EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Renita_Serafim

Loremaster

OK, I know they're a Neriak House that drank from the Ewer of Fyr'Un and became vampires, then got exiled by Queen Christianos for it. Apart from that though, I'm clueless as to when in EQ history all this was supposed to have taken place. Anyone able to fill me in on the fine details?
Renita_Serafim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Tarkin-Wretch

id like to learn more about this as well so ill bump it.
Tarkin-Wretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Rodric1

Loremaster

Me too!!!
Rodric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Cusashorn

Loremaster

As far as EQlive goes, they never existed, thats all I can say...
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
IrishWonder

Loremaster

Technically, Cusashorn is right... they didn't exist in EQLive. However, the time that they first became known dates back to pre-EQLive times.

D'Morte allied himself with the City of Life, Ahket Ahken, before it became the city of undeath as we see it today. The elves that inhabited the city, the Sul'Dal, presumably branched off of the original Elddar Elves of old Antonica. We know from in-game lore that the city of Ahket Ahken was once surrounded by forests, and since it now lies in the Desert of Ro, we can only assume that that forest was the Elddar Forest. This would date the first mentions of the D'Morte bloodline back way before EQLive and the Age of Turmoil.... back before the Serpentspine Mountains were risen, the fall of Takish'Hiz, and the exodus of the elven race.

D'Morte found the Ewer, and for some reason or another he was exiled from Neriak because of it. He allied himself with the Sul'Dal and was allowed residence within the City of Life in exchange for the Sul'Dal's use of the Ewer, who praised it's power to grant "eternal life" alongside their worship of Anashti Sul, Goddess of Undeath... Immortality... Zombie Brains... y'know... etc....

From in-game text, we know that D'Morte allied with a priestess within the City of Life, and together they began performing some pretty nasty rituals in secrecy. I'm not sure if it is ever revealed exactly what these rituals were, but I recall some text stating that they were... fairly bloody.

Eventually, some great catastrophe struck the lands. It doesn't state exactly what this was, but I come to the assumption that it was the curse of Ro, and the raising of the Serpentspine Mountains. The inhabitants of the City of Life were told by their Godking that they would be protected from the disaster by their Goddess, Anashti Sul (a lot of this is obtained from the Peacock quest line, specifically during the first few quests within Ahket Ahken... lighting the torches, etc.) Soon, the power of the Ewer was unleashed, and as it turns out *gasp* its power was more of an "eternal undeath" than "eternal life." Ahket Ahken became what we know it as today... a ruined city buried beneath the sands of Ro and inhabited by the mindless undead of the now extinct Sul'Dal race.

Why D'Morte still haunts those halls.... I'm not completely sure. He wants the Ewer back, and he thinks you're good enough to get it for him (if you complete the Peacock quest line, you actually end up destroying the Ewer before its evil can be released upon Norrath again.) However, he also shows up in the Ahket Ahken raid zone, and unfortunately the lore for that zone wasn't done well enough to actually follow... and most of the things that take place there (or seem to take place) don't make sense. Perhaps he's there to finish off the rituals that he started ages ago? Who knows? Probably only the vicarious vicar of the volumes that vastly vivify our diverse and variant Norrath.... Vhalen

OMG THAT MOVIE ROCKS!

Shadowreap Deathbane, The First Dark Elf Conjuror on Guk
troopsofdoom.com - VIDEOS OF RAID MOBS!!! Nexona, Trakanon, Wuoshi, and more!
IrishWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
KniteShayd

Loremaster

hmm, the d'morte line extending back to the elddar.  this could raise many possibilities in game.

interesting, interesting indeed.
KniteShayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:23 AM   #7
Kyvthuhlu

Loremaster

hmm, the d'morte line extending back to the elddar.  this could raise many possibilities in game.

Many of the curent, prominent Elven families, both Dark and Light, are extensions of Elddarians.

House Thex was a major house in ancient Elddar if all can be assumed as such.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:12 AM   #8
Cusashorn

Loremaster

The Thex bloodline is ONLY royal bloodline of the elves.

The first King and Queen were named Thex. Innoruuk stole them away and tortured them into the first Dark Elves.

Thex's brother took over as the king of the Elves and its been that way for both Dark Elves and High Elves ever since (don't know about the Wood Elves though.)
Old 08-26-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
Kyvthuhlu

Loremaster

I could've sworn it was in the Ardathium story line but it appears it was not...

The only evidence in EQ1 I can find to support that there were other kings and queens than the Thexes is in Elddar Forest, and because that's not a canon zone for EQ 2, I will have to agree that, for the time being, as far as EQ 2 is concerned, Thex is the royal family, though I would be curious if there is any documentation officially labeling Naythox and Tearis as brothers.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:27 AM   #10
Cusashorn

Loremaster

They arn't brothers. They're cousins. Neither Naythox or Tearis are the first king for each race.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:31 AM   #11
Kyvthuhlu

Loremaster

I misunderstood what you were saying then, my apologies.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
KniteShayd

Loremaster

Kyvthuhlu wrote:

Many of the curent, prominent Elven families, both Dark and Light, are extensions of Elddarians.

that i know, i'm just saying i wonder what possibilities this could rase lore wise/event and quest wise with cross expansion stuff.
KniteShayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
IrishWonder

Loremaster

Kyvthuhlu wrote:

Yes, technically all elves are extensions of the Elddar Elves in one way or another. What I was getting at (and what I believe Knightshayd meant), is that the Sul'Dal were a direct splinter of the Elddar Elves... not just ancestors. They existed at the same time of the Elddar Elves, long before the Koada'Dal and Fier'dal existed. Since the D'Morte family had dealings with these elves, it would make the existence of Vampires, namely the D'Morte line, very very old.

Pre-dating Mayong Mistmoore? /shrug .... Not sure if there are any clues in EQ1 that may hint at exactly how old he is....

Old 08-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Cusashorn

Loremaster

as far as EQlive goes, the Sul'Dae elves never existed. I can't speak for EQOA though. Again, I'm talking technically. Never mentioned. Never shown.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
IrishWonder

Loremaster

Completely correct..... fortunately for us, we're playing EQ2, and these are the EQ2 boards :smileywink:

Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #16
Tarkin-Wretch

i believe what hes trying to say is, you wont find any info on d'morte from eqlive so your only source of info is in eq2.  eqoa might have some info on the family but i dont think it would apply unless a dev says it does.

from what i understand the d'morte family is the oldest of the known vampire lines.  as far as mayong is concerned, i dont think they have ever really came out with any specific details of his past or origin in any eq, although the p&p has the most info of all.  how did castle mistmoore come to be?  is that his family name?  were any of his family vampires?  there are 2 places in echoes of faydwer that i hope to revisit, castle mistmoore and estate of unrest.  hopefully we will get more info on mayong with this expansion.
Tarkin-Wretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #17
Nocturnal Aby

General

In the Maps of Myrist atlas for EQ, the background for Castle Mistmoore states that the Castle, and the beleived builder of it, "Mayong, Lord of Mistmoore, who has lived well over ten thousand years" existed in that spot before the Elves fled Tunaria (Antonica), and before the dwarves had seen the light of the Norrathian sun.  It also comments on how all the denizens of the castle, as well as the portraits of the nobleman found throughout the castle, are Teir'Dal.  It has also been confirmed by the devs that Mayong was to marry Tserrina Syl'Tor, of the Tower of Frozen Shadow.  That was one of the most recently confirmed mentions of Mayong in EQ (that is still officially part of EQ2 history, Depths of Darkhollow, and all that is not confirmed to be part of EQ2), as the Tower itself has only existed for a number of decades in Velious.  A wedding party, brutally murdered can be found within the tower, and it is rumored that Mayong's abandonment of Tserrina is what drove her to the mass murder that can be found inside the Tower's halls.

The Caverns under Mistmoore that house various Vampire factions and the Drachnids of Kunark (half Teir'Dal, half spider) are also the handiwork of Mayong Mistmoore.  I also believe that he may have had something to do with thwWidowmistress who lived in Najena, but that is pure speculation on my part, based on something Vhalen said in a post on Najena.

It will be interesting to see if the Vampire Lord turns up again, and to learn what ties, if any, he has to House D'Morte

Endless Source of Useless Information
Nocturnal Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #18
Vhalen

Developer

House D'Morte's seeds were sown in EQLive. Early on, pieces of their story began to appear within Neriak, namely, The Lodge of the Dead. Although their story was never fully told, the roots existed. There is a portion of old Neriak that used to hold their original villa and the agents charged with the ongoing hunt of the vampire house could be found.

Although Bloodline Chronicles holds a chapter or two of the saga of House D'Morte, it does not tell all. Unknown to most is the story of the chateau in the land of frost and ice. There rests a chapter of their lives that followed the great escape from Neriak. Only in such a hostile land could some of the D'Morte's hide from the slayers of The Dead.

Over time, the D'Morte's began to embrace their affliction. They even began a family holiday.

"Libation"
This “holiday” is in dedication of the event to which all the D`Morte house was turned into vampires. The typical D`Morte celebration on this day is a gathering in a grand hall they call the blood chamber. Here the elder of the house recites a history of the D`Morte saga, detailing its beginning, its trials, and its current status. During this recitation, lesser minions or prisoners are bled dry. After the recitation the results of the bleeding are imbibed by the D`Morte clan. A grand ball is held afterwards and often rages on until the edge of dawn. To the few "guests" that have gazed upon this site and (un)lived, they refer to this as "The Blood Ball". To House D'Morte, this is "Libation."

The tragic tale of the D'Morte's is related to Mistmoore's origins. That is evident to those that can piece the puzzle together properly. Sometime in the future we will see more pieces to that puzzle appear in the world of Norrath.

Vhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #19
ke'la

Loremaster

Vhalen wrote:

House D'Morte's seeds were sown in EQLive. Early on, pieces of their story began to appear within Neriak, namely, The Lodge of the Dead. Although their story was never fully told, the roots existed. There is a portion of old Neriak that used to hold their original villa and the agents charged with the ongoing hunt of the vampire house could be found.

Although Bloodline Chronicles holds a chapter or two of the saga of House D'Morte, it does not tell all. Unknown to most is the story of the chateau in the land of frost and ice. There rests a chapter of their lives that followed the great escape from Neriak. Only in such a hostile land could some of the D'Morte's hide from the slayers of The Dead.

Over time, the D'Morte's began to embrace their affliction. They even began a family holiday.

"Libation"
This “holiday” is in dedication of the event to which all the D`Morte house was turned into vampires. The typical D`Morte celebration on this day is a gathering in a grand hall they call the blood chamber. Here the elder of the house recites a history of the D`Morte saga, detailing its beginning, its trials, and its current status. During this recitation, lesser minions or prisoners are bled dry. After the recitation the results of the bleeding are imbibed by the D`Morte clan. A grand ball is held afterwards and often rages on until the edge of dawn. To the few "guests" that have gazed upon this site and (un)lived, they refer to this as "The Blood Ball". To House D'Morte, this is "Libation."

The tragic tale of the D'Morte's is related to Mistmoore's origins. That is evident to those that can piece the puzzle together properly. Sometime in the future we will see more pieces to that puzzle appear in the world of Norrath.

Bloodlines Part 2 adventure pack maybe?

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 AM   #20
LordPengu

More likely, the losre mentioned will be part of EoF. Just a hunch, as Castle Mistmoor is part of the expansion.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:33 AM   #21
Vollux

Loremaster

And Castle Mistmoore has a Grand Ballroom that looks just right for that type of Ball. 
Vollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #22
Creppie

Loremaster

Land of frost and Ice?   Tower of Frozen Shadow perhaps and the Vampiress that lives there?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #23
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Creppie wrote:
Land of frost and Ice?   Tower of Frozen Shadow perhaps and the Vampiress that lives there?

Everfrost.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #24
Creppie

Loremaster

Hmm.  I did forget about one of the family members laying up there in Everfrost.  I wonder what conection if any the vampiress in the tower of frozen shawdow had with D'Morte or Mistmoore then.  I recall paintings of Mistmoore in that zone.

Message Edited by Creppie on 09-06-2006 08:34 AM

Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #25
RaphaNissi

The Athenaeum

Creppie wrote:
Hmm.  I did forget about one of the family members laying up there in Everfrost.  I wonder what conection if any the vampiress in the tower of frozen shawdow had with D'Morte or Mistmoore then.  I recall paintings of Mistmoore in that zone.

Message Edited by Creppie on 09-06-2006 08:34 AM

Mistmoore was supposed to wed Tserinna.  I believe he turned her into a vampire, gave her the tower, and stodd her up.  She went on a rampage and the Tower stays in the setting of her wedding day.  (My favorite level was the 5th floor Wedding).

Message Edited by RaphaNissi on 09-06-2006 11:13 AM

Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #26
Vollux

Loremaster

Vhalen wrote:

I think House X' Lottl from EQLive became House D'Morte.  They had a villa on the lake in 3rd gate. Many members of the family were on 'the dead' faction which was odd for wizards. 

And the symbol that is some how related  to a new mystery was imprinted on the floor of a alcove leading to their Villa. 

the same could be said about the House J'Narus (12 on the map)  but that house didn't dabble in the same poor faction pool as House X'Lottl (11).

Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #27
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Vollux wrote:

And the symbol that is some how related  to a new mystery was imprinted on the floor of a alcove leading to their Villa. 

That's the generic symbol of the dark elves, among other things. Nothing special about it that relates to the D'Morte family.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #28
Kyvthuhlu

Loremaster

It would be hard for me to believe that the Second? House of Neriak would suddenly merge and turn into a vampiric house.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #29
Vhalen

Developer

You may be on to something if you think there is another name associated with House D'Morte during the chapter of their story in Neriak. But X'Lottl is not it.

House X'Lottl is one of the oldest houses in Neriak and its members were adept in wizardry. This house was long noted for producing great wizards. This honor made them one of the most prestigious houses for centuries, until House J'Narus arrived. House J'Narus is the preeminent necromantic house of Neriak. The members of The Dead often spawn from this house as do some of the most famous and infamous figures in Neriak history.

With necromancy fast becoming the favored form of the arcane, Pannis X'Lottl decreed that all new members of the house shall be trained in necromantic arts. This was his plot to regain the highest favor of the royal house and defend against exile from the noble district of Neriak. What became of his plot may never be known unless we find a way back to the darkness of Neriak.

Vhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #30
Vollux

Loremaster

Thanks for the information!  I'll keep digging through my dusty notes. 

I'm disappointed it isn't the X'Lottl house but mainly because I miss Mare X'Lottl and would love to see what became of her line.  How a member of a prominent Neriak family ended up table dancing in the Maiden's Fancy has tickled my curiosity for years.