EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
totti72

Loremaster

I think Race Transformer that allows to switch to another Race and back would be a great thing to everyone.

After buying Race Potion its only possible to change the Race back if you buy another Potion ,this is much to expensive and most people are not buying more than one but with a Transformer some will do it and this would be a win/win situation.

SOE sells more Potions and players could have more Races for selected Characters.

It could works like AA Mirror that switch Race and Character Development.

I like this Idea and hope more People do it too.

totti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Race change potions are expensive precisely because they want to dissuade people from flip-flopping races all the time. You're not supposed to be able to switch races on a lark, choice of race is integral to your character and should be carefully considered. The race change potions are offered at a significant cost so that only people who are seriously dissatisfied with their character will be willing to use them.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
thesiren

Loremaster

No offense to anyone here, but practically every time I have come to these boards for months now, there is always someone in general asking for something else to be added to the cash shop. 

ROFL!

It's hilarious how some arbitrary line is drawn in the sand concerning separating Extended, despite this constant influx of new cash shop requests.

It never ceases to amaze me, this stuff.

Okay, carry on.  I just had to get that out.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Eugam

Loremaster

There is race appearance in game since like forever.

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
Oink
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Petitioned

Loremaster

How about a Transformer race instead?  Cash in on cross-promotions with Paramount.

Oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Cloudrat

Tester

totti72 wrote:

I think Race Transformer that allows to switch to another Race and back would be a great thing to everyone.

After buying Race Potion its only possible to change the Race back if you buy another Potion ,this is much to expensive and most people are not buying more than one but with a Transformer some will do it and this would be a win/win situation.

SOE sells more Potions and players could have more Races for selected Characters.

It could works like AA Mirror that switch Race and Character Development.

I like this Idea and hope more People do it too.

I like the idea although, although once a rat , you won't go back hehe

Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #7
Amitee

Loremaster

Nah, nah, nah, nah!  We have plenty of race change stuff in and out of the game!  

What you -should- be requesting is CLASS reset. =P  Man, I'd love to swap out my character classes because I just "picked a class" to raise a crafter.  But years later, choices change and I don't want to play any of my 3 shaman!  But darned if I'm going to delete a high level jeweler, provisioner or carpenter.

Ohh, I think I sort of derailed the thread.

Carry on!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
Hamervelder

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Race change potions are expensive precisely because they want to dissuade people from flip-flopping races all the time. You're not supposed to be able to switch races on a lark, choice of race is integral to your character and should be carefully considered. The race change potions are offered at a significant cost so that only people who are seriously dissatisfied with their character will be willing to use them.

I hope that you don't truly believe that.  The truth is much more likely to be that SOE simply wants to make money.  By ascribing the price to some decision by SOE to impose restriction of choice on players via the price of marketplace items, you're looking for an ulterior motive where there is none to be found.

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #9
Balino

Loremaster

Thats a great idea, i can´t belive  that some people dislike it, how snotty.

If you not want it just don´t use it.

Balino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

The_Cheeseman wrote:

I hope that you don't truly believe that.  The truth is much more likely to be that SOE simply wants to make money.  By ascribing the price to some decision by SOE to impose restriction of choice on players via the price of marketplace items, you're looking for an ulterior motive where there is none to be found.

And who is to say that they couldn't make even more money by lowering the price of the race change potion? Lowering the price would increase demand, and as the OP clearly illustrates, there are people out there who would buy multiples if they were less expensive. There is no real way for us to tell one way or the other, but I prefer to consider such possibilities before making cynical assumptions.

Besides, I am pretty sure I recall SOE actually saying in the past that services like race changes and server transfers are priced higher specifically to dissuade people from using them arbitrarily. That's why I made the above post.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Balino wrote:

That is not a terribly strong argument. It's not being snotty, it's a matter of caring about the health of the game. EQ2 is a community-based game, and the player's emotional investment into his avatar is part of what keeps the community strong. Race and class are both significant aspects of a character's identity, and if such aspects are altered, it creates an emotional disconnect between the player and his avatar. When core aspects of a character's identity can be altered on a whim, they become meaningless and make the entire game that much more homogenous and impersonal.

Limitations breed creativity. Sometimes giving people more options isn't actually an improvement.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Gorpier

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Balino wrote:

That is not a terribly strong argument. It's not being snotty, it's a matter of caring about the health of the game. EQ2 is a community-based game, and the player's emotional investment into his avatar is part of what keeps the community strong. Race and class are both significant aspects of a character's identity, and if such aspects are altered, it creates an emotional disconnect between the player and his avatar. When core aspects of a character's identity can be altered on a whim, they become meaningless and make the entire game that much more homogenous and impersonal.

Limitations breed creativity. Sometimes giving people more options isn't actually an improvement.

I fully agree with this.  I recently (in the last 6 months) did a race change on my long time main character.  After years of playing as a Halfling, I race changed to Ratonga and it was like playing a completely new character.  It didn't feel right for quite some time.  I realized then that changing races costs more than just the 20 bucks it costs for the potion.  As much as I like Ratonga, I don't love my character as much as I did before the change.  That may sound odd, but...*shrug*

Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

I also had a similar experience. I have been playing my main character, Argond, as a human monk since the pre-Kunark days of EQ1--so over a decade now. When race change potions became available, I decided to change to Kerran because I have always wanted Tracking (and because my pet cat of 16 years had just died, and I wanted to commemorate her passing). However, not being a human anymore was so jarring that I couldn't handle it. I tried using a human illusion full-time, but it didn't work out well and felt really odd. In the end, I eventually ended up buying a second race change potion to return Argond to a human.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Brigh

Loremaster

I thought this thread was about having an Aether racing transformer mount. That would certainly be something more than meets the eye.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
Klive
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Mistmoore Eternal Knights

Loremaster

Glad I didn't see you in kerran, Argond. Would have blown my mind. You have always been the white-haired, gentleman monk to me.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
Balino

Loremaster

Gorpier wrote:

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Balino wrote:

I fully agree with this.  I recently (in the last 6 months) did a race change on my long time main character.  After years of playing as a Halfling, I race changed to Ratonga and it was like playing a completely new character.  It didn't feel right for quite some time.  I realized then that changing races costs more than just the 20 bucks it costs for the potion.  As much as I like Ratonga, I don't love my character as much as I did before the change.  That may sound odd, but...*shrug*

The Ability to change your Race is already ingame and a Transformer will only add option to switch it to everyone who like to try new Races ,Looks or Abilitys.

If you dislike your new choice and you want to change it back the Transformer will be your friend.

The Identification with your Character is a RPG part of the Game but its everyones own decision if  its important or not for you .

Balino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Glad I didn't see you in kerran, Argond. Would have blown my mind. You have always been the white-haired, gentleman monk to me.

See, there ya go. Changing your race really does affect people besides yourself! And thanks, Teazle! SMILEY

Old 10-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
totti72

Loremaster

My first intention was to be able switch to another Race for short period of time , some Races have harvesting reduction and if i em going to harvest for 2-3h each week i would be glad to take another Race but it not makes sense to use portion every time or keep race you dont want always play only for this work.

totti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #19
thephantomposter

Loremaster

I thought this was a post asking about a Transformer race as in from the movie Transformers, carry on my mistake SMILEY

thephantomposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #20
retro_guy

Loremaster

Gorpier wrote:

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Balino wrote:

If used right the race change potions add greatly to your character.

My main (since launch) has been a High Elf Conj, but over the years she has gotten darker and darker. She handed in robes for light armour suits. Discared capes for a set of Tattered wings. It became clear that she would now be better suited to a vampire race. 

I've been much happer with her since.