EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Performance Support
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
VW_Factor

Loremaster

This has been ongoing since the last big patch. 

Ive been trying to figure out what on my end might be causing it.  No amount of changing things on this end changes anything...

So..

This is a recent machine.  Its plenty fast.  Will zone to wherever in like 3 or 4 seconds..  BUT..  95% of the time, it will pause at "Loading UI Resources" for like 15 to 20 seconds.  I can watch on another account and the toon is there in the zone, ready to go..

What in the heck is going on here?  Stock UI, or not..  No amount of deleting .ini files fixes anything..  Its that 5% of the time that the game doesnt do this, that lets me know something is wrong.  My laptop doesnt have this issue, and neither does my other machine with lesser hardware. 

So..  Whats the deal?  What do I need to change to get this behavior to quit.  It was not doing this before that last big update mind you.

VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Litlbigman

Loremaster

Having the same problem, see my post http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=460375.

It also happens when evac'ing, which now takes like 30 sec. By the time I finally respawn, my whole group's back to where we were.

Litlbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
VW_Factor

Loremaster

Are you using nVidia or ATI hardware?  Just curious

Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Litlbigman

Loremaster

Nvidia, but I don't think that matters.

I've defragged my disk, as it was suggested by a member of support, but it didn't work. Simplest way would be for tech support to tell us what changes they made to zone loading in last update. It was after 'the Shard of Destiny' update that you started experiencing this problem, right ?

I wonder if deleting the uisettings of alternate characters would help.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Tro

General

Here is what I am seeing:

Zone to anywhere.. I get added to the zone where the zone flashes in front of me for a split second then it goes back to "Loading UI Resources" for about 10-15 seconds then I can see the zone and start to interact with it.

For some reason after my character is added to the zone it goes back to  "Loading UI Resources" for an additional 10-15 seconds..

And yes it is very annoying as this did not start happening until GU 53 went live.  Is this a symptom of the memory issue?

I have 4 GB or ram.

Tro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
MurFalad

Loremaster

I noticed that as soon as I added a custom UI piece (Auto attack bars) it does pause at the loading UI message for a few seconds, really not 100% sure if it was there before, but it does pause.

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Despak

Loremaster

It seems to happen after you have zoned a few (or once to a Guildhall). it appears to be tied to the fact that SoE screwed up the last update and gave (some, most, all (that play on high settings)) us a free memory leak or just plain stop removing crap from the RAM when you zone.
Despak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Tro

General

MurFalad wrote:

I noticed that as soon as I added a custom UI piece (Auto attack bars) it does pause at the loading UI message for a few seconds, really not 100% sure if it was there before, but it does pause.

I use Profit UI and prior to GU 53 this problem was not present. I am 100% absolutely sure of it.. I noticed it immediately the first time it started happening.. I am usually a pretty fast zoner... That has now changed.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

What server are you playing on?  I know that GU53 increased the database load and that is causing some delay on high population servers.  It appears that they are performing some major upgrades today so I'd be interested to see if the problem is better after they finish.

Technical Support Representative

Sony Online Entertainment
TSR-DanielH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Tro

General

I am on Crushbone and will be glad to report my results here after whatever fix they are working on goes live.. Will you let us know when that goes live so we can get the results in as fast as possible?

Please let me know..

Thanks

Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
sox

Loremaster

Having the same issue here along with a couple of friends. Im on Crushbone server and so are they. This started happening right after GU53. I didnt play EQ2 for about a month after it and when i came back i figured it was gonna have been fixed, but it hasnt. Still same problem with loading UI resources and i sometimes get EQclient error out of nowhere. Also lagging badly sometimes and yes this seems to happen mostly after i been to the GH.

I have a brand new comp (5 months old) and only EQ2 installed so far and was running just fine up til GU53 so this isnt a comp problem. Its something with the game.

Edit: Ok it hasnt been fixed as someone mentioned, just happened to me again plus getting EQclient error zoning to GH. Fix this crap.

sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Enever

Loremaster

Same problem here.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

sox wrote:

Having the same issue here along with a couple of friends. Im on Crushbone server and so are they. This started happening right after GU53. I didnt play EQ2 for about a month after it and when i came back i figured it was gonna have been fixed, but it hasnt. Still same problem with loading UI resources and i sometimes get EQclient error out of nowhere. Also lagging badly sometimes and yes this seems to happen mostly after i been to the GH.

I have a brand new comp (5 months old) and only EQ2 installed so far and was running just fine up til GU53 so this isnt a comp problem. Its something with the game.

Edit: Ok it hasnt been fixed as someone mentioned, just happened to me again plus getting EQclient error zoning to GH. Fix this crap.

The guild hall tends to use a large amount of memory due to the amount of items placed inside.  You might want to consider lowering your graphics settings, at least temporarily, while accessing the guild hall.  That should not have an effect on the increased zone times, but should prevent an outright crash. 

Also, at least one person in the thread has mentioned using an Nvidia card.  What drivers are you using?  If you're using the 190 or 191 series drivers then I would advise reverting to the 186 series for the near future.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
MurFalad

Loremaster

TSR-DanielH wrote:

What server are you playing on?  I know that GU53 increased the database load and that is causing some delay on high population servers.  It appears that they are performing some major upgrades today so I'd be interested to see if the problem is better after they finish.

I'm on Runneye here, I've noticed that while on my laptop with no custom UI the loading UI stays up for about 1s, on the desktop (much more powerful Athlon 955 3.2Ghz vs 1.5Ghz Core 2) its there for about 5-6s (at least that's what it feels like, I'll try and time it the weekend).  The difference between the two of them is that I have Dragon's auto attack bar on the desktop as the only custom UI addition, while the laptop has nothing.

Should such a small UI addition cause this large a delay?  I'd have guessed that the time to load would be negible, unless there is a lot more processing involved.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Soldancer

Loremaster

Please devs do something. It's horrible. After a few zonings it needs minutes to load option settings or switching between window-mode/fullscreen. It's independent from server or client version because I have the same problems on Valor and Runnyeye server. Was all fine before the last LU nut now smooth playing is impossible.

Soldancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

MurFalad wrote:

I'm on Runneye here, I've noticed that while on my laptop with no custom UI the loading UI stays up for about 1s, on the desktop (much more powerful Athlon 955 3.2Ghz vs 1.5Ghz Core 2) its there for about 5-6s (at least that's what it feels like, I'll try and time it the weekend).  The difference between the two of them is that I have Dragon's auto attack bar on the desktop as the only custom UI addition, while the laptop has nothing.

Should such a small UI addition cause this large a delay?  I'd have guessed that the time to load would be negible, unless there is a lot more processing involved.

I assume that the UI element has it's own thread on eq2interface.com?  Are other people reporting similar issues within that thread?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #17
VW_Factor

Loremaster

I see this getting off course, about zoning times..  Its not the time to zone.  My computer loads the zone quickly, and puts my toon in zone quickly.  However..

Loading UI Resources is where I get a hang up.  90% of the time, this happens.  Sometimes it wont.  Its frustrating, because its not textures loading into video ram or anything like that.  Doesnt have anything to do with graphics settings.  Nothing to do with the zone Im zoning into.  Nothing to do with the UI elements (Ive tried stock, and various windows open and / or closed).  

I am convinced its something in the code or the like.  I remember quite some time ago, the 8800 nVidia hardware had long zone times for whatever reason.  This seems similar in behavior to that..  (I dont quite remember it was some time ago) 

Anyway.  I dont want to see the discussion getting into zoning times.  This happens after the toon is zoned.  (I can see him on my other computer, on the other account, he is there in the world, and buffs, etc are registered in the group)

Old 10-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #18
Litlbigman

Loremaster

It's been now one month since this problem arised and yet we have received no information as to effectively solve the problem.

From the posts in this subject, it's easy to see that it's not a question of server, video card or which zone you log into/out of.

I would appreciate if some tech support person could tell us they are working to find a solution.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #19
MurFalad

Loremaster

TSR-DanielH wrote:

MurFalad wrote:

I assume that the UI element has it's own thread on eq2interface.com?  Are other people reporting similar issues within that thread?

There are no issues (apart from problems getting it installed, it took me a fair while to find the correct combination of files to get it working, just issues with following the instructions though).

The mod itself DragonWolfs auto attack bar is very small, but when I did briefly look at it it looked to be only 4-5 lines of compressed code, maybe it does something recursively that is odd, I'll have to check through the code myself though to find out, but right now the delay while small (5 or so seconds) does feel all out of proportion to the mods size so it seemed relevant to this thread).

Old 10-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #20
Tro

General

I played this morning and zoned a few times and did not experience this issue at all.. I changed nothing. I will be raiding tomorrow evening and will see what happens but this problem seems to be cleared (For me anyway).

Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
Tro

General

In my previous post I tried to zone into a couple zones (Time limitation) to see if the problem still exists for me.  Did more extensive testing and zoned into 14 different zones (GH included) and it seems this problem is in fact cleared for me.. Did not see this issue once. Not sure what was done but ty very much !!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #22
Litlbigman

Loremaster

We are all very happy for you Talsmar, but you've probably never experienced this problem in the first place.

Here, the problem persists, and since yesterday's patch didn't solve it and there's been no definite solution posted by SoE on this thread, I guess we've all wasted our time.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #23
Tro

General

If you read my first post on this I describe what the OP is seeing. I just gave a bit more detail (he even says he can see his toon in game from another account).

I am sure it was the same problem.. Only started after GU53.

Like I said. I did nothing different, changed nothing. The problem just went away so I wanted to let SoE know that for me atleast, I am good to go. I am on the Crushbone server if it matters..

Old 11-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #24
Brethe

Lord

I'm on Kithicor and have been having this problem since the last update as well.  Zoning goes fine until the "Loading UI Resources", where it will hang for a bit.  I used to zone in before all my friends did and now since the last patch, I zone in last.  Problem still ongoing.

Brethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #25
BDoodle

Loremaster

Hey, have you guys played since the latest pacth?

I was experiencing similarly long load times previously, (though it's been like that since I started EQ2 a few weeks ago, so I took it as the norm.) What I was experiencing was a slow UI Resources load, then when it got to 100% it would return to 50% and eventually let me in once it got to 100% again, (took over 10sec every time.)

But since the latest patch the UI Resources load in less than a second, for me. I hope this is the same for you.

If not, I have a couple of easy to impliment ideas you might like to try.

BDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #26
Ubersoldat

Loremaster

Related to this, me and my wife were running through the commonlands on some lowbie alts and ecided to run into TOMC for fun to get the dico at the door. We both appeared in the zone in 10 seconds or so, I saw he there, and we BOTH got aa (saw her AA level) however on her screen she was still loading UI resources. I ran agroed a mob, they agroed on her (Still loading on her end) and then hillariously proceeded to hit her several HUNDRED times for upwards of a million damage for almost 2 minutes before she finished zoning, the whole time standing there and not dropping as damage wheeled by.

She finally keeled over as the client finished loading on her end though on mine i was able to watch the whole thing as she was actually IN the zone but something serverside didnt seem to know it yet.

(She uses NVidia btw, I use ATI)

I will admit watching a lv 18 take on TOMC was funny though.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
Efour EQ2

Loremaster

Wow i came here looking for another issue but found this and i just want to add my support to this thread.

Myself and a few guildmates have also been suffering from this.  We all Use profit UI  and Our PC hardware varies from Top of the range down to Mid range.

After the GU53 update it all went wrong.  As the OP and subsequent posters identified.  I would quite often zone into areas in 2 seconds flat.  Infact it was a joke of mine on raids telling people to hurry up etc.

Now it literally takes 30s sometimes.. The charcter is there. I can hear movements, casting spells etc but it will just hang up.

For me personally It seems to happen about 8/10 times - But sometimes its flawless speed liek the old days.. So its hard to repeat the problem.

Infact while im typign this im goign to hop about some zone lines.  Druid portals etc. This is off peak UK time.Set to High quality in standard EQ2 settings.

Antonican guilg hall to Moors vis druid amenity - 1sec delay on UI resources.. to me that is normal. 

Moors Call of ro to Maj dul - 1 sec delay again

sinking sands to timerous deep on carpet 20 seconds! 

(i did a return journey and the client crashed zoning - many people also still experiance this too)

There i jsut managed it - i was starting to expect i couldnt get it to reproduce.

The charcter is added - then breifly dispalys then flicks back to loading UI resources on the cut screen.

So recap im using - Profit UI   and a Custom spell timer by Dragonwulf too.

I know for a fact that others that get this dont use the custom spell timer ( so im ruling that out) and the fact it donst happen on each zone but only some..

If anyone can add to that - the fact it dosnt occur every zone swap is baffleing.

Efour EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #28
Efour EQ2

Loremaster

Just to add I finsihed this post above then reloaded my crashed on zoning eq2.

took the carpet from SS to EFP and another 15-20s to load Ui resources..

thats from a fresh start, not after being in 3 or more zones...

BTW incase its not obvious im on the splitpaw server.

and its a 4870, 8gb ram, win 7 64bit, c2d at 3.3ghz

Efour EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #29
VW_Factor

Loremaster

Seems to be happening less often for me (havent been able to play in about 2 weeks)..  Instead of being fine 1 time out of 10, maybe its 2 in 10.. 

Still disappointed..  However, as much as I hate to still see the problem, seeing others with it, lets me know Im not crazy..

Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #30
BDoodle

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

sinking sands to timerous deep on carpet 20 seconds! 

(i did a return journey and the client crashed zoning - many people also still experiance this too)

There i jsut managed it - i was starting to expect i couldnt get it to reproduce.

The charcter is added - then breifly dispalys then flicks back to loading UI resources on the cut screen.

Hi Efour, did you get an error when the client crashed? If so, can you post it?

The reason I ask is that I think it may be related to the long load times.

One of the ways an application/function can handle errors is, when the processor returns an error to the application, the application tells the processor to sleep for a short period of time and then retries the function that caused the error. This can cause the application to pause, especially if the error is returned multiple times. This may explain the pause being experienced by people in this thread. But without seeing the code, (not likely to happen,) I don't know if this is definately the case.

If it is the case though, it provides a starting point from which we can try to work out what is causing the errors in the first place. Assuming this, or something similar is the case, the Devs will know if the errors are being caused at their end and will be working on fixing that. The best we can do then, is to eliminate all possibilities on our end and provide feedback of our findings that may help solve the problem for everyone.

This leads me to a first question: Has anyone else experience client crashes while zoning, and more specifically when loading UI Resources?

BDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote