EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Tenseo

Augur

Cant belive this game have so many Servers,im on Freeport the server is dead WHERE are the PLAYERS ?

Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Tenseo wrote:

Cant belive this game have so many Servers,im on Freeport the server is dead WHERE are the PLAYERS ?

You must be joking right?  Freeport has been and is hopping.  The chat has been flying by all day.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Tenseo wrote:

They're all at level 85+, or in instances farming with their mercenaries, or both.

Also, it's summer vacation, & this game is nearly 8 years old. Still, like Deadcrickets said ... 1-9 chat has been flying all morning long, so I dunno what you're not seeing.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
japanfour

Loremaster

Pretty sure the population on freeport is only rivaled by Antonia bayle, you must be playing at 3 AM or something. Go to another server and see the difference.

japanfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Sixten
Server: Crushbone

Loremaster

many, many euro players have quit due to the upcoming transition.

Sixten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

Tenseo wrote:

They're all at level 85+, or in instances farming with their mercenaries, or both.

Also, it's summer vacation, & this game is nearly 8 years old. Still, like Deadcrickets said ... 1-9 chat has been flying all morning long, so I dunno what you're not seeing.

Thinking about it more he might be talking about some of the starter zones.  Unlike some games like WoW, EQ2 doesn't have a central hub where people go.  Thousands of zones, hundreds of guilds with guild halls on every server... the populace is majorly spread out.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
salty21db

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Tenseo wrote:

Thinking about it more he might be talking about some of the starter zones.  Unlike some games like WoW, EQ2 doesn't have a central hub where people go.  Thousands of zones, hundreds of guilds with guild halls on every server... the populace is majorly spread out.

Being "spread out" is fine imo.

Want to get down to the root of the problem is that MOST MMOs at this point are soloable aside from endgame.

Should make sure that is understood.  We are playing a "Massive Multiplayer Online" where almost everything is soloable lol.  Where has my genre gone? SMILEY

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Kasar

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

Should make sure that is understood.  We are playing a "Massive Multiplayer Online" where almost everything is soloable lol.  Where has my genre gone?

Team FPS and RTS, hence Planetside 2.. the first was a fun game, until a new executive developer came along and changed things.

As an MMO, I played WoW in beta, didn't like the handholding it did, but liked the graphics, animation, and depth SOE was putting out better, so came here.  Over the years, everything I disliked about Warcraft has been implemented, often not as well, and player population has seemed to follow. 

Seeing the developer's roundtable forum locked down, I think they've finally stopped pretending to care about user input.  They'll just add things borrowed from the games they actually play, so they can discuss things on Blizzard's forums.  They have less downtime anyway.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
salty21db

Loremaster

Kasar wrote:

salty21db wrote:

Should make sure that is understood.  We are playing a "Massive Multiplayer Online" where almost everything is soloable lol.  Where has my genre gone?

Team FPS and RTS, hence Planetside 2.. the first was a fun game, until a new executive developer came along and changed things.

As an MMO, I played WoW in beta, didn't like the handholding it did, but liked the graphics, animation, and depth SOE was putting out better, so came here.  Over the years, everything I disliked about Warcraft has been implemented, often not as well, and player population has seemed to follow. 

Seeing the developer's roundtable forum locked down, I think they've finally stopped pretending to care about user input.  They'll just add things borrowed from the games they actually play, so they can discuss things on Blizzard's forums.  They have less downtime anyway.

It's not a one game issue or one developer.  It's the entire genre across almost every developer and game.

Biased as it may be but I sort of blame Blizzard for starting the "solo" movement but I feel being as popular as they were and starting to go that route most developers followed suite.  Issue is the people complaining for it are the same people who either don't play or play for a few months and move on or just don't be social at all.

I play MMOs to interact with others otherwise I could be playing Skyrim or Dragon Age or whatever.  I don't mind SOME solo content but the game should primarily be about grouping and interacting and not being about just grouping at endgame and everything else solo.  That is why you have the socially inept/poor skilled players at end game because they leveled there solo and have no idea how to group interact or communicate.

Developers in general need to get back on track with the genre and make an MMO...an MMO, where it is about player interaction and grouping and just overall enjoyment of accomplishing goals as a team.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
Untruth

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

Kasar wrote:

salty21db wrote:

It's not a one game issue or one developer.  It's the entire genre across almost every developer and game.

Biased as it may be but I sort of blame Blizzard for starting the "solo" movement but I feel being as popular as they were and starting to go that route most developers followed suite.  Issue is the people complaining for it are the same people who either don't play or play for a few months and move on or just don't be social at all.

I play MMOs to interact with others otherwise I could be playing Skyrim or Dragon Age or whatever.  I don't mind SOME solo content but the game should primarily be about grouping and interacting and not being about just grouping at endgame and everything else solo.  That is why you have the socially inept/poor skilled players at end game because they leveled there solo and have no idea how to group interact or communicate.

Developers in general need to get back on track with the genre and make an MMO...an MMO, where it is about player interaction and grouping and just overall enjoyment of accomplishing goals as a team.

Been tried before in Vanguard. The game died. Its been tried in other MMOs to a lesser degree. SWTOR and Rift despite coming after the dungeon finder in WoW, released intentionally without them to see if people would manually put together groups and socialize.

They wouldn't. Soloing isn't the cause of it though, its the idea that soloing is much less hassle and much faster than grouping. An easy way to do it would be instead of dividing exp gain, to actually increase exp gain per player in the group without dividing it, so that there would be great incentive to group, rather than gimping solo play.

Untruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
gourdon

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

Kasar wrote:

salty21db wrote:

There are more ways to have a social game than to have play that requires grouping in a rather specific configuration to advance.  The problem isn't that MMOs haven't enforced the EQ1 system with an iron fist.  The problem is that MMOs haven't developed many ways to connect the play of players together beyond the very specific group/raid models.  The EQ1 model just isn't sustainably enjoyable for the majority of players.  Whoever innovates to make a shared game that is a better version of a living, breathing world will put an end to the mediocre games we're currently playing.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
salty21db

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

salty21db wrote:

Kasar wrote:

salty21db wrote:

There are more ways to have a social game than to have play that requires grouping in a rather specific configuration to advance.  The problem isn't that MMOs haven't enforced the EQ1 system with an iron fist.  The problem is that MMOs haven't developed many ways to connect the play of players together beyond the very specific group/raid models.  The EQ1 model just isn't sustainably enjoyable for the majority of players.  Whoever innovates to make a shared game that is a better version of a living, breathing world will put an end to the mediocre games we're currently playing.

I disagree greatly with that.

People will always take the easiest route.  If soloing is made the easiest route it will be the route taken by most and leaving it hard to actually group for the content.  Grouping should be enforced to get past certain points or the majority of the content.  Want to solo...go play a solo game.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Untruth wrote:

Been tried before in Vanguard. The game died. Its been tried in other MMOs to a lesser degree. SWTOR and Rift despite coming after the dungeon finder in WoW, released intentionally without them to see if people would manually put together groups and socialize.

They wouldn't. Soloing isn't the cause of it though, its the idea that soloing is much less hassle and much faster than grouping. An easy way to do it would be instead of dividing exp gain, to actually increase exp gain per player in the group without dividing it, so that there would be great incentive to group, rather than gimping solo play.

Vanguard flopping had nothing to do with solo vs group gameplay.It had everything to do with the game not being anywhere close to ready, when it was released. The numerous shortcomings during the pre-release development process, devastated what could have been an amazing game.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
zehly

Loremaster

A third of the endgame heroic is soloable with a mercenary (muoable, I guess). And it can be frustrating when you're going out in a group only to have a named ganked from your group by some over-geared plat farmer. Then see the exquisite he stole sell in loot channel. No, it's not necessarily about "he mad". I just rather kill that kind of thing with a group, though I understand the alure of farming and selling. In my opinion, as well, HEIRLOOM, as it is today, has ruined a lot of fun. I don't like the idea of "selling" loot. I think it should only be lootable by those who were present when the mob was killed. Why should some crafter who, while valuable to the community for their services in crafting, makes their money in tips and TS apprentice reactants, but isn't worth their salt in a group, be allowed to "buy" raid gear, then join groups that are expecting a raid-quality player but get a quested-gear solo-only half-brain Conjy? [Run on sentence FTW] I know it's a little O/T, but seriously, if people weren't off farming a la Farmville, maybe more people would be in groups.

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #15
gourdon

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

gourdon wrote:

salty21db wrote:

Kasar wrote:

salty21db wrote:

People will always take the easiest route.  If soloing is made the easiest route it will be the route taken by most and leaving it hard to actually group for the content.  Grouping should be enforced to get past certain points or the majority of the content.  Want to solo...go play a solo game.

There are plenty of social games that don't require explicit co-op play to progress.  Further, the easiest path to any goal  in EQ2 that hasn't already been accomplished before is not working alone.  Of course, the hardest way to accomplish a goal is by PUG, but the PUG pool is populated by a lot of incompetence and poor organization due to lack of familiarity.  Shockingly, most would prefer to avoid PUGs for doing content.  I guarantee that requiring people to play in a group of a specific size and configuration is a recipe for the marginalization of the game that requires it.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
Untruth

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

gourdon wrote:

salty21db wrote:

Kasar wrote:

salty21db wrote:

You assume making it mandatory to group would make people group. More likely than not it will just make people who can't play because they don't want to group quit, unless its just as hassle free to group as it is to solo, ala. dungeon finder, or the open party system that most korean games use where you can simply click and join a non-private PUG.

Thats basically what happened in SWTOR. People soloed up to 50 because grouping was too much of a hassle. They hit 50 and have nothing to do because they don't want to make groups, so they either do what doesn't require organization (Dailies, PvP) or quit. So, Bioware caved and just gave them a dungeon finder.

Untruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #17
salty21db

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

salty21db wrote:

gourdon wrote:

salty21db wrote:

Kasar wrote:

salty21db wrote:

There are plenty of social games that don't require explicit co-op play to progress.  Further, the easiest path to any goal  in EQ2 that hasn't already been accomplished before is not working alone.  Of course, the hardest way to accomplish a goal is by PUG, but the PUG pool is populated by a lot of incompetence and poor organization due to lack of familiarity.  Shockingly, most would prefer to avoid PUGs for doing content.  I guarantee that requiring people to play in a group of a specific size and configuration is a recipe for the marginalization of the game that requires it.

But to play a MMO is to "want" to play multiplayer lol.  I just don't understand people's thinking lol.

If you're logging on an MMO with complete intention of solo for the most part...that just seems idiotic to me.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #18
DarkelfOften

Defender

Everquest is the only MMO, where nobody tries to join group with me at low lvls, to play together and knock out quests. Everybody in my guild is higher lvl and people tend to solo untill end game.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=520433
DarkelfOften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #19
Bekkr

Tester

salty21db wrote:

But to play a MMO is to "want" to play multiplayer lol.  I just don't understand people's thinking lol.

If you're logging on an MMO with complete intention of solo for the most part...that just seems idiotic to me.

It's because you can't waggle your ep**n at people in Skyrim. The folks you're discussing want the single player game with the internet chat tacked on.

Bekkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

There is a lot of immersion in different ways in this game.  Some are really involved in the lore and storylines.  Some are really involved in the tradeskill and/or decorating portion of the game.  Some simply love the art, characters, and fantasy of the game itself.  Some love the social aspect of guilds and chat.  There is a whole lot more to this game than just logging on, building a group or raid, and smashing mobs to death, although there are those who really love that part of the game.

There are so many different aspects of this game that it appeals to a wide range of playstyles, and that's a good thing!  SMILEY

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Genenova

Apprentice

I'm entirely with Salty on this topic.  We've entered the era of no-child-left-behind gaming/participation trophy gaming.

The first company that creates a hardcore MMO again may have a small population, but that's fine.  That's how luxury markets work.  Charge me double or triple and I'll guaranteed play that MMO over the current generation of mediocrity.

Genenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
FireDragon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

many, many euro players have quit due to the upcoming transition.

This.

Me and all my friends quit with the announcement of the proseibensat sale.

FireDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
WeatherMan

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

For many, it isn't the 'easiest route'.  For many (myself included), it is the 'least frustrating route'.

I have no problems grouping with my friends or guildies whatsoever.  I will even group with people I don't know, provided they are at least courteous.  They don't even need to be a 'good player' - all I ask is that they not be rude, and at least put in some effort.  Even if we wipe, I don't mind, as long as they give it their best shot.

And there's the rub - people are as often as not inconsiderate gits, and I would rather solo content than group up with someone who will only cause my blood pressure to spike.  I have enough annoyances to deal with without having to contend with some self-impressed dweeb who ninja loots or freaks out because we didn't stop to harvest a shiny.  I need that like I need a kidney stone.

- Charles De Gaulle
WeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Sixten
Server: Crushbone

Loremaster

Genenova wrote:

I'm entirely with Salty on this topic.  We've entered the era of no-child-left-behind gaming/participation trophy gaming.

The first company that creates a hardcore MMO again may have a small population, but that's fine.  That's how luxury markets work.  Charge me double or triple and I'll guaranteed play that MMO over the current generation of mediocrity.

I too would pay top money to play a quality game again.

Sixten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
salty21db

Loremaster

A few people misunderstood my meaning a bit on my posts I think.

I'm not stating you should have to have a full group to level all the time.  I think at bare minimum you should at least have to duo or trio through most of the game with full group portions mixed in to progress past certain points.  At all times however it should be MULTIPLAYER in some aspect.  Primary point being, I shouldn't be able to solo the entire game in a MULTIPLAYER genre.  If you are here to do that, then imo you don't belong in this genre.  Crafting is a seperate topic and I feel solo there is ok to an extent but would be great if they could incorporate multiplayer crafting as well.  I'm talking leveling and progressing for terms of multiplayer primarily.

BRING BACK MMOS!!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #26
DarkelfOften

Defender

Please listen, there should always be a solo route in this game for people that prefer it, I dont like to have to depend on someone else to advance my characters.

Its fine to group sometimes, but I wont play a game where if you cant find anyone at the time your basicly screwed and and cant lvl. I dont beg people to help me with quests. I know people in this game but non of them are avalible all the time, and sometimes you like to do your own thing and lvl at your own pace. 

I will play a game where grouping is encorged but not where it is necissary. I chat with people in guild and thats enough socal interaction for me. If I need occasional help with though heroic contetent I ask, and ocasionaly I will help others. Yet thats where it ends.

Let players group if they want or solo if they want and dont try to force anything, many people will quit the game if you do. I dont need someone stuck up under my characters tail 24 7 to be happy. If someone else dose, well there is already that option. The comunities fine.

If its a reg to lvl, quest mob and I cant kill it with the help of a merc, and I'm its lvl, it should not be there. I could never lvl a toon to 90 in eq2 before mercs and quit for 6 months, with mercs I now have 3 90's and love the game more fully and never intended to stop playing.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=520433
DarkelfOften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #27
salty21db

Loremaster

DarkelfOften wrote:

Please listen, there should always be a solo route in this game for people that prefer it, I dont like to have to depend on someone else to advance my characters.

Its fine to group sometimes, but I wont play a game where if you cant find anyone at the time your basicly screwed and and cant lvl. I dont beg people to help me with quests. I know people in this game but non of them are avalible all the time, and sometimes you like to do your own thing and lvl at your own pace. 

I will play a game where grouping is encorged but not where it is necissary. I chat with people in guild and thats enough socal interaction for me. If I need occasional help with though heroic contetent I ask, and ocasionaly I will help others. Yet thats where it ends.

Let players group if they want or solo if they want and dont try to force anything, many people will quit the game if you do. I dont need someone stuck up under my characters tail 24 7 to be happy. If someone else dose, well there is already that option. The comunities fine.

If its a reg to lvl, quest mob and I cant kill it with the help of a merc, and I'm its lvl, it should not be there. I could never lvl a toon to 90 in eq2 before mercs and quit for 6 months, with mercs I now have 3 90's and love the game more fully and never intended to stop playing.

This is just my opinion of course, but you are the type of gamer that doesn't belong in an MMO.  And the type of gamer I wouldn't like in my MMO lol.  Primarily because of the underlined section.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #28
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

The genre is only going to get worse with the trend to paying money to unlock stuff or buy items. Like pretty much every facebook or ipad game. That's the future of MMORPGs. Long gone are the days of oldschool EQ and FFXI.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #29
Juggercap

Elder

salty21db wrote:

DarkelfOften wrote:

This is just my opinion of course, but you are the type of gamer that doesn't belong in an MMO.  And the type of gamer I wouldn't like in my MMO lol.  Primarily because of the underlined section.

I prefer grouping, but you are the type of gamer I think doesn't belong in an MMO. Stop trying to tell people how they should play. They're in the same game. That doesn't mean they have to play how you like. I mostly play solo because it's convenient. My preference is to raid. I hate PUGs and running into players who think they have the right to tell me how to play.

Even when playing solo, I enjoy the MMO type game because I do still have the chance to interact with people through chat. I do still have the chance at having that random guild group that needs another that I can help out with.

I wish this game was closer to what it was at launch. I don't blame the players that like it better now as much as I blame SOE for giving into the pressure of going the direction they did as part of the ongoing cash grab.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #30
salty21db

Loremaster

Juggercap wrote:

salty21db wrote:

DarkelfOften wrote:

I prefer grouping, but you are the type of gamer I think doesn't belong in an MMO. Stop trying to tell people how they should play. They're in the same game. That doesn't mean they have to play how you like. I mostly play solo because it's convenient. My preference is to raid. I hate PUGs and running into players who think they have the right to tell me how to play.

Even when playing solo, I enjoy the MMO type game because I do still have the chance to interact with people through chat. I do still have the chance at having that random guild group that needs another that I can help out with.

I wish this game was closer to what it was at launch. I don't blame the players that like it better now as much as I blame SOE for giving into the pressure of going the direction they did as part of the ongoing cash grab.

Let's all have the availability to level completely to cap solo then question why the MMO gaming community fails at endgame....logic behind that is flawless.  Massive...Multiplayer...SOLO!

I love how people say that it won't work and they'll quit...lol.  Because it sure didn't work for EQ1, it sure didn't work for early WoW, nope never works.

It's nearing time I quit online gaming all together, my breed is dead.