EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Items and Equipment
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Wildmage

Loremaster

I've been hearing this for over a year now first during EoF from the raiders screaming mitigation is useless now their screaming it about RoK... can anyone actually back this up with facts or is it just a perception thing or raider mindset bias?
Wildmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Meirril

Loremaster

Well, I remember back in KoS getting hit by certain mobs in HoF and loosing over half my mittigation to a debuff. That is the main reason people said you needed 2 healers for HoF. One to keep the tank alive while the other cures the debuff. If you only had one, by the time he cured the debuff the tank is dead. Loosing over 3k mittigation means more or less death at the hands of ^^^ mobs near your level.

So if this trend continues in RoK...I could see their point. Really though, this is talking about KoS. I didn't experience this in EoF or RoK.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
Wildmage

Loremaster

Meirril wrote:

Well, I remember back in KoS getting hit by certain mobs in HoF and loosing over half my mittigation to a debuff. That is the main reason people said you needed 2 healers for HoF. One to keep the tank alive while the other cures the debuff. If you only had one, by the time he cured the debuff the tank is dead. Loosing over 3k mittigation means more or less death at the hands of ^^^ mobs near your level.

So if this trend continues in RoK...I could see their point. Really though, this is talking about KoS. I didn't experience this in EoF or RoK.

that seems to me to be more of an argument that mitigation does matter.  Ehh I've always felt the healthiest group set up is 1 tank 2 healers 3 DPS preferrable a mix of scout and mages.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Rolande'

Loremaster

I think the reason for this is because of the diminishing curve on mitigation. You can easily get into diminishing returns in a group with a healer buffing your mitigation, so most will go for more avoidance. Useless, is a bit harsh, but if you look at the high end raid tanks, they have all the % parry and %riposte adornments, not the +77 mit adornments..
Rolande' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
dancemice

Loremaster

the damage i take for having 5k mitigation (about 54% absorbption) is nelgible compared to the damage i take in 3500 mitigation (about 40%) I'm still getting hit, very, very hard.

Mitigation becomes pointless after 4k because the scaling is so low. (50%) for every 100 points after that your lucky to see a .1% increase in mitigation.  - This is painful, because a lot of the fabled raid pieces have  over 600+ mitigation on them (7*600 = 4200 minimum fabled mitigation) So raid upgrades become largely a matter of oooh! that one gives me just a few more hps, and  a neat clicky effect. Other wise the piece won't be used

(Though. Speaking from a non raiders point of view, some of those pieces look sweet) But mostly end up as vendor loot or transmutation junk for most raiders.

Hope that helps

-B-

Dogs have Owners - Cats have Staff.

dancemice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
EvilIguana9

General

Mit isn't useless, but the diminishing returns curve makes it less valuable at high scores.  The problem is that the higher you get, the more costly it is to raise and the less protection it provides, making other survivability stats such as health or non-diminishing types of avoidance much more desirable.
EvilIguana9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Wildmage

Loremaster

sounds like the mitigation curve needs tweaking then.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
EvilIguana9

General

Wildmage wrote:
sounds like the mitigation curve needs tweaking then.
The mitigation curve, imo, was a poor idea.  It was put in in order to fix problems created by poor itemization.  So long as gear is designed with reasonable stats, and so long as powerful gear is harder to get, you don't need a curve to ensure that each increment of improvement is harder to achieve than the last. 
EvilIguana9 is offline   Reply With Quote