EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Zones and Population
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
SuperTim

At least on Permafrost today.  We engaged about 15 different large blanketfish, and every encounter was broken immediately.  Please fix.
SuperTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Magu

The problem is they are really groups of 2, but they are miles away from each other. They need to unlink the fish, pronto.
Magu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
Atrocity

Loremaster

I noticed this also and submitted a bug.  What I found was that some of the larget blanketfish get bugged and break as soon as you try to engage the encounter.  I managed to kill 1 once, but in general they just regen all their health and can't be killed.  This also prevents them from spawning the unbugged versions.  The only solution I found was to kill other regular blanketfish and waiit for some more large ones to spawn.  This is tedious and time consuming and it's difficult to keep the bugged fish separated from the unbugged ones without just trying them again since they roam.  Once I finally completed the quest I just decided to delete future quests with large blanketfish.  Definitely a messed up pita mob. Vlademir DeLere Lucan D'Lere
Atrocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Svartmane

Developer

I'll get this fixed, pronto.
Svartmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
KBern

Loremaster

If you are killing blanketfish for the monk quests, just delete and re-hail the quest giver until you get one w/o any fish on it.

If not, then lets hope they fix it soon, but I agree, fighting in that water is horrible at best.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 AM   #6
tentim

General

Svartmane wrote:
I'll get this fixed, pronto.

This comment is very illuminating. Players are constantly palmed off by ingame GMs and told they have to /bug something to get it fixed. Players also have forum posts locked and are told their only recourse is to /bug the issue.

This is a case where people having being using /bug, and the reports have either not been read at all or the system of disseminating them is totally ineffective (hence this problem existing so long). The developer in question only learnt about this issue through the forum, not /bug. I bugged it, I'm sure many other people have too.

Sorry to be so cynical, but after spending months bugging various things that are obviously broke and having the reports binned or ignored, we now have proof provided by the developers themselves that /bug really is a big trash can.

On a side note, all my bug reports now have a paragraph in the middle with the phrase "....and then the goat exploded. If you have actually read this then I challenge you to prove that you do actually read /bug reports by sending me a short email acknowledging receipt of this report". Never answered.

But thanks for replying Svarte - hats off to you for acknowleding the problem and helpfully communicating that you are looking into it! (And I didn't mean the negative stuff personally - it seems to more a corporate thing)

Message Edited by tentimes on 12-07-2005 02:14 PM

Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #7
Aelore

/bug and /feedback always have been, and probably always will be, completely worthless.  It was the case with EQ1, and now it's the case with EQ2.  The only place to get a response is to post here on the boards and hope that someone sees it in passing. I've never understood why they can't make the in-game feedback system work properly; however, being here on the boards since beta there have been SOOOOOO many times where a dev posted on here that they didn't know something was happening, and that they'd fix it right away (and then 20 people post "I've /bugged that at least 5 times in the past couple months!")
Woodworker, 69
Aelore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #8
Tibbwini

Loremaster

This sounds similar to the situation that was going on in the Enchanted Lands with Large Valetail Trout. It had been /bugged several times by lots of people but eventually it was attention on here that got it fixed. The fix came in two parts:1. Move some of the fish to deeper water elsewhere 2. Stop them breaking the encounter when you attack them
1 was a good temporary workaround, but 2 is the interesting one, as it looks as though they've added a buffer of about a foot to all the fish in EL so they can get a little closer to the surface and not break the encounter. The plus side of this is that the fish are now killable.However since the patch, I've noticed fish in the EL now take shortcuts across the land - presumably as the buffer zone makes them think they're still underwater. What's worse however is it's now possible to exploit the EL fish to make them fight ON LAND under certain easily reproducible conditions. I've /bugged this as well as there are a few sea-dwelling nameds used in quests that would be trivially easy if you can fight them on land. I have screenshots of my testing this on live - fighting a Muckfin I managed to pull all the way to the TS bell! I won't say how to do it because it's an exploit but if any dev wants to read my /bug or I can PM them the method if you want it.So yeah, whatever the "fix" is for this, please bear in mind that the fix used in EL hasn't actually properly fixed the issue - something clearly is still going wrong with the "fish above water" code.
Tibbwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
Loral

General

By the words of the Community Summit attending Devs, /bug and /feedback gets reported directly, and also have a weekly digest version that gets reported. Yes, each and every one of your /bug gets sent to the developpers 2 times.

That they don't answer your email request is easily understandable. They don't need to give you any proof at all. I doubt Celine Dion (or insert any other huge celebrity name here) would take the time to respond personnally to each request she must receive.

About bugs like this not getting repaired as soon as /bug'ed, well, there are spots/mobs in the game that have been bugged since early Beta days. Everything must probably get a priority number, and some things get continually pushed down due to their low number. Encounters like this one, where the mobs are needed for a quest, is certainly higher in the list that the same encounter that is not needed for any quest, for example.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #10
Aelore

By the words of the Community Summit attending Devs, /bug and /feedback gets reported directly, and also have a weekly digest version that gets reported. Yes, each and every one of your /bug gets sent to the developpers 2 times. I wasn't saying that nothing happened, what I'm saying is that the system doesn't work.   I wish I would have kept a few examples; however, if you stay around long enough you'll come across a bug that's reported on the boards, a dev will post saying something like "wow, I didn't know that was a problem ..I'll fix it right away", and then see 20 more people post afterwards that they've /bugged it multiple times. My point is that /bug and /feedback are worthless and broken as they are currently implimented.   No one wants a personal response, people just want bugs fixed.   Seriously, if you had to choose would you rather have a dev spending their day fixing a bug, or adding new content?   Personally, I'd rather ALL the bugs be fixed before ANYTHING new is created.  However, if they insist upon creating new content while things are still broken, there should be at least one CODER (not designer..an actual CODER) that does nothing every day but go through the code and fix bugs.   I would like to think that occurs already; however, if there was someone that did that job 8 hours a day, I really think our patch notes would look a little different. Of course, I've always found the notion of designers that aren't coders to be odd; however, it seems to be the way it is nowadays.
Woodworker, 69
Aelore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:57 AM   #11
Vicio

I'm not too worried about fish take a few shortcuts or sea dwelling names being fought on land. It wasn't that long ago when sharks would chase you across the zone if you aggro'd them.
Vicio is offline   Reply With Quote