EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
EdgeOfThorns

Scholar

Forgive my lack of knowledge on it, even with original EQ i was finished way before AAs came in to play. So im not really on the up and up with them other than knowing some levels are easier to farm them on.Im playing a Swash, are there levels that i need to stop and hunt mainly AAs? I just need a crash course if someone could please.

EdgeOfThorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

Different strokes for different folks ...

If your solo-questing / solo-grinding then a place where you can do many things in short succession.

If you are 2-boxing / Buying PL'ing then some folks claim its faster to get 300 AA before 30 (due to faster kills) and others claim @90 due to larger vitality pools and gear upgrades. 

If someone was solo-grinding, I might go stright to 90 then grind the AA or stop and try and do as many quests as quickly as I could.  If someone was powerleveling or 2-boxing then they wouldn't need to ask the question SMILEY

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Grumble69

Loremaster

I generally prefer to get to 90 first because of the vitality pool that Koleg mentioned.  There are some sweet grind spots in the L50-65 range.  But you'll eat up your vitality pool in less than a half hour and lose out on that +200% bonus.  So if you hit 90 first and mentor down, that vitality pool will stick around much longer.  You are slightly penalized in xp by mentoring down.  However, the gear & abilities that you get from being 90 gives you more killing power and offsets the penalty IMHO.  The vitality bonus is key to farming.  Otherwise you're going to want to /slit.

Swash is a good grind class because of the AEs.  You should be able to do a pretty good job on your own without having to rely on another char to PL.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
feldon30

Fansite Staff

EdgeOfThorns wrote:

are there levels that i need to stop and hunt mainly AAs?

Level 12-15 or so.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
EdgeOfThorns

Scholar

Yea im just rollin my first char now, so its solo but im getting a nice feel for things. Loving this class.One last question, can you guys explain mentoring, ive seen it mentioned but not sure how it works within the game.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

EdgeOfThorns wrote:

Yea im just rollin my first char now, so its solo but im getting a nice feel for things. Loving this class.One last question, can you guys explain mentoring, ive seen it mentioned but not sure how it works within the game.

A higher level character groups with you, and by mentoring you, they artificially lower their level to yours, and you gain an xp bonus.  If they are significantly higher level than you, they will be incredibly powerful while mentored down allowing the two of you to complete dungeons normally only doable by a full group.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Regolas

Loremaster

Mentoring is when a higher level character can group with you and become your level so you get experience. If they don't mentor and there's too much of a level difference, you won't get any xp. You can mentor others by grouping with them and typing /mentor Chronoing (often also called mentoring), is basically the same only you don't have to be grouped with anyone. You speak to a chronomage in a city (eg Qeynos Harbour) and for 5gp and 100 status you can reduce your level until you /unmentor. When mentoring someone, you have a 50% xp penalty, but the person you're mentoring gets an xp bonus. When chronoing, you get an xp penalty but it is determined by how much lower you reduce your level. Each 5 levels lower is 5% i think. People often get to 90 where the gear has shot up in stats then chrono down to a lower level then go on a killing spree, as they are much more powerful than someone at that level they are chronoed to. Your gear is reduced in stats when you chrono, but you're still much more powerful and can solo heroic dungeons much quicker than if you were actually at that level with that gear.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Regolas

Loremaster

In your case, for your first character, I'd put your xp slider to 75% AA and just do all the quests you can, and not worry about AA. They will come and you can't actually spend more than about 140 until after level 70 (unless you pit them in tradeskill AA, not recommended) Aim to start a zone where things are yellow or orange and do all the quests before moving to another zone. If you're doing a zone thats blue con, put the slider to 100% AA. When you get to around level 60 there's a ton of quests in Kunark that will get you plenty of AA. But the real class defining AAs can't be bought until level 80 and you will need to have spent 160AA by then to get them. For optimum utisation of AA, whenever you reach a level milestone it's nice to have enough AA to max out what you can buy. I tried to do this on my alt but got bored of the same zones so I'll probably go the mentor approach when I get him to 90. Ideally you can spend about 130ish pre L50 on useful AAs without having to reset them later because you wasted some on things you didn't need just because there was no other options available at the time. Theres 50 in first 2 trees and 30 in shadows line i think. Then when you hit 70 you can spend another 20 in each of the first two trees and another 20 in the shadows line. Level 80 is when you can spend almost all. So if you really want to be the optimum you can when you reach milestone levels, you'll need to get about 130 AA as soon as possible, then gain another 50 or so before level 70, so you can spend them when you ding, and then get another 80 between level 70 and level 80.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
EdgeOfThorns

Scholar

Hm, interesting info.The only issue i forsee is when theres nobody around to mentor, and if you do have someone, seems like it might be hard to time it up to do that kind of grinding. I eventually plan to join a guild, so im guessing ill just have to see what that brings in terms of options.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Regolas

Loremaster

Like I said, you can mentor down to lower levels on your own using the chronomage. However, it's not until level 90 that you really become overpowered, as the gear you can get at 90 (through the solo quests in the Withered Lands zone in Velious). You will still be more powerful than what you were at that level originally even if you do it now, you'll have more AA abilities and your gear will be better, but it's not until 90 that the gear stats rise by such a great amount. At 89 you can maybe get gear with + 60 or so to stats and 5-10% Multiattack if you're well geared. At 90 the basic stuff from withered lands is + 109 or more and 20% multiattack. You literally double or more your stats. Your dps goes through the roof so you kill things much quicker even though your gear is reduced in stats when mentoring. This is why so many people race to 90 and then mentor down to kill things fast in old dungeons for the AA, usually solo.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
EdgeOfThorns

Scholar

Ahhh I see, that went over my head the first time. In the end tho, is there no way to really bork your character? I guess that was my initial concern.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Nah, you really can't do anything to completely render a character unplayable in EQ2. I tend to power level my alts to 90 as quickly as possible, usually with less than 140 AAs total. I then just wait for a double exp weekend and grind out hundreds of AAs in Chelsith or similar zone. Of course, if you don't have the luxury of waiting for a double exp weekend you can always just get AAs some other way. There is a TON of content to mentor down and explore once you're 90, and with the gear available at high levels, you can easily solo most of it. The best parts of EQ2 are before the current endgame, so don't be in too big a rush to hit 92/320. There just isn't much left to do at that point except farm the same Skyshrine instances ad infinitum.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

I'm currently at 88/220, almost all of that solo, & no grinding. I'll worry about the rest at 92, but I've got a TON of stuff still to do before I get there, so I expect a good number of AAs still to come.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Liral

Loremaster

I level lock at 15, and then after that 24, 34, 44, etc..

Liral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

Freejazzlive wrote:

I'm currently at 88/220, almost all of that solo, & no grinding. I'll worry about the rest at 92, but I've got a TON of stuff still to do before I get there, so I expect a good number of AAs still to come.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just to clarify, since this seems to be a legitimant nood question thread and not yet corrupted or derailed, you can level to 90 with as many of as few AA as oyu like, but will not be able to level past 90 into 91 & 92 until you've reached 280 AA min.

Also, it is important to understand the difference between mentoring and chrono'ing.  When you chrono you get a -5% per 5 level block penalty to your XP.  When you mentor to someone else regarless of how far you get a -50% XP penalty.  So in theory you could be 90 and mentor to 10 for a -50% bonus or you could chrono to 10 for an -80% XP penalty.

IF you happened to find a great grinding spot lets say @ lv20 you could level to 90 and get all the abilities and gear upgrades then *cough* roll a F2P account and level it to 20 *cough* then mentor to it for a -50% penalty verses chrono'ing down for a -70% penalty.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

Just to clarify, since this seems to be a legitimant nood question thread and not yet corrupted or derailed, you can level to 90 with as many of as few AA as oyu like, but will not be able to level past 90 into 91 & 92 until you've reached 280 AA min..

Indeed. My point was that I don't think it's something the OP needs to worry too much about until he gets to 90 -- not to corrupt or derail or hijack the thread.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Katz

Loremaster

Depends on which class you are leveling, how and where you are gaining your aa points, and what you want to do.

I have one stopped at 10 to gain aa's because I get the aa points at a specific place on double xp weekends and the mobs are at are above her level there.    I have one frozen at level 12 because I wanted her in MC armor.   If I was starting out on my shadowknight now, I would leave her at level 14 to kill orcs in ruins because mass slaughter of those orcs entertains me, at level 14 none of the orcs are grey to her, and I like the aa choices at that level.  

Some report they rather get the aa points at level 90.   I'd rather have so many aa points that I can't even spend them all due to level restrictions.  Why?   Because I enjoy making decisions on how to spend each and every aa point as I earn it and I like how much stronger your character is after having spent the aa points.  

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #19
Regolas

Loremaster

Personally, unless you have a high level AE tank to help, I don't think grinding AAs at low levels is the best. You die easier, you kill slower and your vitality pool is less. AAs require less xp at lower levels but my experience is that they take longer. So far I have found around 65 to be ok in Kingdom of Sky zones. I will be trying sebelis and charasis at 80 to see, but I expect it's better to get to 90 and take the 10% xp hit to chrono down to 80 than to do it at 80 with much worse gear.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
Lasai

Loremaster

Everyone plays different.  Personally, I think the content of this game shrinks drastically at end game, so I tend to lock every ten levels at MC level and stay there till I have exhausted the content, and there is a LOT pre 50.  With Mercs now I am able to duo at 42 things like DFC and quite enjoy it on my twink Guard.  I am at a level long enough to both use up low level reactant recipes and enjoy using the gear.  I also try and get all the level appropriate HQs out of the way.

The game is huge pre 50.   At 42 I have Lavastorm, Zek, EL, Rivervale, Everfrost and Steamfont named and instances to work on.  I will be there a long time, even if unable to spend the AA I am earning now.

Chronomentoring back down is not nearly as challenging or fun, to me.

I do have 90s chars, so its not as if I have to get to end of game.

Also, personally, Shadow Odyssey and Sent Fate are complete busts.  I dont want to rush there to slog through that crap, token grind fests that are useless now, and boring, linear golden paths.

Lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Weebee

Champion

A reply from a casual, non raiding, non uber player:

Having gotten 3 people to 90 first, and agonizing over getting to 280 AA to advance to 92, I do NOT recommend it.

I have a lvl 67 conjie now with over 150 aas.

I highly recommend level locking at certain points in the leveling process to go after your AAs.  I recommend being at least 20 AAs ahead of your current xp level.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

AA is easier to get at lower levels.  Don't wait until 90 to worry about AA, you'll hate life.  Don't worry if you hit the AA cap at lower levels.  The cap only means you can't spend the AA, you can still accrue it and spend it once you do finally level up.

Don't listen to anyone who says not to worry about AA.  Worry about it.  The current endgame has an AA req of 280.  Get that 280 now if you can, it's less frustrating than hitting a brick wall later.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
Finora

Tester

Like Lasai said, everyone plays differently. I personally like to set my aa slider high as I level up (usually around 85-90 depending on the zone I am in) & lock if I at some point think I've missed too much. I get  plenty of aa as I level up that way.

I ended up regretting it when I rushed things with one character & have ended up sitting at 90 with no where enough aa's to handle the content comfortably. Complete waste of space to any group I tried to be in.  I will not do that again since I prefer to play the content anyway, be useful in groups no matter what level I am and despise having to be just dragged along by anyone. Just not the way I want to play. I left a flagging raid in EQ1 because my character was not allowed to participate in the actual kill & was just expected to walk up after to hail the flagging mob. Not my style.

So in the end it is all up to you and how you personally like to play. If you don't mind grinding for hours in the same spot & needing groups to carry you (or just want to solo) then it wouldn't be so bad to get to 90 and grind out the aas.

If you don't mind gaining the actual levels slower then just setting your slider 50% or more will get you a fair number of aa as you level up

This is coming from someone who doesn't think of level cap as the prize though. I personally enjoy the trip way more than the sitting at the top looking down.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #24
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Don't listen to anyone who says not to worry about AA..

My reason for saying "don't worry about it" is very simple: because AAs, especially in the modern game, are not that hard to get. At 89th level I'm only 58 below the "end game requirement," & those last 58 AAs will come very quickly once I actually start doing groups in dungeons. The other 222 I've got were very easy to get, no stress or worry needed. I've never used potions yet, either.

I recommend not worrying about it -- that, however, does NOT mean that people should blow off getting AAs until they're 92. It means, literally, "don't worry about it," because the AAs will come. Just play & have fun.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
thephantomposter

Loremaster

here is what I did, I lock at 12, 22, 32 etc, slider to 100% AA, do ALL quests available, when  they red con slide it to 100% level and level till quest turn white con. I had 310 AA by late 70s. I moved my slider to 100% level and now I am leveling at the same rate as the quests and I am still  getting AAs. I am 85 with 317 AA.

If you like to quest and hunt named, this works awsome!!!

At level 12 you have all the starting areas to do

thephantomposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #26
Priddles
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Carpe Diem

Loremaster

it really just depends on when you wanna grind. I will, however, say that it sucks large amounts of butt to grind large amounts of AA in a row. If you get to level 90 with 100 AA(or less) and have to grind 180 AA, you're going to be pulling your hair out.

Priddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #27
DarkelfOften

Defender

AA's are painful, I have never been able to get near 280 and I have 3 90's. Its like gaining 280 real lvls. Yet lvling to 92 is a good incentive to do so.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=520433
DarkelfOften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
bks6721

Loremaster

my last 10 alts used this progression.

Create char, do quests to level 10, hire a merc, zone to Antonica, kill everything on the way to Firemyst Gully, clear that zone twice, zone to TS, kill my way over to Cove of Decay, clear/repeat until level 28/200aa.  That all takes about 6-8hrs because I'm slow. **Done on a double xp day btw.

Day 2, is a quick run through RoV, Nek Castle with slider on 0.  Hit level 45, Do access quests in OoLS and hit level 50.

Day 3 spend a couple hours in Sinking Sands doing simple quests and the carpet quest. That usually puts me at a level where I can go to KoS and start the cloud mount questline.   Once questline is done clear all KoS dungeons using a merc.  That usually gets me to level 65 or so.

Day 4 Head straight to Loping Plains and do Crypt of Valdoon.  Clear/repeat until level 75.  Then do one run through OoB in Lesser Fey.  Approaching level 77 by now, usually with 250aa.

Day 5 (done during double xp days) hit Chelsith at level 77.  Slider on 0 until I hit 80, then slider on 100 until I hit 320aa. Slider back to zero and level to 92.    (this last part, I've been able to do with 2 characters on the same day)

those characters missed a LOT of content but I've done it all before on my first dozen 92s.  Once the leveling is done I always go back and run them through the epic weapons questlines and any needed language quests.

I have all 25 classes and I think at this point only 4 of them are below level 50, 7 between 70 and 80, the rest are 92/320. 10 of them are 92 crafters.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
Hateeternal

Loremaster

Best and easiest way is to max out your level, mentor to 55 and go to Clefts of Rujark.

There is no better farm spot in this game. You can have a constant stream of kills even with other groups or PL'ers hanging around there and at max level you can basically mow through the mobs.

The other advantages of being max lvl when farming AA have been said.

SOE Schedule:

8:00: see what isn't broken yet and break it

10:00: ban players complaining about it on the board

11:00: implement stuff noone wants, that breaks other stuff

-repeat-
Hateeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #30
Mayl

Loremaster

I am new (well came back after years away, so started a new guy)

I just put  my aa slider to 70% and level via questing and hitting dungeons.

Seems to work fine for me.

Course I have zero clue where to put my aa points as a conjurer SMILEY

Mayl is offline   Reply With Quote