EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Simon Templar

Loremaster

Hello dear players

As the title says I am looking for suggestions on what class to play. Now I know what many of you would say and that is "play whatever fits your playstyle." That does not help much as for me there is no such thing as playstyle as I adapt to any style of play there is so I will be a bit more specific as to what I want the character to do.

To assist with this, I have included an example.

I am running along with a level 45ish whatever class and I come across an enemy of about the same level (or perhaps a little higher.) I decide to attack with whatever and start to fight. I get the enemy down to about 1/2 health.

Now by chance someone before me wiped the area out and I did not know this and all of a sudden four other enemies appear and jump in. What I wish to know is what classes have the best chance of winning this fight solo or at least have the best chance of escape?

The reason I asked this is one of the things that will make me want to throw my keyboard out the window is this situation which has happened to me before. So I ask you fine peeps which of the classes with fit the above question?

Thanks to all who answer.

Simon Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Gravy

Lord

In the game every class should have no problem with that situation if you're fighting mobs that are around your level. Generally speaking, content is very easy on a level to level basis.

If the content is slightly harder, then any fighter class would have no problem. Most chain classes would have no  problem. So cloth classes would have no problem as long as the are spec'd properly.

If you're fighting mobs much more difficult than you then I'd suggest a Shadowknight because they have excellent AoE abilities. A Swashbuckler would probably handle that situation well.

And a Monk or Bruiser could feign death their way out  SMILEY

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Simon Templar

Loremaster

Gravy wrote:

In the game every class should have no problem with that situation if you're fighting mobs that are around your level. Generally speaking, content is very easy on a level to level basis.

If the content is slightly harder, then any fighter class would have no problem. Most chain classes would have no  problem. So cloth classes would have no problem as long as the are spec'd properly.

If you're fighting mobs much more difficult than you then I'd suggest a Shadowknight because they have excellent AoE abilities. A Swashbuckler would probably handle that situation well.

And a Monk or Bruiser could feign death their way out 

Interesting...how about an inquisitor? Have never tried a Swashbuckler. I thought about shadowknight but the game will not allow me to play a fae shadowknight. But I might go the "evil fae" I suppose.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
ReddyKY

Loremaster

Scouts get escape which is very handy in that type of situation.

Ranger/Assassin are the highest of the DPS scout classes. Would reccomend Assassin over Ranger. Neither bring much in the ay of buffs/debuffs and are oriented toward pure DPS.

Swashbuckler/Brigand are the middle DPS scout classes. Swash is more AOE while Brigand is more single target. Both have debuffs against mobs. These sacrifice DPS for debuffs.

Dirge/Troubador are the lowest of the DPS scout classes. Troubador is more caster/offensive while Dirge is more melee/defensive. Both have buffs and debuffs, and sacrifice much in the way of DPS to get them.

ReddyKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Wurm

Loremaster

In what you described, a Paladin would have clobbered all the mobs who spawned on you and any within range of his or her AOEs without breaking a sweat.

Crusaders, dark or light, are great soloers if played well.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Gyee

Loremaster

ReddyKY wrote:

Ranger/Assassin/Beastlords are the highest of the DPS scout classes. Would reccomend Assassin over Ranger. Neither bring much in the ay of buffs/debuffs and are oriented toward pure DPS.

Swashbuckler/Brigand are the middle DPS scout classes. Swash is more AOE while Brigand is more single target. Both have debuffs against mobs. These sacrifice DPS for debuffs.

Dirge/Troubador are the lowest of the DPS scout classes. Troubador is more caster/offensive while Dirge is more melee/defensive. Both have buffs and debuffs, and sacrifice much in the way of DPS to get them.

I fixed it for you. SMILEY

Gyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
ReddyKY

Loremaster

Gyee wrote:

ReddyKY wrote:

Ranger/Assassin/Beastlords are the highest of the DPS scout classes. Would reccomend Assassin over Ranger. Neither bring much in the ay of buffs/debuffs and are oriented toward pure DPS.

I fixed it for you.

You spoke of that which shall not be named.....egads.

Thanks though...I guess I subconciously blocked them out. hehe

ReddyKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
StormQueen

Loremaster

Simon Templar wrote:

Hello dear players

As the title says I am looking for suggestions on what class to play. Now I know what many of you would say and that is "play whatever fits your playstyle." That does not help much as for me there is no such thing as playstyle as I adapt to any style of play there is so I will be a bit more specific as to what I want the character to do.

I am running along with a level 45ish whatever class and I come across an enemy of about the same level (or perhaps a little higher.) I decide to attack with whatever and start to fight. I get the enemy down to about 1/2 health.

Now by chance someone before me wiped the area out and I did not know this and all of a sudden four other enemies appear and jump in. What I wish to know is what classes have the best chance of winning this fight solo or at least have the best chance of escape?

The reason I asked this is one of the things that will make me want to throw my keyboard out the window is this situation which has happened to me before. So I ask you fine peeps which of the classes with fit the above question?

I've played many characters of many classes.  In this fight, depending on AA build, one of your BEST classes is the Inquisitor. Why?  Steadfast (no interrupts), self-cure of control effects, reactive heals, cures, decent dps.  No evac or FD unless you tinker.

The problem with many scout classes is they are one-on-one (swashy is an exception as they have aoes).  But they can evac, if that is what it comes down to.  My Dirge has survived such fights due to his AA ability to dodge damage for a short time but it can be hairy. 

The paladin (or shadowknight) has a lot of aoes, and can heal self (or lifetap).  SK can also evac if necessary.  Very surviveable. Pally even has cures.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Simon Templar

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

In what you described, a Paladin would have clobbered all the mobs who spawned on you and any within range of his or her AOEs without breaking a sweat.

My only complaint with the paladin is that the paladin's cooldowns are so slow it is like watching paint dry on a wall. I need a character that I press buttons constantly.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Yimway

Loremaster

Simon Templar wrote:

Hello dear players

Any class can simply /yell and use their out of combat speed to escape pretty much any encounter.

Now, the ability to take that encounted down?  Inquisitor > Shadowknight > Zerker > Paladin> Other healers.

Personnaly the Inq is the most OP class in game right now, so its not surprising to find it is also incredibly fun to play.  I highly recommend it.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Wurm

Loremaster

Simon Templar wrote:

Wurm wrote:

My only complaint with the paladin is that the paladin's cooldowns are so slow it is like watching paint dry on a wall. I need a character that I press buttons constantly.

No. Not even close at end game. 

Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Mychel
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Bloodsworn

Loremaster

Keep in mind, Shadowknight has Feign Death, Evac's and Life Taps.. its a pretty hearty toolbox for AOE soloing.

Mychel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Keep in mind, Shadowknight has Feign Death, Evac's and Life Taps.. its a pretty hearty toolbox for AOE soloing.

Yes, its ability to AOE lifetap as well as heal via doing damage (and copious, non-penalized death saves at higher levels)  is why I placed it in 2nd place behind Inquisitor.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Raffir

Loremaster

Simon Templar wrote:

Hello dear players

I usually only quest in areas 4 or 5 levels (red or orange) above mine.  If you are dying in mobs your level on any class, you need to take a look at your gear, spells and AA.

That said..in my opinion

Scouts will give you an "escape" spell at level 25 plus they are usually high dps that can kill the mob quickly.

Melee class healers can usually outlast your opponents by healing throu the battle...Inq, Wardens and Mystics. Though Mystics are slow starters that really shine later on with plenty of AA.

SK or Pally...self healing, AOE-ing plate fighters

Casters will probably die in that situation.  I think soloing casters just need to be ready to die quite a bit or be more aware of the situation than other classes.  Or duo with a healer or tank.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Sleap
Server: Befallen
Guild: Elysian Storm

Loremaster

I'd say play a swash or Brig. Swash is good for ae's ( lvl 55+) and Brig's can tear down a named mob down quickly. I have experience with both classes ( have both 90/90/320) and I like my Brig more. Although being a brig in high end content can be a burden because we have burst dps like an Assassin.. we just can't hold high numbers on the parse for long. Also Brigands do not have a hate transfer (which they really need /cough cough devs). Sure they gave brigs a "temporary" hate transfer which is nice if you don't have a high parsing tank or pally. I'm still experimenting with these, so I can't say for sure which way is best.

Swashies are excellent for massive pulls (3-10.. or more if a Beserker is tanking) and they have a good hate transfer so they don't have to worry so much about watching their hate meter. They also have more temporary damage proc'n buffs, so they have more potential to parse higher with their AE auto-attacks. I have been drivin the last year to play more scouts since to me they are more fun to play.

I also have a 90/320 10/10 Beserker that i'm re-learning how to tank which i've pretty much got it down already from only a week. Just needs more gear with CB, Pot with his 600 MA (using 2H wpn from contested Skyshrine). Beserkers are just as good if not better than Shadowknights after lvl 80 ( getting your mythical or ER quest done ) when you get your 100% AE auto-attack buff. They have better surviveability imo with more defensive buffs, battle frenzy, adrenaline, Unyielding Will and Vision of Madness.

I have a dozen other lvl 90's i can go on about, these are just the 3 I like to play more. I hope this gives you more insight to these 3 specific classes.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Mirrian

Loremaster

Have to agree on INQ, I can't remember the last time I died, I got a Paladin merc to help out but that is just iceing on the cake. SK's are very hard to kill also and would be my second choice, thou I don't play evil char's and therefore opted for a Paly myself, but everyone tells me I made a big mistake.

Mirrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
ratbast

Loremaster

Simon Templar wrote:

Hello dear players

any fighter class.

from your post i think you would find a crusader or brawler fits your playstyle best. tanks are the easiest to solo with, and crusaders would win the fight with tons of adds, they have best tank heals and aoe damage; and brawlers FD trivialize mobs attacking you. any time you want you just tell them to stop.

ratbast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
Hateeternal

Loremaster

Very easy answer: The Shadowknight

No other class would be able to handle the specific situation you told as easily as the SK.

Though, every class CAN handle this, even clothies - but they do need a little more skill to survive (regarding timing, movement, cc and correct use of survival spells/ potions, clickies etc.).

If you don't like to play a tank, my second suggestion would be the Necromancer.

Very good to level solo you can do almost anything with it - pets who tank for you, decent dps output and lots of healing spells as well as FD. Awesome and fun class to solo with.

SOE Schedule:

8:00: see what isn't broken yet and break it

10:00: ban players complaining about it on the board

11:00: implement stuff noone wants, that breaks other stuff

-repeat-
Hateeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
Simon Templar

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

Simon Templar wrote:

Wurm wrote:

No. Not even close at end game. 

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean "no" as in no they are not like that at the end of the game, or no you dont push a lot of buttons with the class so it is not what you are looking for?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Simon Templar

Loremaster

Mirrian wrote:

Have to agree on INQ, I can't remember the last time I died, I got a Paladin merc to help out but that is just iceing on the cake. SK's are very hard to kill also and would be my second choice, thou I don't play evil char's and therefore opted for a Paly myself, but everyone tells me I made a big mistake.

Why would paladin be a mistake? I ask becuase I really only like to play good class as well and SK's are not an option for this.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
Simon Templar

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Simon Templar wrote:

Hello dear players

Any class can simply /yell and use their out of combat speed to escape pretty much any encounter.

Now, the ability to take that encounted down?  Inquisitor > Shadowknight > Zerker > Paladin> Other healers.

Personnaly the Inq is the most OP class in game right now, so its not surprising to find it is also incredibly fun to play.  I highly recommend it.

And that is what concerns me about the Inq as there is on other thing that will annoy me to no end...

I will give you a second example of what I am not looking for.

I find the character class that I love to play and am enjoying it and get all the way up to say 85. Then it happens...

SOE in their wisdom comes in and says "well, we have been getting complaints that this class is OP and as a result we must now...NERF the class.

Now as we know that in EVERY MMORPG all the companies do the same thing. They add a pound of prevention to get an ounce of cure so as a result the class that they nerf becomes so weak that there is no point on playing it until they balance the class. Nothing annoys me more than feeling that awesome and then being brought down below earth due to the company's (insert the name of whatever company you wish) inability to get the class right in the first place.

So my question is this....which of the classes Inq, Paladin, SK, Beserker is least likely to get the dreaded NERF in the next few months and can do what I mentioned in the original post?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Hateeternal

Loremaster

I'd say the Zerker cus he's pretty well balanced atm in my opinion.

Same goes for the SK - they OP'ed and nerfed that one so many times I think they kinda got figured it out now but you can never know for sure...

If that's your concern I also wouldn't recommend an Inquis cause they are most likely to get nerfed in the foreseeable future. This class just kicks "behinds" ;P

Also keep in mind that levelling a healer (alone) is usually much more tiring than a tank or dps class because (excluding endgame) you will do less damage and without all the endgame procs you'll run pretty quick out of mana.

SOE Schedule:

-repeat-
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Simon Templar

Loremaster

Hateeternal wrote:

I'd say the Zerker cus he's pretty well balanced atm in my opinion.

Same goes for the SK - they OP'ed and nerfed that one so many times I think they kinda got figured it out now but you can never know for sure...

If that's your concern I also wouldn't recommend an Inquis cause they are most likely to get nerfed in the foreseeable future. This class just kicks "behinds" ;P

Also keep in mind that levelling a healer (alone) is usually much more tiring than a tank or dps class because (excluding endgame) you will do less damage and without all the endgame procs you'll run pretty quick out of mana.

I have been playing all of them and Inq I am really enjoying. This worries me as the number one rule in MMORPG's is "Never let your players enjoy the class they are playing. When you hear screams of boredom from your player base then the class is perfect."

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #24
Kinvore

Loremaster

Shadowknight, and get Reaver ASAP for soloing.

Kinvore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Simon Templar

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

The Shadowknight is a thought but as I said I really like to play classes that are of the good alignment (I am playing on the RP server so it kind of matters unless the RP server is really BS and they really don't care)

That being said how is the paladin at higher levels? Does s/he get faster cooldown wise?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #26
Gravy

Lord

Simon Templar wrote:

The Shadowknight is a thought but as I said I really like to play classes that are of the good alignment (I am playing on the RP server so it kind of matters unless the RP server is really BS and they really don't care)

That being said how is the paladin at higher levels? Does s/he get faster cooldown wise?

Play your Paladin. If you don't like it later you can betray to Shadowknight.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #27
Simon Templar

Loremaster

Gravy wrote:

Simon Templar wrote:

Play your Paladin. If you don't like it later you can betray to Shadowknight.

AH! Interesting! I did not know this. Thanks for the information! I guess that I will start a pally then.  I will let all of you know how it goes. One final question...I take it that all of the races do equally well at any class eventually? I was wanting to play a fae (kind of funny to think of a tiny fae tanking but that's part of its charm SMILEY)

Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
mappam

Loremaster

I also always play a "good" character BUT wanted to get a different starter city = evil.

Someone once told me to RP a spy......pretend to be evil - but you are actually a good character....this way you could try the SK and still RP good.

Just a thought from reading the above.

mappam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Gravy

Lord

Simon Templar wrote:

.I take it that all of the races do equally well at any class eventually? I was wanting to play a fae (kind of funny to think of a tiny fae tanking but that's part of its charm )

This list will help with racial tradtions:

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Racial_Trad...tions_%28EQ2%29

Personally, I've found Tracking to be a very useful tool when leading a group. Its very helpful to be able to track a specific mob when you're in a dungeon or instance. For this reason, I nearly always play a half-elf. Halflings, Woodelves, and Kerra also get Tracking.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #30
Hateeternal

Loremaster

Simon Templar wrote:

The Shadowknight is a thought but as I said I really like to play classes that are of the good alignment (I am playing on the RP server so it kind of matters unless the RP server is really BS and they really don't care

You know.....

come to the dark side, we have cookies! ;P

SOE Schedule:

-repeat-