EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
PhDSigleaf

Augur

I really loved EQ2 back in the day but when I tried to pick this game up again 6 months ago I was appaled by how poorly it runs on current gaming systems of the day.  Has this game been better optimized in the past 6 months and where did the shader techonology go that they were touting about for sooooo long?

PhDSigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

PhDSigleaf wrote:

I really loved EQ2 back in the day but when I tried to pick this game up again 6 months ago I was appaled by how poorly it runs on current gaming systems of the day.  Has this game been better optimized in the past 6 months and where did the shader techonology go that they were touting about for sooooo long?

It does not seem that SOE work on performance, unless problems cause the game to become unplayable. It is as if the goal is to simply make EQ2 limp along, not run well.Threads about performance often pop up, one was only a few months back, and we were told it is not viable for them to do a complete engine re-write of such an old game (which was stated to take approx 1 year), to make effective use of things like multicore CPUs and the functionality of graphics cards. With such, dreams of EQ2 getting any notable engine improvements died.Shader3.0 was scrapped. It was never completed, always had problems (glaring art issues), caused crash issues for some people. It would have been great if it was done properly, to completion. But alas, it never seemed to be more than a side project, that was always "harder than they expected".So in short, it is what it is. I suspect the focus of SOE code development is squarely focused upon PlanetSide2 and EverQuestNext. EQ2 is just old news. My mind tells me that, from a business standpoint, I can understand the reasons. But my heart tells me that I enjoy EQ2, and hate to see it neglected.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
salty21db

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

PhDSigleaf wrote:

It does not seem that SOE work on performance, unless problems cause the game to become unplayable. It is as if the goal is to simply make EQ2 limp along, not run well.Threads about performance often pop up, one was only a few months back, and we were told it is not viable for them to do a complete engine re-write of such an old game (which was stated to take approx 1 year), to make effective use of things like multicore CPUs and the functionality of graphics cards. With such, dreams of EQ2 getting any notable engine improvements died.Shader3.0 was scrapped. It was never completed, always had problems (glaring art issues), caused crash issues for some people. It would have been great if it was done properly, to completion. But alas, it never seemed to be more than a side project, that was always "harder than they expected".So in short, it is what it is. I suspect the focus of SOE code development is squarely focused upon PlanetSide2 and EverQuestNext. EQ2 is just old news. My mind tells me that, from a business standpoint, I can understand the reasons. But my heart tells me that I enjoy EQ2, and hate to see it neglected.

Entire core engine of the game was based off what Intel told them at production, which was that there would be massive single core processors in the future and no dual/quads.  The game will run great off a huge single core and run the worse on a quad and somewhat ok on a good dual.  The only "modifications" they tried to do was offload some on the gpu instead of all on the cpu.

Unless they built the engine from the ground up I don't think it will be changing .  Learn yourself some .

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Avirodar

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

PhDSigleaf wrote:

Entire core engine of the game was based off what Intel told them at production, which was that there would be massive single core processors in the future and no dual/quads.  The game will run great off a huge single core and run the worse on a quad and somewhat ok on a good dual.  The only "modifications" they tried to do was offload some on the gpu instead of all on the cpu.

Unless they built the engine from the ground up I don't think it will be changing Learn yourself some .

Alt+O -> Performance -> Enable Multicore SupportThis was not a feature when EQ2 was launched. Learn yourself some. SMILEY

Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Mohee

Lord

When enabling Multi-Core Support option, I myself, have never seen an impact or "boost" in performance on either a dual core, or quad core machine. Turning it off, I get the same average FPS regardless.

I'm a firm believer the option does nothing SMILEY

but who know's, i've only tested that out on like 5 different PC's. 

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Avirodar

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

When enabling Multi-Core Support option, I myself, have never seen an impact or "boost" in performance on either a dual core, or quad core machine. Turning it off, I get the same average FPS regardless.

I'm a firm believer the option does nothing

It does, but not a whole lot though. I have observed a slightly higher FPS, but the feature is not very compatible for people who dual-box (caused crash issues early on, SOE advised dual boxers to turn it off). However, a small performance boost is better than no performance boost for single-toon players.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
salty21db

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

It does do nothing, they've stated so.  It was put in when they were trying to rework it and just never taken out.  The only thing offloaded to the GPU is the animations atm.

I was coming at the other person so aggressive because it was a mistake from the start that would cost tons of money and time to fix.  From a business standpoint it would be silly to even attempt it in such an older game.  And you still might want to "learn yourself some" before addressing technical concerns and just throwing accussations around.

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
PhDSigleaf

Augur

I understand that this game was built in 2004 but I find it so hard to believe that even with the game being built around 1 CPU, how it cannot compete with dare I say other games built even prior to 2004 that in my opinion are more visually intensive.  Someone at SOE really dropped the ball here..  Ive been wanting to pick this game up and re-live some old memories but I just can't stand the jittery graphics and I have had several real life friends of mine in the same boat. 

If SOE just assumes that this game is in the back burner to what they are all doing then what does that say for the future of their games?  Does SOE not care that people love their product but simply cannot play it because its optimized on a machine that isn't even possible to find now adays????

Sure it's a huge undertaking but I bet you there have been numerous people who have tried EQ2 or the trial and have simply stopped playing it because the graphics are so jittery...

And for the record I am not one to care about graphics in a game HOWEVER I do feel that a game from 2004 should be able to play on settings that are representative of the person's gaming system.  I sure as hell never put everything on max in EQ2 or else I owuld get 5 FPS but if I even remotely put anything past medium on a quad core CPU with a graphics card that runs everything new from today on maximum and I get FPS in the 10-15 range in cities its horrendous....  I literally have nausea when I played this game because I feel like im playing a powerpoint sometimes.....

Just my 2 cents...

PhDSigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Avirodar

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

The only "modifications" they tried to do was offload some on the gpu instead of all on the cpu.

salty21db wrote:

Mohee wrote:

It does do nothing, they've stated so.  It was put in when they were trying to rework it and just never taken out.  The only thing offloaded to the GPU is the animations atm.

First you say they didn't try (while telling me to learn myself some).Then you say SOE did try, just never taken out the "failed option".Enough said. You can't even keep your story straight.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Regolas

Loremaster

I've tried both with and without the multicore settings on my 3ghz dual core. No difference on one client but I get noticeably smoother fps when running two (dual boxing) with it switched on. I still have to drop the settings down to extreme performance when boxing though, which considering my computer is no more than 3 years old and the game is 8, I think is really bad. My CPU and GPU, while old now, is still lightyears better than what was around in 2004 and I think should be able to handle two clients at once.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #11
Nightshade
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster

Avirodar and I have spoken quite a bit about this topic. I have to agree with him, unfortunately (I love disagreeing with him).

Real world terms:

* A 70's Corvette is a gorgeous car, for its genre -- but it's a gas guzzler.

* A 70's Corvette can be turned into an efficient hybrid vehicle -- but the process will cost a fortune.

New games like "Skyrim" have the benefit of modern knowledge and fresh code built from scratch for modern systems, not to mention the direct funding to support development.

EQ2 is well dated by now and is the product if a tremendous amount of jury-rigging, I have no doubt.

I have a feeling the dev repositores and discussions are a lot of "we'd like to, but we dont have the [manpower/funding/support]".

Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

What may be interesting is if they allow the option to play EQ2 on that Gaikai platform they recently bought. Gaikai, for those who aren't aware, is similar to OnLive. It allows a game to be played in the cloud. So you could take this game and play it on a netbook with all the settings at maximum because it's rendered remotely.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
Nightshade
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

What may be interesting is if they allow the option to play EQ2 on that Gaikai platform they recently bought. Gaikai, for those who aren't aware, is similar to OnLive. It allows a game to be played in the cloud. So you could take this game and play it on a netbook with all the settings at maximum because it's rendered remotely.

Nothing in the mystical, magical, amazing "cloud" is going to handle visual rendering remotely. The "cloud" is a fancy reference for a remote data server, which have existed for many years now. This website is supported by a remote data server and so is mine.

"Cloud" storage (which in ancient years yonder we just called a remote server), can store data and to some extent handle limited computational processing by proxy (extracting archives pre-download for example).

The CPU and GPU, at their core, act as proprietary interfaces to display data. They _have to_ physically pipe data through their own hardware and codebase before it ever reaches your eyes. Anyone who has worked with firmware knows exact what my simplified explanation means.

So no, unfortunately you can't fire up an IBM 360s and run Everquest 2 via a miracle "Cloud".

I don't mean to sound harsh to you. I'm just rather perturbed by the mythical, fantastic beast that "Cloud" storage has become lately. It's one of those most pure and obvious examples of tech companies running gimmick scams in the 21'st century. You can, literally, set up "Cloud" storage in your house in under one day. I'm afraid it won't do much for your netbook though, unless it's tight on harddrive space!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Nothing in the mystical, magical, amazing "cloud" is going to handle visual rendering remotely. The "cloud" is a fancy reference for a remote data server, which have existed for many years now. This website is supported by a remote data server and so is mine.

"Cloud" storage (which in ancient years yonder we just called a remote server), can store data and to some extent handle limited computational processing by proxy (extracting archives pre-download for example).

The CPU and GPU, at their core, act as proprietary interfaces to display data. They _have to_ physically pipe data through their own hardware and codebase before it ever reaches your eyes. Anyone who has worked with firmware knows exact what my simplified explanation means.

So no, unfortunately you can't fire up an IBM 360s and run Everquest 2 via a miracle "Cloud".

I don't mean to sound harsh to you. I'm just rather perturbed by the mythical, fantastic beast that "Cloud" storage has become lately. It's one of those most pure and obvious examples of tech companies running gimmick scams in the 21'st century. You can, literally, set up "Cloud" storage in your house in under one day. I'm afraid it won't do much for your netbook though, unless it's tight on harddrive space!

http://www.gaikai.com/faq#general_q57

This isn't cloud storage.  It's distributed computing gaming.  

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Merker

Lord

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Excerpt taken from the above link (Gakai FAQ)

"Do I need to buy a fast 3D computer, or any other special hardware?

Nope. All you need is a web browser running the latest version of Flash and Java. In fact, Gaikai makes it possible to play resource-intensive 3D games on devices never before possible, including laptops, netbooks, tablets ... even smartphones and other mobile devices.We run the games on our ultra high-end servers stuffed with the latest, greatest hardware, so the only requirement from your computer is that it can display full-screen video nice and fast."

This is just gaming by proxy. Your performance is certainly subject to your connection speed and server traffic as well as the hops in between. By design, EQ2 really doesn't transmit large loads of data between host and client, so data bottlenecks on broadband really are not an issue. You can run EQ2 fairly well on a 56K modem. However, with Gaikai you are subject to these bottlenecks due to the amount of data that actually must be sent back and forth especially since you are streaming data. At home I am on a 15mb download connection (screamingly faster that a T1 and more than 3x the speed of a T3 and still, many times, downloading HD video to my DVR takes awhile. Streaming video is ok but it's usually not HD however streaming HD video from my laptop wide open is still pretty jittery with pauses to buffer from time to time.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Nope. All you need is a web browser running the latest version of Flash and Java. In fact, Gaikai makes it possible to play resource-intensive 3D games on devices never before possible, including laptops, netbooks, tablets ... even smartphones and other mobile devices.We run the games on our ultra high-end servers stuffed with the latest, greatest hardware, so the only requirement from your computer is that it can display full-screen video nice and fast."

Again, that is not storage.  When we speak of "Cloud" storage it means storing files on a remote computer.  This is NOT file storage.  If you read it you would have noted that they do ALL rendering on THEIR computers.  Your computer is essential a terminal.  That's it.

No game is stored on your computer.  No game logic is processed on your computer.  No graphics are rendered by your video card.  It's simply video being shown on your video card and you using your mouse/keyboard to move around.  Your computer is a dumb terminal for a remote server cluster (distributed computing).

In case you don't understand distributed computing:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal

Now it's called Cloud Gaming:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

How about their direct competitor OnLive which offers the same service essentially?

PCMag says:

"OnLive works by remotely processing both the CPU and GPU power needed to handle the latest games, theoretically freeing PC gamers from the constant and costly upgrades needed to play those games."

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Merker

Lord

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Again, that is not storage.  When we speak of "Cloud" storage it means storing files on a remote computer.  This is NOT file storage.  If you read it you would have noted that they do ALL rendering on THEIR computers.  Your computer is essential a terminal.  That's it.

No game is stored on your computer.  No game logic is processed on your computer.  No graphics are rendered by your video card.  It's simply video being shown on your video card and you using your mouse/keyboard to move around.  Your computer is a dumb terminal for a remote server cluster (distributed computing).

In case you don't understand distributed computing:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal

How about their direct competitor OnLive which offers the same service essentially?

PCMag says:

"OnLive works by remotely processing both the CPU and GPU power needed to handle the latest games, theoretically freeing PC gamers from the constant and costly upgrades needed to play those games."

Your CPU and GPU has nothing to do with the amount of data that still needs to be transferred between client and host (well it does actually,  it still has to process it and draw it to your screen).

Unless they are downgrading the quality of video being sent to the client you still have a tremendous amount of video data being sent back to the client requesting that data. I was talking about the data transfer issue rather than hardware performance issues. You are only as fast as the host you are connected to (and those hops in between) and when you are transferring large amounts of data between host and client, you are going to be subject to certain bandwidth limitations and bottlenecks. Especially so when relying on a proxy server.

Ughh you amuse me with your links to info, but do you understand them yourself? I am a computer technician. Dumb terminals still have to have enough processing power to process that which is being sent to them, unless you got your monitor cable connected directly to the smart terminal, but of course that isn't the case with dumb terminals and certainly isn't the case with Gakai. YOUR computer still needs to process the incoming data stream. But that's far from what I was discussing.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

PCMag says:

Your CPU and GPU has nothing to do with the amount of data that still needs to be transferred between client and host (well it does actually,  it still has to process it and draw it to your screen).

Unless they are downgrading the quality of video being sent to the client you still have a tremendous amount of video data being sent back to the client requesting that data. I was talking about the data transfer issue rather than hardware performance issues. You are only as fast as the host you are connected to (and those hops in between) and when you are transferring large amounts of data between host and client, you are going to be subject to certain bandwidth limitations and bottlenecks. Especially so when relying on a proxy server.

Exactly.  Thanks for backing up my point I've been making.  My point has revolved around how one could, with cloud gaming, run this game on a netbook and could run even Crysis on one.  There is no question about that.  

If you haven't tried Gaikai or a crappy computer.. please do so so you can get a feel for how it works.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Merker

Lord

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

PCMag says:

Exactly.  Thanks for backing up my point I've been making.  My point has revolved around how one could, with cloud gaming, run this game on a netbook and could run even Crysis on one.  There is no question about that.  

If you haven't tried Gaikai or a crappy computer.. please do so so you can get a feel for how it works.

Try it on a Pentium 200MMX and let me know how it works out ;oP

Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

PCMag says:

Try it on a Pentium 200MMX and let me know how it works out ;oP

Not even the first Atoms were that slow.  Though I will say that the old P200 could still easily run Quake 2 long as you have a Voodoo2 or, if lucky, Voodoo3.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #21
Landiin

Loremaster

It is one thing to stream 1000 of feeds of HD video and another to render that video real time and then stream it out all while processing the game code. This games download the source flash,java whatever and it is then rendered in your browser.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
Avirodar

Loremaster

Good luck to what ever company thinks they can process + stream the inefficient EQ2 game engine, to the general population. Maybe if they lined up a dozen or so supercomputers, it would be feasible.Cloud gaming is not some mythical resource of unlimited power. It is a very real system with very real limitations. A game with sub-par memory management, including memory leaks, would cripple the profitability of companies like Gaikai.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
Thunndar316

Loremaster

I built a new PC with a Intel i5 2500K, 8 GB Ram, and a GForce GTX570 (2560 MB)

It runs every new game on max settings and gets 60FPS without SLI

Fired up EQ2, put on max settings, went to the guild hall and you would think I was running on a PC from 2004.

Massive framerate drop from something as little as a bunch of firepots.

Sleight of Hand is USELESS
Thunndar316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #24
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Thunndar316 wrote:

Fired up EQ2, put on max settings, went to the guild hall and you would think I was running on a PC from 2004.

There is a bug currently with some of the effects (shadow related).  They are aware of it from my understanding.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
Merker

Lord

Thunndar316 wrote:

For some reason, most directly related to Guild Halls, EQ2 will start hogging RAM and won't dump (essentially the amount of memory it is using increases and keeps piling up). I only have 4gb of RAM in my system but many times after playing the game for awhile it would crash with the dreaded OOM error, but only when zoning into the guild hall.

I eventually resolved the problem using the 3gb switch trick, that forces apps to share VM with the OS (3gb reserved for apps, hence the name ..3gb switch) .

However this is only effective if you have 4gb or less of physical RAM

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Merker wrote:

Thunndar316 wrote:

For some reason, most directly related to Guild Halls, EQ2 will start hogging RAM and won't dump (essentially the amount of memory it is using increases and keeps piling up). I only have 4gb of RAM in my system but many times after playing the game for awhile it would crash with the dreaded OOM error, but only when zoning into the guild hall.

I eventually resolved the problem using the 3gb switch trick, that forces apps to share VM with the OS (3gb reserved for apps, hence the name ..3gb switch) .

However this is only effective if you have 4gb or less of physical RAM

The switch and how to use it is outlined by me here:  http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=506883

Guild halls have always been an area where coding bugs creep up.  When DoV first hit, for example, there was an issue with mirrored surfaces causing players to crash out in certain tier guild halls.  Then came the shader one, and now, possibly, a shadow related one.  Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #27
Avirodar

Loremaster

Thunndar316 wrote:

Just imagine what kind of hardware you would need, to stream EQ2, to a few thousand people, simultaneously...The "mystical, all powerful cloud of infinite resources" actually has limitations, just like any PC does. EQ2 is a destroyer of resources/performance. The type of hardware Gaikai would require, to service the EQ2 community would be staggering.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
Avirodar

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

It is not new.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #29
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

It is not new.

The one for EQ2 is (I was the first to mention it on the forums a while back with a warning about HDD space usage).  I believe you are thinking of the Windows Error Reporting system which has been around for years but the reports aren't going to SOE because they aren't paying the annual fees for it.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
Banwar

Loremaster

Just in case nobody knew this. When they were making the game they wanted the graphics to improve as hardware improved. At the time, CPUs looked like they were going to grow by frequency, not cores. Unfortunately they were thrown that curveball and have had to suffer ever since. It's not like they can rewrite the whole game, it's just too late to fix.

Banwar is offline   Reply With Quote