EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #61
bks6721

Loremaster
bks6721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,593
Default

You should see the look I get from the wife when she offers to come help me level an alt.  Absolutely NOT, it'll slow the exp down too much.  I haven't invited a random player to join me in nearly 4 years because of this dumb mechanic.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #62
Cloudrat

Tester
Cloudrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,560
Default

Lyndro-EQ2 wrote:

 So while I understand where you are coming from, from our perspective the XP for grouping is a bonus and not a penalty. This is only a penalty if the people in your group don't contribute at all. While we'll probably take a look at some aspects of the experience system before the expansion launches, we probably won't be changing the breakdown of experience for grouping by much, if at all.

So, while i understand where you are coming from, from my perspective your  job is to make a game I enjoy so I will keep paying your salarySMILEY

__________________
Cloudrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #63
Levatino

Loremaster
Levatino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,285
Default

redwoodtreesprite wrote:

The problem is not the way grouping XP is set up.  The idea is, the less time it takes to defeat mobs makes up for the lower XP per mob.

Sorry, but your problem is those guild members.  Spending a quality weekend with your son should not be a reason for people in your guild getting mad at you.

+1

__________________
Levatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #64
Levatino

Loremaster
Levatino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

I really feel like the "problem" the OP describes is a personal problem, not a game issue. 

We all make choices about our in-game activities every day. I'm a guild leader, and if someone in the guild asks, if I am free I usually go help. But they know not to expect that I will drop a group I'm in currently mid-instance and help, or if I'm crafting it may have to wait.  If I'm busy or not in the mood, we can schedule a time for grouping, whether it be in about 30 mins after I finish this zone, or tomorrow after work.

If your guildmates feel they are entitled to dictate what you will do with your time, that's because you have allowed them to do so in the past.  You need to draw healthy boundaries. Your time in-game is YOURS. "Sorry, gang, not today, I have a prior committment" should have been the end of the conversation.

My thoughts exactly. No one has the right on your time you have with your son, guildy or not.

__________________
Levatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #65
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

This thread seems to be proposing that every additional member added to a group should get the same exp as if they were soloing the MOBs. While this would address the tendency to avoid inviting others when leveling, it would have negative effects as well.

First of all, this system would result in generating around 5 times as much total experience for a group of six characters, which would make leveling in EQ2 even faster than it already is. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing, and basic game design would tend to agree with this assessment.

Secondly, it would remove some of the responsibility of each individual member to contribute to the group. If a person can join an exp group and then just AFK without costing anybody else in the group anything at all, people are going to do it. They might even start expecting it, such as how some guildies feel entitled to power-leveling in the current game culture. I am sure I am not the only person who tries to do as much as they can to contribute to a group, even when I am on a low-level alt and being mentored by a level 92 who trivializes the zone. I just don't like feeling like a leech, and that motivates me to do my best.

I think the main problem we face today isn't the way exp is assigned, it's mudflation. The root problem is that characters are too powerful and therefore no longer need to rely on a group to earn the most efficient exp. In an optimal world, you wouldn't be able to efficiently solo heroics, and therefore adding additional characters to your group would, in fact, increase your overall rate of exp, even when the total exp is being split among members. This is how things used to be, before stat inflation got out of control. Altering mentoring mechanics to better balance high-level characters at lower-levels could also help.

In other words, this thread is asking for the devs to fix a problem caused by leveling being too easy by making leveling faster. Nobody else sees a problem with this?

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #66
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

This thread seems to be proposing that every additional member added to a group should get the same exp as if they were soloing the MOBs. While this would address the tendency to avoid inviting others when leveling, it would have negative effects as well.

First of all, this system would result in generating around 5 times as much total experience for a group of six characters, which would make leveling in EQ2 even faster than it already is. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing, and basic game design would tend to agree with this assessment.

Secondly, it would remove some of the responsibility of each individual member to contribute to the group. If a person can join an exp group and then just AFK without costing anybody else in the group anything at all, people are going to do it. They might even start expecting it, such as how some guildies feel entitled to power-leveling in the current game culture. I am sure I am not the only person who tries to do as much as they can to contribute to a group, even when I am on a low-level alt and being mentored by a level 92 who trivializes the zone. I just don't like feeling like a leech, and that motivates me to do my best.

I think the main problem we face today isn't the way exp is assigned, it's mudflation. The root problem is that characters are too powerful and therefore no longer need to rely on a group to earn the most efficient exp. In an optimal world, you wouldn't be able to efficiently solo heroics, and therefore adding additional characters to your group would, in fact, increase your overall rate of exp, even when the total exp is being split among members. This is how things used to be, before stat inflation got out of control. Altering mentoring mechanics to better balance high-level characters at lower-levels could also help.

In other words, this thread is asking for the devs to fix a problem caused by leveling being too easy by making leveling faster. Nobody else sees a problem with this?

You must not understand that SOE would have full control over the static values of EXP per kill. Thus, players would only be capable of gaining levels at what ever speed SOE wants. In response to your commentary...Firstly : So what? Are you trying to claim double EXP weekends destroys the game or something? That EXP potions and vitality are the devil because they can stack to bring in EXP at 8X+ on a "double exp" weekend? A system which encourages inclusionary behaviour in the playerbase of an MMO, is significantly better than a system which encourages exclusionary behaviour in an MMO.  If the EXP per kill of a heroic mob was balanced to a static value of what a group of 3 would get, regardless of if the mob is killed solo or 6 manned, the total incoming rate for a full group would be about double, but the potential rate of incoming EXP for a PLing Duo would be reduced.Secondly : The encouragement to contribute would be no more, or no less, than it is now. Have a good, long, hard think about it. The only difference under static EXP, is that players will not be forced to meet a zone mob density check + output capacity check to be eligible for group invites. Once again I will refer to the fact that EQ2 is an MMO. I would like to be able to invite the random newbie I run past in a zone, and not shaft my group for it.People who make posts like yours, simply do not understand what is being proposed. I will still level my friends alt from level X to Y in Z hours. The question is, will SOE continue to use an anti-social EXP system, that results in me rejecting requests by strangers to join my group, because they will almost always be a detriment, not a benefit.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #67
1rocketjones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
Default

This is just a horrible idea. If they increase the amount of xp/kill then they will just jack up the amount of xp needed for a level. Just no.

1rocketjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #68
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

1rocketjones wrote:

This is just a horrible idea. If they increase the amount of xp/kill then they will just jack up the amount of xp needed for a level. Just no.

Try actually reading what has been posted.Thanks.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #69
1rocketjones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
Default

[email protected] wrote:

1rocketjones wrote:

This is just a horrible idea. If they increase the amount of xp/kill then they will just jack up the amount of xp needed for a level. Just no.

Try actually reading what has been posted.Thanks.

I did read the OP and basing my arguement off of OP's own argument of if X is increased then the dev's will increase Y. Critical chance it was. Yeah, if the dev's would allow critical chance white adornments equipable in every slot it would cause an imbalance. The dev's would increase mob's critical avoidance. See what I did there?

You are welcome.

1rocketjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #70
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

1rocketjones wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

1rocketjones wrote:

This is just a horrible idea. If they increase the amount of xp/kill then they will just jack up the amount of xp needed for a level. Just no.

Try actually reading what has been posted.Thanks.

I did read the OP and basing my arguement off of OP's own argument of if X is increased then the dev's will increase Y. Critical chance it was. Yeah, if the dev's would allow critical chance white adornments equipable in every slot it would cause an imbalance. The dev's would increase mob's critical avoidance. See what I did there?

You are welcome.

I seen what you did. Demonstrate a lack of understanding in what is two seperate discussions, with completely different factors. Apples and oranges.I am sorry that your "idea" about white adornments did not go down well.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #71
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

1rocketjones wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

1rocketjones wrote:

This is just a horrible idea. If they increase the amount of xp/kill then they will just jack up the amount of xp needed for a level. Just no.

Try actually reading what has been posted.Thanks.

I did read the OP and basing my arguement off of OP's own argument of if X is increased then the dev's will increase Y. Critical chance it was. Yeah, if the dev's would allow critical chance white adornments equipable in every slot it would cause an imbalance. The dev's would increase mob's critical avoidance. See what I did there?

You are welcome.

did your argument make sense to you while you made it?...It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the topic.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #72
bardarnit

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Default

facts - grinding is not fun.

facts - low level content was fun the first 15 times

facts - I will get tells as im destroying Seb with my auto follow new alt that say, hey can i join?  And i say no it kills xp.

facts - And then i do my best to run around and snatch as many mobs as possible from them so i can level faster pssing them off and making their exp miserable.

Each person should get their own independant xp for a kill.  If it didn't negatively effect me?  i would say sure comon.

Seriously, lol .. why would i invite someone and make it suck more SMILEY

The comments of ...grouping makes xp to easy is lol..

You do realize people can get from 0 -92 in 8 hours?

Do you have any idea how much i see ?? WTB POWERLEVEL PST from the same person for days at a time.  And i see it moreso on toons that aren't fun to solo like bards and whatnot.

MY thought isn't complete but im annoyed now.  laters,

bardarnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #73
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

bardarnit wrote:

..stuff..

The comments of ...grouping makes xp to easy is lol..

..other stuff..

The only people who make those comments are devs, and since none of them actually play the game, those comments should be ignored.

By play the game, I don't mean have a max level character, good for you. I mean actually play the endgame at a high level.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #74
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] wrote:

You must not understand that SOE would have full control over the static values of EXP per kill. Thus, players would only be capable of gaining levels at what ever speed SOE wants. In response to your commentary...Firstly : So what? Are you trying to claim double EXP weekends destroys the game or something? That EXP potions and vitality are the devil because they can stack to bring in EXP at 8X+ on a "double exp" weekend? A system which encourages inclusionary behaviour in the playerbase of an MMO, is significantly better than a system which encourages exclusionary behaviour in an MMO.  If the EXP per kill of a heroic mob was balanced to a static value of what a group of 3 would get, regardless of if the mob is killed solo or 6 manned, the total incoming rate for a full group would be about double, but the potential rate of incoming EXP for a PLing Duo would be reduced.Secondly : The encouragement to contribute would be no more, or no less, than it is now. Have a good, long, hard think about it. The only difference under static EXP, is that players will not be forced to meet a zone mob density check + output capacity check to be eligible for group invites. Once again I will refer to the fact that EQ2 is an MMO. I would like to be able to invite the random newbie I run past in a zone, and not shaft my group for it.People who make posts like yours, simply do not understand what is being proposed. I will still level my friends alt from level X to Y in Z hours. The question is, will SOE continue to use an anti-social EXP system, that results in me rejecting requests by strangers to join my group, because they will almost always be a detriment, not a benefit.

So your solution is to make grouping more desirable by nerfing solo and duo exp gains, or by lowering overall exp rewards to compensate for a proposed group exp bonus? Somehow I doubt this will be a popular idea.

There is a big difference between double exp weekends or potions and just altering game mechanics to multiply total exp rewards permanently. Yes, people power level characters in the current game. Yes, some people find it quite easy to max out a character in a couple of days. However, just because a minority of people play that way doesn't mean that such behavior should be encouraged.

This is related to the age old debate around whether allowing veteran players to start new characters at high levels is good or bad for the game. Players always want to achieve their goals faster and with less effort, we are conditioned to want that as an integral part of gameplay. Achieving success in a game faster and easier displays our mastery of the game and makes us feel good. However, when we ask for the game to be changed in order to eliminate the obstacles between us and our goals, we're really just sabotaging our own enjoyment by bypassing the very challenges that provide our sense of accomplishment.

Yes, some people can level very, very quickly, thereby skipping the majority of the game's content. Many of these people, myself included, have already experienced that content many times, and don't particularly care about it. However, there are many players who have not experienced that content, and making it easier to miss it all because leveling is so outrageously fast is doing them a disservice. Just because you don't find certain content compelling doesn't mean that it is meaningless, the game should not be rebuilt to the whims of veteran powerlevelers. Especially when said players lack basic knowledge of game theory and seem dead set on sabotaging their own game experience.

I've played since launch and seen pretty much everything this game has to offer. There is very little left at low levels that interests me, so I tend to PL my alts to high levels very quickly, twink them with drops from raid MOBs I farm for plat, and get them into the newest content as quickly as I can. However, I definitely do NOT believe that the game itself should be altered to suit my playstyle. My guild has been welcoming a boatload of brand-new players to EQ2 in recent weeks, and their wide-eyed enthusiasm for the game is refreshing--reminding me what exploring the world of Norrath was like back before I already knew everything about the game. Some of the most common advice I give to new players is to set your slider to 80+% and get out into the world. Don't rush things, SOE has done a fabulous job making sure that the modern end-game has the least amount of relevant content in the history of EQ2, hurrying past 8 years of awesome to reach it seems counter-productive.

Finally, I want to make it clear that I fully support the desire to improve social interaction and incentivize grouping. I just don't agree that the correct solution is one that would make earning exp significantly faster than it already is.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #75
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

So your solution is to make grouping more desirable by nerfing solo and duo exp gains, or by lowering overall exp rewards to compensate for a proposed group exp bonus? Somehow I doubt this will be a popular idea.

I am primarily a solo player, & I endorse the idea of making grouping more desirable by making solo XP (at least) more difficult, or slower, or otherwise less appealing. In fact, if this were true, I'd probably not be so much of a solo player any more.

I'm not sure I'd want to see duos penalized -- because a duo is a "group" -- but I do think that this game has gone waaaay too far towards being "balanced" for soloists & duos, & less towards encouraging full groups. As it stands, it's far more efficient for me to solo with a mercenary than it is to look for a group -- regardless of double XP weekends, XP pots, & so on -- & I think that's simply not right for a MMO.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #76
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

bardarnit wrote:

facts - grinding is not fun.

facts - low level content was fun the first 15 times

facts - I will get tells as im destroying Seb with my auto follow new alt that say, hey can i join?  And i say no it kills xp.

facts - And then i do my best to run around and snatch as many mobs as possible from them so i can level faster pssing them off and making their exp miserable.

Each person should get their own independant xp for a kill.  If it didn't negatively effect me?  i would say sure comon.

Seriously, lol .. why would i invite someone and make it suck more

The comments of ...grouping makes xp to easy is lol..

You do realize people can get from 0 -92 in 8 hours?

Do you have any idea how much i see ?? WTB POWERLEVEL PST from the same person for days at a time.  And i see it moreso on toons that aren't fun to solo like bards and whatnot.

MY thought isn't complete but im annoyed now.  laters,

First of all, none of those are facts, the first two are your personal opinions and the last two are merely your playstyle tendancies.

I do realize people can powerlevel to 92 in 8 hours. How is that relevant to a discussion about group exp?

Increasing group exp rewards will do nothing to prevent powerleveling requests, it will just make certain people feel more entitled and possibly more insistent. People who request powerleveling aren't interested in cooperation, they want somebody to perform a service for them. In their deluded mind, you'd be a jerk for not inviting them just to stand around and leech exp. After all, what have you got to lose? That may be social, but it certainly isn't the sort of culture I'd want to encourage.

People complain all the time about how it's too easy to reach max level, so newbs get to the end-game and don't know how to play their characters. Any proposal that increases overall rate of exp earnings without requiring additional effort on the part of group members would only make the situation worse.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #77
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

Freejazzlive wrote:

I am primarily a solo player, & I endorse the idea of making grouping more desirable by making solo XP (at least) more difficult, or slower, or otherwise less appealing. In fact, if this were true, I'd probably not be so much of a solo player any more.

I'm not sure I'd want to see duos penalized -- because a duo is a "group" -- but I do think that this game has gone waaaay too far towards being "balanced" for soloists & duos, & less towards encouraging full groups. As it stands, it's far more efficient for me to solo with a mercenary than it is to look for a group -- regardless of double XP weekends, XP pots, & so on -- & I think that's simply not right for a MMO.

I actually agree with you in that I feel soloing for exp is far too efficient in modern EQ2. That is what I was trying to convey in my earlier post regarding itemization. However, a global exp nerf for soloers would be a VERY unpopular change, and the culture of the game is already hostile enough towards SOE as it is. I can't imagine the uproar that would erupt on these forums.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #78
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Finally, I want to make it clear that I fully support the desire to improve social interaction and incentivize grouping. I just don't agree that the correct solution is one that would make earning exp significantly faster than it already is.

Then try presenting an actual idea, that is better than mine.I presented a solution that would help promote EXP groups accepting random pick-ups. The solution I presented would NOT allow a single character to be PL'd from 1/0 to 90/320 any faster than they can right now.Post an idea better than mine, and I will happily support it.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #79
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

[email protected] wrote:

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Finally, I want to make it clear that I fully support the desire to improve social interaction and incentivize grouping. I just don't agree that the correct solution is one that would make earning exp significantly faster than it already is.

Then try presenting an actual idea, that is better than mine.I presented a solution that would help promote EXP groups accepting random pick-ups. The solution I presented would NOT allow a single character to be PL'd from 1/0 to 90/320 any faster than they can right now.Post an idea better than mine, and I will happily support it.

Yeah, I by no means want to suggest a system that makes PLing a character up any faster.  I would just prefer a game that didn't penalize me if I brought friends or strangers I see in the zone into my group.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #80
Loendar

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 253
Default

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong while PL'ing my toons given the stuff I'm reading in this thread.  I have a 92 Guardian that I slap another lowbie toon on and I just grind away and there is NO way I can get from 0-92 in 3-4 days, let alone 8 hours!  That is.... insane.

Taking advantage of the exp. potions helps and, of course, having vitality makes a difference BUT vitality is gone SO fast at those levels that it is a blip on the radar.  Are people saying that if you are willing to spend $20+ Station Cash every hour on a toon that you can do it in 3-4 days (hours?!?)

I simply don't see it but I do see some harsh punishments to me leveling curve the more people I add to me little leveling crew.What am I missing that is apparently common uber level speed knowledge.  I admit that I'm not really an Alt player, but sheesh.

__________________
Loendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #81
Seidhkona

Loremaster
Seidhkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,115
Default

Honestly, if you have a full group, you usually kill stuff so much faster that you end up getting MORE XP in the same amount of time than you would soloing or duoing.

I love doing groups in Blackburrow, Stormhold, Runnyeye, CT, and POA, because it's a fast rough and tumble slaughterfest and the XP rolls in.

__________________
Seidhkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #82
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Honestly, if you have a full group, you usually kill stuff so much faster that you end up getting MORE XP in the same amount of time than you would soloing or duoing.

I love doing groups in Blackburrow, Stormhold, Runnyeye, CT, and POA, because it's a fast rough and tumble slaughterfest and the XP rolls in.

Numerous people in this thread disagree, myself being one of them.In a duo, I can clear the entire Runnyeye zone, then be left waiting for respawns. The same applies for BB. Stormhold is a bad place to EXP (vastly inferior to alternate options). And if there is another group (including a duo) in POA, the respawns do not pop fast enough.Letting random people join my EXP group would not make the mobs in these zones respawn any quicker, but it will significantly reduce the EXP gained per kill for the friend I am helping level.So if you think that filling out a whole group gives the best EXP at the current time, sorry, but you're doing it the slow way.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #83
Regret

Lord
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Default

I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if somebody told you this already.  The solution to your problem is quite simple.  Have your son (or any character you are plvling) turn off events notification to the guild.  It's a per character option in the guild window.  Do that and you won't cause anybody hard feelings.

Regret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #84
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Then try presenting an actual idea, that is better than mine.I presented a solution that would help promote EXP groups accepting random pick-ups. The solution I presented would NOT allow a single character to be PL'd from 1/0 to 90/320 any faster than they can right now.Post an idea better than mine, and I will happily support it.

Well, just off the top of my head, how about a system that rewards participation? Similar to the way PQs handle loot, though significantly more advanced. Instead of splitting the exp reward between the members of a group, allow each member the opportunity to earn up to 100% of the MOB's exp value determined by their level of participation during the encounter. If everybody participates equally, everybody earns the full exp value for the MOB. If one guy does 90% of the work, everybody else only earns up to 10% of the exp. This would simultaneously reduce the effectiveness of powerleveling, while also incentivizing cooperative grouping.

Obviously, the mechanics currently in place for PQs would be insufficient, and the metrics involved would need to be carefully analyzed and balanced, but I think it is a much better solution than just quintupling exp rewards and encouraging people to join groups and then go AFK.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #85
Dethdlr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Advent of Valor
Rank: Council Leader

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 673
Default

I see a potential problem starting in this thread.  We're starting to argue amongst ourselves about the solution.  But so far, we haven't even convinced SOE that there is a problem.  They designed this mechanic years ago and at the time, it made sense.  We need to convince them that it no longer does.

Let's not get hung up on the solution when we haven't even convinced them that there is a problem.

__________________


EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #86
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Then try presenting an actual idea, that is better than mine.I presented a solution that would help promote EXP groups accepting random pick-ups. The solution I presented would NOT allow a single character to be PL'd from 1/0 to 90/320 any faster than they can right now.Post an idea better than mine, and I will happily support it.

Well, just off the top of my head, how about a system that rewards participation? Similar to the way PQs handle loot, though significantly more advanced. Instead of splitting the exp reward between the members of a group, allow each member the opportunity to earn up to 100% of the MOB's exp value determined by their level of participation during the encounter. If everybody participates equally, everybody earns the full exp value for the MOB. If one guy does 90% of the work, everybody else only earns 10% of the exp. This would simultaneously reduce the effectiveness of powerleveling, while also incentivizing cooperative grouping.

Obviously, the mechanics currently in place for PQs would be insufficient, and the metrics involved would need to be carefully analyzed and balanced, but I think it is a much better solution than just quintupling exp rewards and encouraging people to join groups and then go AFK.

While I like the theory behind your idea, I see some potential complications with that system when it comes to practical application.How do you reward crowd control?What about Mana regen?What about Healing? What if a priest is maintaining wards/reactives/HoT's but no one gets hit?What if a mage casts a nuke but it gets resisted, then the scout autoattacks and the mob dies?What happens if a mob dies while someone is casting temp buffs?What about low DPS class types vs high DPS class types? Utility stands to be penalised.You referenced PQs, where it takes only miniscule output to be eligible for the full reward available. When the participation requirements of PQs were higher, people complained, SOE had to tone the participation requirements to be eligible for the maximum reward waaaaaaay back.Your idea would be an incredibly complex headache for SOE to balance correctly, and that is if it even possible due to how fast low level mobs die, and the fact there is so many variables involved. In comparison, I would say my presented idea is incredibly simple. I believe that we need something simple and effective to fix the issue (to encourage grouping), not something that would be all but impossible to balance / code correctly.Edit: Sorry for multiple edits, but I wanted to word things better, and in a more constructive form.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #87
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

[email protected] wrote:

I see a potential problem starting in this thread.  We're starting to argue amongst ourselves about the solution.  But so far, we haven't even convinced SOE that there is a problem.  They designed this mechanic years ago and at the time, it made sense.  We need to convince them that it no longer does.

Let's not get hung up on the solution when we haven't even convinced them that there is a problem.

In some ways yes, and in others no.Through debating the viability of solutions, and making adjustments/considerations as discussions continue, I believe we gain opportunity to present SOE with the most solid ideas possible.Someone will think of things which I did not consider. I may think of things others did not consider. Many of us here want to see a solution that changes the way grouping mechanics discourages picking up random extras.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #88
Dethdlr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Advent of Valor
Rank: Council Leader

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 673
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I see a potential problem starting in this thread.  We're starting to argue amongst ourselves about the solution.  But so far, we haven't even convinced SOE that there is a problem.  They designed this mechanic years ago and at the time, it made sense.  We need to convince them that it no longer does.

Let's not get hung up on the solution when we haven't even convinced them that there is a problem.

In some ways yes, and in others no.Through debating the viability of solutions, and making adjustments/considerations as discussions continue, I believe we gain opportunity to present SOE with the most solid ideas possible.Someone will think of things which I did not consider. I may think of things others did not consider. Many of us here want to see a solution that changes the way grouping mechanics discourages picking up random extras.

Fair enough.  I just want us all to be careful not to get the thread locked because we're squabling with each other.  SMILEY

__________________


EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #89
Mathrim
Server: Befallen
Guild: Legion of Legend
Rank: Alternate Character

Loremaster
Mathrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 277
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Are people saying that if you are willing to spend $20+ Station Cash every hour on a toon that you can do it in 3-4 days (hours?!?)

You can pop $20 dollar potions if you want, but that really isn't what most people are doing. My wife and I leveled 3 toons from creation to 92/320 this weekend, the quickest was 8 hours and the other 2 took around ten. Did all of that without buying a single potion. The thing is, we each have 10 level 92 toons which gives us a static 200% bonus as well as both of our accounts are 7+ year vets which gives us 20 or so 110% xp potions along with 3 vitality resets.

When you combine all that up, at no point were we ever below 410% bonus xp and while vitality was up we were at 610%. Pro tip for you, do not pop vitality potions until 80, otherwise you are just wasting them. 1 Vitality potion will get you from 80 to 85, pop another at 85, and then pop one right after you ding 90 because your vitality takes a 60% hit when you ding 90. I like to stop and grind AA's up to 200 at level 25. I can grind out 120 to 130 in an hour and then grind up to 280 at level 80. Once you hit 92 you can grind to 320 if you want to finish it out. You just need to know what zones are best and maybe get lucky with catching a contested zone with noone in it as you level up.

As to the rest of the discussion here, I can see things from both sides and think both sides have valid points....but....

I can tell you first hand that I will not invite strangers or even offer to guildmates to tag along when I am in a grind session and serious about leveling. I've done it before and all it does is slow the entire process down and ends up doubling or tripling the time it takes to reach the levels I am trying to achieve. Sure, do multiple people get to share in the exp and benefit? Yes. Do they bring anything to the group that actually makes things go faster? Absolutely not. With the characters I have and the power of gear/AA's, I find myself standing around waiting on respawns and zone timer resets for at least 1/3 of my leveling time. What good does bringing more people help to fix that?

I do not "need" people to help me kill quicker on anything pre-DoV. I one shot everything I run into and AE instant kill just about everything too. The belief that a "group" leveling exp system like whats in place now has any viable justification in todays game where 99% of the content can be instant killed solo'd or duo'd doesn't make sense.

The only people who would benefit from the system are either completely new players who actually need a group to kill something, or people who absolutely refuse to solo/duo/molo/muo. I would be curious to see just how many people out there actually fall into this category versus the established playerbase who just mass slaughters legacy content while snoozing through zones they've done dozens of times over the years. There is a reason why every double xp weekend brings a flood of complaint posts in regards to kill stealing and people monopolizing contested zones. Every vet out there knows the fastest way to level and it isn't grouping. Just sucks that we have to trample all over each other and everyone else in the world to get to our end goal. It would be nice if we could actually bring people along with us and not increase the time committment 3, 4, or even 5 fold.

Mathrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #90
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

[email protected]_old wrote:

I do not "need" people to help me kill quicker on anything pre-DoV. I one shot everything I run into and AE instant kill just about everything too. The belief that a "group" leveling exp system like whats in place now has any viable justification in todays game where 99% of the content can be instant killed solo'd or duo'd doesn't make sense.

Quoted to reinforce extra-strength truthiness.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.