EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > PVP Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
CharlieMim

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Default

So as we all know PvP is quite unbalanced... This is just the tip of the ice berg. I remember when I first joined a PvP server I enjoyed the mechanics... That was when you looted Lucanic Havoc Insignias and AA didn't exist, I also remember being a bit zenophoebic when AA was introduced and I have to admit the game has only gone downhill ( as far as PvP is concerned ) from the introduction of 'Alternate Advancment'. Many players WILL find new ways to abuse mechanics, now this is when it is up to the Devs to do something about that... But as of recently I notice many of these 'problem' players only getting a slap on the wrist... 

The problem I would like to bring to attention is how unbalanced the allignments are. This has driven players who primarily played Qeynosians make Freeport characters to go to 'WF'... Because as it is now, Qeynos has a very little chance if any at prevailing in the 'Antonican WF'.

Another problem is that Discord Tokens 'earned' in 'WF' can be traded... Players log in level 10 characters just to sit inside the 'towers' to trade to higher level characters. ( Blatant abuse imo )

The placement of the Freeport towers is in the middle of aggro that a level 12-24? will pull while trying to attack the Freeport faction towers... On a side note the towers themselves - Why does it look like with the Freeport tower TIME and effort was actually put into the design, where as Qeynos looks like you just plopt it down?... Also the 'Tower Guardians' - It would be far more interesting if the 'guards' actually faught back... It is boring as it is now. I would personally be happy if 'WF' didn't exist at all & players would earn 'Discord Tokens' when they are ANYWHERE in the world and get a PvP kill.

Another 'problem' in pvp is obviously 'mentored 90's' - Yes they have epic brackets - I know. But when say you finally come across a player who you could have a nice 1v1 with they are most ALWAYS grouped with a mentored level 90.. Who is supposedly conned to the players level but for some reason hits harder than the average level they are mentored to... Can take more dmg... My point is the 90's are not conning properly, they are still much more powerful than they should be.

I'd like to point out that years ago when the PvP servers were dieing down, many vetern accounts stopped playing. We would poke our heads in time to time to see how the game was doing. Sadly though it didn't seem to be doing well. There simply was not a population large enough for PvP battles during that time. I remember logging in when 'Fame Decay' was introducted ( Why it was introduced I am not sure - But it seemed like a punishment ) But what was even worse was when SOE deleted all of our titles!

Then, when those of us who the 'title whipe' effected most took a long break they decided it would be a good time to introduce PvP gear... If it wasnt bad enough that our titles were deleted for no reason, now when we come back all the 'newbies' have full PvP gear!? Not to mention all the PvP kills we had prior to 'WF' & 'BG' didn't count for ANYTHING. We should have at least gotten 'Discord Tokens' based on the number of kills we already had so we weren't totally screwed over. Not to mention the AA cap was lifted... New adornments... Now only TWO stats matter for your class... 

Two stats only effecting your class... This was one of the biggest upsets. Many of us very much enjoyed being able to make our classes unique through our stats. How it has been made now seems so dumbed down and it is upsetting to say the least...

Another failed feature added to the game has been 'Common Language'... I understand the intent was good... However for some strange reason after PvP has occured almost ALWAYS, the 'winning' faction will stand around your corpse litterally 'talking smack' which is not in spirit of the game... And to make matters worse is 'The Dead Cannot Speak'... Yet another feature abused by the players.

Flying mounts, gliders & leapers - I feel that when hit with a skill/ability (ranged and melee restricted) while on any of those mounts the 'leap or flight' should automatically cancel. ( I myself have 1 glider 1 leaper & 3 flying mounts ) I have to say these do ruin PvP.

Now let's talk about 'Mercs' - I see this in chat EVERY day... Players upset about the use of mercs in PvP... I feel it would be unfair to suspend the use of mercs in PvP for the fact that it was a feature offered when customers made the purchase of the xpac that allows access to them. On the other hand... I noticed the mercs stats are a bit OP... So maybe we should meet in the middle and just fix the mercs stats? I am just confused why the interceptor merc in T5 has over 11k HP as well as the troubador. I notice you can change the appearance gear of the mercs - It would be very cool if you could 'gear' your mercs. Base stats of your merc should be that of a naked character before they are geared. You should be able to adorn the gear your merc wears as well.

Something I am sick of seeing in 1-9 are players of the opposite faction logging into their 'spy character' to add insult to injury after a failed WF. It is obvious that players even on the prevailing faction are not getting gratification when PvPing because well... 4 kills for 40 players doesnt seem fun... At least not to me.. Why else would they feel the need to log over to talk 'smack' after? The way PvP works currently is obviously not as great as it could be.

I would also like to suggest making it so when you play on a PvP server you HAVE TO choose your faction for that account. I feel this might help with the harassment & balance on the PvP servers. For those who already have toons on both allignments, simply make them choose which faction they want to be a part of. If people have two or more accounts. fine. They pay for them they have that right. I do not think though that Free to Play should have access to chat channels other than /say /ooc /shout. ( If they already can't - good )

I'd also like to point out that in the past when PvP servers merged, players from the server that was no more got a TITLE from being on that server... Why did Vox players not get a title?

In the past week or two SOE staff has had a few unannounced very nice events and I thank them for being able to be a part of them. Events like these are exciting and it's fun to chat with the staff Role-Playing or not. Thanks guys.

~ If anyone has any constructive thoughts on what I have posted here, feel free to add them ~

CharlieMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

CharlieMim wrote:

I remember when I first joined a PvP server I enjoyed the mechanics... That was when you looted Lucanic Havoc Insignias and AA didn't exist, I also remember being a bit zenophoebic when AA was introduced and I have to admit the game has only gone downhill ( as far as PvP is concerned ) from the introduction of 'Alternate Advancment'.

There has always been AA since PvP servers went live lol. The servers launched with KoS which was the expansion that introduced AA.

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
CharlieMim

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Default

[email protected] wrote:

CharlieMim wrote:

I remember when I first joined a PvP server I enjoyed the mechanics... That was when you looted Lucanic Havoc Insignias and AA didn't exist, I also remember being a bit zenophoebic when AA was introduced and I have to admit the game has only gone downhill ( as far as PvP is concerned ) from the introduction of 'Alternate Advancment'.

There has always been AA since PvP servers went live lol. The servers launched with KoS which was the expansion that introduced AA.

That's strange because I remember playing on Vox no AA tree available. I know that they were both apparently released on Feb 21,2006 ( Six years ago, sue me - A lot of living has happened since then )

OH I remember now ^.^ Another xpac you had to buy to have access to a dire feature in the game. I got the xpac eventually because well... Without AA on a pvp server you're pretty much doomed. I didnt feel like soe was pulling the lint out of my pockets then either...

On another note, do you have any constructive ideas about the issues posted? 

CharlieMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
SOE-MOD-08

Community Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 323
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50009...post_id=5715326 Trolling.
SOE-MOD-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Chakos

Loremaster
Chakos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 324
Default

Fine, I'll bite. Responses in red.

CharlieMim wrote:

So as we all know PvP is quite unbalanced... This is just the tip of the ice berg. I remember when I first joined a PvP server I enjoyed the mechanics... That was when you looted Lucanic Havoc Insignias and AA didn't exist, I also remember being a bit zenophoebic when AA was introduced and I have to admit the game has only gone downhill ( as far as PvP is concerned ) from the introduction of 'Alternate Advancment'. Many players WILL find new ways to abuse mechanics, now this is when it is up to the Devs to do something about that... But as of recently I notice many of these 'problem' players only getting a slap on the wrist... 

The problem I would like to bring to attention is how unbalanced the allignments are. This has driven players who primarily played Qeynosians make Freeport characters to go to 'WF'... Because as it is now, Qeynos has a very little chance if any at prevailing in the 'Antonican WF'. Totally player base driven, there is nothing Sony can do to fix this. It goes in waves, particularly since the introduction of WFs -- the side that feels outnumbered betrays to the overpopulated / more active alignment to get their free tokens

Another problem is that Discord Tokens 'earned' in 'WF' can be traded... Players log in level 10 characters just to sit inside the 'towers' to trade to higher level characters. ( Blatant abuse imo ) WFs, as they are designed, was a terrible idea from the get go; writ givers in overland zones already served the same purpose, but required pvp in order to actually leave with any tokens

The placement of the Freeport towers is in the middle of aggro that a level 12-24? will pull while trying to attack the Freeport faction towers... On a side note the towers themselves - Why does it look like with the Freeport tower TIME and effort was actually put into the design, where as Qeynos looks like you just plopt it down?... Also the 'Tower Guardians' - It would be far more interesting if the 'guards' actually faught back... It is boring as it is now. I would personally be happy if 'WF' didn't exist at all & players would earn 'Discord Tokens' when they are ANYWHERE in the world and get a PvP kill. Having the guards fight back would make an already bad situation even worse. WFs are just terrible, period.

Another 'problem' in pvp is obviously 'mentored 90's' - Yes they have epic brackets - I know. But when say you finally come across a player who you could have a nice 1v1 with they are most ALWAYS grouped with a mentored level 90.. Who is supposedly conned to the players level but for some reason hits harder than the average level they are mentored to... Can take more dmg... My point is the 90's are not conning properly, they are still much more powerful than they should be. Allowing mentored players to participate in pvp while mentored was a mistake imo; rather than do that, they should have just made it so mentored players auto unmentored when attacked -- if a 90 is mentored to 40 (whether to quest or is just skeered of pvping lol), he is auto unmentored, but still cannot attack the level 40 toon until combat is broken, at which point the 90 still cannot initiate a new fight. This way, the 40 doesnt get decimated by a coward and the coward has to go out of his way to rementor again, if that is his / her wish. If nothing else, the lower level opposing player gets the satisfaction of being a thorn to the opposite faction.

I'd like to point out that years ago when the PvP servers were dieing down, many vetern accounts stopped playing. We would poke our heads in time to time to see how the game was doing. Sadly though it didn't seem to be doing well. There simply was not a population large enough for PvP battles during that time. I remember logging in when 'Fame Decay' was introducted ( Why it was introduced I am not sure - But it seemed like a punishment ) But what was even worse was when SOE deleted all of our titles! Titles mean nothing in the bigger pvp picture, particularly given the means for gaining / retaining titles during the time you gained yours. It is not an issue.

Then, when those of us who the 'title whipe' effected most took a long break they decided it would be a good time to introduce PvP gear... If it wasnt bad enough that our titles were deleted for no reason, now when we come back all the 'newbies' have full PvP gear!? Not to mention all the PvP kills we had prior to 'WF' & 'BG' didn't count for ANYTHING. We should have at least gotten 'Discord Tokens' based on the number of kills we already had so we weren't totally screwed over. Not to mention the AA cap was lifted... New adornments... Now only TWO stats matter for your class... ROFL @ getting tokens automatically based on kills prior to introduction of tokens. You take a long break, you play catchup -- is how it should be, just as having to earn aa / levels that were increased when *you* chose to take a break. You make your opening statement in this paragraph to sound like Sony did this in retribution upon those who took a break -- get over yourself.

Two stats only effecting your class... This was one of the biggest upsets. Many of us very much enjoyed being able to make our classes unique through our stats. How it has been made now seems so dumbed down and it is upsetting to say the least... This is game-wide, not pvp specific

Another failed feature added to the game has been 'Common Language'... I understand the intent was good... However for some strange reason after PvP has occured almost ALWAYS, the 'winning' faction will stand around your corpse litterally 'talking smack' which is not in spirit of the game... And to make matters worse is 'The Dead Cannot Speak'... Yet another feature abused by the players. Talking smack is EXACTLY within the spirit of the PVP game

Flying mounts, gliders & leapers - I feel that when hit with a skill/ability (ranged and melee restricted) while on any of those mounts the 'leap or flight' should automatically cancel. ( I myself have 1 glider 1 leaper & 3 flying mounts ) I have to say these do ruin PvP. Why restricted to range / melee? Casters should not have the ability to dismount players? I disagree with mounts auto cancelling upon being attacked, however I do feel a dismount ability should be available on pvp servers that grants the chance to dismount players -- just should not have a 100% chance of success. Like it or not, escaping pvp is as much a part of pvp as engaging in it is -- whether fleeing overwhelming odds or looking to engage on your own terms.. or even if just afraid lol.

Now let's talk about 'Mercs' - I see this in chat EVERY day... Players upset about the use of mercs in PvP... I feel it would be unfair to suspend the use of mercs in PvP for the fact that it was a feature offered when customers made the purchase of the xpac that allows access to them. On the other hand... I noticed the mercs stats are a bit OP... So maybe we should meet in the middle and just fix the mercs stats? I am just confused why the interceptor merc in T5 has over 11k HP as well as the troubador. I notice you can change the appearance gear of the mercs - It would be very cool if you could 'gear' your mercs. Base stats of your merc should be that of a naked character before they are geared. You should be able to adorn the gear your merc wears as well. Mercs should have no bearing on PvP at all imo. Just make them auto suspend when in pvp, returning once pvp combat has been broken.

Something I am sick of seeing in 1-9 are players of the opposite faction logging into their 'spy character' to add insult to injury after a failed WF. It is obvious that players even on the prevailing faction are not getting gratification when PvPing because well... 4 kills for 40 players doesnt seem fun... At least not to me.. Why else would they feel the need to log over to talk 'smack' after? The way PvP works currently is obviously not as great as it could be. Again, smack talk is part of the pvp experience; love it or leave it. The way PvP works currently is not as great as it could be, as you say -- but the smack talk, regardless of how it is talked, is not a contributing factor to this lack.

I would also like to suggest making it so when you play on a PvP server you HAVE TO choose your faction for that account. I feel this might help with the harassment & balance on the PvP servers. For those who already have toons on both allignments, simply make them choose which faction they want to be a part of. If people have two or more accounts. fine. They pay for them they have that right. I do not think though that Free to Play should have access to chat channels other than /say /ooc /shout. ( If they already can't - good ) FtP pvp is a joke anyhow, so who cares if they have access to chat? I don't mind only being able to have one faction per account on pvp, as it would help with the alignment flip-flopping mentioned above, but I just don't see it as necessary.

I'd also like to point out that in the past when PvP servers merged, players from the server that was no more got a TITLE from being on that server... Why did Vox players not get a title? Not a pvp issue, a carebear issue

In the past week or two SOE staff has had a few unannounced very nice events and I thank them for being able to be a part of them. Events like these are exciting and it's fun to chat with the staff Role-Playing or not. Thanks guys.

~ If anyone has any constructive thoughts on what I have posted here, feel free to add them ~

Chakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
CharlieMim

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Alright I will respond in pink, because I love pink.

Chakos wrote:

Fine, I'll bite. Responses in red. <--- Get over myself, though?

CharlieMim wrote:

So as we all know PvP is quite unbalanced... This is just the tip of the ice berg. I remember when I first joined a PvP server I enjoyed the mechanics... That was when you looted Lucanic Havoc Insignias and AA didn't exist, I also remember being a bit zenophoebic when AA was introduced and I have to admit the game has only gone downhill ( as far as PvP is concerned ) from the introduction of 'Alternate Advancment'. Many players WILL find new ways to abuse mechanics, now this is when it is up to the Devs to do something about that... But as of recently I notice many of these 'problem' players only getting a slap on the wrist... 

The problem I would like to bring to attention is how unbalanced the allignments are. This has driven players who primarily played Qeynosians make Freeport characters to go to 'WF'... Because as it is now, Qeynos has a very little chance if any at prevailing in the 'Antonican WF'. Totally player base driven, there is nothing Sony can do to fix this. It goes in waves, particularly since the introduction of WFs -- the side that feels outnumbered betrays to the overpopulated / more active alignment to get their free tokens

Saying there is "nothing soe can do about it" is just the problem. Also - They aren't going to betray if they are winning every WF... What I have pointed out I have witnessed and observed over the years. I keep seeing SOE try to fix things but just making them worse.

Another problem is that Discord Tokens 'earned' in 'WF' can be traded... Players log in level 10 characters just to sit inside the 'towers' to trade to higher level characters. ( Blatant abuse imo ) WFs, as they are designed, was a terrible idea from the get go; writ givers in overland zones already served the same purpose, but required pvp in order to actually leave with any tokens

I agree 100% - I'm really not enjoying WF at all.

The placement of the Freeport towers is in the middle of aggro that a level 12-24? will pull while trying to attack the Freeport faction towers... On a side note the towers themselves - Why does it look like with the Freeport tower TIME and effort was actually put into the design, where as Qeynos looks like you just plopt it down?... Also the 'Tower Guardians' - It would be far more interesting if the 'guards' actually faught back... It is boring as it is now. I would personally be happy if 'WF' didn't exist at all & players would earn 'Discord Tokens' when they are ANYWHERE in the world and get a PvP kill. Having the guards fight back would make an already bad situation even worse. WFs are just terrible, period.

Agree 100%

Another 'problem' in pvp is obviously 'mentored 90's' - Yes they have epic brackets - I know. But when say you finally come across a player who you could have a nice 1v1 with they are most ALWAYS grouped with a mentored level 90.. Who is supposedly conned to the players level but for some reason hits harder than the average level they are mentored to... Can take more dmg... My point is the 90's are not conning properly, they are still much more powerful than they should be. Allowing mentored players to participate in pvp while mentored was a mistake imo; rather than do that, they should have just made it so mentored players auto unmentored when attacked -- if a 90 is mentored to 40 (whether to quest or is just skeered of pvping lol), he is auto unmentored, but still cannot attack the level 40 toon until combat is broken, at which point the 90 still cannot initiate a new fight. This way, the 40 doesnt get decimated by a coward and the coward has to go out of his way to rementor again, if that is his / her wish. If nothing else, the lower level opposing player gets the satisfaction of being a thorn to the opposite faction.

See this is what I like to see, constructive ideas - I think this would be a good solution.

I'd like to point out that years ago when the PvP servers were dieing down, many vetern accounts stopped playing. We would poke our heads in time to time to see how the game was doing. Sadly though it didn't seem to be doing well. There simply was not a population large enough for PvP battles during that time. I remember logging in when 'Fame Decay' was introducted ( Why it was introduced I am not sure - But it seemed like a punishment ) But what was even worse was when SOE deleted all of our titles! Titles mean nothing in the bigger pvp picture, particularly given the means for gaining / retaining titles during the time you gained yours. It is not an issue.

Well to a lot of older players 'Titles' meant a lot. ( Not anymore ) Years ago it was the primary drive for PvP. Until they were all deleted for literally no reason at all.

Then, when those of us who the 'title whipe' effected most took a long break they decided it would be a good time to introduce PvP gear... If it wasnt bad enough that our titles were deleted for no reason, now when we come back all the 'newbies' have full PvP gear!? Not to mention all the PvP kills we had prior to 'WF' & 'BG' didn't count for ANYTHING. We should have at least gotten 'Discord Tokens' based on the number of kills we already had so we weren't totally screwed over. Not to mention the AA cap was lifted... New adornments... Now only TWO stats matter for your class... ROFL @ getting tokens automatically based on kills prior to introduction of tokens. You take a long break, you play catchup -- is how it should be, just as having to earn aa / levels that were increased when *you* chose to take a break. You make your opening statement in this paragraph to sound like Sony did this in retribution upon those who took a break -- get over yourself.

^^^ This. I do not understand why you became so hostile in this responce. Up to this point your ideas and input had value to me. Anyhow "ROFL" ? I do not see what is so funny about dedicated veteran players getting tokens for the years and money they had put into the game. SOE was aware in the decrease of players, at that time they chose to make BIG changes in the game, not a wise decion in my opinion. Many, vetern players are returning to the game just to quit again when they see all the new mechanics or flaws that have been introduced. Many people 'like yourself' don't even care about the title system anymore after what SOE did to the players who spent their time earning them. They literrally got NOTHING back. Wait.. What's less than nothing? Screwed?

Also, I would appreciate if you didn't tell random strangers to "get over themselves" based on text you read on the internet. You don't know people from just reading one sentence, as much as you would like to think you do. It doesn't work that way, sorry.

Two stats only effecting your class... This was one of the biggest upsets. Many of us very much enjoyed being able to make our classes unique through our stats. How it has been made now seems so dumbed down and it is upsetting to say the least... This is game-wide, not pvp specific

I am well aware of that. Thank you though for clarifying that for anyone who did not.

Another failed feature added to the game has been 'Common Language'... I understand the intent was good... However for some strange reason after PvP has occured almost ALWAYS, the 'winning' faction will stand around your corpse litterally 'talking smack' which is not in spirit of the game... And to make matters worse is 'The Dead Cannot Speak'... Yet another feature abused by the players. Talking smack is EXACTLY within the spirit of the PVP game

This is where I am going to just flat out say you are wrong. The game is meant for enjoyment, fun, good times. It is not to be used as a tool for harassment. This type of behavior is what keeps the mods so busy and 'clogs up the tubes' for customers with technical issues that should be answered sooner than they are due to these 'problem players.'

Flying mounts, gliders & leapers - I feel that when hit with a skill/ability (ranged and melee restricted) while on any of those mounts the 'leap or flight' should automatically cancel. ( I myself have 1 glider 1 leaper & 3 flying mounts ) I have to say these do ruin PvP. Why restricted to range / melee? Casters should not have the ability to dismount players? I disagree with mounts auto cancelling upon being attacked, however I do feel a dismount ability should be available on pvp servers that grants the chance to dismount players -- just should not have a 100% chance of success. Like it or not, escaping pvp is as much a part of pvp as engaging in it is -- whether fleeing overwhelming odds or looking to engage on your own terms.. or even if just afraid lol.

I like this idea. The not 100% success odds sounds very cool. --- However, I feel if a player who is on a leaper takes over a certain amount of damage the 'leap feature' should suspend. 'Roleplaying wise' imagine the player is so damaged (their character) would know that they wouldnt have the strength to hold on and leap.

Now let's talk about 'Mercs' - I see this in chat EVERY day... Players upset about the use of mercs in PvP... I feel it would be unfair to suspend the use of mercs in PvP for the fact that it was a feature offered when customers made the purchase of the xpac that allows access to them. On the other hand... I noticed the mercs stats are a bit OP... So maybe we should meet in the middle and just fix the mercs stats? I am just confused why the interceptor merc in T5 has over 11k HP as well as the troubador. I notice you can change the appearance gear of the mercs - It would be very cool if you could 'gear' your mercs. Base stats of your merc should be that of a naked character before they are geared. You should be able to adorn the gear your merc wears as well. Mercs should have no bearing on PvP at all imo. Just make them auto suspend when in pvp, returning once pvp combat has been broken.

Now I could say "deal with it, it's the game.. or call you a carebear." But as I stated in my OP this thread is for ONLY constuctive and positive posts. I can see you are one of the players who doesn't like the use of mercs in pvp. /shrug - You already read my thoughts and ideas.

Something I am sick of seeing in 1-9 are players of the opposite faction logging into their 'spy character' to add insult to injury after a failed WF. It is obvious that players even on the prevailing faction are not getting gratification when PvPing because well... 4 kills for 40 players doesnt seem fun... At least not to me.. Why else would they feel the need to log over to talk 'smack' after? The way PvP works currently is obviously not as great as it could be. Again, smack talk is part of the pvp experience; love it or leave it. The way PvP works currently is not as great as it could be, as you say -- but the smack talk, regardless of how it is talked, is not a contributing factor to this lack.

You are right, smack talk is currently part of the game. But, it is highly frowned upon and usually ends up in a /report & /petition. In the current state this only leads to upset players/customers. Also, the "love it or leave it" attitude is immature and uncalled for. You don't pay for other peoples subs, don't tell them how to use it, please.

Unfortunantly, there are a few players of opposite allignment that this would effect negativly. The more mature players who just log over to say good fight or ask for a 1v1. But... As it stands now those are the 'rare' ones. Nearly 95% of the time when I log in there is a player or several of the opposite allignment in chat cursing,name calling, and flat out being rude or disrespectful. Players seem to take PvP a bit to seriously if they feel the need to harass other players over it. There has to be a way to fix these problems. Before you say /filter 'like they all do' - This type of behavior is not acceptable /filteron or /filteroff.

I would also like to suggest making it so when you play on a PvP server you HAVE TO choose your faction for that account. I feel this might help with the harassment & balance on the PvP servers. For those who already have toons on both allignments, simply make them choose which faction they want to be a part of. If people have two or more accounts. fine. They pay for them they have that right. I do not think though that Free to Play should have access to chat channels other than /say /ooc /shout. ( If they already can't - good ) FtP pvp is a joke anyhow, so who cares if they have access to chat? I don't mind only being able to have one faction per account on pvp, as it would help with the alignment flip-flopping mentioned above, but I just don't see it as necessary.

Haha, I'm glad you wouldn't mind it.. But you don't find it necessary when there are 40+ freeporters at a WF and only 5 Qeynosians?

I'd also like to point out that in the past when PvP servers merged, players from the server that was no more got a TITLE from being on that server... Why did Vox players not get a title? Not a pvp issue, a carebear issue

I'd like to ask you to refrain from trolling as difficult it must be for you.

Thank you though for the positive and constructive input you did post.

In the past week or two SOE staff has had a few unannounced very nice events and I thank them for being able to be a part of them. Events like these are exciting and it's fun to chat with the staff Role-Playing or not. Thanks guys.

~ If anyone has any constructive thoughts on what I have posted here, feel free to add them ~

CharlieMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Chakos

Loremaster
Chakos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 324
Default

Talking smack IS a part of the pvp experience; the current issues with it are not around the smack talk in and of itself, rather the vitriol that has become so rampant. Trolling has become a passtime for many (I see you referred to me as one in last post, I don't consider myself one -- at least not an intentional one, and certainly not to the level of those who revel in it), most of whom go way beyond what should be considered "acceptable" smack talk.

As far as suspending mercs during pvp, the reasoning is this: the problem with mercs now is that they are essentially level 90 mentored toons (when not paired with a 90 toon). This is a big reason for them being OP, besides them not following pvp rules when engaged in pvp. Sony is *highly* unlikely, to the point where I would say 0% likely, to make any adjustments to how mercs operate based on the needs of the pvp population. Whether they should or not is a moot point, as they have made it clear they are not concerned with pvp issues that do not intersect with pve issues.

As far as pop imbalances, there is still no easy answer, and it does fluctuate; there had been many, many times when Q far outnumbered FP (particularly when WFs were first introduced and the token rewards were 15 per successful WF). Allowing only 1 faction per account does not guarantee a fix for this, as you will see people just create toons on the overpopulated side. You would essentially remove the ability to betray for anyone with multiple pvp toons due to single faction per account -- even beginning betrayal is a change of faction (exile). This would lock balance as it currently is, with FP dominant, pop wise, over Q. If nothing else, at least return betrayal to how it was before, where all Spells / Cas are reset to apprentice; at least there would be consequences for faction floppers, discouraging betraying for easy tokens.

The 2 statements you took issue with over me pointing out them not being pvp issues was due to the title of the thread, not the complaints themselves. If thread is titled "PvP -- Heads up Devs." then one would expect it to be about that, not cluttered with pve issues -- after all, you said you made this thread to consolidate pvp issues in an easier to read format (though the MoD apparently considers you to be a Troll (irony) according to his reason for deleting it lol).

Chakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
CharlieMim

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Chakos wrote:

Talking smack IS a part of the pvp experience; the current issues with it are not around the smack talk in and of itself, rather the vitriol that has become so rampant. Trolling has become a passtime for many (I see you referred to me as one in last post, I don't consider myself one -- at least not an intentional one, and certainly not to the level of those who revel in it), most of whom go way beyond what should be considered "acceptable" smack talk.

I have only seen maybe 3 times "acceptable smack talk" - which is usually between friends, not complete strangers.

As far as suspending mercs during pvp, the reasoning is this: the problem with mercs now is that they are essentially level 90 mentored toons (when not paired with a 90 toon). This is a big reason for them being OP, besides them not following pvp rules when engaged in pvp. Sony is *highly* unlikely, to the point where I would say 0% likely, to make any adjustments to how mercs operate based on the needs of the pvp population. Whether they should or not is a moot point, as they have made it clear they are not concerned with pvp issues that do not intersect with pve issues.

I personally feel that would be a bad decision on SOEs part to ignore all the upset customers - That's just my opinion though.

As far as pop imbalances, there is still no easy answer, and it does fluctuate; there had been many, many times when Q far outnumbered FP (particularly when WFs were first introduced and the token rewards were 15 per successful WF). Allowing only 1 faction per account does not guarantee a fix for this, as you will see people just create toons on the overpopulated side. You would essentially remove the ability to betray for anyone with multiple pvp toons due to single faction per account -- even beginning betrayal is a change of faction (exile). This would lock balance as it currently is, with FP dominant, pop wise, over Q. If nothing else, at least return betrayal to how it was before, where all Spells / Cas are reset to apprentice; at least there would be consequences for faction floppers, discouraging betraying for easy tokens.

I wasn't around when WF was first introduced into the game. Anyhow, the idea I mentioned about picking the allignment for your account I was thinking would work something like this... User logs into one of their toons, a message pops up informing them that they must pick ONE allignment for all of their characters on the PvP server. Now, these older characters would NOT have to become exile, they would instantly become good or evil ( whichever they choose ) and when they log into their other toons they will have the option to remain the class they are, or the other usual classes that are offered after betrayal.

The 2 statements you took issue with over me pointing out them not being pvp issues was due to the title of the thread, not the complaints themselves. If thread is titled "PvP -- Heads up Devs." then one would expect it to be about that, not cluttered with pve issues -- after all, you said you made this thread to consolidate pvp issues in an easier to read format (though the MoD apparently considers you to be a Troll (irony) according to his reason for deleting it lol).

Haha... First I'd like to point out that the post on the thread that was removed due to trolling was someone else, who I had reported to a mod for trolling the thread -- not me. Also, considering the comment you made about Vox not being a PvP server but a "carebear" server is most definitely a troll esque comment. 

Would you kindly quote what I said in my OP in context, what I said about PvE? I'm pretty confused about that accusation. Everything I had addressed I thought effected PvP in some way.

CharlieMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

CharlieMim wrote:

User logs into one of their toons, a message pops up informing them that they must pick ONE allignment for all of their characters on the PvP server. Now, these older characters would NOT have to become exile, they would instantly become good or evil ( whichever they choose ) and when they log into their other toons they will have the option to remain the class they are, or the other usual classes that are offered after betrayal

Forgive me if I mis-understood, but .... wasn't this answer in the context of "faction population imbalance?"

If so, could you explain how this change would positively change that issue? I'm not seeing it.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
thesiren

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 697
Default

CharlieMim wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

CharlieMim wrote:

I remember when I first joined a PvP server I enjoyed the mechanics... That was when you looted Lucanic Havoc Insignias and AA didn't exist, I also remember being a bit zenophoebic when AA was introduced and I have to admit the game has only gone downhill ( as far as PvP is concerned ) from the introduction of 'Alternate Advancment'.

There has always been AA since PvP servers went live lol. The servers launched with KoS which was the expansion that introduced AA.

That's strange because I remember playing on Vox no AA tree available. I know that they were both apparently released on Feb 21,2006 ( Six years ago, sue me - A lot of living has happened since then )

OH I remember now ^.^ Another xpac you had to buy to have access to a dire feature in the game. I got the xpac eventually because well... Without AA on a pvp server you're pretty much doomed. I didnt feel like soe was pulling the lint out of my pockets then either...

On another note, do you have any constructive ideas about the issues posted? 

AAs (or was it the AA slider? or both?) weren't originally launched when the PvP servers launched.  They were added after KoS launched as some sort of additional part of the expansion later IIRC.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
CharlieMim

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Freejazzlive wrote:

CharlieMim wrote:

User logs into one of their toons, a message pops up informing them that they must pick ONE allignment for all of their characters on the PvP server. Now, these older characters would NOT have to become exile, they would instantly become good or evil ( whichever they choose ) and when they log into their other toons they will have the option to remain the class they are, or the other usual classes that are offered after betrayal

Forgive me if I mis-understood, but .... wasn't this answer in the context of "faction population imbalance?"

If so, could you explain how this change would positively change that issue? I'm not seeing it.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain this clear enough. The problem is not just population imbalance, but the players abuse of having multiple characters on each faction by 'toon flopping' - They don't want to actually go out and PvP fairly like the game is intended to be played, but rather log in a toon ( say a Qeynosian ) to 'scout out' where and how many players there are of Qeynos allignment... Then they log over to the approriate level Freeport character to 'gank.'

I personally feel this is abusive, I am sorry if you do not, However I feel these players are to 'cheap' to actually use the 'track' feature or that they are clearly abusing the fact they don't have the track ability.

The 'solution' you quoted above was a rough example of how it could work, if you have any constructive ideas on how to better the idea feel free to brainstorm. I felt that if a player was forced to pick an allignment ( because usually these players play both sides ) The game might have a chance to even out a bit ( im not saying it's going to be 50/50 ) However since the game has gone F2P, many new players are entering the game and I feel that could really help balance it out if players were to pick a faction. Thank you for the question, and happy Valentines day.

thesiren wrote:

CharlieMim wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

CharlieMim wrote:

I remember when I first joined a PvP server I enjoyed the mechanics... That was when you looted Lucanic Havoc Insignias and AA didn't exist, I also remember being a bit zenophoebic when AA was introduced and I have to admit the game has only gone downhill ( as far as PvP is concerned ) from the introduction of 'Alternate Advancment'.

There has always been AA since PvP servers went live lol. The servers launched with KoS which was the expansion that introduced AA.

That's strange because I remember playing on Vox no AA tree available. I know that they were both apparently released on Feb 21,2006 ( Six years ago, sue me - A lot of living has happened since then )

OH I remember now ^.^ Another xpac you had to buy to have access to a dire feature in the game. I got the xpac eventually because well... Without AA on a pvp server you're pretty much doomed. I didnt feel like soe was pulling the lint out of my pockets then either...

On another note, do you have any constructive ideas about the issues posted? 

AAs (or was it the AA slider? or both?) weren't originally launched when the PvP servers launched.  They were added after KoS launched as some sort of additional part of the expansion later IIRC.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Alternate_Advancement <---

CharlieMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.