EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Since we have new forums on the way we should make a list of the best posts to transfer over to the new forums.  Please try to post ones you like below so they can be saved! 

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Dexella

Community Relations

Just so everyone is aware, we don't have a date yet for when EQ2 will transition to the new forums. 

We will be leaving these forums up as read-only once the transition happens, so you will have time to transfer/save your favorite posts.  

~Dexella

Community Relations Manager
Dexella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
shadowscale

Forum Dragon

bleh... im going to lose my title arnt i?

shadowscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

I think Vanguard is being the guinea pig and getting them first.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

i hope they come sooner rather then later, these current forums are a steaming pile of crap. half the time i try to use them i get error messages.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

i hope they come sooner rather then later, these current forums are a steaming pile of crap. half the time i try to use them i get error messages.

If you head over to the Planetside 2 forums you can get a feel for how they work.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
Brigh

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

I think Vanguard is being the guinea pig and getting them first.

Planetside 2 had them first, and EQ has them already.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Vanguard was going to be next, but EQ got bumped to the front of the line so that all their discussions about their expansion beta would happen on the new forums.

By the way, EQ2Wire will be hosting a complete archive of the EQ2 forums.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

Really? Where was this announced, what's the timetable, what's the process, and when was the other 99.9% of the playerbase going to be informed?

I see nothing in Community nor Official News.

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Really? Where was this announced, what's the timetable, what's the process, and when was the other 99.9% of the playerbase going to be informed?

It was in the podcast. I admit I wasn't fully sober/awake listening to it.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

It was in the podcast. I admit I wasn't fully sober/awake listening to it.

Our post counts will reset I'm sure.  I worked hard for this number, just trying to stay unbanned.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Vanguard was going to be next, but EQ got bumped to the front of the line so that all their discussions about their expansion beta would happen on the new forums.

Great to know.  However, not many will know or remember to check there.  I know I'll be moving my technical sticky over with a couple of new ones related to overlays and possibly a new performance guide that should help.  I think it's a great chance to re-do all of the class specific guides too.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Really?

Yes.

Where was this announced

On the Vanguard and EQ forums. The EQ forums transitioned last night, Vanguard is up next.

what's the timetable

No timetable has been announced yet.

what's the process

One day you login and there are different forums. The old forums will be archived for at LEAST 2-3 months with a 30 days notice before they are taken offline.

when was the other 99.9% of the playerbase going to be informed?

When there is a date for the EQ2 forum transition.

deadcrickets2 wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

Great to know.  However, not many will know or remember to check there.

There are people who don't read EQ2Wire?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

You'd be surprised how many don't in the game.  But it's not really that.  They may be aware of the site but not know all the stuff linked on it.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

You'd be surprised how many don't in the game.  But it's not really that.  They may be aware of the site but not know all the stuff linked on it.

Since Skyshrine, eq2wire is theonly place i tell people to go.(Told a returning player just yesterday to go to eq2wire for SS stuff as it would be his best bet on finding useful stuff)  The population that update Zam and EQ2.wikia must have left game because specific quest information on those sites has evaporated.  While eq2wire gives accurate general information, it seems to be more helpful to newbs.  Wikia is still better for waypoints if the quest is documented and the zone(s) haven't been messed with, er I mean 'revamped'.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Vellandra

Loremaster

I would love for the 'Patches' thread to be found and archived somewhere nice - I remember literally crying with laughter reading it.

In summary:  Cat + pepper = bad.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

Since Skyshrine, eq2wire is theonly place i tell people to go.(Told a returning player just yesterday to go to eq2wire for SS stuff as it would be his best bet on finding useful stuff)  The population that update Zam and EQ2.wikia must have left game because specific quest information on those sites has evaporated.  While eq2wire gives accurate general information, it seems to be more helpful to newbs.  Wikia is still better for waypoints if the quest is documented and the zone(s) haven't been messed with, er I mean 'revamped'.

Good news today in reference to EQ2.wikia.com as it's now the official Wiki.  Plus, as you already know, anyone can update the site!

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Vellandra wrote:

I would love for the 'Patches' thread to be found and archived somewhere nice - I remember literally crying with laughter reading it.

In summary:  Cat + pepper = bad.

There used to be a great raid comics thread a long while back.  Haven't been able to find it but I would love to see it or something similar on the new forum!

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
feldon30

Fansite Staff

I would love to bring on a staff to cover Group and Raid zones and content on EQ2Wire. I've had a few people offer to help, but they didn't stick around very long once they saw my expectations for how articles are formatted and sources credited. I'd love to bring on some writers, if they're willing to go that little extra distance.

As for EQ2 ZAM, they have focused on what their staff are most familiar with -- live events and solo quests. They're in the same boat with me as far as not being able to attract a group/raider writer who will keep things updated.

With today's announcement throwing EQ2 Zam under a bus, I'm not sure where we're going to get accurate, timely information about EQ2 quests and NPCs. Not unless SOE is going to pay people to run quests/zones during Beta and take notes.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Honestly unless they are gonna pay someone to update the quests, wikia is dead.  Try and look up a WL quest, very few have any information.  (Granted I hven't been on it in a couple months )  Usually the quest info was up when the beta NDA was lifted.  Before AoD, I rarely found a quest without info on wiki, now its rare to find info on wiki about a new quest.

AND all the revamping has led to a lot of older quests having incorrect information.

Just another sign on the road.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
Calthine

ZAM EQII

feldon30 wrote:

As for EQ2 ZAM, they have focused on what their staff are most familiar with -- live events and solo quests. They're in the same boat with me as far as not being able to attract a group/raider writer who will keep things updated.

With today's announcement throwing EQ2 Zam under a bus, I'm not sure where we're going to get accurate, timely information about EQ2 quests and NPCs. Not unless SOE is going to pay people to run quests/zones during Beta and take notes.

LOL, We're still here, we're still playing and having fun and writing guides SMILEY When we partnered with SOE a few years ago Wikia didn't die; likewise this won't discourage us.  We're planning on working the expansion just like we always do.

Yes, Raid/Group guides are our weakness, but anyone is welcome to contribute.  Remember, ZAM is also a wiki and anyone who wants to do raid/group/anything guides just needs to pop over and click an "Edit" link!  ZAM Wiki is a custom markup, but if you know MediaWiki you'll get by okay.

We check all user edits so if you get burried in formatting, we'll clean it up, no worries.  If you need help deciding where a guide should go or gettng a page started, PM Cyliena or me on ZAM and we'll be happy to help.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Honestly unless they are gonna pay someone to update the quests, wikia is dead.  Try and look up a WL quest, very few have any information.  (Granted I hven't been on it in a couple months )  Usually the quest info was up when the beta NDA was lifted.  Before AoD, I rarely found a quest without info on wiki, now its rare to find info on wiki about a new quest.

AND all the revamping has led to a lot of older quests having incorrect information.

I think the reason that few have bothered updating for the latest zones is due to the much more gamer friendly quest markers even on the default map.  Players are easily able to see where they need to go.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
Dexella

Community Relations

There hasn't been an official announcement made for EverQuest 2. One main reason for this is that we do not have a timetable yet. Once we have a transition date in place, the announcement will be made in our Community news channels (these forums, the website, Facebook, Twitter).

Brasse answered some of the primary concerns on the Vanguard forums; here's a copy of her response from over there:

1. We will be archiving the old forums as read-only for a period of at least several months (several being more than two). This should allow everyone plenty of time to retreive what they want and need from the old forums. We are NOT going to keep them forever, but we'll provide 30 days notice before we do take them offline.

2. For those of you who want to copy the ENTIRE old forums content for perpetuity, feel free to do so. While we technically "own" the content, it is already publicly available and contains no private information. 

3. Forumites will need to register for the new forums. Sorry guys, there is no way around this as we cannot manually transfer your data. Yes, this means you will have to request your "handle" again; these forum names will necessarily be issued on a first-come, first-served basis, as we have no way for folks to reserve names in advance.

4. For the first two weeks, if someone "steals" your handle, and especially if this is done with the intent to impersonate you, contact [email protected]. Our Forum Admin will be able to look up old forum data and make a call on an individual basis on the request. There is only one Forum Admin, so please be patient with your requests if an issue does arise! 

Community Relations Manager
Dexella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
SteelPiston

Loremaster

Please, please, please, make the change sooner rather than later.

Half the time these forums won't even open and it doesn't seem to matter what pc or browser I'm using. I'm not surprised that not many people are posting here these days, as they probably can't even get in the site to post anything.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Juggercap

Elder

SteelPiston wrote:

Please, please, please, make the change sooner rather than later.

Half the time these forums won't even open and it doesn't seem to matter what pc or browser I'm using. I'm not surprised that not many people are posting here these days, as they probably can't even get in the site to post anything.

The only problems I have with the forums is the constant need to sign in (That is not a + to security. I hope that's fixed in the next version.) and the completely broken search function. I seriously can't believe how horribly search "works" here.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
Grumble69

Loremaster

I chuckled when I read the EQ2Wire story that these forums were SOE's homegrown creation.  In another browser tab, I was trying to pull up a post in these here forums.  Connecting.  10 more seconds go by.  Connecting.  A light bulb goes off.  "OOOOohhhh, the same guy that worked on the forums, programmed the game lag and disconnects when zoning!"  It all made sense then.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

Dexella wrote:

There hasn't been an official announcement made for EverQuest 2. One main reason for this is that we do not have a timetable yet. Once we have a transition date in place, the announcement will be made in our Community news channels (these forums, the website, Facebook, Twitter).

Brasse answered some of the primary concerns on the Vanguard forums; here's a copy of her response from over there:

1. We will be archiving the old forums as read-only for a period of at least several months (several being more than two). This should allow everyone plenty of time to retreive what they want and need from the old forums. We are NOT going to keep them forever, but we'll provide 30 days notice before we do take them offline.

2. For those of you who want to copy the ENTIRE old forums content for perpetuity, feel free to do so. While we technically "own" the content, it is already publicly available and contains no private information. 

3. Forumites will need to register for the new forums. Sorry guys, there is no way around this as we cannot manually transfer your data. Yes, this means you will have to request your "handle" again; these forum names will necessarily be issued on a first-come, first-served basis, as we have no way for folks to reserve names in advance.

4. For the first two weeks, if someone "steals" your handle, and especially if this is done with the intent to impersonate you, contact [email protected]. Our Forum Admin will be able to look up old forum data and make a call on an individual basis on the request. There is only one Forum Admin, so please be patient with your requests if an issue does arise! 

Thank you for admitting something which only a few people "in the know" already know. As this is going to be a game-wide change, it should have been announced globally over all SOE games, simultaneously via official channels...but with announcement customized from game-to-game to reflect what was to come, and a general, if not specific, outline of the process.

Putting things out through a podcast, or relying on a third-party site to inform the public, isn't the most effective way in my opinion to announce an item of this magnitude. I would suggest that something on the level of a 3-7 day MOTD should have been made in all games for people to check out their Official Forums for news about an upcoming forums revamp.

At the same time, forum posts in Official News announcing at the very least that the current forums were slated toundergo a transformation should have been made. For those games coming sooner, the aforementioned outline could have been relayed, and a general FAQ might have been a good touch as well. For those games coming later in the process, just the announcement that there was in fact a change coming, and a 'stay-tuned for more info as your game's transition date approaches' would have been fine.

Staggering things just activates the rumor mill, which is wildly inefficient, inconsistent, and incorrect.

As for the issue of handle-stealing, I would suggest it might be handled by having people login to forums as they do now, by using account/password. Their default posting handle would be the name of the oldest character on their account, with their server name afterwards. This would mitigate the he said/she said of who stole who's handle. Example: 'Wirewhisker of Antonia Bayle', vs. any other Wirewhiskers that might be lurking on other servers. It should not be too hard to integrate the same functionality as we have now via the control panel to change their forum handle to another character on their account.

My 2cp. Your mileage may vary.

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Thank you for admitting something which only a few people "in the know" already know. As this is going to be a game-wide change, it should have been announced globally over all SOE games, simultaneously via official channels...but with announcement customized from game-to-game to reflect what was to come, and a general, if not specific, outline of the process.

Putting things out through a podcast, or relying on a third-party site to inform the public, isn't the most effective way in my opinion to announce an item of this magnitude.

No offense, but I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Today, you can post threads and discuss game issues (if you can get the forums to load). After they roll out the new software, you'll still be able to post threads and discuss game issues. The forums will have a different look-and-feel, and there will be some differences in features, but it's the same basic thing -- a forum. Searching will actually work, Private Messages will be a lot easier to read, you'll be able to "Like" posts, and the performance of the software will be head-and-shoulders better than the current software.

The only real issue for me is the Archives. We have already received word that they will be preserved for a LEAST 2-3 months after the new forums go live. EQ2Wire will have a complete archive of the EQ2 forums well before that time is up, so the only thing being lost here is your Private Messages on these forums and anything posted in private forums (Guide forums will be the hardest hit SMILEY ).

I would suggest that something on the level of a 3-7 day MOTD should have been made in all games for people to check out their Official Forums for news about an upcoming forums revamp.

These forums are struggling to keep up with the traffic they're getting now and you want to send MORE people here to read an announcement? *chuckle*

Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #29
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Though it's not much, I do try to update content on the Wikia and Zam as I go along (if it isn't right with the changes).  Granted I can't do alot as I am fail with the code, but little things like updated /loc and steps are what I focus on.  Not so much reward info.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Regolas

Loremaster

Actually eq2 wikia for Withered Lands and Skyshrine questlines was initially started with the basic info by me. I have always used eq2 wikia and found it so useful in the past, and when no one started anything when skyshrine came out I took matters into my own hands. It's been modified by people since though. It's a thankless job keeping it updated, although granted I did choose to be anonymous.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote