EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Zahk
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Liquid
Rank: Duke

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 54
Default

Exactly as the thread title states... this is going live tomorrow, please tell us how to disable it.  Thanks.

Zahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
ttobey

Developer
ttobey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,126
Default

Don't turn it on and you will be completely unaffected by it.

__________________
Tom Tobey

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Zahk
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Liquid
Rank: Duke

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 54
Default

Good to hear, thanks for the response. SMILEY

Zahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
ttobey

Developer
ttobey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,126
Default

Actually,

Unplug your web cam before you start the game. It will launch if it sees you have a web cam. Should that happen, there is one disable button you can push which will also turn it off.

__________________
Tom Tobey

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

So that annoying thing that popped faces up all over my screen isn't going live with SoEmo?

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

I'm glad I don't even have a webcam .....

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
ttobey

Developer
ttobey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,126
Default

[email protected] wrote:

So that annoying thing that popped faces up all over my screen isn't going live with SoEmo?

You will have to move your mouse to the left lower side of the screen and click the disable button if that happens. I just tried it. It took 1.01 seconds for me, but I bet you can do it faster. I'm old.

__________________
Tom Tobey

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Absynthia
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Sweet Salvation
Rank: Princess

Blushing Fae
Absynthia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 75
Default

Ttobey our personal pictures are not broadcast to others, are they? I really dont want to do my hair *giggles

__________________
Absynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

Unplug your web cam before you start the game. It will launch if it sees you have a web cam. Should that happen, there is one disable button you can push which will also turn it off.

Kinda bugs me that I have to remove hardware to disable it.

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

ttobey wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

So that annoying thing that popped faces up all over my screen isn't going live with SoEmo?

You will have to move your mouse to the left lower side of the screen and click the disable button if that happens. I just tried it. It took 1.01 seconds for me, but I bet you can do it faster. I'm old.

Previously, that just closed the screen and I would get spammed with these over and over.  As long as disable stops that from ever popping again, I'm happy.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Haciv

Loremaster
Haciv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 278
Default

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

Unplug your web cam before you start the game. It will launch if it sees you have a web cam. Should that happen, there is one disable button you can push which will also turn it off.

What about for people using a notebook with a web cam built in?  Would you have to disable every launch, or just one time?

__________________
Haciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
ttobey

Developer
ttobey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,126
Default

Haciv wrote:

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

Unplug your web cam before you start the game. It will launch if it sees you have a web cam. Should that happen, there is one disable button you can push which will also turn it off.

What about for people using a notebook with a web cam built in?

You may have to put your left foot in, and your left foot out, put your left foot in and shake it all about and THEN push the disable button.

__________________
Tom Tobey

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Haciv

Loremaster
Haciv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 278
Default

ttobey wrote:

Haciv wrote:

ttobey wrote:

Actually,

Unplug your web cam before you start the game. It will launch if it sees you have a web cam. Should that happen, there is one disable button you can push which will also turn it off.

What about for people using a notebook with a web cam built in?

You may have to put your left foot in, and your left foot out, put your left foot in and shake it all about and THEN push the disable button.

You do the SOEmote and you turn yourself around.  That what it's all about.

__________________
Haciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Jrral

Loremaster
Jrral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,610
Default

ttobey wrote:

You will have to move your mouse to the left lower side of the screen and click the disable button if that happens. I just tried it. It took 1.01 seconds for me, but I bet you can do it faster. I'm old.

This could be a problem. People using custom UIs won't have the disable button, so won't have any way to disable the camera. And broadcasting the video from a webcam without explicit user consent would be... bad. Broadcasting video of minors without the parent's consent could run afoul of the law in many places. You may want to reconsider and have it off by default, requiring explicit user action to turn the camera on.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Absynthia
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Sweet Salvation
Rank: Princess

Blushing Fae
Absynthia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 75
Default

I was serious with my question, is there a chance that when I log in players will see my real life face? Or my daughters? I really do not want that please 

Thanks Ttobey

__________________
Absynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
ttobey

Developer
ttobey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,126
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I was serious with my question, is there a chance that when I log in players will see my real life face? Or my daughters? I really do not want that please 

Thanks Ttobey

I haven't seen that happen.

__________________
Tom Tobey

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I was serious with my question, is there a chance that when I log in players will see my real life face? Or my daughters? I really do not want that please 

Thanks Ttobey

Video is not sent from your camera.  Your camera feeds an image to your client software that plots points on the facial images it recognizes then sends the locations of those points accross the internet to soe servers that then adjust those display points on the character model.

So, no there is no broadcasting of video going on with SoEmo.

An SoE person should probably make a nice detail explanation of this and put it in a FaQ somewhere.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant
SisterTheresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,250
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I was serious with my question, is there a chance that when I log in players will see my real life face? Or my daughters? I really do not want that please 

Thanks Ttobey

Video is not sent from your camera.  Your camera feeds an image to your client software that plots points on the facial images it recognizes then sends the locations of those points accross the internet to soe servers that then adjust those display points on the character model.

So, no there is no broadcasting of video going on with SoEmo.

An SoE person should probably make a nice detail explanation of this and put it in a FaQ somewhere.

I can see where it is kind of confusing with Smedley's post on it having his face and the character's.

A detailed FAQ would be nice, I agree.  Along with other points.

__________________
SisterTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Absynthia
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Sweet Salvation
Rank: Princess

Blushing Fae
Absynthia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 75
Default

Thank you SMILEY

__________________
Absynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage
Rank: Leader

Loremaster
Wirewhisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 582
Default

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

How many people were sitting around the "issues that need to be dealt with" round table and said "oooh!! good answer!!" when this "feature" was floated??

"Cap'n?? The ship is taking on water!!"

"..."

"So...what do you all think about installing a flower planter in the fo'c'sle?"

Does nobody else find this utterly ludicrous?

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Mightydan

Historian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Some of you are concerned about the game broadcasting images of you to the server. Everything done with the webcam is client-side and the client only sends character animation data to the server. No webcam footage is published.

Mightydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

When they needed something interesting to get free press from E3. I expect this was a feature that was planned for eqnext but identified as something they could go forward with in eq2 with low effort of entry and high payoffs in free press.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Zygar

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ar-keen-saw
Posts: 48
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

How many people were sitting around the "issues that need to be dealt with" round table and said "oooh!! good answer!!" when this "feature" was floated??

"Cap'n?? The ship is taking on water!!"

"..."

"So...what do you all think about installing a flower planter in the fo'c'sle?"

Does nobody else find this utterly ludicrous?

It's being implemented in EQ Next...So they're bug testing it here, duh!

__________________
***********************
Zygar Cthulhukin of Veeshan
92 Half-elven Swashbuckler
92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

***********************
Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

Mightydan wrote:

Some of you are concerned about the game broadcasting images of you to the server. Everything done with the webcam is client-side and the client only sends character animation data to the server. No webcam footage is published.

Wow, 1st post, wonder who this really is =)

But yes, and it should be in a FAQ and linked to in the announcement and patch notes so that people who aren't familiar with the technology have their fears put to rest.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
Bumfit

Loremaster
Bumfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16
Default

why couldnt we have gotten more new content,  do the devs really think this kind of fluff is that important to us?  

Utilizing new tech is always cool, but i think all this effort could have been spent elsewhere.  Kind of a moot point now, but just my thoughts.

Bumfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage
Rank: Leader

Loremaster
Wirewhisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 582
Default

Zygar wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

How many people were sitting around the "issues that need to be dealt with" round table and said "oooh!! good answer!!" when this "feature" was floated??

"Cap'n?? The ship is taking on water!!"

"..."

"So...what do you all think about installing a flower planter in the fo'c'sle?"

Does nobody else find this utterly ludicrous?

It's being implemented in EQ Next...So they're bug testing it here, duh!

I just don't see 3 hours today being an adequate bugtest period.

Because that's about how long it will last before people forget about it and/or shut it off.

That is, assuming people have webcams...and the desire to use it...and an audience...and that they know it's even there.

(to the last point: Yet another person came into a public channel tonight and said "what're these Ethereal weapons? Why didn't we get told about them?" -- this is what happens when patch notes are on the forums and not right in your face, requiring a Close-Window to get past them like in EQ1)

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
Zygar

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ar-keen-saw
Posts: 48
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Zygar wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

How many people were sitting around the "issues that need to be dealt with" round table and said "oooh!! good answer!!" when this "feature" was floated??

"Cap'n?? The ship is taking on water!!"

"..."

"So...what do you all think about installing a flower planter in the fo'c'sle?"

Does nobody else find this utterly ludicrous?

It's being implemented in EQ Next...So they're bug testing it here, duh!

I just don't see 3 hours today being an adequate bugtest period.

Because that's about how long it will last before people forget about it and/or shut it off.

That is, assuming people have webcams...and the desire to use it...and an audience...and that they know it's even there.

(to the last point: Yet another person came into a public channel tonight and said "what're these Ethereal weapons? Why didn't we get told about them?" -- this is what happens when patch notes are on the forums and not right in your face, requiring a Close-Window to get past them like in EQ1)

You apparently didn't realize when I said Eq Next I meant EQ3, titled EQ Next. They'll have months to test it here in EQ2

__________________
***********************
Zygar Cthulhukin of Veeshan
92 Half-elven Swashbuckler
92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

***********************
Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

Zygar wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Zygar wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I'm curious at what point a decision was made that, rather than fix numerous documented issues, some of which should require mere minutes to perhaps an hour of a dev or QA's time, that instead we'll launch a project to have peoples' avatars' faces match the expression on their RL face, should they have a webcam.

How many people were sitting around the "issues that need to be dealt with" round table and said "oooh!! good answer!!" when this "feature" was floated??

"Cap'n?? The ship is taking on water!!"

"..."

"So...what do you all think about installing a flower planter in the fo'c'sle?"

Does nobody else find this utterly ludicrous?

It's being implemented in EQ Next...So they're bug testing it here, duh!

I just don't see 3 hours today being an adequate bugtest period.

Because that's about how long it will last before people forget about it and/or shut it off.

That is, assuming people have webcams...and the desire to use it...and an audience...and that they know it's even there.

(to the last point: Yet another person came into a public channel tonight and said "what're these Ethereal weapons? Why didn't we get told about them?" -- this is what happens when patch notes are on the forums and not right in your face, requiring a Close-Window to get past them like in EQ1)

You apparently didn't realize when I said Eq Next I meant EQ3, titled EQ Next. They'll have months to test it here in EQ2

You apparently didn't realize that they were saying nobody here cares, and they won't get much data since nobody will be using it.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #29
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster
Vinyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 690
Default

tbh, im turning it on right away once the servers come up, and I'll see just how silly of faces I can make (hoping to get some meme ones going on)

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
Grawler2

Loremaster
Grawler2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 65
Default

Tobey instead of making jokes with people's questions why don't you answer them properly or is it to simple for you?  Find it really sad to see SOE people make fun of clients. Nice PR job lol.

__________________
Tomfu Bruiser lvl 75

Grawlerfang Warden lvl 23

Skeldarkday Necromancer lvl 90 Master Sage
Bugjaw weaponsmith 90
Wuso ranger lvl 52 Provissioner 90 Dansang 90 woodworker Awkef 90 jeweler Barfly 90 tailor Redhawk 90 armorer Bagofwind 90 carpenter
Grawler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:09 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.