EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #121
Geothe

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,098
Default

I dont see why they are putting in the hate list requirement and the mentoring penalty... that just seems to penalize far more players than its worth.

The rest is worth while and will make grouping actually a solid way to XP again (finally) for those that want to.  The hate list/mentoring punishment needs to be removed however.

__________________
Smed: We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #122
Regolas

Loremaster
Regolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 603
Default

Tommara, I never said at L90. I try not to group with L90s in skyshrine. Mainly because of bad experiences with people who can't even be bothered to get the WL quest gear to give them enough crit chance to actually be useful in the group, but also because their AAs will be low so they won't have the useful abilities that make a difference. But, my point still stands that skyshrine xp is as good as RoK dungeons. Coldmetal, No I'm not raid geared. I just make the groups. There's a lot of sheep in this game that just want to follow. If you advertise that you're making a group you'll get a lot more interest than if you advertise you're LFG. Atan, I agree with your reasoning except the hate list thing. If the mentoring and encounter bonus was kept as is, and they just made it so if you get on the hate list you get solo xp not an xp split, then worst case scenario is nothing changes (like Terra originally said). If you box PL an alt, you'd get the same PL xp as current if the alt is on autofollow, but if you can get on hate list with alt you get more xp. A win win imo. You can still mentor down at 90 and solo things for the same xp as before. The issue with the new changes is it penalises people who are 90 with less than 280AA from mentoring down and soloing old dungeons for xp, and it also penalises people of the right level for the content if they can't get on the hate list. Both because of loosing encounter xp. If they scrap the loss of encounter xp, then the worst case scenario is nothing changes, but it encourages active participation.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #123
Tommara

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 301
Default

Regolas wrote:

Tommara, I never said at L90. I try not to group with L90s in skyshrine. Mainly because of bad experiences with people who can't even be bothered to get the WL quest gear to give them enough crit chance to actually be useful in the group, but also because their AAs will be low so they won't have the useful abilities that make a difference. But, my point still stands that skyshrine xp is as good as RoK dungeons.

It was a question.  I did know the answer, but thought I should double check in case your server/playing time was different than mine.

My point is that there are no active PUGs for low level characters.  I recognize the problem of people not bothering to do the grind to get 92/320, but they aren't posting here.  The ones posting here are the ones who DO WANT to get the levels and AA, by mentoring down instead of trying to join PUGs that don't want them.

Which isn't me btw.  I don't want to join PUGs.  I want to be able to help my friends and guildies level up.

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #124
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Regolas wrote:

Atan, I agree with your reasoning except the hate list thing. If the mentoring and encounter bonus was kept as is, and they just made it so if you get on the hate list you get solo xp not an xp split, then worst case scenario is nothing changes (like Terra originally said). If you box PL an alt, you'd get the same PL xp as current if the alt is on autofollow, but if you can get on hate list with alt you get more xp. A win win imo. You can still mentor down at 90 and solo things for the same xp as before.

No sir.  You fell for their trap.

Not getting on the hate list, you get less than half of the current xp, as you will no longer get encounter xp on the box if it is not on the hate list.

If you can get on the hate list, which is an admited hassle for some classes when your main one shots rooms of mobs, then yes you do get even more xp.  So leveling a healer, or support class will be very easy to get the bonus and the encounter xp.  Boxing an assasin will pretty much suck.

What is the reasoning in this?  Near as I can tell there is none.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #125
Regolas

Loremaster
Regolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 603
Default

Atan, You took half of my response and put it out of context. The rest of it agreed with you. Even that bolded bit agrees with you when in context of my whole post. If the encounter xp remains as is, then it's all the same or better. That's how it should be, benefit people who are involved in the group, but not penalise the ones that don't (whether thats because they're on autofollow not contributing or playing a class that can struggle to get on the hate list in time). They need to scrap the encounter penalty if you're not on the hate list or mentored down or mobs are green, but keep the rest.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #126
Tommara

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 301
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

If you can get on the hate list, which is an admited hassle for some classes when your main one shots rooms of mobs, then yes you do get even more xp.  So leveling a healer, or support class will be very easy to get the bonus and the encounter xp.  Boxing an assasin will pretty much suck.

What is the reasoning in this?  Near as I can tell there is none.

I think they are trying to close off avenues such as mentoring down and grinding Chelsith as a means for 90+ characters to get levels and AA instead of trying to find a PUG. 

Yes, I know that's a stretch since it relies on not one, but two faulty assumptions:

1.  That they can force us to do anything we don't want to do.  I was waiting to pre-order the new expansion until I learned enough about the Collector's Edition to see if it was worth buying.  Now I'm not sure I'll buy it at all because of this issue.  There are other games to play, and one of the main reasons I like EQ2 is that it hasn't mattered if I out-leveled my friends, or made bad decisions wrt to getting AA vs. exp.  I can correct those bad decisions easily as it is now.  (and actually, one of my 90 toons that's behind on AA was my first toon that was created long ago, so her lack of AA wasn't a bad decision on my part, which isn't an unusual situation for returning players).

2.  They assume that level 92/320 toons will want to group with someone who is not maxed out in level and AA.  With good reason.   My 92 paladin groups with level 90 toons often, all of whom have completed all the WL quests, so have the gear, but not the AA.  She easily out dpses all of them.  A PALLY!

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #127
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Tommara wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

If you can get on the hate list, which is an admited hassle for some classes when your main one shots rooms of mobs, then yes you do get even more xp.  So leveling a healer, or support class will be very easy to get the bonus and the encounter xp.  Boxing an assasin will pretty much suck.

What is the reasoning in this?  Near as I can tell there is none.

I think they are trying to close off avenues such as mentoring down and grinding Chelsith as a means for 90+ characters to get levels and AA instead of trying to find a PUG. 

This can be done without kicking people PLing a box in the soft bits.  They chose both to remove encounter experience while mentored AND if you didn't make the hate list.  The first part nerfs doing chelsith chrono'd for crazy xp rather than doing current content.   I can understand that to a degree, however the second part is specifically to penalize people who are PLing an alt.  That penalty I argue does hurt the game for the reasons I previously mentioned.

Encouraging top level players to play in end-game to level up is fine, I can accept that change.  I know it hurts some people who go the get level 90 asap then go back and get AA's, but their giving plenty of xp opportunities for them to correct that before this change goes live.

The second part is where I think ultimately we lose people faster if we chose to go down that path, with  no upside (that I can fathom) for having that penalty there.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #128
Tommara

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 301
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

Encouraging top level players to play in end-game to level up is fine, I can accept that change.  I know it hurts some people who go the get level 90 asap then go back and get AA's, but their giving plenty of xp opportunities for them to correct that before this change goes live.

No, they aren't.  One of my 90's is my first toon when max level and AA were much lower.  I completed a lot of the solo content when capped at level and AA so didn't get credit for it.  She's a ranger, so hasn't been one of my top priorities on "correct that before this change goes live."  As if that were my fault.  I doubt if I could with level appropriate solo content even if I wanted to, as it exists today.  From what I've read, purchasing the next expansion would be of no value to that character.  The only value to bother with leveling her is to regain the veteran bonus she currently provides.

Then there are returning players or people who don't read the forums and have no clue that there's anything  that they need to correct before these changes go live.  It's pure happenstance that I'm back in EQ2 at this time.  And I've elected to level my new beastlord instead of my 90 ranger and troubador.

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #129
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

Tommara wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

Encouraging top level players to play in end-game to level up is fine, I can accept that change.  I know it hurts some people who go the get level 90 asap then go back and get AA's, but their giving plenty of xp opportunities for them to correct that before this change goes live.

No, they aren't.  One of my 90's is my first toon when max level and AA were much lower.  I completed a lot of the solo content when capped at level and AA so didn't get credit for it.  She's a ranger, so hasn't been one of my top priorities on "correct that before this change goes live."  As if that were my fault.  I doubt if I could with level appropriate solo content even if I wanted to, as it exists today.  From what I've read, purchasing the next expansion would be of no value to that character.  The only value to bother with leveling her is to regain the veteran bonus she currently provides.

Then there are returning players or people who don't read the forums and have no clue that there's anything  that they need to correct before these changes go live.  It's pure happenstance that I'm back in EQ2 at this time.  And I've elected to level my new beastlord instead of my 90 ranger and troubador.

First, I completely empathize with where you are comming from.  But it is true if you spend a few hours this next weekend using xp pots chrono mentored to 80 and kill trash in chelsith for a few hours, you'll get the AA to advance your character.  Ultimately even if you do not do this, if you purchace the expansion you also get to potions that will insta-level your aa to 280.

So it seems, they are making ample provisions to allow characters that are 90 but under powered on AA to correct themselves before this change is live.  I did this with my templar Sunday afternoon, and in a couple hours got him the 150 aa he needed to be able to level past 90.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #130
Runebane

Loremaster
Runebane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Default

TL/DR - Was drawn in by one of your promotions, only to be turned away by seeing you guys cutting mentored xp.

Heh...  Not played in a long time, but LOL.  Not doing much with sub games at the moment.  When I have the money, I spend a lot.  But I don't right now.  Stuff happens.  

I maxed out the last of my 'mains' in the game I was playing just yesterday.  Like some cosmic coincidense today I got an email advertising EQ2s new Kronos today.  That email enticed me to the forums.  I thought, maybe it might be worth grinding the plat to pay the sub fee.  So I came here (to the forum) looking for details.  Before I even read a thread about that I am drawn to this one about EXP changes.

One thing I liked to do in EQ2 was to grind my way up to a higher level then mentor down and run through every zone and dungeon I know about.  When I dropped my sub I stopped playing because I couldn't adjust the AA slider on my alts anymore.  My gear popping off my mains was annoying, but it was limitations on how I could play my characters that made me lose interest.  Now that I can buy a sub with ingame plat, you guys are cutting the experience to mentored players?  ROFL.  No thanks.  I think I just dodged a bullet here.  Hope you guys get your stuff together.  I really do like this game a lot, so I'm sure I'll come back later and see how it turns out.  Later.

Runebane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #131
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

Bottom line from what i've seen on test, you will go from 92 to 95 in Chelsith/Sebelis/whatever in 5-6 hours more or less.

People playing 'normally' that aren't ae tanks will get less xp than the ae tank.

This will encourage bad behavior as people will try and get ashot in on 'everything' regardless of what is 'safe'.

Quest XP is still abusmally low and playing the current areas is STILL the least efficient way to level.

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #132
Tommara

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 301
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

First, I completely empathize with where you are comming from.  But it is true if you spend a few hours this next weekend using xp pots chrono mentored to 80 and kill trash in chelsith for a few hours, you'll get the AA to advance your character.  Ultimately even if you do not do this, if you purchace the expansion you also get to potions that will insta-level your aa to 280.

So it seems, they are making ample provisions to allow characters that are 90 but under powered on AA to correct themselves before this change is live.  I did this with my templar Sunday afternoon, and in a couple hours got him the 150 aa he needed to be able to level past 90.

The only value my 90 ranger and troub have is for the vet bonus, so I'm better off using this time to level my beastlord while I have the vet bonus (I have 3 other level 90 toons on another server on the same account, so the vet bonus is substantial).   The beastlord has a better chance of finding groups and still has a lot of unfinished quests to complete to ease the grind to 95.  However, the ranger has 235 AA and the troub 285, so if I do get the expansion, I might get them to 95 (on the server I'm currently playing.  The other 3 will be abandoned, and certainly won't waste the AA potions on any of them).  Fortunately, they both are already level 92 crafters, and my husband has two toons in the same boat (90 adv level/92 crafters, old toons who need to grind AA, both over 200 AA now).  He's not much one for grinding, so hasn't bothered to get any of his toons to 92, which takes some grinding to do.   It's not really an immediate problem for me, especially if I can talk him into playing (which he hasn't done since I told him the bad news).  When I get bored with soloing, well, I've been wanting to try the new changes in Anarchy Online.

I just worry about the future of the game since most of us currently playing seem to be alt-aholics or returning players.

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #133
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin
Rank: Officer

Loremaster
Avianna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 435
Default

In short this is saying if you decide you want to mentor wether to help out a friend or to just go visit a lower lvl dungeon for fun or even if you wanna do our fabulous Chronomage questline. If you decide you wanna do any of that we are gonna screw you out of XP. Have a good day and that will be another $15 please.

I'm telling you GW2 is sounding more appealing everyday.

__________________
Avianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #134
Mermut

Loremaster
Mermut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 852
Default

I like the idea that somebody participating in the group gets more xp then the auto-following afk toon. I'm just a bit worried how it will actually work in game given many of the senarios people have mentioned.

__________________
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, But not hang it by the neck until dead.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #135
Tommara

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 301
Default

[email protected] wrote:

In short this is saying if you decide you want to mentor wether to help out a friend or to just go visit a lower lvl dungeon for fun or even if you wanna do our fabulous Chronomage questline. If you decide you wanna do any of that we are gonna screw you out of XP. Have a good day and that will be another $15 please.

I'm telling you GW2 is sounding more appealing everyday.

I was looking forward to GW2, but after what NCSoft did to City of Heroes, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/1...of-heroes-fans/

Edited note:  I did try The Secret World instead, which is a very interesting concept, like this website is really just a Funcom plant for TSW:  http://orochi-group.com/ , which gives clues for solving an in-game quest.  But best to approach it as you would a single player game. i.e., once through, game over.  Then come back to home to EQ2 as I did.  And Diablo III before that.  And SWTOR before that.  And Rift before that.  And Minecraft.  And OpenSim.  etc.

There's no place like home. 

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:17 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.