.  That what it's all about.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Jrral

Loremaster

ttobey wrote:

This could be a problem. People using custom UIs won't have the disable button, so won't have any way to disable the camera. And broadcasting the video from a webcam without explicit user consent would be... bad. Broadcasting video of minors without the parent's consent could run afoul of the law in many places. You may want to reconsider and have it off by default, requiring explicit user action to turn the camera on.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Absynthia

Blushing Fae

I was serious with my question, is there a chance that when I log in players will see my real life face? Or my daughters? I really do not want that please 

Thanks Ttobey

Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
ttobey

Developer

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I was serious with my question, is there a chance that when I log in players will see my real life face? Or my daughters? I really do not want that please 

Thanks Ttobey

I haven't seen that happen.

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Yimway

Loremaster

Thanks Ttobey

Video is not sent from your camera.  Your camera feeds an image to your client software that plots points on the facial images it recognizes then sends the locations of those points accross the internet to soe servers that then adjust those display points on the character model.

So, no there is no broadcasting of video going on with SoEmo.

An SoE person should probably make a nice detail explanation of this and put it in a FaQ somewhere.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

[email protected] wrote:

Thanks Ttobey

Video is not sent from your camera.  Your camera feeds an image to your client software that plots points on the facial images it recognizes then sends the locations of those points accross the internet to soe servers that then adjust those display points on the character model.

So, no there is no broadcasting of video going on with SoEmo.

An SoE person should probably make a nice detail explanation of this and put it in a FaQ somewhere.

I can see where it is kind of confusing with Smedley's post on it having his face and the character's.

A detailed FAQ would be nice, I agree.  Along with other points.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Absynthia

Blushing Fae

Thank you SMILEY

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Wirewhisker
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

How many people were sitting around the "issues that need to be dealt with" round table and said "oooh!! good answer!!" when this "feature" was floated??

"Cap'n?? The ship is taking on water!!"

"..."

"So...what do you all think about installing a flower planter in the fo'c'sle?"

Does nobody else find this utterly ludicrous?

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Mightydan

Historian

Some of you are concerned about the game broadcasting images of you to the server. Everything done with the webcam is client-side and the client only sends character animation data to the server. No webcam footage is published.

Mightydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Yimway

Loremaster

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

When they needed something interesting to get free press from E3. I expect this was a feature that was planned for eqnext but identified as something they could go forward with in eq2 with low effort of entry and high payoffs in free press.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Zygar

Loremaster

How many people were sitting around the "issues that need to be dealt with" round table and said "oooh!! good answer!!" when this "feature" was floated??

"..."

It's being implemented in EQ Next...So they're bug testing it here, duh!

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
Yimway

Loremaster

Mightydan wrote:

Some of you are concerned about the game broadcasting images of you to the server. Everything done with the webcam is client-side and the client only sends character animation data to the server. No webcam footage is published.

Wow, 1st post, wonder who this really is =)

But yes, and it should be in a FAQ and linked to in the announcement and patch notes so that people who aren't familiar with the technology have their fears put to rest.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
Bumfit

Loremaster

why couldnt we have gotten more new content,  do the devs really think this kind of fluff is that important to us?  

Utilizing new tech is always cool, but i think all this effort could have been spent elsewhere.  Kind of a moot point now, but just my thoughts.

Bumfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Wirewhisker
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

Zygar wrote:

"..."

I just don't see 3 hours today being an adequate bugtest period.

Because that's about how long it will last before people forget about it and/or shut it off.

That is, assuming people have webcams...and the desire to use it...and an audience...and that they know it's even there.

(to the last point: Yet another person came into a public channel tonight and said "what're these Ethereal weapons? Why didn't we get told about them?" -- this is what happens when patch notes are on the forums and not right in your face, requiring a Close-Window to get past them like in EQ1)

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
Zygar

Loremaster

Zygar wrote:

"..."

Because that's about how long it will last before people forget about it and/or shut it off.

That is, assuming people have webcams...and the desire to use it...and an audience...and that they know it's even there.

(to the last point: Yet another person came into a public channel tonight and said "what're these Ethereal weapons? Why didn't we get told about them?" -- this is what happens when patch notes are on the forums and not right in your face, requiring a Close-Window to get past them like in EQ1)

You apparently didn't realize when I said Eq Next I meant EQ3, titled EQ Next. They'll have months to test it here in EQ2

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
Juggercap

Elder

Zygar wrote:

Zygar wrote:

"..."

You apparently didn't realize when I said Eq Next I meant EQ3, titled EQ Next. They'll have months to test it here in EQ2

You apparently didn't realize that they were saying nobody here cares, and they won't get much data since nobody will be using it.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #29
Vinyard

Loremaster

tbh, im turning it on right away once the servers come up, and I'll see just how silly of faces I can make (hoping to get some meme ones going on)

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
Grawler2

Loremaster

Tobey instead of making jokes with people's questions why don't you answer them properly or is it to simple for you?  Find it really sad to see SOE people make fun of clients. Nice PR job lol.

Grawlerfang Warden lvl 23

Skeldarkday Necromancer lvl 90 Master Sage
Bugjaw weaponsmith 90
Wuso ranger lvl 52 Provissioner 90 Dansang 90 woodworker Awkef 90 jeweler Barfly 90 tailor Redhawk 90 armorer Bagofwind 90 carpenter
Grawler2 is offline   Reply With Quote