EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Bronadui

Loremaster
Bronadui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 95
Default

Just in-case the power and force of me hitting 'strongly disagree' on the in-game poll options doesn't come across, I will take the opportunity to say here:

We must never ever have 'pay to win' items in station-cash shop!

For the love of all that is good and sane in the world, please keep the shop full of happy fluff and don't start wading into game mechanics with it. People already have mercs for those 'oh dear I died' moments, or a friend, or a vet reward, or a city token. THAT'S ENOUGH!

Bronadui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage
Rank: Leader

Loremaster
Wirewhisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 582
Default

Let me concur with, not just no, but Hell No.

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Wurm

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,003
Default

Are you serious? Did they really add a poll for this? PSS1 shows its ugly side me-thinks.

And so many US players said they wouldn't be affected by this... wrong!

__________________
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
ninui

Loremaster
ninui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29
Default

.... and so it begins.

On top the community disquiet with the Euro servers being handed over to a company synonymous with pay to win gaming we have SOE now insidiously paving the way for this to happen.

First we will have the PR friendly face of SOE, ingame polls and red name thread feedback and then one day we will log in and find a few less powerful potions and items for sale and then drip drip drip we end up with pay to win gaming.

NO, NO, NO. STOP IT NOW.

ninui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage
Rank: Leader

Loremaster
Wirewhisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 582
Default

Agree, ninui.

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
dawy

Loremaster
dawy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,373
Default

Oh dear this thread will be closed in moments i would assume after all there wouldnt ever be pay2win items in the cash shop would there?

Hehe deary me

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Neave

Loremaster
Neave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
Default

It's a sacred cow of an MMO game, to have the progress you make based on in-game acquired items.

If you don't have that as your model, you don't have an MMO anymore, you have Farmville.

Neave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Rendoir

Loremaster
Rendoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 212
Default

No real point acting surprised, as this will have been an endgoal since the implementation of the station marketplace. Can't believe people didn;t make more fuss about travel bells tracking scrolls and escape totems on there, let alone exp and vitality pots.

The community sit by and let it happen.

There is no point shutting the barn door after the horse has escaped.

Objectors to this move, and many more - read level potions, AA potions, raid gear for sale etc will have to do some soul searching about whether or not they are going to continue to sub to a pay to win game.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak
Rank: Colonel

Fansite Staff
Cyliena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,798
Default

SJ had mentioned when that stuff was yanked from Freeport's marketplace during the F2P conversion that they would bring up the possibility of reintroducing the items via polls. So I'm not surprised. All of my characters strongly disagreed anyways.

I'd rather see something like bank/shared bank/coin limit unlockers added for Bronze/Silver members. Charge more than current unlockers for them and I'm sure they'd still sell.

edit: next poll will probably be asking how we feel about common/rare harvests on the marketplace, as well as MC armor, since that's something else that was yanked off of FP's.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Ciara52

Loremaster
Ciara52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California
Posts: 504
Default

Let's see hmmm  my sage, carpenter, alchemist are out of business for the most part.

LOL now this?   

Guess staying on Splitpaw won't matter much that I can see

Ciara52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Bronadui

Loremaster
Bronadui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 95
Default

Cyliena wrote:

SJ had mentioned when that stuff was yanked from Freeport's marketplace during the F2P conversion that they would bring up the possibility of reintroducing the items via polls. So I'm not surprised. All of my characters strongly disagreed anyways.

I am not particularly fussy about the shop, and don't really mind those travel bells, escape scrolls etc.

Anything you can use to solve problems IN a raid is totally unacceptable though.

Bronadui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Deago

Loremaster
Deago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 625
Default

Give me super mercs via sc and I am ok with that (assuming it is a one-time purchase) and if the argument is "well they are better then players.." then either a. step up your game mr. subpar player or b. lock them out of the newest zones because anything really prior to dov things is fluff anyway...

As long as they really are 'super mercs' and not just 5 plat merc + 5% stat mercs.

I mean who would not want to put the smackdown on Trakanon solo? just for lols and/or a few fluff items?

__________________
Hello fellow EQ2 gamers!
Deago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

Even though I have 9 months left on my non-recurring "sub," I would have to say that adding power items will be the end of the road for me sooner rather than later.

Porbably wont make me a very happy player in the game either.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator
SOE-MOD-02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,001
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5742024 Trolling is not permitted here
__________________
|| Forum Guidelines || Knowledge Base || Tech Support ||
SOE-MOD-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
DamselInDistress

Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 510
Default

Big thumbs down from me, no such items should ever be made available in Marketplace.

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator
SOE-MOD-02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,001
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5742032 Trolling is not permitted on these forums.
__________________
|| Forum Guidelines || Knowledge Base || Tech Support ||
SOE-MOD-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
Wurm

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,003
Default

Ciara52 wrote:

Let's see hmmm  my sage, carpenter, alchemist are out of business for the most part.

LOL now this?   

Guess staying on Splitpaw won't matter much that I can see

As a Master Alchemist myself, come on you have to admit other than the cure pots our potions are worthless anyway.

What this means is that no one has to tinker anymore for the overclocked manastones or buy the sigils from the status vendor anymore.

And its another example of them putting a toe into the door to see how far they can get the whole leg in before someone notices.

__________________
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
thesiren

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 697
Default

Yeah, I think that stuff was on Freeport before live's conversion to F2P and it really wasn't a big deal; you never saw people with it.

However, I still voted against it all because I'm too afraid raids could start to be balanced around it.  If it isn't there in the shop to begin with, the slippery slope to "requirement for everyone" can't begin.

And I wish SOE was half as concerned about revamping Nagafen as they are about putting more stuff into the SC shop.  I understand they've got to eat, but a lot more people would be around to feed them on Naggy if they actually made the game worth playing there again.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
Kitsi
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster
Kitsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 111
Default

Nice way to make classes not important or personal responsibility (power management) not needed either.

Everyone one of my toons on two accounts "Strongly Disagrees" with this and wishes there was a "Oh Hell No!" to mark.

Stop it SOE.  Just stop it.

Kitsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak
Rank: Colonel

Fansite Staff
Cyliena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,798
Default

thesiren wrote:

Yeah, I think that stuff was on Freeport before live's conversion to F2P and it really wasn't a big deal; you never saw people with it.

However, I still voted against it all because I'm too afraid raids could start to be balanced around it.  If it isn't there in the shop to begin with, the slippery slope to "requirement for everyone" can't begin.

It was:

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/EQ2_Item:Power_Potion

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/EQ2_Item:Health_Potion

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/EQ2_Item:Sc...of_Resurrection

No idea how often people used them though. Guessing someone bought them or else they wouldn't be considering to bring them back.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
thesiren

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 697
Default

Cyliena wrote:

thesiren wrote:

Yeah, I think that stuff was on Freeport before live's conversion to F2P and it really wasn't a big deal; you never saw people with it.

However, I still voted against it all because I'm too afraid raids could start to be balanced around it.  If it isn't there in the shop to begin with, the slippery slope to "requirement for everyone" can't begin.

It was:

ower_Potion" target="_blank">http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/EQ2_ItemSMILEYower_Potion

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/EQ2_Item:Health_Potion

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/EQ2_Item:Sc...of_Resurrection

No idea how often people used them though. Guessing someone bought them or else they wouldn't be considering to bring them back.

Honestly, as a major Freeportian (moved there after Najena merged into Unrest and we were saddled with 4-5 second lag for a year even just harvesting a simple node) I can tell you that junk wasn't too popular.

However, I see its potential reinsertion into the marketplace as the first step toward making it mandatory.

Freeport as things stood did not require that stuff, nor does content now, and personally I'd like it to always stay that way.  I do think SOE gave away the farm with its F2P Matrix from the start, but there have got to be better ways of getting people to pay money than the slippery slope of required consumables.

*sigh*

Nagafen's open PvP could attract a much larger crowd were it revamped successfully.   I'd imagine that SOE knows what a mess it all is moreso than anybody else does.  It's just whether or not they have the staffing or the inclination to delve that deeply into real fixes that's up in the air.  But there could be a real burst of new players, and cash shop purchases, for Nagafen should the necessary revamps happen.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
Nylana

Loremaster
Nylana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Small Town, USA
Posts: 5
Default

thesiren wrote:

However, I see its potential reinsertion into the marketplace as the first step toward making it mandatory.

This is the only thing that concerns me for the long term.

I really don't care if people want to buy these things for personal/solo use, but I will simply stop grouping the day that the community at large expects me to pony up real cash or use my SC monthly allowance to buy this stuff for myself.

Nylana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
Lempo

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,179
Default

Well you might as well consider them back in there now because they are going to be.

Most players spend a lot of time exploring and soloing, or delving into dungeons with a mercenary. There are items that would be extremely useful for these activities that used to be available on the Freeport server. We would like to hear your opinions about those items and there is no predetermined plan for them. We are asking to get a fair representation without forcing everyone to debate on the forums

Just as I stated these polls would be written, they would be written to where it would lead those especially players that are new to the game into selecting YES because if you say NO you are making things harder on yourself and others. They do not state the negative aspects of it, it is made to sound as if it is entirely inconsequential and meaningless.

Way back in December when SJ said that "In the future we will use in-game polls to determine if power items will be available in the marketplace" then with 36 hours came back and said "WE have decided that we are going to leave research reduction potions on because it takes NO EFFORT, only time" to get masters. So you can expect them there because if they do not like the results, they are either going to just say that is what the players wanted OR they will just fall back on this precedent that they have ALREADY set. I have May 1st as the over/under date but I figure they will probably go live with DoV pt 2 on the 17th.

SOE Why do you feed us this 'fair representation' garbage? Fair representation would be 1 poll per account, instead the more alts one has the more votes they get, which means the more SC someone has spent for extra char slots (which I have bought 5 and have no problem with type of stuff on the marketplace) then they get more votes. Do not expect to see any red names in here unless then end in -##, the poll clearly stated they are not interested in any discussion on the forum because the negative aspects can be brought up.

This does NOTHING but further seperate the player base and discourage grouping and make certain classes less appealing.

Might as well brace yourselves for it, folks it is already here, someone just needs to check the box that displays it in the marketplace window.

__________________
All actions have consequences and repercussions.



Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator
SOE-MOD-02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,001
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5742072 Insults are against the forum guidelines.
__________________
|| Forum Guidelines || Knowledge Base || Tech Support ||
SOE-MOD-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

If they come I will certainly have fun teasing the people that buy them. Good naturedly of course..like "Man you are such a good DPS class that you have to buy those health potions because you steal aggro so often" or "Man, you are so good at tossing out those nukes that you need those rez potions just to keep you in the game cause no tank is going to be able to counter the godliness of your DPS."

Or in level chat if people say they buy them..."You need those potions because you are so good at soloing those dungeons that you can't get a healer to come with you because they would be embarrased to be in the shadow of you godliness."

Things like that.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #26
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

Geothe wrote:

*Please do not quote forum violations*

There was a time when we had a Gard and a Guard around here, along with a Gal, that SOE actually talked straight.

Funny thing...I would if they aren't around because of the double talk, or because they aren't around we get the doubletalk?

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #27
LadyMist

Loremaster
LadyMist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 270
Default

people already pay to win for gear and raid runs with plat, this is no different

__________________
LadyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

LadyMist wrote:

people already pay to win for gear and raid runs with plat, this is no different

Yeah, with SLR gone wild, I'm not sure what it matters.  I would also bet that the people who complain the loudest will be the first purchasers so they can solo more plat raids.

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
Lempo

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,179
Default

LadyMist wrote:

people already pay to win for gear and raid runs with plat, this is no different

It most certainly is different, the rate at which it comes into the game would be unlimited before it goes to SLR now it must be obtained by all that need it.

__________________
All actions have consequences and repercussions.



Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #30
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator
SOE-MOD-02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,001
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5742101 Insults are against the forum guidelines.
__________________
|| Forum Guidelines || Knowledge Base || Tech Support ||
SOE-MOD-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.