EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena > Monk
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2005, 07:48 AM   #1
Gaige

Loremaster

With this recent patch and the cries of soloing being nerfed and deflection not working I thought I'd try my hand at a couple green^^ mobs and see what would happen.  Mine just happened to be named SMILEY

Here we go:

Here is the mob I picked, the Brood Mother a lvl 44 named in EF (who has 6 double arrow down adds) the other green^^ showed up right after I took this pic (he was an add).

As you can see in this parse log:

The named group mob hit me one time, for 770.  The other grouped mob hit me one time for 87 damage also.

This was with control breathing app4, spider stance app3; I have 150 unbuffed agility.

So those who are saying deflection is broke, group mobs are harder, etc... I'm sorry but I don't see it.

Oh yeah this happened too:

We killed Ice Berg and Tundra Jack for about the 10th time.  Although this time my group was: me @ 49, 50 coercer, 50 warlock, 50 warden and 50 illusionist.  So we weren't exactly team DPS.  Plus my agility with buffs was only 222ish. 

I dunno how plates do against Ice Berg and Jack, but I did so-so:

He still missed a lot, but they hit a lot harder.  Still with one healer and hardly any DPS we dropped them both fine, and everyone still had mana after the fight.

These are the kinds of fights that I continue to base my arguements on.

Ice Berg isn't as tough as the stuff in Lava Storm (doing a raid in there tonight :smileysurprised: ) but he isn't easy, and as our rag tag group proves (we were just headed for the named gobbie for eye patch) monks are very formidable main tanks.

<3

Message Edited by Gage-Mikel on 01-09-2005 06:50 PM

Old 01-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
jdgrif

I dont feel we were nerfed anymore.  It was only a slight difference at best.  Tonight I tanked Bloodtalen in thundering steppes at lvl 27 with a lvl 27 warden healer and a lvl 27 necro.  Conned ^^White.
jdgrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Gaige

Loremaster

I don't feel like we ever have been nerfed.  Monk is a great class.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
jdgrif

Gage those weapons look tough!
jdgrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Tully

Ya I tank everything unless I get another tank higher level than me.  I had an enchanter this week not come to my EL group cause he said monks aren't tanks. Then I tanked a few white/yellow ++ beetles and a few yellow/orange bears ++.  Oh ya and the orange ++ ferocious lashers. Later that day I walked into RE @ 31 and tanked rooms of yellow/orange mobs no problem.  If your a monk and can't tank, its not the class.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Surferflam

I find it someone dependent on the mob type as to whether or not I can solo a green ^^. I don't feel nerfed at all, but I do not see an improvement in deflection as one might assume would come with the "built-in shield."I was about to solo the mino's just inside RE when they were green^^ without being hit once, yet the badgers in EL which are the same level, kicked my [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot].
Surferflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Toej

I have to agree I have found my ability to tank quite good.

I'm not a high level monk by any means currently only 22. I find my ability is dependent on what I'm attacking though, yesterday I went from
lv21 to lvl22 solo in blackburrow fighting the larger spiders which at the time conned between green^^ and blue^^ group. I honestly never felt
once that I was in danger of dying most of the time I had 90% or more of my health left (no power though). I've found that Hulkingstalkers
did the same if not more damage to me in a fight, although they did die quicker.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Auhal

Loremaster

Great pics Gage, if that isn't proof I don't know what is. When do weapons like that become available, is it only a high level thing?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
Gaige

Loremaster

Auhal wrote:
Great pics Gage, if that isn't proof I don't know what is. When do weapons like that become available, is it only a high level thing?

Those are cestii of the master, although a weaponsmith can make stat'd cestii all the way up the levels.  The first dropped cestii I found were feysteel in RoV, and then these.

There are also Ebon Cestii, between the feysteel and master, but dunno where they drop.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Cora

Guardians say:PHOTOSHOPPED! LIES!

Message Edited by Coraz2 on 01-09-2005 11:21 PM

Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #11
Nask

Great post Gage.

I don't know what the problem is.  Perhaps it's still lingering EQ1 mentality, or other monks that don't know how to play their class.  I was level 27 forming a group in Varsoons with a mystic as a healer.  I wanted to tank, and knew the healer so I went for all dps after that.  The assassin that joined was wondering if we were getting another healer to heal me, since he didn't expect that I'd be able to.   We ended up taking clay guardians, which conned 30-31++.  I had no problem whatsoever tanking these, each fight taking far less than half the mana of the mystic.  Even when another guardian would add, a taunt on it would draw it to me, and I was tanking 2 groups that were 3 levels higher than me perfectly fine, with one healer!   I've heard many complaints about monks not being able to tank on the boards in the 25-35 range... but the assassin in my group was in awe of my tanking abilities.  If you're a monk and you're complaining about your tanking ability, either:  a) upgrade your combat arts/armor or b) learn to play your class
Lucan D'Lere Server
Nask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #12
GangsterFi

I have not personally tanked TJ yet. However, I have killed him about 5 or 6 times. He drops crap loot, and rare medium legs i think. Everytime I kill him, my guardian buddy is with me. To answer your question Plate tanks tank TJ just fine we had no problems.our group was43 illusionist, 45 monk, 47 guardian, 48 warden, 44 dirge, 44 templar, and 49 swashbucklerSo, when you mez one of them its super easy to do. I tanked in perma today with a 50 troub and 49 warden and i had my str, agi, and sta at practically 300 each. I still got hit, can't say exactly how much difference it makes with 300 agi vs my normal 115. I think level of mob vs level of tank and deflection skill has more to do with defense that agi does. I am trying to compare my parsed logs, but well, I cannot find a major difference when I have 300 agi Vs. when I don't. Also, this is slightly off subject, but are our deflection buffs bugged? Phins does not increase my agility and when I cast control breath on myself, and hit the L button to see my skill, it does not go up. Maybe I was just bugged, or maybe its our skill I am not sure. I also had a problem with buffing yesterday. I would get buffed and it would lower my ac. I have over 1800 ac unbuffed (barely over 1800) and this buff dropped me down to like 1500. I was in spider stance, and that actually increases your ac a bit. Some kind of overlap buff bug. I noticed with with a defiler buffing me along with a conjurer. I am not sure which buff did it, but its definately bugged.
GangsterFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
Winn

Gage-Mikel wrote:

=snip=

(Excellent Post)

=snip=

Message Edited by Gage-Mikel on 01-09-2005 06:50 PM

Nice one Gage!

I'd just like to add to Gage's post on tanking...  I was one of the Nay-sayers too.

Immediately after The Big Patch (TBP) i tried out my tanking... and was sorely disappointed. This was when we could still use shields and before it was brought down for the emergency patch.

I didn't get a chance to test it after, but last night i tried tanking, and to my surprise, I could tank well!

They must have done something when they took away my shields because now I'm back to kickin' those beetles' behinds!
Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #14
Huflu

General

I have no problems tanking now.  In fact Im starting to gain a reputation for being a "awsome tank".  I don't really think any monks are complaining about being able to tank at this point.  Most of the posts you see regarding us not being able to tank were written during the couple of weeks in which deflection was broken.  Deflection is fixed, built in shields, yay, go monks.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #15
Nagasak

General

Thanks Gage!  Great work as usual.  Could you point me to where you got your damage parser, I need to get that !
Antonio Bayle server
Nagasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #16
Akita

What program is that your using to parse your data with?
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #17
Wilhelm Tvålfag

It looks to be the same i'm using. I foun it here http://www.thescoutssanctuary.com/viewtopic.php?t=3017
If u search in the forums on that site u find how to use it.

Hapoc
Monk 33 lvl
Caprenter lvl 31
Wilhelm Tvålfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #18
Mum

40 Bruiser here, ya since the patch I have noticed a huge leap in our tanking abilites as well, its fun to be able to take ^^ mobs solo again =) and actually be wanted for MT, seems people are finally starting to get it-Tamaran 40 Iksar Bruiser - Gravestone Coven - AB