EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
DarthXaos

Elder

Is there a way to buy something that costs over the plat cap?

DarthXaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Ahlana

Loremaster

Not really.. you could save your plat via Fuel.. but at about 2p a stack.. you would have to find someone very patient to make a trade in all fuel

Old 12-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
DarthXaos

Elder

Is there a suggestion forum, because I want to make a suggestion:

Introduce "Layaway" to the broker.

How it would work is you put your plat down on the item you want to buy, then you go out and earn more plat, then you eventually buy the item...

Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Ahlana

Loremaster

/feedback in game

However since this would effectively be a work around to the Plat restriction (which is really the only barrier that keeps everyone from going f2p), I just don't see it happening. But you can always tru

Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
DarthXaos

Elder

Not really, because it would still be annoying to only be able to hold so much plat at once, also, the lack of being able to sell on the broker means non subbers are still hampered from being part of the economy, and they'd have to go out and quest up more plat to get the item they really want instead of getting it all at once.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Dekedar

Loremaster

Plat barrier only exists for those who needs it to buy masters or those that buy raid gear, as far as I can tell. The only thing I use plat for is repairs during raids, so I'm thinking about downgrading.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Amanathia

Loremaster

For the broker, not really.   For face to face trades, sure.  Amass items that are easily sold and worth a lot (ry'gorr gems) and then give a bit more than necessary to "incentivize" (sp i know~) the seller a bit.

Amanathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
TheSpin

Loremaster

People on extended would use pristine repair material as a form of currenct, but it was made heirloom when F2P launched. You can use repair materials to store your gold, but you still need to convert the materials to plat before you can give someone your money. (Pristine repair materials can be both bought and sold for 60g eacn and can stack up to 200 per stack) I like the DCUO system, where excess money goes into 'escrow' and then you can pay a one time fee to withdraw a certain amount of plat from that escrow. I think the whole market in EQ2 is a little imbalanced for that system to be ready to come here though. It seems like there's just way too much coin available for high level characters in eq2.
TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

DarthXaos wrote:

Is there a suggestion forum, because I want to make a suggestion:

Introduce "Layaway" to the broker.

How it would work is you put your plat down on the item you want to buy, then you go out and earn more plat, then you eventually buy the item...

no lol

this is a terrible idea, that would mean the seller wouldnt get his money till the buyer gets around to  earning or paying it.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
skuext

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Plat barrier only exists for those who needs it to buy masters or those that buy raid gear, as far as I can tell. The only thing I use plat for is repairs during raids, so I'm thinking about downgrading.

silvers cant use MC legen/ legendary/fabled gear so u will be naked SMILEY

skuext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
convict

Loremaster

skuext wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

silvers cant use MC legen/ legendary/fabled gear so u will be naked

They can use MC, and you can buy unlockers.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
Nynaeve

Loremaster

I have an incredible suggestion for EQ2 f2p: give away EVERYTHING for free.

The game would probably die in a few months, but apparently you wouldn't care.

Nynaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

It can be a game breaker. I noticed one of my little played toons had hit his plat cap because before it was F2P he was quite successful at selling his tradeskilled stuff.

Now I cannot take any of his proceeds out of the store as he has hit his maximum on himself and in his bank. I also cannot sell anything in his inventory which is full of tradeskilled mastercrafted and rares which I cant destroy either.

I dont mind a plat cap but its so low its crippling.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
Onorem

Loremaster

There is a reason why the plat cap is at an annoying low level. I doubt they'll respond much to suggestions for ways to work around it.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
thesiren

Loremaster

Nynaeve wrote:

ROFL.  I know, right?  Former paying customers on live just cannot seem to grasp in the slightest fashion the fact that F2P has restrictions.  Why on earth they keep thinking they deserve everything gold subbers get even though they're not paying subs anymore or supporting SOE/EQ2 is beyond me.  They should be darned happy they get anything at all for nothing.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Onorem

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

Nynaeve wrote:

ROFL.  I know, right?  Former paying customers on live just cannot seem to grasp in the slightest fashion the fact that F2P has restrictions.  Why on earth they keep thinking they deserve everything gold subbers get even though they're not paying subs anymore or supporting SOE/EQ2 is beyond me.  They should be darned happy they get anything at all for nothing.

Why do you assume that all these complaints are from former paying customers?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #17
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Onorem wrote:

thesiren wrote:

Nynaeve wrote:

There has been a major sense of entitlement from past players who bought X expansions or paid for X months/years and now want to play EQ2 at the same level they once did, for free.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #18
AerynDrake

Loremaster

Sony failed in thier f2p setup. If you want to see a f2p setup that works, check out Dungeons and Dragons Online. There is a plat cap, but it isn't so low that you can't buy things from other players. It starts at 1250pp at lvl 1 and doubles until lvl 13, where you can have as much as allowed in game. If you are a prefered account holder in DDO (silver for EQ2), the plat cap is gone. Max level is 20 in DDO, but still, the amounts of plat you can have at f2p are reasonable. Plus, I was not willing to log in on my main to see about anything due to hearing you lost you cash over the cap. He has a fair amount of cash and I didn't want it to just "poof" away. Not saying not to have a plat cap, just PLEASE adjust it to a reasonable amount.

Also,  f2p players can sell on the auction house (broker for EQ2), but only one item at a time, and what would be silver members can post up to 30.

There are NO item restrictions in DDO at all due to your pay status. That part is truly wrong. If you pay for the access to an expansion, you now have to pay more to either unlock it or go full p2p to use any legendary/fabled gear and masters?? Why should I even bother buying any new expansion unless I am p2p?

Lastly, DDO gives you choices as to which characters you wish to play if you have characters over limit. Sony pretty much chooses them for you it seemed last I checked and gave you no option to chnge I could find. So if your main isn't one of the characters auto picked for you, than I guess you are just out of luck.

F2p might have been a good idea to get people into the game to try it, but in the end it will most probably fail at that. Too many restrictions to truly be able to enjoy the game unless you p2p. The upgrade to silver really isn't worth the $5.00 as you don't get much for your money. As usual, SoE failed to truly research what people really wanted, just like the stat changes in gear, the dumbing down of the game in general, and now the f2p standards. EQ2 has gone from being a cool, original, fun game ( been playing since the game released, with a break due to outside issues) to pretty much just another WoW clone, or at least they seem to be trying to make it that. Maybe they are trying to kill EQ2 off so they can put out the rumored EQ Next???

AerynDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
thesiren

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Onorem wrote:

thesiren wrote:

Nynaeve wrote:

There has been a major sense of entitlement from past players who bought X expansions or paid for X months/years and now want to play EQ2 at the same level they once did, for free.

Exactly this.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Soldancer

Loremaster

Similar to the spell/gear unlocker-packs SOE could sell different plat-cap increasing items at the marketplace.

Soldancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
Onorem

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

Onorem wrote:

thesiren wrote:

Nynaeve wrote:

Exactly this.

I don't dispute that. That doesn't mean that 'all' these complaints are coming from former paying customers. There's a few around here that have been happy to bring it up at any opportunity lately though.

I thought there was supposed to be some amazing amount of new players that just started because all the servers were changed to FTP. Couldn't one of them ask a question like the OP did? 

A simple discussion about how to get over the plat cap somehow turned into vets are asking for everything to be given away for free.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #22
kcirrot

Loremaster

They need to sell plat unlockers.  No one gets anything for free.  SOE gets revenue from people who are not willing to sub anymore.

SOE isn't doing Freemium or F2P right.  F2P isn't actually free, of course.  It's an ala carte payment system.  But for that to work, you have to limit the number of things that are locked behind a sub.  They should sell all types of unlockers.  A means to work around every restriction.  Like real F2P games.  You know....the ones that make more money than this game did with subs.

kcirrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
thesiren

Loremaster

kcirrot wrote:

They need to sell plat unlockers. ...

They do!  They're $15 per month, and they not only lift the plat cap but give you every race and class free, plus uninhibited bank and bag space, the right to sell at the broker for free, and the ability to move your AA slider wherever you want to.

Such a deal!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #24
kcirrot

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

kcirrot wrote:

They do!  They're $15 per month, and they not only lift the plat cap but give you every race and class free, plus uninhibited bank and bag space, the right to sell at the broker for free, and the ability to move your AA slider wherever you want to.

Such a deal!

Listening to folks like this has served SOE so well in the past. 

Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
Lera

Loremaster

kcirrot wrote:

thesiren wrote:

kcirrot wrote:

Such a deal!

And listening to ideas like removing the plat cap has just added easy button after easy button to this game.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #26
Golbezz

Loremaster

AerynDrake wrote:

Maybe they are trying to kill EQ2 off so they can put out the rumored EQ Next???

I think they are trying to figure out what they can get away with in EQ2 to use a similar system for EQnext.

Golbezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
kcirrot

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

kcirrot wrote:

thesiren wrote:

kcirrot wrote:

Such a deal!

And listening to ideas like removing the plat cap has just added easy button after easy button to this game.

What the heck are you talking about?  The plat cap has nothing to do with difficulty.  

Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #28
kaedianeq2

Champion

Guild banks are not affected/restricted by the plat cap.

kaedianeq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Ha we've already had months of people under the impression EQ2x players play for free over on the now defunct EQ2x forums.

I paid more in ad hoc payments for EQ2x per month than I did when subbing...mainly gear unlockers. Nothing wrong with a plat cap unlocker. Doesn't have to be permanent - you could buy an hour, a day, a weeks unlocker for various SC. Thats the whole idea behind F2P. You pay for the features you use when you want to use them. Not have restrictions where you would be willing to pay to ease them but there is no way to do that other than sub.

I have a Gold account and three Silver.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #30
Tigress

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

Onorem wrote:

thesiren wrote:

Nynaeve wrote:

Exactly this.

that ... & if their join date is before the end of 2011, they have to be a forumer subscriber bc EQ2x only players could not register here until dec 2011.

the plat limit IS too low.  it needs to be higher.  they should make it btwn 50 gold-1 plat per level.

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote