EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Piestro

Community Relations

Hey all, Xelgad here! I wanted to explain some of the improvements to our Character Development window that you will be seeing on Test Server soon.

The biggest change is that class foci from armor will instead be granted through the Character Development window. Carried over from tier to tier for years, these foci have become part of the standard class more than a reward for acquiring high end gear. You can choose one bonus every nine levels, starting at level nine.

(Do you really want this? Of course you do!)

To select a specific focus effect, you must first have access to the ability being modified. For example, an assassin will not be able to select Focus: Assassinate until they are level 50. They would be able to use the level 54 selection to choose Focus: Assassinate or they can save their level 45 selection until level 50 and access it immediately. In the case of foci that modify Alternate Advancement abilities, such as Focus: Noxious Enfeeblement, you will have access to the focus effect as soon as your character's adventure level is high enough to access the ability in the Alternate Advancement tree - regardless of if you have purchased it or have enough points to buy it. You can also change your selections by visiting the Advancement Counsel NPCs located in the main cities.

Additionally, almost everyone was choosing the same health and power, attribute, and mitigation traits. These traits were functioning like simple stat bonuses as you leveled, so we decided to consolidate these traits into the bonuses based on class foci. Now, every time you select a new focus effect, you will gain increases to both health and power, health and power regeneration, your primary attribute and stamina, along with noxious, elemental and arcane mitigation. An adornment refund system is in place to return the currency spent on foci adornments you may have already purchased, to make sure you don’t lose out on the currency you have already spent on them.

There are also five generic choices that can be selected instead of class abilities. All of these generic options have no level restrictions. They include Potency, Crit Bonus, Stun Resistance, Snare Resistance and In-Combat Movement Speed.

We look forward to reading about your impressions of these changes on the Test Server!

Michael “Xelgad” Ganz

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
kalaria

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

along with noxious, elemental and arcane mitigation.

So... players have been nerfed in that they can no longer choose physical mitigation as part of their character traits?Those selections have a HUGE impact on survivability of more squishy classes, and unless this was a mistype in the announcement, it will be a deadly nerf to them.

kalaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Mogrim

Loremaster

Instant feedback: Please don't leave out physical mit.

Additional feedback: Caster classes have so many useless focuses still...  Foci that reduce reuse and cast speed are completely worthless for mages. These need to be tweaked so they can be chosen as meaningfull foci. SMILEY Thanks for your attention! This idea has some potential, please leave it open to player feedback and some improvement along the way!!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Atsushi

Loremaster

Please read the above post. All raiders with even a small amount of common sense spec for physical mit. I always explained to my members that you can always buff against arcane, poison, elemental, plenty of jewelery comes with those saves too. But you only have a finite amount of gear that adds physical mit, and that amount of mit has a pretty low limit for most classes. Not to mention that once you have the best armor set in the expansion you can't really do anything to add more physical mit, where you can swap gear around if needed to raise any other resist pretty easily.

This wouldn't be much of an issue if a good majority of raid area effect spells were something other than trauma. In a perfect world you could do something to mitigate trauma spells better. But with the decrease in resist types and an overall focus on physical aoe's you're just going to frustrate the players more by taking even a small amount of their raid aoe mitigation away.

Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Jadekah
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Epic Punishment

Loremaster

I'm with Mogrim. Many classes have useless Foci. Re-evaluate each classes foci and give us useful stuff !

Jadekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
resiler

Loremaster

+1 to physical mit remaining available; the regular resists are trivial right now and physical is the only sensible choice for any class.

Agree that foci are nice bonuses and tying them to the class makes sense now that they're on basic armor in WL, but a neater method would be tying foci to the master-level of a spell.  THAT would be an impressive change to 90+ level spells... each master has some slight boost beyond "does X more than the expert".

The generic choices are an interesting alternative but the Snare, Stun, and In-Combat Speed options are going to have to be remarkable, or the Crit Bonus/Potency choices trivial, else there's no actual choice.

And, while the Character Development panel gets some love, can the rest of the tabs be adjusted to allow right-clicking to reduce points in a re-spec, rather than a complete dump and replacement of 100 points to move three points (or however many)?

resiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe

Loremaster

Request for this change: If there are to be focus's based on AA abilities the Character development page needs to be saved within the AA mirror's along with our spec's.

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
jjlo69

Loremaster

Looking over the pic of the foci you put up.. players are also losing Max health by 1.5 precent per foci for sta.. which means some players will lose 6% of there hp( example: if a player has 50000 hp there due to lose 3k hp)  that wont be made up with a puny 10 sta(10 hp per pointof sta) after 5 foci are chosen . Some players also use there main stat over a sta/max hp combo which mean players will also lose 10 of those as well. 

Uncle

jjlo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
Sigmaz01

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Looking over the pic of the foci you put up.. players are also losing Max health by 1.5 precent per foci for sta.. which means some players will lose 6% of there hp( example: if a player has 50000 hp there due to lose 3k hp)  that wont be made up with a puny 10 sta(10 hp per pointof sta) after 5 foci are chosen . Some players also use there main stat over a sta/max hp combo which mean players will also lose 10 of those as well. 

Uncle

It's every 9 levels you get to choose a focus that means 1% hp x 10 since thats how often your gonna be able to choose a focus effect which means the same exact amount of hp/power you would be getting as if you choose all 4 of the 2.5% hp in it's current form. We will actually gain more hp and power since now we also get the power and stam attached to our focus . I could be wrong though! the only thing missing it seems is the physical mitigation is not in there which im sure they can add.

Sigmaz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Novusod

Loremaster

I would also like to add my voice to saying it needs to have physical mitigation. Currently my character is getting over 1000 mit from atribute choices. That would be a rather significant nerf that would effect my game play a lot.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

Yes, please keep the physical mitigation, please!

It's too handy for raiding toons, any class.  I raid with a Coercer, have with a Warden and Dirge and Swash, and all of them have gained good footing with this mitigation.  Even my non raiding toons have a good deal with this.

Frankly, I think quite a few out there use this.  I give it out as what a new player should take up first, many others do as well.  

Please, please keep this.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
Daalilama
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

Agree with what has been said before removal of the physical mitigation atribute is a nerf...regardless if intended or not....as was said squishy classes will seriously get rocked more than they are now with the omission of this stat...unless you intend to reduce the ae damage from trauma hits which I highly doubt.

Daalilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
Luhai

Loremaster

Add me to the list of people that want physical mitigation to stay. There was a reason why almost everyone is choosing it, especially the squishies.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
saneng23

Loremaster

+1 on the physical mit.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Sands
Guild: Vermin

Loremaster

So, what becomes of completing the Fallen Swords signature quest series.  The only real perk for doing this quest, through the Kael Drakkel portion, is gaining access to a red adornment merchant in Thurgadin that has shoulder adornments with class foci/stat combinations you can't buy anywhere else...  (And frankly all the gear you get from doing the rest of the series is now irrelevant, so the shoulder adornment is the only reason to bother with this quest.)

Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
akin99

Lord

Agreed please dont remove Physical Mit. It is badly needed

akin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Sinaya
Server: Oasis
Guild: Rawr

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

So, what becomes of completing the Fallen Swords signature quest series.  The only real perk for doing this quest, through the Kael Drakkel portion, is gaining access to a red adornment merchant in Thurgadin that has shoulder adornments with class foci/stat combinations you can't buy anywhere else...  (And frankly all the gear you get from doing the rest of the series is now irrelevant, so the shoulder adornment is the only reason to bother with this quest.)

The charm from this quest is still pretty good, especially if you need more Critical Chance for some of the end-game content. Also, in order to pick up the final raid quest (The Fallen Swords: Endgame) from Plane of War, you need to have completed the rest of the Fallen Swords Questline.

Sinaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
GrunEQ

Tester

Will only Adventure level count? or will Crafting level count also?

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
Suzie
Server: Vox
Guild: Eulogy

Loremaster

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place but in listening to the pod cast it was said that individual item adornments were going away to be replaced by character adornments. It also mentioned that you would be reimbursed for any adornments you had purchased with that currency, tokens, shards, and I'm assuming plat. BUT what about the ADORNER that has amassed an inventory of items to make adornments at nothing short of MASSIVE expense that are now going to be useless?

Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
jjlo69

Loremaster

Sigmaz01 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Uncle

It's every 9 levels you get to choose a focus that means 1% hp x 10 since thats how often your gonna be able to choose a focus effect which means the same exact amount of hp/power you would be getting as if you choose all 4 of the 2.5% hp in it's current form. We will actually gain more hp and power since now we also get the power and stam attached to our focus . I could be wrong though! the only thing missing it seems is the physical mitigation is not in there which im sure they can add.

oh didnt see that then yeha just need the physcal mit put back in

jjlo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Talathion
Guild: Cladire Mortii

Loremaster

We should also balance out character traits, my wood elf needs extra sta/health!

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Nubek
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Clan Nan Dreolan

Loremaster

Adding my name to the list of people who want to keep Physical Mitigation as well, please put it in there!

Nubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Kunaak

Loremaster

so we're basically getting nerfed and losing 1656 mitigation, for a minor change in our focus.....

why am I suppose to be happy about this?

Kunaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
Talathion

Loremaster

As a plate tank i'm happy for the mitigation nerf, brawlers and some classes were hitting the soft cap of mitigation way too early.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
Kunaak

Loremaster

thats probably the dumbest arguement possible, cause as a plate tank you should want the survivability of your group to be UP, not down...

when your playing in your group, what a brawler can do doesnt matter, unless you have one in your group.

your healers/mages/scouts all taking alot more damage is not the way to "balance" anything out.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Talathion

Loremaster

Kunaak wrote:

thats probably the dumbest arguement possible, cause as a plate tank you should want the survivability of your group to be UP, not down...

when your playing in your group, what a brawler can do doesnt matter, unless you have one in your group.

your healers/mages/scouts all taking alot more damage is not the way to "balance" anything out.

Bleh, loss of 1400 mitigation is like 1.2%.

Loss of 1400 for a brawler is like 7%.

Worth the sacrifice I say.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
Kullervo

Loremaster

As a plate tank i'm happy for the mitigation nerf, brawlers and some classes were hitting the soft cap of mitigation way too early.

I don't think you quite understand how big of a nerf this is. I did the math on my raiding toon, a coercer, and I'll be losing OVER HALF of my physical mitigation with this. Given that I have my AA in the chanter melee spec and I have to be able to go in melee auto attack range to hit my full dps potential, I'm understandably worried about what my survivability will be after this.

Kullervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
Kunaak

Loremaster

so because of the weakness of the berserker class - everyone should be nerfed?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Hirofortis

Loremaster

kalaria wrote:

Piestro wrote:

along with noxious, elemental and arcane mitigation.

So... players have been nerfed in that they can no longer choose physical mitigation as part of their character traits?Those selections have a HUGE impact on survivability of more squishy classes, and unless this was a mistype in the announcement, it will be a deadly nerf to them.

+30 for all my raid members who not having the extra phy mit is going to hose over.

@ Talathion - Go play some other class and when you are tired of dieing due to lack of mit let us know if you still think this is a good idea. :/

Don't forget physical mit.

Hirofortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

Kullervo wrote:

I don't think you quite understand how big of a nerf this is. I did the math on my raiding toon, a coercer, and I'll be losing OVER HALF of my physical mitigation with this. Given that I have my AA in the chanter melee spec and I have to be able to go in melee auto attack range to hit my full dps potential, I'm understandably worried about what my survivability will be after this.

Dear gods...what you just described is what I have with my own raiding Coercer.  I'm in the MT group so am always within melee range.

Yes, I'm really worried on this now. >_<