EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #31
Arweena69

Loremaster
Arweena69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 105
Default

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Merker wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

http://www.gaikai.com/faq#general_q57

This isn't cloud storage.  It's distributed computing gaming.  

Excerpt taken from the above link (Gakai FAQ)

"Do I need to buy a fast 3D computer, or any other special hardware?

Nope. All you need is a web browser running the latest version of Flash and Java. In fact, Gaikai makes it possible to play resource-intensive 3D games on devices never before possible, including laptops, netbooks, tablets ... even smartphones and other mobile devices.We run the games on our ultra high-end servers stuffed with the latest, greatest hardware, so the only requirement from your computer is that it can display full-screen video nice and fast."

Again, that is not storage.  When we speak of "Cloud" storage it means storing files on a remote computer.  This is NOT file storage.  If you read it you would have noted that they do ALL rendering on THEIR computers.  Your computer is essential a terminal.  That's it.

No game is stored on your computer.  No game logic is processed on your computer.  No graphics are rendered by your video card.  It's simply video being shown on your video card and you using your mouse/keyboard to move around.  Your computer is a dumb terminal for a remote server cluster (distributed computing).

In case you don't understand distributed computing:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal

Now it's called Cloud Gaming:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

How about their direct competitor OnLive which offers the same service essentially?

PCMag says:

"OnLive works by remotely processing both the CPU and GPU power needed to handle the latest games, theoretically freeing PC gamers from the constant and costly upgrades needed to play those games."

Your CPU and GPU has nothing to do with the amount of data that still needs to be transferred between client and host (well it does actually,  it still has to process it and draw it to your screen).

Unless they are downgrading the quality of video being sent to the client you still have a tremendous amount of video data being sent back to the client requesting that data. I was talking about the data transfer issue rather than hardware performance issues. You are only as fast as the host you are connected to (and those hops in between) and when you are transferring large amounts of data between host and client, you are going to be subject to certain bandwidth limitations and bottlenecks. Especially so when relying on a proxy server.

Exactly.  Thanks for backing up my point I've been making.  My point has revolved around how one could, with cloud gaming, run this game on a netbook and could run even Crysis on one.  There is no question about that.  

If you haven't tried Gaikai or a crappy computer.. please do so so you can get a feel for how it works.

Try it on a Pentium 200MMX and let me know how it works out ;oP

Not even the first Atoms were that slow.  Though I will say that the old P200 could still easily run Quake 2 long as you have a Voodoo2 or, if lucky, Voodoo3.

Here's an idea for you to see how this system would really work.  Go and get TeamViewer, there's a free version of it.  Then load and run EQ2 on your primary computer.  Once that's done remote into your computer from another computer and play EQ2.  I can tell your from experience it will suck.  the amout of data being sent and rendered on the remote computer adds way to much latency for a game like this.  

Will Gaikai work exactly like this no, but it will be very close in how playable the game will be.

Arweena69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

It is not new.

The one for EQ2 is (I was the first to mention it on the forums a while back with a warning about HDD space usage).  I believe you are thinking of the Windows Error Reporting system which has been around for years but the reports aren't going to SOE because they aren't paying the annual fees for it.

If you're talking about the crash dumps that were going to "c:crash", which were huge data dumps, we're not talking about the same thing. The "c:crash" incident was purely a case of code that was not meant to go public (internal testing) being released by "accident". SOE was actually monitoring crash logs well before this (back up into 2011).The crash logging may have been occuring before 2011, but obviously the log files on my PC would not pre-date the installation of my O/S. As I would rather make a statement, than an assumption, I will make no claims of pre-2011 crash logging.Have a good look around on your computer, you may find some interesting contents in your "c:usersappdatalocal"  directory. Also check the "temp" folder under local. Look for SCE and Sony.So unless you consider something over a year old, to be "new", have fun with that one.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

It is not new.

The one for EQ2 is (I was the first to mention it on the forums a while back with a warning about HDD space usage).  I believe you are thinking of the Windows Error Reporting system which has been around for years but the reports aren't going to SOE because they aren't paying the annual fees for it.

If you're talking about the crash dumps that were going to "c:crash", which were huge data dumps, we're not talking about the same thing. The "c:crash" incident was purely a case of code that was not meant to go public (internal testing) being released by "accident". SOE was actually monitoring crash logs well before this (back up into 2011).The crash logging may have been occuring before 2011, but obviously the log files on my PC would not pre-date the installation of my O/S. As I would rather make a statement, than an assumption, I will make no claims of pre-2011 crash logging.Have a good look around on your computer, you may find some interesting contents in your "c:users\appdatalocal"  directory. Also check the "temp" folder under local. Look for SCE and Sony.So unless you consider something over a year old, to be "new", have fun with that one.

I'm well aware of files such as those and crash.txt.  However, those were not automatically uploaded.  The keyword I used in my post was "automatic".  Before the latest tool arrived I was advising people on the tech support forum (here and on EQ2X)to copy and post the content of the crash.txt file.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #34
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

It is not new.

The one for EQ2 is (I was the first to mention it on the forums a while back with a warning about HDD space usage).  I believe you are thinking of the Windows Error Reporting system which has been around for years but the reports aren't going to SOE because they aren't paying the annual fees for it.

If you're talking about the crash dumps that were going to "c:crash", which were huge data dumps, we're not talking about the same thing. The "c:crash" incident was purely a case of code that was not meant to go public (internal testing) being released by "accident". SOE was actually monitoring crash logs well before this (back up into 2011).The crash logging may have been occuring before 2011, but obviously the log files on my PC would not pre-date the installation of my O/S. As I would rather make a statement, than an assumption, I will make no claims of pre-2011 crash logging.Have a good look around on your computer, you may find some interesting contents in your "c:users\appdatalocal"  directory. Also check the "temp" folder under local. Look for SCE and Sony.So unless you consider something over a year old, to be "new", have fun with that one.

I'm well aware of files such as those and crash.txt.  However, those were not automatically uploaded.  The keyword I used in my post was "automatic".  Before the latest tool arrived I was advising people on the tech support forum (here and on EQ2X)to copy and post the content of the crash.txt file.

"RECAP" has been around since (at least) July last year. This included automatic file uploading. -  "View auto-generated client crash logs which are automatically uploaded to the server when your EQ2 client crashes."http://eq2wire.com/2012/08/14/recap...and-disk-space/http://eq2wire.com/2011/07/09/live-...mming-for-mmos/If you consider something that is closing in on being 1.5+ years old, as "new"? All power to you. Keep telling yourself that... The last thing I will call it, is new. Calling it "recent" would be within a margin of reason, but definitely not new.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #35
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

It is not new.

The one for EQ2 is (I was the first to mention it on the forums a while back with a warning about HDD space usage).  I believe you are thinking of the Windows Error Reporting system which has been around for years but the reports aren't going to SOE because they aren't paying the annual fees for it.

If you're talking about the crash dumps that were going to "c:crash", which were huge data dumps, we're not talking about the same thing. The "c:crash" incident was purely a case of code that was not meant to go public (internal testing) being released by "accident". SOE was actually monitoring crash logs well before this (back up into 2011).The crash logging may have been occuring before 2011, but obviously the log files on my PC would not pre-date the installation of my O/S. As I would rather make a statement, than an assumption, I will make no claims of pre-2011 crash logging.Have a good look around on your computer, you may find some interesting contents in your "c:users\appdatalocal"  directory. Also check the "temp" folder under local. Look for SCE and Sony.So unless you consider something over a year old, to be "new", have fun with that one.

I'm well aware of files such as those and crash.txt.  However, those were not automatically uploaded.  The keyword I used in my post was "automatic".  Before the latest tool arrived I was advising people on the tech support forum (here and on EQ2X)to copy and post the content of the crash.txt file.

"RECAP" has been around since (at least) July last year. This included automatic file uploading. -  "View auto-generated client crash logs which are automatically uploaded to the server when your EQ2 client crashes."http://eq2wire.com/2012/08/14/recap...and-disk-space/http://eq2wire.com/2011/07/09/live-...mming-for-mmos/If you consider something that is closing in on being 1.5+ years old, as "new"? All power to you. Keep telling yourself that... The last thing I will call it, is new. Calling it "recent" would be within a margin of reason, but definitely not new.

And you can look back into my posting history to see how far back I posted about it.  It's still new and you are switching back and forth in regards to what you are referencing.  Crash.txt has nothing to do with C:Crash.  Crash.txt was years for many years but never uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  It included information such as shader leaks.  The files in C:Crash are from Recap which are automatically uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  That clarify it enough for you?  I've handled both of your issues and the attempted moving of goalposts.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #36
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

I have a feeling the dev repositores and discussions are a lot of "we'd like to, but we dont have the [manpower/funding/support]".

Mostly but one additional reason is time.  Some of the optimizations to make the game more GPU friendly would require serious man hours to complete.  Upwords of six months to a year or possibly more of dedicated coding.  It might not be a good ROI.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #37
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

deadcrickets2 wrote:

And you can look back into my posting history to see how far back I posted about it.  It's still new and you are switching back and forth in regards to what you are referencing.  Crash.txt has nothing to do with C:Crash.  Crash.txt was years for many years but never uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  It included information such as shader leaks.  The files in C:Crash are from Recap which are automatically uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  That clarify it enough for you?  I've handled both of your issues and the attempted moving of goalposts.

Recap and its functionality (Recap allows SOE to view auto-generated client crash logs which are automatically uploaded to the server) was announced in the middle of last year. No matter what way you try to spin it, automatic crash reporting is not new. Sorry, but I do not need to look at your "posting history", to tell you something over a year old, is not new.If recap was announced yesterday, or last week, maybe even a stretch to last month, I would have actually agreed with you.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #38
deadcrickets2

Loremaster
deadcrickets2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Default

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

And you can look back into my posting history to see how far back I posted about it.  It's still new and you are switching back and forth in regards to what you are referencing.  Crash.txt has nothing to do with C:Crash.  Crash.txt was years for many years but never uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  It included information such as shader leaks.  The files in C:Crash are from Recap which are automatically uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  That clarify it enough for you?  I've handled both of your issues and the attempted moving of goalposts.

Recap and its functionality (Recap allows SOE to view auto-generated client crash logs which are automatically uploaded to the server) was announced in the middle of last year. No matter what way you try to spin it, automatic crash reporting is not new. Sorry, but I do not need to look at your "posting history", to tell you something over a year old, is not new.If recap was announced yesterday, or last week, maybe even a stretch to last month, I would have actually agreed with you.

Didn't refute anything I stated priorly.  Arguing for semantics and not constructively adding to the thread.

__________________
Find me on Steam, Skype and Raptr: tigerglebe

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #39
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

And you can look back into my posting history to see how far back I posted about it.  It's still new and you are switching back and forth in regards to what you are referencing.  Crash.txt has nothing to do with C:Crash.  Crash.txt was years for many years but never uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  It included information such as shader leaks.  The files in C:Crash are from Recap which are automatically uploaded (as I priorly mentioned).  That clarify it enough for you?  I've handled both of your issues and the attempted moving of goalposts.

Recap and its functionality (Recap allows SOE to view auto-generated client crash logs which are automatically uploaded to the server) was announced in the middle of last year. No matter what way you try to spin it, automatic crash reporting is not new. Sorry, but I do not need to look at your "posting history", to tell you something over a year old, is not new.If recap was announced yesterday, or last week, maybe even a stretch to last month, I would have actually agreed with you.

Didn't refute anything I stated priorly.  Arguing for semantics and not constructively adding to the thread.

You claimed that EQ2's automatic crash reporting is new. I said "It is not new".  (read quote below)You tried telling me I am wrong. (read quote below)I provided statements and links to support my claims. I disagreed with what you said, and was able to provide justification for such. Something over a year old, is not new.

deadcrickets2 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Thankfully the new automatic crash reporter will help them track down and fix these bugs fasters (hopefully).

It is not new.

The one for EQ2 is (I was the first to mention it on the forums a while back with a warning about HDD space usage).  I believe you are thinking of the Windows Error Reporting system which has been around for years but the reports aren't going to SOE because they aren't paying the annual fees for it.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.