EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena > Monk
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
kerra

Loremaster

Ok guys I need your advice, I am a LVL 29 monk and I have a natural (with rings and stuff but w/o buffs) agility of 110. I can be buffed up to about 189 with self-buff, troubadour, warden, and as a surprise to me a Necro (sorry I don’t know the spell but he said it was him).

My stats are as follows:

Health: 1590

Power: 956

Attack: 518

Defense: 740

STR: 57

AGIL:110

STAM: 56

INTEL: 33

WIS: 47

Ok my question is, have I gone to far and please before you answer consider that I am very hard to hit and I almost never miss an attack up to ^^35 mobs. My highest melee hit was for 212 and I use 2 Oakwood Fighting Batons that offer +10 aAGIL and a 1.5 speed  (When the server updates I will put the link here).

IMO i feel that agility is our primary stat or I would have made a big bruiser and gone with power but are my other stats suffering from it?

Thank you in advance,

May peace and tranquility be with you

A

Message Edited by kerra on 01-05-2005 08:59 AM

kerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Cora

I have 101 unbuffed, am a kerra like you, am 7 levels higher and have agi gear ):
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
kerra

Loremaster

Coraz2, thank you for taking the time to reply but that does not answer my question, you have a 101 and you are 7 lvl's higher does that mean I am doing well or dumb as a troll in math class.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Ala

I think the answer is... it depends...

If you want to play "tank" more often, you are doing awesome and just keep targetting your AGI stat.  If you want to be more DPS, focus more on the STR stat.  Of course there are other factors that contribute to hit points etc... but that's the simple version.

I was not sure how AGI contributes to your ability to hit something.  I had a buffed AGI of 180 (at lvl 27) and I was NOT hitting anything level 34^ ^ and above, maybe one or two shots out of a fight but I was basically worthless as DPS. I was just swatting fly's for a while.  I do know that my AGI can be better with trait choices which I will do correctly with the new patch. 

Old 01-06-2005, 01:36 AM   #5
xrippe

I have a 25 Ogre monk with only about 60 agility and I can tank with the best of them.  I can also solo green ^^  blue ^  whites and yellows.

Yenyang Angrydragon
25 Ogre Monk
Kithicore
xrippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 AM   #6
Cora

No no, I was bewildered by you agi hacks.

jk, but no, really ):

woot 1*

Message Edited by Coraz2 on 01-06-2005 03:56 PM

Old 01-06-2005, 02:45 AM   #7
GangsterFi

Personally, AGI is not as important as some people make it out to be IMO. I go with AC over anything. I am a level 45 monk, and currently i have 108 str and a 105 agi unbuffed, and around 1650ish AC unbuffed. Now, when you inspect someone they do not have an AC it says defense instead. I am assuming all of your defensive skills are based off your total defense or at least take in account your defense (your ac). So the higher the defense the better your deflection and avoidance.I have tested this theory by using stone stance. Its like a level 42 monk skill that gives +1800 or so AC for 45 seconds. During this time period you cannot attack you just gotta sit there. So, I am level 43ish or so Tanking level 49 mobs in CT with my monk. I get aggro and tank normally watching how I get hit and recording it. The next level 49 mob comes along I get aggro and stone stance + face of the mountain. Now I had like 4k AC tanking this mob. I did not get hit 1 single time during the whole fight. So, it seems having the higher AC really helps the most IMO for tanking.For DPS it would have to be str all the way + haste. That would yield the best damage results from melee damage.
GangsterFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:00 AM   #8
Cora

It's kind of hard to seek specific stats in this game all the armor does the same thing, with a few exceptions that are obviously pitted toward one class at high levels, like 17agi 15str monk fists.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 AM   #9
Manu

Kerra, you mind linking your character so we can look at how you got so high? I did not know about the oakwood fighting batons and I'm really surprised they give 10agi each. What are the upgrades to these?You found a necklace/earring that raises agi? (the greater lightstone is a necklace does raise agi but it's a real pain to get).
Old 01-06-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
Evilgohanz

Loremaster

While I do believe that agility is a primary ability status concern, but I also do believe you sacrificed a little too much to keep it that high. Same level as you, most of our abilities are about the same as far as - STR/STA, ignoring WIS/INT, but my agility is 103. Now, my HP/Defense is where it drastically differs from yours. I have about 150 more HP than you, and 300 more AC. Losing that for 7 Agility really doesn't seem that worth it to me, and I rather keep my HP/Defense/Agility all pretty high rather than only 1 status. Also, there are about another 2 upgrades I can make, such as for my boots, I can switch from Chainweave to Bogstrutter boots which would give me another 3 AGI bonus, and my current belt to the Outland Brigade one and gain another bonus 1 point. That would bring me up to 107, and still gain a significant boost in HP/Defense.Unfortunately I am not paying for the Advanced Features, so I do not have a "Magelo" type profile for you to look at, but you are free to look me up and contact me if you have any questions.

Message Edited by Evilgohanz on 01-05-2005 03:40 PM

Evilgohanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:52 AM   #11
Gaige

Loremaster

GangsterFist wrote:
Personally, AGI is not as important as some people make it out to be IMO. I go with AC over anything. I am a level 45 monk, and currently i have 108 str and a 105 agi unbuffed, and around 1650ish AC unbuffed. Now, when you inspect someone they do not have an AC it says defense instead. I am assuming all of your defensive skills are based off your total defense or at least take in account your defense (your ac). So the higher the defense the better your deflection and avoidance.

I have tested this theory by using stone stance. Its like a level 42 monk skill that gives +1800 or so AC for 45 seconds. During this time period you cannot attack you just gotta sit there. So, I am level 43ish or so Tanking level 49 mobs in CT with my monk. I get aggro and tank normally watching how I get hit and recording it. The next level 49 mob comes along I get aggro and stone stance + face of the mountain. Now I had like 4k AC tanking this mob. I did not get hit 1 single time during the whole fight. So, it seems having the higher AC really helps the most IMO for tanking.

For DPS it would have to be str all the way + haste. That would yield the best damage results from melee damage.

I respectfully disagree.

I think the #1 stat for tanking is agility, and I've built my toon this way.

At lvl 48 I have 135 unbuffed agility (with my rare armor/weapons/items I should get over 150 I hope).

AC works the same for all classes, and it acts as mitigation.  Since our class relies a lot more heavily on evasion than mitigation I feel going for the most AC is sorta pointless BECAUSE as you upgrade all the items you upgrade to will have higher AC anyway.  So you can't really not upgrade AC, but there are items to choose from that offer more agility than strength, or more agility than stamina so you can certainly build your toon with agility in mind.

Now, agility also increases your accuracy.  So not only are you not getting hit, you are hitting more consistently.  This is a win/win to me.  My strength is lower than most monks my lvl (or even lower than my lvl) but I am a tank first, dps second.  That's how I wanted to play, thus its how I built my character.

So if you are wanting to be MT as you lvl, your stats are sick and then some.  If you prefer to DPS I think I'd sacrifice some of your agility for strength.

While HP/AC is a concern you will find that more characters have HP/AC buffs than have agility buffs. 

My two cents anyway.

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/pplayer.vm?characterId=104053101

I have pristine tailored boots that raise it to 135 when I'm tanking, I wear the legendary jboots when I'm just off messing around.

Message Edited by Gage-Mikel on 01-05-2005 04:25 PM

Old 01-06-2005, 05:52 AM   #12
kerra

Loremaster

Wow cool ty Gage, I am floored to be honest this is exactly how I envisioned my character and really the main reason I started this post. IMPO agility stack is one of the only ways a monk can successfully be a MT you may not hit as hard but you hit more often, being consistent is very important to me in the build out of my toon not damage output.

I have one more question...How strong was Bruce Lee. How badass was he. He was not very strong but he was very fit and very agile. You know that lvl 20 fluff move you get? Well go watch a Bruce Lee movie and tell me where they got that model. Fast, Fit and Agile is for me not big, clumsy and plated like a Mack truck. No offence intended to my Guardian, Pally and Zerker brothers out there, you are needed and much appreciated.

Thank you all for your posts and please keep them up, I and from what it looks like others would like to see what you have to say.   

Old 01-06-2005, 07:14 AM   #13
GangsterFi

Gage-Mikel wrote:

GangsterFist wrote:
Personally, AGI is not as important as some people make it out to be IMO. I go with AC over anything. I am a level 45 monk, and currently i have 108 str and a 105 agi unbuffed, and around 1650ish AC unbuffed. Now, when you inspect someone they do not have an AC it says defense instead. I am assuming all of your defensive skills are based off your total defense or at least take in account your defense (your ac). So the higher the defense the better your deflection and avoidance.

I have tested this theory by using stone stance. Its like a level 42 monk skill that gives +1800 or so AC for 45 seconds. During this time period you cannot attack you just gotta sit there. So, I am level 43ish or so Tanking level 49 mobs in CT with my monk. I get aggro and tank normally watching how I get hit and recording it. The next level 49 mob comes along I get aggro and stone stance + face of the mountain. Now I had like 4k AC tanking this mob. I did not get hit 1 single time during the whole fight. So, it seems having the higher AC really helps the most IMO for tanking.

For DPS it would have to be str all the way + haste. That would yield the best damage results from melee damage.

I respectfully disagree.

I think the #1 stat for tanking is agility, and I've built my toon this way.

At lvl 48 I have 135 unbuffed agility (with my rare armor/weapons/items I should get over 150 I hope).

AC works the same for all classes, and it acts as mitigation. Since our class relies a lot more heavily on evasion than mitigation I feel going for the most AC is sorta pointless BECAUSE as you upgrade all the items you upgrade to will have higher AC anyway. So you can't really not upgrade AC, but there are items to choose from that offer more agility than strength, or more agility than stamina so you can certainly build your toon with agility in mind.

Now, agility also increases your accuracy. So not only are you not getting hit, you are hitting more consistently. This is a win/win to me. My strength is lower than most monks my lvl (or even lower than my lvl) but I am a tank first, dps second. That's how I wanted to play, thus its how I built my character.

So if you are wanting to be MT as you lvl, your stats are sick and then some. If you prefer to DPS I think I'd sacrifice some of your agility for strength.

While HP/AC is a concern you will find that more characters have HP/AC buffs than have agility buffs.

My two cents anyway.

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/pplayer.vm?characterId=104053101

I have pristine tailored boots that raise it to 135 when I'm tanking, I wear the legendary jboots when I'm just off messing around.

Message Edited by Gage-Mikel on 01-05-2005 04:25 PM

Thats cool, I disagree with Agi being the most important stat. I am sure that if we compared logs and how much total times we have been hit and how much total damage we have taken I am sure the differences are very minor. Druids, shamans, bard, and chanters have AGI buffs. So, I get plenty of AGI buffs in the game. My AC unbuffed is just under 1700, my agi unbuffed is 105. In my parsed logs I have a 95.3% hit rate against mobs right now as my current average. So I am not sure how much more I would hit a mob with +30 more AGI. 95% is pretty good and does not really need improving IMHO. The only down side is that it does not take in account the times I tank over the times I just DPS. However, i will say that I tank about 60% of the time and DPS the other 40% when playing the game. Now look at total damage taken. When I have more AC, I take less damage. Also, more AC does actually help defensive skills like defecltion. If you don't believe tank a mob with stone stance and when you have over 4k AC you never get hit, not a single time. Of course the down side is you cannot use any combat skills or attack when in stone stance. However, when tanking AC + spider stance seems to work out better than just AGI buffs. I will have to parse myself next time I have over 250 AGI when tanking to see if the amount of hits is drastically less than when I only have like 150ish, or even at my base agi 105. I know a lot of times I do not have an AGI buff when tanking and honestly I never notice a difference. However, I notice huge differences with AC. I tested this out with a shield too, back when they first patched that monks can have shields. However, its just my opinion Vs. yours, there really is no proof either way since no one really knows how much stats effect gameplay in this game. I would say they do effect game play, but its no where near the difference compared to EQ1. I think that if I was compared to a monk pound for pound in tanking abilities and they had 130 agi and I only have 105, I am sure there would be nil differences. Now, lets say I had more str and more ac and they had like 75 more agi. I would put my money on the str and ac. Str for the ability to do more taunts, more combat abilities and do more damage. I have hit for 245 dmg with a cestii of the master with no combat skills before. Thats a regular old melee hit. More DPS = mob die faster. So, its really all in your perspective.Deflection Vs avoidance:You have several delfection skills. You have parry, block, and riposte. You have one avoidance skill, dodge. AC has to help your defensive skills because it seems my defensive skills work like 8 times better when in stone stance.When AC is a cocner, do I take this item which has 10 more ac, or do I take the one with less because it has agility? I would rather go with the AC.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #14
GangsterFi

double post hehe sorry

Message Edited by GangsterFist on 01-05-2005 06:17 PM

Old 01-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
Manu

Kerra, can you link your character please?As for AGI permitting to hit more often, Jezekiell posted the following (regarding AGI and power pool)STR* Power for Fighters* increases melee damage (all classes)* increases melee hit probability (all classes)* carrying weight (all classes)AGI* Power for Scouts* increases damage avoidance (all classes)STA* Increased hitpoints (all classes)WIS* Power for Priests* secondary power stat for Crusaders* helps resist spells cast by mobs (all classes)INT* Power for Mages* secondary power stat for Bards* helps spells overcome mob resistance (all classes)
Old 01-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #16
TheWildA

General

last time i checked i had 134 unbuffed agi at lvl 44. should be the same now that i just dinged 45 except in my bank i now have an augmented item used for throwing weapons that adds +9 more agi over ther +2 i currantly have on. so i should have 141 agi next time i go to town.

"edit - ok just got to town, i have 142 unbuffed agi."

Message Edited by TheWildAce on 01-05-2005 07:04 PM

Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #17
Gaige

Loremaster

Yeah both are probably good ways, I just prefer agility.

I've hit for high 200s with Cestii of the Master just auto attack, with troub/dirge str buffs.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #18
TheWildA

General

just a tip if your going for agi, theres a REALLY nice lvl 44-49 +9 agi +2 stam +5 wis. Ring that droped in River Vale off the corrupted brigands. called "Runners Ring" and pls note theres 3 rings that i know of with that name. "Runner's Ring" <--- which is from L Jboot quest. and another lower lvl Runners ring with poor stats.

i didnt find out about the +9 agi rings untill after the brigands turned grey to me. but i managed to trade one from a friend so i do have one. would of really liked anothe rbut havnt had much luck finding someone to sell it.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #19
Gaige

Loremaster

I have two luckily.  Traded a friend a rhodium ring for one, paid 20g for the other SMILEY
Old 01-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #20
TheWildA

General

throw one to my server :smileywink:
Old 01-06-2005, 08:06 AM   #21
Ala

I never thought of this until this post.  Are AGI buffs based on a percentage of your base AGI or simply adds a fixed number?  If fixed number, then I won't worry so much about squeezing every last bit of AGI I can find in weapons and jewelry.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #22
TheWildA

General

well atleast for me i find getting str. buff in groups is more common atleast it is when im lfg's, so the more agi i can get out of items the better in my case
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #23
Cora

I disagree with all of you, I have 187 charisma and I am getting about 5s more per loot sold to vendor, and that wtfpwns your tanking and dps IN THE FACE.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #24
GangsterFi

Coraz2 wrote:
I disagree with all of you, I have 187 charisma and I am getting about 5s more per loot sold to vendor, and that wtfpwns your tanking and dps IN THE FACE.

heheheWell i have over 200k status points, that is way better than any charisma. City merchants love me to death. Man heritage quests rule.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #25
kerra

Loremaster

OK some of you guys asked so here I am ...dont ask me why it shows a boiled leath band instead of my +4 to agility sheath but here I am. be gentle..:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by kerra on 01-06-2005 09:18 AM

Old 01-06-2005, 11:51 PM   #26
TheWildA

General

after choosing my traits, i currantly have 151 unbuffed agi. i like the new patch =P
Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #27
kerra

Loremaster

Yes but you are also lvl 45 an I am 20% from 30.....I like my stats as well :smileytongue::smileyhappy:
Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #28
Gaige

Loremaster

150 unbuffed agility here ;o
Old 01-07-2005, 04:18 AM   #29
healimonst

You can all make yourself feel better and look at my strength and agility.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:51 AM   #30
kerra

Loremaster

Healiminster, what do clay crawlers con to you at level 30 and how the heck did it kill you? Dont those things come in groups of 2? We are about the same lvl dude all you need to do is upgrade your suff either twards agi or str or both its up to you. :smileywink: