EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
Malvin
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Felwithe Freedom Fighters

Loremaster

I quit over a year ago.. you have to see the writing on the wall.  Sony/Smoke Jumper has wanted to go F2P for 2 years now and he used the subscriber base to fund that development.  I didn't feel that was ethical of him and left the game back then, now you are seeing full effect of it.  You paid and allowed Sony to do this to EQ2, so I guess that makes it the players fault.  

The game you enjoyed 2 years ago died, get use to it.  EQ2 is now a shadow of its former self which is a tragedy.  There is no reason why it couldn't have maintained its player base and continue to be the top high fantasy MMORPG on the market.  That's all in the past now though, it's time to find something new.

Malvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #32
Arianah

Loremaster

shots01 wrote:

Lack of content?  There is more than enough for me to do.  There is so much I have never even seen and I have been playing this game for over 6 years.

I used to say the same thing to everyone who said there wasn't anything to do anymore, I mean there are so many different things to do in this game.

I haven't been playing since launch, since I was still entangled in EQ1 up until Secrets of Faydwer, which is when we made the switch to EQ2. I enjoy pretty much almost every aspect of this game, when I ran out of things to do in DoV I started going back and hitting up all the stuff I missed when I was leveling up.

I have two characters that I enjoy playing, my main (Swash) and my alt (Fury). Both are 90 adventurers, 90 crafters with 320 aa's. I've even leveled up a 90/90/320 Necromancer that I don't enjoy playing anymore, and have leveled up roughly half of my husbands crafters. Along the lines I've also leveled up a 90 Troub(plus tradeskill) and a 90 Ranger which I no longer have.

All of my skills on my two toons are at 450 (except transmuting which I'm not interested in).

I've decorated both my toons houses, the guild hall and recently built my own dungeon.

I've run all the dungeons, and a few player dungeons, collected all the shinies that are still in game, I've done just about all the quests that are available to me - I've even farmed for quests that are initiated by drops off of mobs. All I have left now are seasonal event quests, the next quest in the line of The Fallen Swords (Endgame, which is listed on Questlist but I can't find), and 1 quest in Icy Keep: Retribution which I'll finish in day or two from now. The rest are drop initiated that I can't confirm that they even still drop in the game or not.

There are only 3 more pieces of loot I want from heroic instances.

I've also worked my way through the achievements window getting all the achievements that I can/am interested in, just missing a few raid zones and the two DoV HM heroic instances - some of which I probably am not able to achieve yet because of difficulty.

I've ran around collecting all the mercenaries (except the rare ones which I have had no luck finding up in their reported locations).

I tried the Beastlord, didn't enjoy it. (I've also tried pretty much almost all the other classes, and am happy with the two I have).

I am also working on my Tradeskill Apprentice recipes. (I've also got all of the recipes for both my crafters, excluding the TSA recipes I've yet to complete).

The past month or two I've nearly run out of things to do, the only things I have left to do (mentioned above) require at least a group to help with, and it's been hard getting that done because other people have stopped logging in as much as they used to because there's nothing left for them to do either - players who like to do it all are few compared to the ones that enjoy specific areas of the game more than others.

So I've found myself sitting in the guild hall with nothing to do, waiting for enough people to log in to hopefully get some more stuff done...

YOU might still have stuff to do, we both pretty much share the same playstyle, but I've accomplished nearly everything there is to accomplish and I'm out of stuff to do - so please stop being so condescending to the other players who have run out of things they desire to do in this game at this time. It's not lies, it's not doom and gloom, it's fact. The delivery isn't always the greatest, but that doesn't make it not true for some people.

Arianah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #33
thesiren

Loremaster

Aion is launching its large 3.0 patch (which adds player housing, a new ground mount system, an increased level cap of 60, two new zones, new dungeons, and a permanent reduction in leveling time) as well as going "Truly F2P" in NA like Lineage 2 did, with no "items of power" in the cash shop, and it's all happening "this spring."  They just capped off a free two-week reactivation with double XP and other events, they have unlimited free trials til level 40 going straight through til the 3.0/F2P launch, and all their online pay-for account services have been halted from today forward in preparation for the big changes to drop.

Tera's had multiple closed beta key giveaways for weekends going, their open beta starts in mid April, and they're not wiping OB toons for launch.

Guild Wars 2 is taking preorders April 10th, which guarantee access to every beta.

Diablo III is heavily rumored to be launching on April 17th.

People have other places they can be and they're there, or they're gearing up to be there shortly, instead.  So am I.  (And then there are Skyrim, Reckoning, Mass Effect 3, etc. they can play meantime on top of it all.)  It's really a shame, because I do love this game, but sadly it really has turned into a train wreck of unfinished, buggy content couple with broken promises and crushed hopes and dreams over the years. 

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
Deago

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

Aion is launching its large 3.0 patch (which adds player housing, a new ground mount system, an increased level cap of 60, two new zones, new dungeons, and a permanent reduction in leveling time) as well as going "Truly F2P" in NA like their Lineage 2 did, with no "items of power" in the cash shop, and it's all happening "this spring."  They just capped off a free two-week reactivation with double XP and other events, they have unlimited free trials til level 40 going straight through til the 3.0/F2P launch, and all their online pay-for account services have been halted from today forward in preparation for the big changes to drop.

Tera's had multiple closed beta key giveaways for weekends going, their open beta starts in mid April, and they're not wiping OB toons for launch.

Guild Wars 2 is taking preorders April 10th, which guarantee access to every beta.

People have other places they can be and they're there, or gearing up to be there shortly, instead.  So am I.  It's really a shame, because I do love this game, but sadly it really has turned into a train wreck of unfinished, buggy content couple with broken promises and crushed hopes and dreams over the years. 

I used to bot aion.  Just because everybody else did lol.  I got tired and joined in the fun.  Then quit lol.  Do they still have bots everywhere in the open?  I would go back and play some if they buckled down on bots.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
thesiren

Loremaster

I don't see a lot of bots there these days, no, to be honest.  And they claim they will have major bot/gold farmer/spammer suppresion tactics firmly in place for the impending 3.0/F2P launch.

Mostly what I see is a complete madhouse of players running around in every zone, all the time.  It's like....Freeport used to be in this game.    You can barely even see the trade broker shugos through the crowds in town.

And the lowbie PvP zones have some sort of buffed shielding up so that high level gankers can't come through rifts and kill the lowbies.  The higher level zones (Baluslan, Heron, 30+ zones) don't always seem to, but Eltnen and Morheim (level 17-30) always seem to have those protective shielding buffs up for their home teams. Of course the Abyss is just open PvP from 25-55, period, and I personally don't mind that as the rewards and drops are so good even for just grinding the Balaur there, but you could always avoid that until end-game if you didn't like it.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
Deago

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

I don't see a lot of bots there these days, no, to be honest.  And they claim they will have major bot/gold farmer/spammer suppresion tactics firmly in place for the impending 3.0/F2P launch.

Mostly what I see is a complete madhouse of players running around in every zone, all the time.  It's like....Freeport used to be in this game.    You can barely even see the trade broker shugos through the crowds in town.

And the lowbie PvP zones have some sort of buffed shielding up so that high level gankers can't come through rifts and kill the lowbies.  The higher level zones (Baluslan, Heron, 30+ zones) don't always seem to, but Eltnen and Morheim (level 17-30) always do have those protective shielding buffs up for the home teams.  And of course the Abyss is just open PvP from 25-55, period, but you could always avoid that until end-game if you didn't like it.

I might give it a try.  I am glad they reduced the exp needed..the grind was kinda magoo.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #37
thesiren

Loremaster

They have started giving out way more XP and kinah for questing (as opposed to just grinding), but another major revamp to the leveling curve is due to hit with 3.0; this was just announced by NCsoft yesterday officially I think.  Check their forums.  Great game though; glad I went  back.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
Raffir

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

Aion is launching its large 3.0 patch (which adds player housing, a new ground mount system, an increased level cap of 60, two new zones, new dungeons, and a permanent reduction in leveling time) as well as going "Truly F2P" in NA like Lineage 2 did, with no "items of power" in the cash shop, and it's all happening "this spring."  They just capped off a free two-week reactivation with double XP and other events, they have unlimited free trials til level 40 going straight through til the 3.0/F2P launch, and all their online pay-for account services have been halted from today forward in preparation for the big changes to drop.

People have other places they can be and they're there, or they're gearing up to be there shortly, instead.  So am I.  (And then there are Skyrim, Reckoning, Mass Effect 3, etc. they can play meantime on top of it all.)  It's really a shame, because I do love this game, but sadly it really has turned into a train wreck of unfinished, buggy content couple with broken promises and crushed hopes and dreams over the years. 

Been beta testing Tera every other weekend.  Interesting game.  But not nearly as good as EQ2.  Actually, I've yet to find a game that I like better than this one.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
Zorastiz
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

I'm still here for two reasons, two of the best friends I've ever had if not for them I'd be gone.

SOE has ruined this game, it is not what it once was, it is not as fun as it used to be, it has never been the replacement / upgrade for EQ1 that it was supposed to be.

It has never lived up to the hype it's SC or nothing at this point, this will be my last MMO, they are all heading down this path and nothing has ever been as much fun as EQ1 back in the day and nothing ever will be, I have ZERO faith left in this industry.

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #40
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I'm still here for two reasons, two of the best friends I've ever had if not for them I'd be gone.

SOE has ruined this game, it is not what it once was, it is not as fun as it used to be, it has never been the replacement / upgrade for EQ1 that it was supposed to be.

It has never lived up to the hype it's SC or nothing at this point, this will be my last MMO, they are all heading down this path and nothing has ever been as much fun as EQ1 back in the day and nothing ever will be, I have ZERO faith left in this industry.

My last hope will be Copernicus. I hope beyond hope that they can balance that game so all aspects are enjoyable.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #41
Katine
Server: Oasis

Loremaster

To those who are posting that they are bored with the game, or disgruntled over the lack of new content, nothing to do, etc., I have a simple question for you....

How long have you been playing the game, in terms of years, days per week, and hours per day (NOT including breaks more than a month or so)?

I think the main issue here is NOT lack of content, or new content and things to do.  I think the main problem is that many players have been playing this game non-stop and simply "WON" - reached the end.  The game is seven years old - that's longer than most relationships and marriages today!  

If you've been playing the game on average 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 5 years without ANY breaks, that's over 5,000 hours invested in EQ2.  I could easily see how a player could accomplish and do EVERYTHING in game during that time.  

Television series usually only run for 5-7 years, except for the really really good ones and even they eventually end for lack of content.  WoW, which was once hailed as "EQ KILLER" is facing similar issues with players growing bored and content lacking seven years later.

I started in EQ2 the day the servers opened.  Since that time, I took several breaks from one month to my most recent break, nearly 3 years.  I've been back since December and the list of things I want to do would take me years before I ever felt bored about the game like many of the responses here. 

Why?  Because the hours I have invested in the game so far are probably 1/8th of what most of the players have invested. I see players all the time with 9 level 90 adventurers and tradeskillers.  I look at myself, still 86, one alt that's in her 60's, three level 90 tradeskillers (one of whom was 80 before I took a multi-year break) and think I'm a "newbie" compared to half of the playerbase.

Simply put, I think most of the players responding here have invested far more time in the game over the past 7 years than SOE ever expected players to and development can't keep up with the demand for new content  

Please know that I'm NOT trying to sound condesending.  What I'm trying to do is provide another perspective on the current situation.  I'm pretty sure that if I did NOT take the breaks I did, I would have a different tune to sing, probably more along the lines of the posters above me.

Some players said "the game is not as fun as it used to be".  I can see that perspective, though I'm just the opposite.  I'm having MORE fun in EQ2 than I EVER had.  Then again, my play time is so limited (to 8-10 hours a week, IF I'm lucky) that to me, EQ2 is a major treat for me when I DO get to log in.  

My serious (non-condesending or trolling) question to all of you is WHY do you still log in if the game is no longer fun or if you find it boring?  Why not take up a different hobby, pursue another interest, and move on.  Why do you feel compelled to log in knowing in advance that there's nothing to do?  Your toons will still be here when you return.  You can still keep in touch with your friends outside of game, check the forums here once in a while to see what changed, long in your toon once in a while instead of every day, and perhaps after a break of some time, when you come back, you WILL find new things to do and the game WILL have that sense of excitement that it had many years ago.

Singing Kitty of the Oasis Server

Troubador, Home Decorator, and Tradeskiller
Katine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #42
RadarX

Community Relations

This has honestly gone fairly off topic so we'll go ahead and close it up.  We certainly appreciate the feedback.

RadarX is offline   Reply With Quote