EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

With this morning's maintenance, Antonia Bayle received some new hardware which should greatly reduce, if not eliminate, the lag you've been experiencing.  We will be monitoring the new hardware and phasing out the old hardware over time.

Please share your experiences with us.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Gungo

Loremaster

I hope everything goes as flawless as it did on nagafen. Then maybe crushbone will get hit up next.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Xill

Loremaster

Im expecting them to save it for the merges if naggy and AB get finished without too much trouble

Xill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Corydonn

Loremaster

It's working awesomely for all the casual playing, Clicking a druid portal maker in the guild hall and having them respond instantly instead of thirty seconds to a minute is amazing.

Corydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Gungo

Loremaster

Corydonn wrote:

It's working awesomely for all the casual playing, Clicking a druid portal maker in the guild hall and having them respond instantly instead of thirty seconds to a minute is amazing.

Now go and kill Klakktus unbound and Oxdaxius reforming tonight and tell us of the glory of finally playing without lag.

It should be a funny race on AB to see who can get there first tonight. Kinda like old school contested with actual competition.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
LardLord

Loremaster

Gungo wrote:

Now go and kill Klakktus unbound and Oxdaxius reforming tonight and tell us of the glory of finally playing without lag.

That's easier said than done when there are literally a dozen guilds competing for the easy mode   I'm sure Bloodthorn will find it up at some weird hour, but still...heh.

Anyway, those druid portals are pretty amazing now!  Can't wait to see what it's like to raid tomorrow!  

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Writer Cal

Loremaster

No casting lag solo in Frontier and Stonebrunt, which is the first time I can say that since Beta.  No misfires of my ranged auto-attack macros.  No delay from the druid and wizard amenities.  Good stuff!

Looking forward to seeing how it is in a raid tomorrow.

Member of the Tom Tobey Fan Club since 2010.

Homeshow Designs:

Deluxe Seaside Cottage

Reckoning Goes Corporate
Writer Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
Gungo

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Gungo wrote:

That's easier said than done when there are literally a dozen guilds competing for the easy mode   I'm sure Bloodthorn will find it up at some weird hour, but still...heh.

Anyway, those druid portals are pretty amazing now!  Can't wait to see what it's like to raid tomorrow!  

Which brings us to the question. What ever happened to them splitting the easy and hardmode contested encounters? I thought the idea was for the hardmode to spawn after the easy mode was killed. When did that idea get nix'd?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
jazzy_

Loremaster

amazing what new hardware will do for gameplay.
jazzy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Corydonn

Loremaster

No lag on Klaaktuus Unbound with 70+ players in the zone, Amazing job Rothgar and the dev team.

Corydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
ChrissyFaey

Loremaster

Spent some raid-oriented time in Sundered Frontier with absolutely no command raid. This is absolutely wonderful.

Thank you guys so much for giving our server some love.

ChrissyFaey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Apos

Loremaster

The least amount of lag we ever had pulling klaaktus before was about 3 seconds of command lag at around 2 am or so. The most was one time trying with 5 or 6 sundered instances up with about 80 in zone and I counted 14 seconds or so between me trying to cure something and the cure going off (most people were already dead by time it fired as I recall).

There was no significant lag at all on Klaaktus today. I noticed a spell once took about a half second to gray or so, so I guess it might be -possible- to lag still, which I guess could be significant if like AB's load doubled or something.

Apos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
Tehom

Loremaster

Yeah, there was very little to no lag at all on what was previously one of the laggiest encounters in the game. Since there was some barely perceptible lag (maybe something like a small fraction of a second delay on casts) I'd guess it could get bad again with greatly increased load, but it's pretty much perfect now.

Thank you so much for doing this. It's like a different game.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Hikinami
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster

All hail Rothgar, King of the devs!

Hikinami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Gungo

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Yeah, there was very little to no lag at all on what was previously one of the laggiest encounters in the game. Since there was some barely perceptible lag (maybe something like a small fraction of a second delay on casts) I'd guess it could get bad again with greatly increased load, but it's pretty much perfect now.

Thank you so much for doing this. It's like a different game.

Lets hope they don't merge servers much beyond AB's population then. If all servers were merged to be aproximately the same active population as AB then it seems populations would be fine. 

Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Carpediem
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

The lag improvements are really awesome but, one issue I was hoping they would resolve and didn't is the auto attack going back to melee for rangers on auto attacks. I was hoping removing the lag would fix this but it didn't. Can you get it in with all the UI changes happening so we have a button/drop down menu to choose which auto attack we want to use full time?

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #17
Lantis

Loremaster

Like everyone else, raiding was pretty much lag-free for us as well.  We did two named in Underfoot, and most of Labs.  Good stuff so far SMILEY

Lantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #18
Rothgar

Developer

I'm very glad to hear you guys had some great experiences with the hardware upgrades so far.  We still have lots of work to do though.  Over the next couple of weeks we will be phasing out older hardware and making plans for merges and additional hardware upgrades.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #19
Syndarin
Server: Unrest
Guild: Equilibrium

Loremaster

Chath and Apos are only saying that because they dont wont AB to be merged with anything tbh

Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #20
Writer Cal

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

I'm very glad to hear you guys had some great experiences with the hardware upgrades so far.  We still have lots of work to do though.  Over the next couple of weeks we will be phasing out older hardware and making plans for merges and additional hardware upgrades.

/worrywart.

I do hope said work and merges don't lead to worse performance than this.  Yis?  Please?  It's kinda nice to see the game as it's designed and not under the lagging weight of performance issues.

Just checking... SMILEY

Member of the Tom Tobey Fan Club since 2010.

Homeshow Designs:

Deluxe Seaside Cottage

Reckoning Goes Corporate
Writer Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #21
TheSpin

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

I understand if you can't or don't want to answer this.

I thought I'd ask if our old hardware is going to be used for EQ2X

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Andu

General

New hardware and merge Splitpaw with Runnyeye imo!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
Nakash

Loremaster

Anduri wrote:

New hardware and merge Splitpaw with Runnyeye imo!

Will there be any update for European servers ?

Valor ? Inovation ?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #24
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

...Over the next couple of weeks we will be phasing out older hardware and making plans for merges ...

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
Yimway

Loremaster

TheSpin wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

I swear they already said EQ2X was getting its own new hardware.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #26
TheSpin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

TheSpin wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

I swear I read just the opposite, that they would be using stuff they already owned.

Really doesn't matter that much to me, and I'll leave it at that to not put the thread off topic.

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #27
Gungo

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

TheSpin wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Eq2x was getting hardware used on other sony now defunct games such as vangard. That hardware is better then the current OLD eq2 hardware. 

There still is alot of questions on what will happen to servers like crushbone which always had horrible lag issues. What are the planned merges.Are they purchasing new hard ware or using some of this older hardware they are removing from naggy/antonia bayle.Will this old hardware improve other servers performance as much as nagafen/antonia bayle has with thier new hardware. Are they purchasing new hardware as well as reusing old hardware. Will Ab and nagafens lag get worse when they remove old hardware. 

Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #28
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Gungo wrote:

Eq2x was getting hardware used on other sony now defunct games such as vangard. That hardware is better then the current OLD eq2 hardware. 

There still is alot of questions on what will happen to servers like crushbone which always had horrible lag issues. What are the planned merges.Are they purchasing new hard ware or using some of this older hardware they are removing from naggy/antonia bayle.Will this old hardware improve other servers performance as much as nagafen/antonia bayle has with thier new hardware. Are they purchasing new hardware as well as reusing old hardware. Will Ab and nagafens lag get worse when they remove old hardware. 

Supposedly Old HW from AB/Naggy is getting phased out as they watch load levels and is supposed to be put towards the old servers to boost performance in those worlds. I don't know how much of the old hardware has already been disconnected from the AB/Naggy worlds -- they may have already replaced it all.

Individual server speed/stats aren't as important when it comes to running the game so much as overall capacity -- enough of the old servers would be just as good as a smaller amount of the new hardware. They're also looking at merges for the smaller servers; every non-instanced zone in-game is always running, so if you merge two low-pop servers into a medium or high-pop server you reduce the amount of wasted resources that are running the overland zones, since now there's only one copy of most that is just being used to a greater extent.

My guess is the current higher-pop servers (like Crushbone and excluding naggy/AB) will get the old Naggy/AB hardware to add capacity. Some smaller servers will merge or be merged into medium-population servers, and their hardware will be pooled. Depending on the load, they might even be able to pull some hardware off merged servers to apply to servers that aren't being merged (because of the resource savings of not having to run all those zones twice).

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #29
isest

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Im very pleased to hear were going to be getting some server mergers. Little bit worried I'm good on my toon names, but the wife might have tons of issues with her toon names with a merge.

Hopefully you can impart more information on what servers are headed what direction and so forth soon.   Looks like I'm not going to have to pay the 200 bucks to move my toons and the wife's toons to ab after all.

isest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #30
Talazar

Loremaster

Corydonn wrote:

No lag on Klaaktuus Unbound with 70+ players in the zone, Amazing job Rothgar and the dev team.

Bah dev team.  The hardware guys get no love =)

Talazar is offline   Reply With Quote