EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #31
Karlen

Loremaster
Karlen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,513
Default

One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #32
Katsi

Loremaster
Katsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 437
Default

[email protected] wrote:
One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
Oooh, this one has my vote!- Katsi
__________________
And all this comes from the deranged mind of a 35+ year-old, married 20+ years, parent of a male teen, rabid FEMALE gamer.

In loving memory of my RL Best Friend who was known here as Djenchla, Djenchri, Moreless, Chai, Debacle, and many others. 02/27/09
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #33
Rqron

Loremaster
Rqron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 886
Default

bleap wrote:
Rothgar wrote:
Unfortunately we probably won't be increasing the size of the journal anytime soon.  As it is, the amount of data we store for a single character is pretty enormous.  Incomplete quests make up a pretty  large part of that data.  When a quest is completed, we don't have to store near as much info about it, but while its still open, we have to keep up with which stages are completed and all the other details about it.  If we were to increase the number of incomplete quests you could have open, it wouldn't take long before most of the active characters out there had filled up the space.  This could definitely have an impact on the time it takes to load and save characters.The game servers also have to keep up with every quest that a character has open so it can check to see if a quest gets updated whenever a mob is killed or an npc is hailed, etc.  So allowing people to have more open quests could also impact server memory usage and response time as it would have to check more quests.I just wanted to respond to this thread so people would understand that many times when it seems like it would be easy to change a number from 80 to 100, there are often many other things to consider behind the scenes.On the upside, we're always trying to make improvements to performance, memory usage and database usage.  Autenil has been working on this lately and making some nice improvements that should go out soon.
I purchased a terrabyte hard drive for less than $300. How hard could it be to increase the amount of storage you have? You are Sony for goodness sakes.....spend the coin and satisfy your customers...LOL
Well, just because you bought a "consumer grade" HDD for less then 300 bucks does not mean that a "commercial" grade is that cheap. They are two different animals. I just shelled out $2000 bucks for a commercial hot swappable 500gig HDD at work. And remember, its not just storage that needs to be updated , power supplies, memory banks, backup, backup power capacity it all ripples through the system...just add HDD space is NOT as easy as it sounds and it is not as easy as upgrading your home computer system so the cost if implemented game wide could easy be  10-50K. And dependent on how utilized the current system is you may look at added costs for racks, utility feeds and so on.The best way to address this is to just delete all gray quests you have not started or no intention of finishing, then delete all quests you may never do because hey you are too busy. It is easy to print out the solo and heroic time lines and then go back if there is a quest or quest series you may want to do. The biggest problem I am seeing are the players who just can't pass a NPC with a feather over his head without getting the quest. It is better to be selective in what quest you want to do..get only a few at a time and do them..concentrate on them and then get the next. I have only a minimum of quests on all my characters..not because I don't like questing but because I am selective, and strife to do quest from the beginning to the end without leaving them in my journal for months.J.C.
Rqron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
Rqron

Loremaster
Rqron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 886
Default

[email protected] wrote:
One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
Why? this is where quest sharing comes in nicely, if you never started the quest or don't have them in your journal then have it shared and start it right there. And yes there are some quests you can't get that way because you have to have done some pre requisite quests but..if you've done them it will be in your journal and if you don't it would not mater anyways.J.C.
Rqron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #35
Rashaak

Loremaster
Rashaak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,413
Default

Rqron wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
Why? this is where quest sharing comes in nicely, if you never started the quest or don't have them in your journal then have it shared and start it right there. And yes there are some quests you can't get that way because you have to have done some pre requisite quests but..if you've done them it will be in your journal and if you don't it would not mater anyways.J.C.

Um....I do not think you two are talking about the same thing....

What is being suggested is that current quests that have not been completed, but do not want to be deleted because they may finish them off one day while mentoring a friend, ally, or guildy to have them archived in an offline format that would not take up space required to maintain the journal in it's current state. Which is not a bad idea, just wondering how quickly it could be pulled back to an active quest from the archive....

/shrug

Rashaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #36
Gladiia
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Driven
Rank: Regent

Seer
Gladiia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,234
Default

Rashaak wrote:
Rqron wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
Why? this is where quest sharing comes in nicely, if you never started the quest or don't have them in your journal then have it shared and start it right there. And yes there are some quests you can't get that way because you have to have done some pre requisite quests but..if you've done them it will be in your journal and if you don't it would not mater anyways.J.C.

Um....I do not think you two are talking about the same thing....

What is being suggested is that current quests that have not been completed, but do not want to be deleted because they may finish them off one day while mentoring a friend, ally, or guildy to have them archived in an offline format that would not take up space required to maintain the journal in it's current state. Which is not a bad idea, just wondering how quickly it could be pulled back to an active quest from the archive....

/shrug

Saving quest data on the client side is probably just asking for someone to mass exploit quest completion.

I do like the idea, but I don't think it would be a pheasable option if done that way.

Gladiia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #37
Gaelrond

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19
Default

Rothgar wrote:
Unfortunately we probably won't be increasing the size of the journal anytime soon.  As it is, the amount of data we store for a single character is pretty enormous.  Incomplete quests make up a pretty  large part of that data.  When a quest is completed, we don't have to store near as much info about it, but while its still open, we have to keep up with which stages are completed and all the other details about it.  If we were to increase the number of incomplete quests you could have open, it wouldn't take long before most of the active characters out there had filled up the space.  This could definitely have an impact on the time it takes to load and save characters.The game servers also have to keep up with every quest that a character has open so it can check to see if a quest gets updated whenever a mob is killed or an npc is hailed, etc.  So allowing people to have more open quests could also impact server memory usage and response time as it would have to check more quests.I just wanted to respond to this thread so people would understand that many times when it seems like it would be easy to change a number from 80 to 100, there are often many other things to consider behind the scenes.On the upside, we're always trying to make improvements to performance, memory usage and database usage.  Autenil has been working on this lately and making some nice improvements that should go out soon.
If storage is an issue, why not take all those old quests that are non-deleteable and make them deleteable.  I've had a couple of toons that have had quests for over a year that can't be deleted and I have far outleveled.  I have gone back to complete a few of them just because I'm sick of looking at them; but most I've noticed are old access quests that are no longer required and I don't usually bother.  The other one that really irritates me is the Bloodline Chronicles timeline.  At one point I had deleted the item needed to update the quest, so now I can neither delete the quest or progress it.Just a thought.  Good to know the reason why it's not necessarily a good idea to expand the journal...
Gaelrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #38
Melodee

Loremaster
Melodee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 285
Default

Yes, yes! Let us destroy that darn Splitpaw quest! LOL
Melodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #39
Auranna

Loremaster
Auranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5
Default

bleap wrote:
I purchased a terrabyte hard drive for less than $300. How hard could it be to increase the amount of storage you have? You are Sony for goodness sakes.....spend the coin and satisfy your customers...LOL
Bleep, this is not a storage issue. Its an issue with how fast the server can read the data off the hard drive as well as how fast the server can process updates on character records. The bigger the record, the longer it takes to do updates. The longer the updates, the more it can seem like the game is lagging.
Auranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #40
Valdaglerion

Loremaster
Valdaglerion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,870
Default

Rothgar comes through again with the explanation, nice!To that end, I must agree that having the ability to delete any and all quests should be awesome.
Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #41
dawy

Loremaster
dawy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,373
Default

[email protected] wrote:
One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
Now this is a fine idea SMILEY
dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #42
Gargamel

Loremaster
Gargamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 708
Default

Meh... not to sound greedy, but here it goes.

I pay $30 a month for soe access... I only play EQ2 and planetside.

In addition to the cost of the game, the expansions, adventure packs, etc, I pay $30 a month for bandwidth used and to RENT storage space.

Considering I can get a 500gb hard drive for less than a hundred dollars (one time price) and my avg speed in eq2 is like 1.3kbps I won't accept the idea that the reason for quest journals not being increased is cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure thats what the suits are telling YOU, I'm just saying they are full of crap.

(as a comparison, I pay $250 a month for a car I will OWN, and less than $175 a month for a college degree that I have for life)

__________________
Willlow
Halfling Troubadour Carpenter
Antonia Bayle


EQ2 Map -- The most essential eq2 plugin
EQ2LLInks -- Which mobs drop what from where
Advanced Combat Tracker -- The best combat parser and tracker


(NOTE: All of the above are approved and sactioned for use by SoE and do not violate the Terms of Service in any way, so use 'em!) .
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #43
Luag

Loremaster
Luag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 207
Default

[email protected] wrote:
One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
an alternative that would use less drive space might be to have a new tab that holds "leads" quest starters that you can carry around like clues or a real journal or info on things you need to check out, and permit us to downgrade current active quests to leads, and allow us to pick up quests and not act on them right away, putting them into that tab or go active with them, that way the ones in leads would have no progress data, and thus be only a fraction of the active quest's space
Luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 AM   #44
shadowscale

Forum Dragon
shadowscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,535
Default

ok, heres an issue thogh. say they actualy do add more slots. its just going to fill up agen if you dont do the quests that are building up in the first place.
shadowscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #45
Iceman7

Loremaster
Iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
Default

shadowscale wrote:
ok, heres an issue thogh. say they actualy do add more slots. its just going to fill up agen if you dont do the quests that are building up in the first place.
Exactly. So really the only complaint now would be that we can't delete some old grey quests to make our journals look pretty.
Iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #46
Taityana

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 15
Default

I understand everyone feels it's easy to just go back and do the grey quests, but it's not.  I have finished all my quests with the exception of writs that I have deleted.  Up until around my 40's it was easy to not move on until I had complete the lower quests, but then the they started to build up. 

The problem is you are FORCED to quest with at least one other person in order to mentor to the appropriate level.  So now, you have to find someone that is interested in questing.  Most times I mentor down my T8 characters, people get XP signs in their eyes and want PL grind session, a named hunt, or anything else but questing.  Before I get jumped for that, it's not ALL THE TIME, but it is more common than not. 

What would possibly be helpful is the ability to mentor down without a target... but then that is *another* can of worms...

Taityana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #47
Valdaglerion

Loremaster
Valdaglerion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,870
Default

dawy wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
One thing that might be nice would be a quest "archive" where you could move ongoing quests that you don't want to delete but really don't want to do today.  For example, at level 74 there are many lower level quests I haven't done which I had to delete to make room for the RoK quests.   Lots of these were quests from Zek, EL and other places from many levels ago.  It would be nice if, rather than deleting them, I could move them to an offline quest archive where they would not get updated but also would retain my progress.   I could unarchive them one day when I mentor someone who is going to Zek.While in the archive, the quest would not be able to be updated.
Now this is a fine idea SMILEY<img src=" />
There are too many possible exploits for offline quest information. The more time you give someone with a file of information the higher the probability is the information will get hacked out. That is the reason certain information is only stored server side to begin with.
Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #48
Karlen

Loremaster
Karlen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,513
Default

It was never my intention that the quest archive would be client-based.   It could be stored offline, but it would have to be offline at the EQ2 server farm, not offline at your house.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #49
Gungo

Loremaster
Gungo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crushbone
Posts: 5,378
Default

Taityana wrote:

I understand everyone feels it's easy to just go back and do the grey quests, but it's not.  I have finished all my quests with the exception of writs that I have deleted.  Up until around my 40's it was easy to not move on until I had complete the lower quests, but then the they started to build up. 

The problem is you are FORCED to quest with at least one other person in order to mentor to the appropriate level.  So now, you have to find someone that is interested in questing.  Most times I mentor down my T8 characters, people get XP signs in their eyes and want PL grind session, a named hunt, or anything else but questing.  Before I get jumped for that, it's not ALL THE TIME, but it is more common than not. 

What would possibly be helpful is the ability to mentor down without a target... but then that is *another* can of worms...

You do know you can do those quests greyed out? I mean if your one of those people complaining they want to do eveyr single quest and they always go grey even with combat xp off. You should exstatic about doing those grey quests =P.

You are not forced to do anything becuase you can always do it by yourself.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #50
Kursa

Loremaster
Kursa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 345
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

 When the game launched, I **think** the journal was the same size as it is now. Yet we have bumped the level cap three times, added hundreds and hundreds of quests since that time...

Not exactly, lol. The starting journal was HELL.
__________________


Kursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #51
Gkar

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10
Default

not sure if this was mentioned, would be nice if i could export to html either selected or all of my quests, just the text at a minimum and keep the expandable tree in place. dont know how many times i wished i could print my quests

Gkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #52
ke'la

Loremaster
ke'la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,445
Default

Rothgar wrote:
SisterTheresa wrote:
If that's the case, get out there people and finish those quests!  *cracks her whip*
Haha, now you sound like me.  SMILEY<img src=" width="15" height="15" />  In addition to finishing those quests, delete unnecessary items, consolidate items into stacks and delete unused characters.  :p  I've always been an efficiency nut so when I found a way to remove about 20-30 bytes of data from every item we store my inner-geek was happy!  SMILEY<img src=" width="15" height="15" />  Unfortunately items don't get saved until you move them or change them, so when this fix goes live I'll have to ask everyone to open their bags, bank and house vaults and move all their items around.  :p  ke'la wrote:
How about upgrading the Journal to make managing the the quests we do have easier?
If you have some suggestions, shoot them to me in a PM.

To the first part, why not just dump everything... and I do mean EVERYTHING, into peoples overflow slot(j/k PLEASE don't do that). SMILEY That should take care of a good bit of that stuff. SMILEY

As to the second, part Being able to only display heroic or solo quests would be one thing, also in specific reguards to RoK, having the ablity to sort via Quest Camp as Opposed to zone would be helpful, I am never shure wich quest camp the quests came from.

__________________

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:49 AM   #53
ke'la

Loremaster
ke'la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,445
Default

Gargamel wrote:

Meh... not to sound greedy, but here it goes.

I pay $30 a month for soe access... I only play EQ2 and planetside.

In addition to the cost of the game, the expansions, adventure packs, etc, I pay $30 a month for bandwidth used and to RENT storage space.

Considering I can get a 500gb hard drive for less than a hundred dollars (one time price) and my avg speed in eq2 is like 1.3kbps I won't accept the idea that the reason for quest journals not being increased is cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure thats what the suits are telling YOU, I'm just saying they are full of crap.

(as a comparison, I pay $250 a month for a car I will OWN, and less than $175 a month for a college degree that I have for life)

It has nothing to do with STORAGE it has everything to do with Database Searchs, every time your toon does ANYTHING that might update a quest, or have something to do with a quest, the game has to search your journal. This takes some time(a second or two at most) now lets say you increase the number of records to 100, now thats 30 more records PER CARACTOR that the database has to seach through everytime thier MIGHT be an update. That will cause the Database to bog down some, maybe it will add say a second to the update time, that second will look to the player to be Lag, eventhough it's really just a database record search on his and his groups bloated quest journals. That is the issue not data storage.
__________________

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #54
Sirenta

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 124
Default

Therefore an archive would be nice, just like the done tab, where you can move quests to and from.

Quests on that tab will not update, hence the Program does not need to look them up.

 But actually i do think that Sony implemented it at zonetime that this is done internally.

Sirenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:44 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.