EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
ReigaK92

Master

Hey guys! Well first off im a huge SOE fan, been in love with basically every game they have made (mainly DCUO, I am a premium member, I would be legendary if I had a job :3). I've been looking for something more along a traditional MMO such as WoW, Rift, SWTOR, and etc (I'm not comparing any of these together I just mean traditional MMO as in you get quests and use hotkeys to cast spellsand etc), I was wondering if EQ2 was any good? My main concern is the population of the game, if it's still actively played, and how the F2P account is. The F2P account sounds REALLY limited, ecspecially compared to the limitations in DCUO; is it just me not playing the game or does it seem that way? Also if you have any other F2P traditional MMOs please tell me SMILEY Tahnks guys!!!

ReigaK92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Mortac

Loremaster

The F2P is completely useless. Don't even bother with it.

Also remember that EQ2 scares off new players because it's more complicated and less user-friendly than most others out there.

I've had a blast with the game myself, but it feels pretty old now. The graphics engine is really terrible and won't run that great no matter what computer you have. You could check out the F2P to see what you think about it, but don't even bother if your intention is to never pay a subscription fee.

Mortac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Brigh

Loremaster

Incoming SoE bashers that scare away new players thus limiting the potential of people to play with thus causing more complaints that there are no people to play with on x server...

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Mermut

Loremaster

From my experience, the limitations on F2P are what you make of them. You have full access to all content and levels up to 90 except for the last two expansions (3 overland zones and a number of instances). You can buy unlockers to expand the number of bags you can use. The gear restrictions aren't really an issue  until end game, and even then the gear unlockers are cheap.

While leveling up and exploring the world, f2p isn't that restrictive.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
BtilTheMage

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

Incoming SoE bashers that scare away new players thus limiting the potential of people to play with thus causing more complaints that there are no people to play with on x server...

Yep, much better to completely sweep away any negatives and have people waste their money by making an uninformed purchase.  That's how honest people do things.

Thanks for the awesome post!

BtilTheMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
LadyMist

Loremaster

the ftp is actually quite comparative to gold If you pop out that 1 time 10 dollar upgrade to silver.. but if your Big into crafting and selling your wares, it will be a drag for you. If you just adventure theres always sc sales unlockers when you get to 80-92. I have always been able to play this game in mc gear till atleast 75 wich is available to ftp'rto equip

Populations is Very high on freeport but the server hardware is in need of improvement. Antonia bayle is next highest with smooth server stability.

The game looks fantastic if you don't have a outdated machine but is still playable on lower performance. still looks nice

For this game you will be Very busy, there is 7 years worth of content for you to explore and fresh stuff just around the corner.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
hexalobular

Lord

LadyMist wrote:

the ftp is actually quite comparative to gold If you pop out that 1 time 10 dollar upgrade to silver..

Plus it's only 5 dollars, since the full F2P transfer!

hexalobular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
SiegaPlays

Loremaster

If you are ok with the races and classes offered as F2P then it is worth going for a test run of the game. The limitations only gets punishing at higher levels, though there will be gear you can not wear because it is higher quality, than you have access to without unlocks or a gold sub. 

Inventory space - not a problem at all!

Ask a helpful person to make you a couple of 44 slot bags/strong boxes for inventory and bank as the first thing, and inventory is not really a problem. You will need 2 backpacks for you char and 2 backpacks/strong boxes for you bank = 4 X 44 slots on F2P.

That said, the one time silver upgrade is naturally better and a really good deal, considering what you get. For a one time fee it gives you access to the chats, 2 more char slots, and doubles the bag slots on character and in bank and adding 2 bag slots to the shared bank, so you can transfer items to alts no problem. That makes 10 backpacks/strong boxes X 44 inventory slots.

As soon as you get a house, you have access to more bag slots in the house vault too.

If you have inventory problems with that, you are a disorganized packmule, because it is far more than a majority of games offers to subbed players.

Access to content

You have access to all content except the latest 2 expansions (Destiny of Velious, lvl 85-90 content pack) and Age of Discovery (all level feature pack with Dungeon Makers, access to beastlord class, crafting apprentices for gear you can not use on F2P) and you need both to enjoy the lvl 91-92 content from the Skyshrine patch.

So only when and if you reach lvl 86 adventuring is it absolutely needed (though I will not discount that some actually managed a decent game experience not doing it) to consider a gold sub and newest xpacs or using unlocks to wear the gear needed to survive.

If you are not into endgame or max level group content, you can stay f2p and chronomage down to appropriate levels to enjoy the tons of content you did not get to do levelling. Having less than high quality gear is not going to ruin the chronomaging feature for you.

Intuitive

I am not going to say the game is intuitive, because it would be a lie, you do need to look up information about your chosen class to max out your use of it, and there is not much in the form of hover tooltips to give you any idea about what the blue stats does for your class and how much you should get and what sorts of (soft) caps there is.

If you are used to MMOs, you should not have issues getting the idea about what to do to keep yourself alive though, but max/min is going to require internet research through a lot of junk information that is dated to the point of being vintage. Or try ask in the official forums, a minority may be jerks responding to what they consider dumb questions, but there are plenty friendly people around too. Just try finding an existing response first and you are less likely to get poked by a smurfhead for asking about "the obvious".

I can say that I played EQ1 years back and going back to that after 5 years was far less accessable than starting up on EQ2 after playing other MMOs.  Rezzing in the guild lobby on EQ1 and having to get back to the zone I died in had me run screaming - newer MMOs has spoiled us rotten with making some features less of a waste of time. That includes EQ2, it is easy to get about the place, as soon as you get the basic concept of the travel modes you have access to.

-------------------------------------------------------------

MMO-Charmed web - there is a lot of games out there

-------------------------------------------------------------
SiegaPlays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
thesiren

Loremaster

Mortac wrote:

The F2P is completely useless. Don't even bother with it.

Also remember that EQ2 scares off new players because it's more complicated and less user-friendly than most others out there.

I've had a blast with the game myself, but it feels pretty old now. The graphics engine is really terrible and won't run that great no matter what computer you have. You could check out the F2P to see what you think about it, but don't even bother if your intention is to never pay a subscription fee.

Wow, I have to jump in here after this commentary. 

F2P is actually less restrictive here than in many other "try before you buy" games.  About the only ones moreso are NCsoft's Aion and Lineage 2, which have no restrictions whatsoever.  Here, bronze seems worse than the rest (and it is), but only to hamper gold farmers from storing, holding and selling endless gold and items, demolishing broker (auction house) economies and overrunning the world chats with their horrid spam, all for free.  If you pay the one-shot fee of $5.00 for silver (which is really just flagging you as a real-live human player and not an illegal bot), you get twice the characters slots and personal storage slots, extra bank storage, shared bank storage besides for swapping things and money between alts, and the ability to talk on world chat.

As a silver, besides four character slots etc., you get two tanks, two healers, two casters and two rogues you can play as for free straight through until level 90.  Granted there are 17 additional classes you have to pay for (of which one, the Beastlord, only comes with the purchaseable AoD expansion pack) but most games don't have more than 8 classes anyway and most of the free ones are strong representations of fighters, casters, healers and rogues in their own right.  

As a silver, your AA slider is frozen at 50% instead of being moveable (gold subbers can choose to convert more-- or less-- of their fight XP into AAs, but you can't get by in the later game without AAs anyway so silvers being locked at 50% XP/50% AAs really isn't that bad place to be).

You'll be able to use up to Adept level (middle-quality level) spells, and mastercrafted gear.  If you want top-quality gear and spells for end-game (level 90), I think unlockers are a whopping 25 cents each so you can equip those things.  If you hang around until level 90 and are still loving the game, it's a tiny price to pay.  Otherwise, don't plan on dungeoning much because end-game content will be too tough as a silver who doesn't pay for unlockers.

Probably the thing that will put the squeeze on you the most as a silver will be the plat cap, though, and even then it will be late game for that too before you are really restricted much by it.  You can only carry X amount of plat around per level that your character is, and end-game items are tricky to buy off the broker (auction house) when you can't carry enough on your character at one time to do that.  Usually gold guildies or friends can help you get around that, and additionally you used to at least be able to store extra plat as fuel in the bank then sell it as you needed it, although I'm not sure if that's still able to be done.

But still, for free, you can't ask for much more.  In LoTRO/DDO, you can barely get to level 20/10 without being forced to buy chunks of land masses/content to continue on, etc. 

Let's face it, developers have to eat too.  You wouldn't go punch in to work every day and week and month and year without getting paid, so you really can't expect anyone else to do it, either.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
ReigaK92

Master

thanks guys for all the info I just started playing and got a lvl 8 swashbuckler. So far I'm really enjoying it, I havn't noticed the cap of F2P like I expected at first and maybe I won't till mid/end game, but a lot of you have a point on about upgrading to silver. I most likely will upgrade to silver like i did premium with DCUO. As for what I should get with when I buy SC to upgrade to Silver, what items should I get?

ReigaK92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
hexalobular

Lord

Inventory slot unlockers are nice, for disorganized packmules like me, so you can use all 6 inventory slots.

hexalobular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Veltherel

Loremaster

I don't have anything against f2p in principle, but for me personally i can't play a game in f2p mode.  I like to have my MMO "open" to me, I find it psychologically cramping when I'm aware at the back of my mind that some areas/items/etc. are blocked off until I pay more rl money.  Again, not a principled thing, just a psychological trick for me.

Having said that, if anyone's looking in, based on the title, whether the game is worth playing, I'd add a resounding "yes!" to that. I've played EQ2 on and off for a few years, and I usually come back to it when I'm bored with a new shiney MMO, and then I remember how great it is, and then I get distracted by another new shiney MMO. 

In some ways, actually, I think it's the best MMO on the market right now.  My SWTOR experience made me realize that developers don't actually make MMORPGs any more.  I mean, SWTOR had its fun parts, but at the end of the day it's just not really an MMO.  Even many of the other MMOs that have come out recently have failed in so many ways.

The main failing of most of them is that they don't feel like virtual worlds.  You don't feel very immersed in them.  There's nothing much to do other than combat.

EQ2 feels like a virtual world, a "place" you can have a second life in, and you can almost never run out of things to do, including tons of non-combat related things.

Population always seems healthy to me (Anotnia Bayle).  At any rate, you never get that feeling of being a "loser" because you're playing an under-populated MMO   (Poor old Vanguard, I'm looking at you - you coulda bin a contenda!)

So yeah, it's definitely worth playing.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
Regolas

Loremaster

Any remaining SC should be spent on unlockers. Either item unlockers, broker unlockers or class/race unlockers. The plat limit is the only real reason to subscribe, everything else can be bought for a few cents or dollars that is easily less than the subscription cost. Broker credits can stack up but to be honest you don't have to sell things on the broker. And as a new player who can't use the broker to sell (without unlockers), you won't get near the plat limit until 80+. So if you just earn the coin from mob drops the plat limit won't be an issue for 80 odd levels.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Pixiewrath
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Aristocrats

Loremaster

Definitely worth playing. It's my favourite MMO so far. But you should use monthly subscription to get the most out of it.

One big issue is that they tend to treat their customers pretty bad. Selling some out to a german company supposedly to get more people joining, and removing content like smaller village zones inside the main capitols in-game, as well as removing the voice-overs from NPCs more and more and replacing it with "better" content that is mostly more shallow. There is a decline in quality lately.

The second and biggest issue to me is that the framerate is completely horrible even on a monster rig unless you have overclocked the processor since this game takes very little advantage of your GPU or multi CPU, and mostly draws from a single CPU. Stone age technology.

Third and final, the PVP is really unbalanced. They are performing tweaks to it as we speak so we will see if anything decent comes out of that or not. Combined with the framerate issue above, PVP can become a nightmare sometimes.

But if you are into semi-roleplaying, questing, dungeoning, housing, dungeon making etc. etc. like me the game is really neat and definitely worthy of a gold subscription.

Just remember, it contains pretty old technology and could need some vast engine improvements.

Pixiewrath is offline   Reply With Quote