EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #31
Vulkan_NTooki

Loremaster
Vulkan_NTooki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 644
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

The only one I looted was in a raid, however we have members who looted more than one in a single day.

There is no point in contesting a zone / kill / area for these things, its a random body drop and can drop off anything that cons color.  The higher the density and speed of kills, the more likely you are to see one.

Umm.. you say body drop.. it doesnt drop in a master chest?

__________________
Vulkan_NTooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak
Rank: Colonel

Fansite Staff
Cyliena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,798
Default

Vulkan_NTooki wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

The only one I looted was in a raid, however we have members who looted more than one in a single day.

There is no point in contesting a zone / kill / area for these things, its a random body drop and can drop off anything that cons color.  The higher the density and speed of kills, the more likely you are to see one.

Umm.. you say body drop.. it doesnt drop in a master chest?

It drops in an exquisite.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

Malleria wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Draylore wrote:

The complainers are just part of the ever growing entitlement crowd infesting MMOs these days.

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement)

Really? I like the ethereal idea, & I haven't even gotten one.

Whether you got one or not is irrelevent.

It's entirely relevant to the bolded part of your post, which is what I was commenting on. I thought I'd made that clear, by editing out the rest of your post.Not only have I not gotten an ethereal, I certainly don't think I should have access to great items for doing absolutely nothing. IOW, you badly over-generalized your claim, which was my point.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #34
Malleria

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 163
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Whether you got one or not is irrelevent. It's a completely luck based reward in a game built upon working for rewards. It's fine in small doses, but realize it's another step toward the entitled super casual solo players that are destroying the genre. And yes, as the OP correctly pointed out, it generates hard feelings. Why? Because in a game supposedly based on skill and player interactions there is absolutely nothing they can do to achieve this goal besides cross their fingers.

Luck has always been a major factor in MMO rewards systems. Look at EQ1, a lot of the most valuable items in that game were only valuable because they were stupidly rare. Rare drops off of rare spawning MOBs that posed no significant challenge to anything but your patience. Some people got lucky and got a Flowing Black Silk Sash when they happened to run into the Frenzied Ghoul one evening in Lower Guk. Most people had to camp his spawn point for hours just to see him spawn and not drop the sash.

Whether you like it or not, science has shown that humans respond more favorably to random reward schedules, so MMO developers are wise to exploit that tendency.

Not the same situation at all. EQ1 has a specific camping style of gameplay. You know the FBSS drops from Frenzied, so it's just a matter of time invested. In almost all cases a reasonable time. You can actively go to a certain area and kill a certain mob with the reasonable assumption of receiving the item within X amount of time. Ethereals are not this way. With the random drop from anything, yet with an absurdly low drop rate, it is infact a reward for doing nothing out of the ordinary. You can't actively choose to go after an ethereal, because even if in your mind you're doing so, you're not doing anything anyone else isn't.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
Malleria

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 163
Default

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Draylore wrote:

The complainers are just part of the ever growing entitlement crowd infesting MMOs these days.

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement)

Really? I like the ethereal idea, & I haven't even gotten one.

Whether you got one or not is irrelevent.

It's entirely relevant to the bolded part of your post, which is what I was commenting on. I thought I'd made that clear, by editing out the rest of your post.Not only have I not gotten an ethereal, I certainly don't think I should have access to great items for doing absolutely nothing. IOW, you badly over-generalized your claim, which was my point.

Re-read the part you bolded then. Because I make no mention of people who 'received ethereals'. Only of people that 'like the idea'. Shock horror you can like an idea without personally benefitting from it 

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #36
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Vulkan_NTooki wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

The only one I looted was in a raid, however we have members who looted more than one in a single day.

There is no point in contesting a zone / kill / area for these things, its a random body drop and can drop off anything that cons color.  The higher the density and speed of kills, the more likely you are to see one.

Umm.. you say body drop.. it doesnt drop in a master chest?

Yes, of course it drops in an ex box, however the chance of that dropping is tied to a mob in the exact same way body drops are (global loot chance).

If the mob can drop random body drop XYZ, it can drop an etheral.  Certain spawn adds have no chance of dropping even body drops, and those will not have a chance at dropping etherals as well.

So if it cons color, and is capable of dropping random body loot, its capable of dropping an etheral.  It works just like the random master spell drop rate, only much more uncommon.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

Malleria wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Draylore wrote:

The complainers are just part of the ever growing entitlement crowd infesting MMOs these days.

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement)

Really? I like the ethereal idea, & I haven't even gotten one.

Whether you got one or not is irrelevent.

It's entirely relevant to the bolded part of your post, which is what I was commenting on. I thought I'd made that clear, by editing out the rest of your post.Not only have I not gotten an ethereal, I certainly don't think I should have access to great items for doing absolutely nothing. IOW, you badly over-generalized your claim, which was my point.

Re-read the part you bolded then. Because I make no mention of people who 'received ethereals'. Only of people that 'like the idea'. Shock horror you can like an idea without personally benefitting from it 

In case I hadn't made this totally, painfully, impossibly clear in my first two posts: I like the idea.

In fact, I even said that specifically, explicitly, in my initial response.

I stand by my conclusion: you over-stated your case, & that's all there is to it.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #38
Malleria

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 163
Default

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Draylore wrote:

The complainers are just part of the ever growing entitlement crowd infesting MMOs these days.

The opposite actually. The people who like the idea seem to think they should get access to great items for doing absolutely nothing (the definition of entitlement)

Really? I like the ethereal idea, & I haven't even gotten one.

Whether you got one or not is irrelevent.

It's entirely relevant to the bolded part of your post, which is what I was commenting on. I thought I'd made that clear, by editing out the rest of your post.Not only have I not gotten an ethereal, I certainly don't think I should have access to great items for doing absolutely nothing. IOW, you badly over-generalized your claim, which was my point.

Re-read the part you bolded then. Because I make no mention of people who 'received ethereals'. Only of people that 'like the idea'. Shock horror you can like an idea without personally benefitting from it 

In case I hadn't made this totally, painfully, impossibly clear in my first two posts: I like the idea.

In fact, I even said that specifically, explicitly, in my initial response.

I stand by my conclusion: you over-stated your case, & that's all there is to it.

What is this? I don't even...

Please point out where I said, or even implied, that you didn't like the idea? I'll give you a hint: I didn't. What are you even arguing? Your conclusion is fine, but your build up to it is nonsensical.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #39
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

Malleria wrote:

Please point out where I said, or even implied, that you didn't like the idea? I'll give you a hint: I didn't. What are you even arguing? Your conclusion is fine, but your build up to it is nonsensical.

OK, I give up: writing plain words in plain English slips right past you. Never mind, have a nice day.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #40
Malleria

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 163
Default

Freejazzlive wrote:

Malleria wrote:

Please point out where I said, or even implied, that you didn't like the idea? I'll give you a hint: I didn't. What are you even arguing? Your conclusion is fine, but your build up to it is nonsensical.

OK, I give up: writing plain words in plain English slips right past you. Never mind, have a nice day.

Plain words in plain English that apparently aren't able to be quoted back. 

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #41
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster
Vinyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 690
Default

I didn't get any Ethereal Drops in WoW, D3, or GW2 SMILEY

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #42
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster
Tyrus Dracofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,274
Default

vinyard, i didnt get any etherial weapon in asheron's call either, but i got it in shard of love right here in eq2's zone.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #43
Dreamclouds

Loremaster
Dreamclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Since today is the last day of the month, I hope and wish the drop rates are turned up just a bit so we can have a shot at them!

I think I remember reading that we would get notice when they stopped dropping, has anyone seen that posted? On server I am hearing they stopped already...I hope that is not true!

Thanks in advance

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #44
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord
Koleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 713
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I didn't get any Ethereal Drops in WoW, D3, or GW2

WOW certain does have and has always had raid quality open world random 'purple' drops, and they are tradable/sellable.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #45
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

[email protected]_old wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I didn't get any Ethereal Drops in WoW, D3, or GW2

WOW certain does have and has always had raid quality open world random 'purple' drops, and they are tradable/sellable.

WoW has purple drops in the open world. I wouldn't call them "raid quality," as stuff that drops in actual raids is better. From what I've seen, the ethereals are waaaaaaay better than anything dropped from an open world mob in WoW.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #46
Dreamclouds

Loremaster
Dreamclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Default

ok all the ones on the broker on AB went from 3k plat to 12 plat overnight. Does this mean they are no longer dropping?

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #47
Wurm

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,003
Default

Dreamclouds wrote:

ok all the ones on the broker on AB went from 3k plat to 12 plat overnight. Does this mean they are no longer dropping?

People getting ready for the removal thats all.

__________________
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #48
Neiloch

Loremaster
Neiloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,430
Default

I thought the ethereal thing was neat. Really nice items, rare drop rate and without being some over the top best in slot.

Much better than the way they handled the nearly best in slot mythicals. Seemed so silly that they just didn't give ALL the classes an extension of their epic quests to get new mythicals instead. Kunark epic weapon style. Even if they were toned down in comparison so they wouldn't have to make them 'enervated' again later.

__________________
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #49
Cronqar

Loremaster
Cronqar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 582
Default

There is no question in my mind that for certain chars the rng is just plain awful. How this would be even possible is beyond me? I just know that groups run through sky4 and loot 2+ exquisites, I run it twice a day about 4x a week and of course all the other stuff and haven't seen an exquisite in 2 weeks nevermind an Ethereal(or mystical shoulders). Therefore I won't even try to do anything different and just enjoy the game the way I like to play it.......and sometimes turn green in envy seeing those chars with multiple drops^/^. But well, playing this char for so long now it is nothing really surprising or new.

Cronqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #50
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster
Tyrus Dracofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,274
Default

are those "ethereals" coming back in future, or this is one-shot deal, or new "testings" for next expansion?

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #51
Reeso

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Default

indeed an epic failure...

because it didn't make me log in...

I couldn't care less if I kill the same boring mobs with a club or an ubersuperfalbemyth whatever club which is replaced anyways by supermegauberfabled club 2.0 in 1 week or so...

I have a crazy idea what about events that...you know are really fun...instead of throwing etherealuberflaggedmyth gear after me?

Reeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.