EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2007-2011
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
kol

The iPhone is so 2007! =p

You do realize that iPhone usage is being eclipsed by Android and don't forget about those Blackberry and Windows Mobile users too!

A mobile website application is really the way to go. The only potential benefit I could see to an application is that it would allow people to have a schedule in their phone and without having to have cell service (which is often problematic in the hotels in vegas).

If that's one of the goals of the iPhone app, I strongly suggest using public calendars. There are many different ways to create these (google calendar, apple's iCal, etc) and then people can subscribe to them and view them in their phones and see any changes that may occur.

Also, I strongly suggest investigating a tool called Google Moderator (http://www.google.com/moderator/). I know there is an Android app (of course, its a Google product)... I'm not sure if they have made an application for other platforms, but the mobile website works from any phone with a web browser.

Why would you want to use Google Moderator? Well, it allows the participants at the event (or even those from around the world that couldn't make it in person), to pose questions for the speakers. Other people can view the questions posed by their fellow attendees, and can vote for or against each question. Then, at the portion of the event that's reserved for questions, instead of having an awkward silence when asking for questions, the speaker can just look at the most supported question and address it in front of everyone. Those questions that there isn't enough time for can be addressed after the session.

At Google's Developer conference it worked very well, and I've used it at a few other events to ensure that the most important topics get heard and that there's a record of what people are interested in hearing about.

Oh, and yes.. I'm the same person who promoted the use of twitter before twitter was cool, and suggested promoting official tags for pictures, videos, blog posts, and other content online for that it can be easily found. I'd suggest tagging items with both "soefanfaire" and "soefanfaire2010" (i think "soe" was part of the tag last year, but can't find the post here as I think it was archived).

I think that's all I had in mind for this year! If there's anything I could help work out some details with, I'd be happy to volunteer some time to help make things awesome!

Calpus / Fawwr / Porb / @RyanK on twitter

kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Ashlanne

Project Manager

Thanks for the suggestions on the app... That was my fault on the Tweet with the tag.

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Leko

SOE Community Council

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...hone-share1.png

Acording to Nielsen the iPhone still has a much larger market share then any other smart phone.

Leko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Irish

Journeyman

The Android system here in the United states has rapidly passed the iphone os so far this year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/an...data-2010-05-10

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/05/10...us-market-share

Also a lot of innacuracies on most market share info on th I OS in that they keep the Itouch and now the recently released Ipad in there operating system sales  figures.

In the U.S. currently 28 percent is the android ,21 percent i os, and 36 % on blackberry systems.

Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
kol

My comments about the iPhone being so 2007 were very tongue in cheek. I'm well aware that people are very attached to their technology and I really don't mean to start a flame war with Apple fanboys.

The reality is, there are MANY ways to slice the market data to make the data look better for any one of the players (well, except for Palm or Windows Mobile, lol).

With that said, I can't help but see that if apple hasn't already lost the mobile phone market, they are well on their way. It's a repeat of what they did with the Macintosh, keeping firm control over all aspects of their platform and losing out to a far more open alternative that was cheaper and able to innovate faster. That's totally my opinion, of course.. and that discussion doesn't really belong here.

My point was to not make non-iPhone users second class citizens at Fan Faire when there are other options that would include all smart phone owners. Of course, its likely too late as development is probably already in progress so that the app could be completed and submitted to Apple for approval. 

Presuming it is too late to shift directions and there aren't resources for producing an Android app, I'd volunteer my time to make that possible as I'm sure the feature set is not difficult at all.

Thanks for listening to my rants!

kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
SG_01

Valued Contributor

Leko wrote:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...hone-share1.png

Acording to Nielsen the iPhone still has a much larger market share then any other smart phone.

According to that graph, Blackberry is bigger than iPhone.

Anywho, as Kolak offered for Android, I guess I can make a Windows Mobile 2005+ app if needed.

SG_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #7
Kela

Master

kolak wrote:

Why would you want to use Google Moderator? Well, it allows the participants at the event (or even those from around the world that couldn't make it in person), to pose questions for the speakers. Other people can view the questions posed by their fellow attendees, and can vote for or against each question. Then, at the portion of the event that's reserved for questions, instead of having an awkward silence when asking for questions, the speaker can just look at the most supported question and address it in front of everyone. Those questions that there isn't enough time for can be addressed after the session.

At Google's Developer conference it worked very well, and I've used it at a few other events to ensure that the most important topics get heard and that there's a record of what people are interested in hearing about.

In the 3 fan faires I have been too in the game panels there never was a shortage of questions that people wanted to ask, though I am sure many people would of liked to vote on some of the questions though. As for the more technical panels, yeah that did have a lack of questions sometimes, but that was more do to the lack of wide popularity of the panel and I don't see that application adding increasing people's desire to find out more about Station Launchpad, beyond those already geeky enough about this stuff to already be attending fan faire(I include myself in that group, as I did attend that panel).

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Rothgar

Developer

The iPhone app is now available on the app store (free).  However, version 1.1 is in the process of being approved.  It will include hi-res artwork for the iPhone 4, updated maps and a couple of bug fixes.

While I appreciated the suggestions for Android and other smart phone apps, this was something I did in my own time.  I'm not an Android developer and don't have the time to figure it out prior to the conference.  Last year I created a web app but due to the wi-fi restriction it couldn't be as widely used as I'd like.  With this new app, attendees that have an iPod touch or iPad (as you mentioned) will also be able to make use of the app.

Perhaps by next year we'll be in a better position to provide an option for other types of smart phones.  Personally I have nothing against the Android O/S and think some of the phones are great devices.  I'd like to look into development for it myself.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
SG_01

Valued Contributor

Hey Rothgar, if you can send me some screenshots / assets I can whip up a Windows Mobile version you are free to distribute You can then emulate it at work (assuming you have Visual Studio 2003 or higher) and test it out. I'll even send you the source code.

P.S I might make one regardless just to kill some time in the airplane SMILEY

SG_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Meric

Journeyman

Is there some kind of app for my new Andriod software handset "Samsung Vibrant" that I just got?

Meric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Tanilya

The Quiet Type

I just downloaded the app and I think that it will be extremely useful for me. 

Thanks Rothgar!! SMILEY

Tanilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
neodraykl

The Quiet Type

Thank you for the awesome app Rothgar! One question, I did notice that the schedule is different from what is posted on the main page, is a corrected schedule part of the 1.1 app you mentioned?

neodraykl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
RokshNRoll

Happy Camper

So I downloaded and installed the app on my ipod touch 3G, everything seems to work fine, however there seems to be quite a few entries left over from last years fan fair and some mislabled panels etc (according to the latest schedule posted on the fanfaire site) will you have a complete, accurate schedule within the next week or so?

RokshNRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
RokshNRoll

Happy Camper

Hmm I just noticed that the Ipod safari browser is attaching itself to the .../ipod directory on the sony servers, perhaps  somebody forgot to update that directory for this year??

Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #15
RokshNRoll

Happy Camper

...errr the directory I seem to be getting linked to is http://events.sony.station.com/fanfaire/iphone/

maybe that will help

Old 07-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
RokshNRoll

Happy Camper

Question answered, the schedule updated this morning! everything looks great, thanks for the cool app!

Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
Calthine

SOE Community Council

I got the app for my touch but have a 'Droid on it's way to me, lol.

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
Celandi

Thanks for the apps info... I have a blackberry so I'll have to look and see if this is available for me.  :)

So what *is* the official hashtag for Twitter?  because #soefanfaire and #soefanfaire2010 don't seem to be being used much (or at all).

Celandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
Kela

Master

I thought it was more like #soeff2010 or something like that. though the FF Twitter stuff usually doesn't get active until FF starts up.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #20
Arwyn_RoV

The Quiet Type

Begun these phone platform wars have...

From what was said someone at SoE made the SoEFanFaire app in their spare time.   For that I thank them.      Its not like the style/content and material is secret.   You want an adroid or blackberry app for that?    Write it!.

As for me, thanks for the app, SoE phone app writer person..  I'll be using it.

Arwyn_RoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #21
Jyve

SOE Community Council

As I've said in another post, next year there will be an Android app one way or another.
Jyve is offline   Reply With Quote