EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Axyrem

Loremaster

Why is my TAB targeting Key giving me everything around like roots, plants, collectibles, nodes  etc etc instead of Enemies ?

Where is the Targeting function that lets me only target ENEMY NPC´s instead of everything usesless that lays on the ground around me ?

"Target Nearest PvP" Targets roots and stuff > Since when do i fight a Root in PvP ?

"Target nearest Enemy" targets a collectible > since when do i fight a collectible ?

The same happens with all other targeting options. I cant find a way to only target NPC Enemies, this really poor programmed target function never targets the NPCs i want to target, instead its cycling around behind and beside my character, targeting things that have nothing to do with my gameplay.

This TAB targeting needs a Filter urgend that tells it which things to ignore when using TAB

(no native english)

Axyrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Psyvampiress

Loremaster

I think F8 will target nearest mob SMILEY
Psyvampiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis

Loremaster

Yes but closest mob cannot replace target tabbing.

The lack of proper targetting is probably one of the most ridiculous aspect of Eq2.

Tab target shoulrd start close and work into a 120-150 degree angle and it should only pikc mob.

Anyway it's a lost cause and i wonder how many hundred of customers got lost due to poor interface.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Felshades

Loremaster

Psyvampiress wrote:

I think F8 will target nearest mob

I don't want closest mob, I want to cycle through nearby hostiles. Which is what tab targetting does in most games...

Except that here it targets every single clickable thing like harvesting nodes, shinies and some things like bodies you need to inspect for quests.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Crillus
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Ashen Dawn

Loremaster

Also if you are in a dungeon or whatever and have a couple of different 'grouped encounters' on your - the tab will cycle through a single encounter, but not the other.

If you have a total of 6 mobs say - in 3 groups of two mobs each, you can cycle through the first group of two, but if you want to get to the second group of mobs, you have to manually target.

I'm a good one for tearing up dungeons AOE when they turn green, so I noticed the change since the X-Pac - I don't recall it being like that before.

Crillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Levatino

Loremaster

Felshades wrote:

Psyvampiress wrote:

I don't want closest mob, I want to cycle through nearby hostiles. Which is what tab targetting does in most games...

Except that here it targets every single clickable thing like harvesting nodes, shinies and some things like bodies you need to inspect for quests.

yes and I find it very good that it does. there is more to this game then only mob fighting.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
apwyork

Loremaster

It's always toggled between every targetable object in your field of view for as long as I remember.  I've always used it as a means to spot hidden sparklies and stuff while travelling

apwyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Cuedywene

Loremaster

works great for me but I like to harvest and collect /shrug

Cuedywene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Deago

Loremaster

Is there not a command to target nearest mob?  macro it up and use it...

I actually coded up in about 2min an applicaton that simply pressed down on f8 when I hit tab.   I never use it because there is no need and possibly is illegal *shrugs*

Point is its not worth crying over really..

and if tab worked the way alot of folks want it...bots would be 100% easier to create because every little script kiddy could muster up one etc..

Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Kunaak

Loremaster

the fact that you can tab to a non fight related object during a fight is one of the most surprisng and broken things in this game.

Kunaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Calthine

ZAM EQII

For the record, Tab targeting has always targetted the nearest targetable anything.  Since launch.  So it's probably working as someone at some time intended.

F8 targets nearest NPC.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Calthine wrote:

For the record, Tab targeting has always targetted the nearest targetable anything.  Since launch.  So it's probably working as someone at some time intended.

F8 targets nearest NPC.

Tab doesn't always pick the nearest targetable.  I've had it pick things far off in the distance and in one zone it picked something behind me.  I've seen it refuse to switch to another target no matter how many times it's pressed.  Right now tab targetting is massively broken.  Has been for the past year.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Cuedywene

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Calthine wrote:

F8 targets nearest NPC.

Tab doesn't always pick the nearest targetable.  I've had it pick things far off in the distance and in one zone it picked something behind me.  I've seen it refuse to switch to another target no matter how many times it's pressed.  Right now tab targetting is massively broken.  Has been for the past year.

Strange...I used it a ton the last few days and didn't experience any of those issues.  I wonder if it is a graphics setting issue that results in what you target or not....

Cuedywene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Axyrem

Loremaster

Kunaak wrote:

the fact that you can tab to a non fight related object during a fight is one of the most surprisng and broken things in this game.

exactly this is the one and only thing i complain about. They have like 999 options under Game Options but none that allows us to filter out all the useless targets.

In addition, it happens that you have more than one encounter, TABing to the other group doesnt work because the 1st is locked. Big big problem sometimes when the group get a bad pull.

A Simple targeting filter and the problem would be solved

Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Axyrem

Loremaster

Psyvampiress wrote:

when fighting groups as defiler, i have to DoT every single MOB because of my lack of AoE attacks. Target nearest woueldnt allow me to switch rotate between the MOBs it would stay on the closest. not good.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
shots01

Lord

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Calthine wrote:

F8 targets nearest NPC.

For everyone that has said the above, I am in total agreement.  The problem with tab targetting is the main reason I refuse to play a tank.  I also cannot and will not play my swashie in a pug group for this very reason.

shots01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
IvyBlackrose

Lord

its been that way since 2004 "working as intended"
Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
Wurm

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Calthine wrote:

F8 targets nearest NPC.

This. And its about time someone fixed it.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
Deago

Loremaster

If I had to guess the tab algorithm is somehow connected to the field of vision of either your screen or the avatar.  For the sake of argument I will say if thats true its why folks are going "huh?" when you tab and get a node about 2miles away SMILEY

Just guessing.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
Felshades

Loremaster

Levatino wrote:

Felshades wrote:

Psyvampiress wrote:

yes and I find it very good that it does. there is more to this game then only mob fighting.

When I'm in combat trying to tank I sure as hell don't want to be tab targetting harvesting nodes. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
Felshades

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

Is there not a command to target nearest mob?  macro it up and use it...

I actually coded up in about 2min an applicaton that simply pressed down on f8 when I hit tab.   I never use it because there is no need and possibly is illegal *shrugs*

Point is its not worth crying over really..

and if tab worked the way alot of folks want it...bots would be 100% easier to create because every little script kiddy could muster up one etc..

There's already a 100% functional bot program that not only kills for you, but harvests for you as well. SMILEY

Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
Felshades

Loremaster

shots01 wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Calthine wrote:

F8 targets nearest NPC.

For everyone that has said the above, I am in total agreement.  The problem with tab targetting is the main reason I refuse to play a tank.  I also cannot and will not play my swashie in a pug group for this very reason.

If I had what I had in wow I'd tank more often. Nameplates I can click on instead of trying to click the mob themselves because tab can't actually stay on hostiles but instead every white text shiny and npc.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #23
Neiloch

Loremaster

So many things wrong in this thread.

Why are people even tab targetting? Only place where I could see it being a problem targetting things that aren't mobs is RW in which case I hope you are a tank otherwise you should be assisting.

Why are healers bothering with dotting mobs? If I saw a healer on a raid or group trying to do DPS they would get QUITE the ear full, if we weren't already steamrolling content.

Starting to think tab targetting doesn't work well on here because people who play properly don't use it.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #24
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

[email protected]lock wrote:

Why are people even tab targetting? Only place where I could see it being a problem targetting things that aren't mobs is RW in which case I hope you are a tank otherwise you should be assisting.

Why are healers bothering with dotting mobs? If I saw a healer on a raid or group trying to do DPS they would get QUITE the ear full, if we weren't already steamrolling content.

Starting to think tab targetting doesn't work well on here because people who play properly don't use it.

So many things wrong with your post. Like, all of it.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #25
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Cuedywene wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Calthine wrote:

F8 targets nearest NPC.

Strange...I used it a ton the last few days and didn't experience any of those issues.  I wonder if it is a graphics setting issue that results in what you target or not....

Graphics settings have zero to do with it.  It's a zone issue.  Some zones I have noticed absolutely terrible tabbing issues.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #26
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

If I had to guess the tab algorithm is somehow connected to the field of vision of either your screen or the avatar.  For the sake of argument I will say if thats true its why folks are going "huh?" when you tab and get a node about 2miles away

Just guessing.

You are more correct than you realize.  It's much like the "stinky feet" agro system.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #27
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Defilers have to DOT.  A lot of their debuffs are their... DOTs.

Am also on Playxpert.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #28
Felshades

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Have you ever tanked more than one mob at a time? Like... ever?

So many things wrong with this post it's not even funny.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #29
Levatino

Loremaster

Felshades wrote:

Levatino wrote:

Felshades wrote:

Psyvampiress wrote:

When I'm in combat trying to tank I sure as hell don't want to be tab targetting harvesting nodes. Thanks.

then use your mouse..

Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #30
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Tab targeting picks the nearest targetable.  Then the next, then the next, then the next.  So if you're in combat and hit tab it'll hit the next nearest to the last targeted....

Just use F8, or your mouse.  It's annoying, but not broken.  It's fantastic when you're looking for $#%@% dens in Rivervale.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote