EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
SteelPiston

Loremaster

I go to log into the game and at the launcher, I get a pop up asking me to accept or decline the EULA.

Did something change and if so, what? Didn't I already accept all this years ago?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Sandyfoot

Loremaster

Was kicked from AB (says AB is locked), went to log back in and found this "new" Eula.

The following is from the EULA:

Updated December 2, 2008

Please remember to review the current terms and conditions of the EverQuest II User Agreement and Software License. Thank you.

Since it is now 2012, if anything has changed, it is not reflected by the date provided in the EULA. 

Sandyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

I go to log into the game and at the launcher, I get a pop up asking me to accept or decline the EULA.

Did something change and if so, what? Didn't I already accept all this years ago?

I got that too.  i figured it changed and they just forgot to update the edit date at the top.  That would not be suprising.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
ranga

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

Yes, it has changed, quite significantly I notice.

If you accept it (and you have no choice if you want to continue playing) you accept that Sony and their partners can access your PC and collect technical information to improve the gaming experience and more importantly, you agree that they and their agents (including but particularly I presume, P7S1) can take control of your PC for among other reasons, to assist with customer support.

We do not think about a transfer of US server chars from EU costumers in Eq2. That should solve the biggest worries the EQ2 community has at the moment. We do not want to interfere with long build ingame relationships. This is the current way we think about it.

ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
feldon30

Fansite Staff

I made a backup of c:EverQuest IIEQ2EQ2TOS.htm and then ran the patcher and didn't get a new file. It's still from December 2, 2008. I also checked the SOE Knowledgebase and their document is still dated December 2, 2008.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

They are probably just messing around with the launcher again.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
SteelPiston

Loremaster

ranga wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

Yes, it has changed, quite significantly I notice.

If you accept it (and you have no choice if you want to continue playing) you accept that Sony and their partners can access your PC and collect technical information to improve the gaming experience and more importantly, you agree that they and their agents (including but particularly I presume, P7S1) can take control of your PC for among other reasons, to assist with customer support.

So, SOE did update the EULA. I wonder why nobody removed all the old junk about Live Gamer etc unless it's been left incase of a future return to exchange servers?

Take control of my pc? I'm sure the hackers will love this new ability to mess with our stuff.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
redwoodtreesprite

Loremaster

ranga wrote:

What?????

Isn't the taking control of the PC one of the things that is supposed to be removed from the ProSabien situation?

Then WHY is that being added to everyone else?

I do NOT want any time a company can take control of my computer!!!

redwoodtreesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
SlashnGut

Loremaster

The statement of them being able to take control of your comp has been in there for at least a couple years now. Looks like not too many people actually pay attention to the EULA when it pops up.

Sucha 92 Conjuror/92 Sage

Mrshal 92 Monk/92 Carpenter

Bloodwingg 92 Necromancer/92 Tailor

Tior 92 Warlock/92 Provisioner

Holyer 92 Paladin/92 Armoror

Grogg 90 Berserker/92 Alchemist

Etat 90 Bruiser/92 Jeweler

Dawizz 90 Wizard/92 Woodworker

Punting 90 Brigand

Kountdracula 90 Dirge

Omgiman 92 Warden

SlashnGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
feldon30

Fansite Staff

You expressly permit SOE to upload CPU, operating system, video card, sound card and memory information from your computer to analyze and optimize your Game experience, improve and maintain the Game and/or provide you with customer service.

eg. DirectX dumps or Recap logs

Furthermore, if you request any technical support, you consent to our remote accessing and review of the computer you load the Software onto for purposes of support and debugging.

eg. If you ask "Can you fix my computer so it will play EQ2?" then Customer Service may ask you to Remote Desktop into your PC so they can fix it for you.

Wow. Scary.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

You expressly permit SOE to upload CPU, operating system, video card, sound card and memory information from your computer to analyze and optimize your Game experience, improve and maintain the Game and/or provide you with customer service.

eg. DirectX dumps or Recap logs

They also track if you attach a debugger to the client and ban you for doing so SMILEY

That was new with that EULA change as well.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
DonnyOddlegs

Loremaster

I can't see any changes from an EULA in an old client backup from 2008.

In any case, I would assume that asking customers to agree to new terms and conditions whilst the unmodified issue date implies there is no change would be treated as deception in most countries and not legally binding.

DonnyOddlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Ahma

Assoc. Producer

There was a small change to the EULA--a block of text was removed that referenced a wesite for parental controls that no longer exists.  Nothing was added.

Abby "Ahma" Watt

Associate Producer

EverQuest II
Ahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
DonnyOddlegs

Loremaster

So the statement "Updated December 2, 2008" is a typo?

Withdrawal of existing rights can be just as pernicious as addition of new restrictions. I have to click the accept button to play the game and should be able to assume that no change to the date means no change to the  T&C, no matter how trivial.

DonnyOddlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
Wingrider01

Loremaster

DonnyOddlegs wrote:

Withdrawal of existing rights can be just as pernicious as addition of new restrictions. I have to click the accept button to play the game and should be able to assume that no change to the date means no change to the  T&C, no matter how trivial.

If the accept button shows up I read it, but then I tend to read everything that can hold me responsible for something that I have to sign or agree to.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Calthine

ZAM EQII

DonnyOddlegs wrote:

This.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Deago

Loremaster

Remote help is nothing new as it has been around for many years.  Most folks probably do not realize they have the windows service turned on etc.. 

I doubt eq2 is adding in its own service.  So in that sense you should be just fine unless you ask for the assistance.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

DonnyOddlegs wrote:

I wonder if that invalidates it since it has legally inaccurate information in it.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

I wonder if that invalidates it since it has legally inaccurate information in it.

Perhaps, but it doesn't really matter, as the EULA grants you no rights, and if you have an issue with how the EULA is used against you in SOE enforcing their rights, good luck in arbitrating that.