EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Pilchar

Master

I'm debating on whether or not I want to make a Dirge. I used to play one on EQOA and still like their character style. I've heard they are really bad at soloing, and rely on groups to level. My question is; do people regularly group in EQ2? And where do groups usually go? I've heard that it is normally dungeons. Are most of the dungeons similar to each other..in the fact that they are caves and somewhat cramped? And how hard would it be to get a group as a dirge?

Hullabaloo - Erudite Dirge

Pilchar - Halfling Warden

GUK SERVER
Pilchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
masterbexi

Pilchar wrote:
I'm debating on whether or not I want to make a Dirge. I used to play one on EQOA and still like their character style. I've heard they are really bad at soloing, and rely on groups to level. My question is; do people regularly group in EQ2? And where do groups usually go? I've heard that it is normally dungeons. Are most of the dungeons similar to each other..in the fact that they are caves and somewhat cramped? And how hard would it be to get a group as a dirge?

i just found out this game is carebear-centric even on its pvp servers, although i'll probably play till SoE takes my free time away ( a "bonus" for playing that trash of a game Vanguard)

its really sad that the only game out atm with good pvp is on its last leg ( and a very short crippled leg at that)

masterbexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
Lenanu
Server: Oasis
Guild: Wandering Souls

Loremaster

All classes can solo decently if played right. Some quests requires you to group with others (just ask around in OOC for help and sometimes you can get one together). Now all groups do dungeons (all raids are dungeons and groups do dungeons only half the time)
Old 08-17-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
Inf213

Loremaster

masterbexi wrote:
Pilchar wrote:

i just found out this game is carebear-centric even on its pvp servers, although i'll probably play till SoE takes my free time away ( a "bonus" for playing that trash of a game Vanguard)

its really sad that the only game out atm with good pvp is on its last leg ( and a very short crippled leg at that)

I wouldn't say that the game is "carebear-centric" I've lost many a gold around Qeynos on Venekor. SMILEY

but when I swing my swords they all chopable.

"Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend,

that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."

Inf213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #5
tass

Loremaster

hmm. Well grping used to accor regularly. lol I remember when lots of people actually talked in the chat channels. Man those were the days. Anyway to put it simply this game is solely based apon solo oriented. No matter ur class or ur race youn can solo. You can gain xp and aa points from so many easy solo quests, or you can grind xp off of weak mobs at a fair rate. Hell you can solo heroics if you have the gear which isn't to hard to get. So Id say forget grping and choose which class you like the best cause ur gonna have many many many a lonely night where their are no grps lfm, and no one lfg except some 70's maybe.
tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
Inf213

Loremaster

I guess answering the post would help too SMILEY

One of my characters is a Troubador and it's alot of fun. I do have some slight trouble while soloing but it's more about being smart than anything else. That being said in my opinion it's easier to solo as a Dirge than a Troub. They have some great abilities and I've never known a group to dislike their bards.

Look up their AA's as well, I'm very impressed with the Bard achievements and think you'd have a good deal of fun playing one. A good resource for skill/trait databases can be found at www.eq2ref.com

To answer your questions, Yes people group regularly in EQ2. It's a large portion of the game and great fun at that. At any given level there are a few dungeons you may head to with alot of loot possibilities and on my server of Butcherblock people are always lfg. Don't be scared by the word "dungeon" though. They aren't all dark damp caves. Many are intricate and, for lack of a better word, cavernous SMILEY. You will not have trouble finding a group as a Dirge and in my honest opinion they're a blast to play.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
Drager
Server: Nektulos
Guild: True Brotherhood of Knights

Loremaster

man ive been gone for 2 weeks ad the game has already gone to hell please tell me this isnt on every server
Drager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Inf213

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
man ive been gone for 2 weeks ad the game has already gone to hell please tell me this isnt on every server
It's not SMILEY

Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

Its mainly on the forums...

In the actual game, there are people everywhere.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
tass

Loremaster

Inf213 wrote:

To answer your questions, Yes people group regularly in EQ2. It's a large portion of the game and great fun at that. 

lol don't lie to him. The only grping done in a dungeon is ur run by bot grp farming npc's. Or just ur regular farmers
Old 08-17-2007, 03:54 AM   #11
Inf213

Loremaster

tass wrote:
Inf213 wrote:

To answer your questions, Yes people group regularly in EQ2. It's a large portion of the game and great fun at that. 

lol don't lie to him. The only grping done in a dungeon is ur run by bot grp farming npc's. Or just ur regular farmers
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I never have trouble finding a group on butcherblock.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:09 AM   #12
Norrsken

Loremaster

Inf213 wrote:
tass wrote:
Inf213 wrote:

neither do I on nagafen. Or kithicor.

Norrsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
Drager
Server: Nektulos
Guild: True Brotherhood of Knights

Loremaster

im on nek and it is pretty good there
Drager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
Ig
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Socii Equitis

General

Just to chime in with a few others, since about lvl 20ish (no one groups before lvl 20), I have never had any trouble finding a group on Everfrost.
Ig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
Rokaab

Loremaster

Pilchar wrote:
I'm debating on whether or not I want to make a Dirge. I used to play one on EQOA and still like their character style. I've heard they are really bad at soloing, and rely on groups to level.

Well dirges are ace (somewhat biased comment here SMILEY)

Yes, dirges are not the best soloers by a long way, taking heroics on that arent grey is often a stupid idea. But soloing solo mobs we are perfectly fine at, not the fastest, not the slowest.

I soloed most of my way to 50, the grouped a bit, then soloed the rest of the way to 70 (this includes the time when scouts were all feeling hard done by). So yeah its perfectly feasible to solo a dirge as long as you stay away from the heroics - though it wont be fast.

Though you really do shine in a group, well you dont but everyone else will and they will love you for it (it always make me smile when we're sorting out the groups in raids, when the swashie and assassin are busy arguing over who should get the dirge)

Rokaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Cmos
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Heros of war

Loremaster

Inf213 wrote:
tass wrote:
Inf213 wrote:

BB ftw! SMILEY
Old 08-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
tass

Loremaster

man now im just sad. All the other servers have grps. All we have are 3rd world people sending spam and botting.SMILEY Id say we should be merged with another server but no one should have to deal with that endless swarm of 202. ip addresses.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
Gane
Server: Unrest
Guild: What

Seer

masterbexi wrote:

this made lolololololol.
Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #19
Ranja

Loremaster

masterbexi wrote:
Pilchar wrote:

Dude if you hate the game leave it. Every one of your posts is trashing EQ2. Why are you still here? Go away. Don't post misinformation and your stunted opinion that was made in a month of playtime, to drive off other players. T To the OP, it is easy to find a group if you ahve the time and inclination. Most people that say you cant find groups throw up their LFG tag and wait. If you actively look for a group it is not that hard. Granted it maybe hard to get a group to do a specific quests (other than heritage and sig) but there are still groups out there and easy to find out that. Don't let Masterbater and his bad attitude drive you away.

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #20
Ama

General

Pilchar wrote:

Welcome my EQOA brethern I was on the Castle Lightwolf server and played a warden.  From what I have seen Bards are vastly different here than they were in EQOA.

If you pick a Dirge you best be prepared to ask 2-3 level 70 dirges what their AA makeups are.  Also you will want to hunt constantly for Master I versions of your spells since Dirges are vital in grouping and especially in raiding situations. 

Now to answer your questions:

1. Yes you can usually find groups in EQ2 with there being a couple of slow days here and there.
  2. Groups like to do "Instanced" zones which are private zones selective to your group.  People run around in some zones getting xp which is opposed to what we did in EQOA camping a spot for xp.
  3. No, dungeons can vary greatly in design, architecture and mobs depending upon the zone.  If you Compare Halls of Fate to Crypt of Valdoon it is greatly different.  However if you compare like zones such as The Nest and Vaults they arn't too different except for layout.
  4. Dirges are a great asset to groups and to raids.  You best be prepared to memorize alot fo spells and what does what.  Some people who are tanking will ask for specific buffs such as your hate gain buff or have you use different ones all together. 
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #21
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

Most people tend to solo grind outdoor zones.  However, if you ever want to set foot past the opening room of a dungeon and kill something for real loot...you're going to have to group.

Unfortunately, most people tend to solo-grind to 70 and find they suddenly have to group if they want any decent loot...and they have absolutely no clue how to play their class in a group setting.

Personally, i prefer dungeons to outdoor grinding, so I group as much as possible all the way up.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #22
Pilchar

Master

So I guess basically the majority of people solo..but there are still some groups? I guess that isn't too bad.. I'm just worried that everyone is off doing their own thing..and the social interaction and community is low/nonexistant because of that. But I guess guilds have a lot of community. And hey there Amana. I guess you mean to say you played a druid..since there were no Wardens SMILEY I played primarily on CLW too..although I did play on DH occasionally. My character was an elf bard..Keyfair. Didn't level too much (played 3-4 years and only got to 51) but he and all my other alts were twinks hehe. I spent alot of time acquireing rare gear and such..miss those days.

Hullabaloo - Erudite Dirge

Pilchar - Halfling Warden

GUK SERVER
Pilchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:32 AM   #23
m0nket

Loremaster

masterbexi wrote:
Pilchar wrote:

Carebear?

One of the two must be true; 

1. You have not played on Nagafen.

2. You are a liar.

m0nket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:13 AM   #24
Isla

Champion

Pilchar wrote:
So I guess basically the majority of people solo..but there are still some groups? I guess that isn't too bad.. I'm just worried that everyone is off doing their own thing..and the social interaction and community is low/nonexistant because of that. But I guess guilds have a lot of community. And hey there Amana. I guess you mean to say you played a druid..since there were no Wardens SMILEY I played primarily on CLW too..although I did play on DH occasionally. My character was an elf bard..Keyfair. Didn't level too much (played 3-4 years and only got to 51) but he and all my other alts were twinks hehe. I spent alot of time acquireing rare gear and such..miss those days.
Well, most people do solo, but groups are crawling all over instances and dungeouns and if you cant get into one, its usually easy enough to start one. SMILEY grab a tank and a healer and start punching mobs and picking up people on the way.
Isla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #25
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance

Loremaster

masterbexi wrote:

/chuckles After reading a few of your Eeyore posts over the past couple days, I've begun to suspect that your issues with EQ2 have nothing to do with the community or game mechanics.. but rather how you interact with other people. Think about it. /nods
Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #26
Ardnahoy

Loremaster

For groups, dirges and troubs are absolutely sick. Their buffs and debuffs are so sweet. I'll take a bard anytime I can for groups. If you level one up, expect to get lots of guild invites at level 70. Just don't expect to do it solo as you will get quite frustrated.