EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Maergoth

Loremaster

I've been itching to dig into this for a while now but heavily occupied with other things. I find the time to search the forums and there is close to nothing about it.. What do we know about The Mana flow around Norrath? It's been mentioned a few times, but I don't even know if I understood it correctly or where I saw it to see if it's even real, probably just my bad memory slurring words SMILEY

Jaraxx tells you, 'Why did you die? Man up. Ask for DI from your priests'

You tell Jaraxx, 'I had a "save" running..'

http://tinyurl.com/PaladinFeedback
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Cusashorn

Loremaster

The Mana Flow? What the heck is that? Sounds like Final Fantasy 7 to me.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Vhalen

Developer

I do not know where you have heard of the Mana Flow, but it does exist. It is part of the universal mechanics known as Dimensions. The Void is another dimension you may have heard of.

Very little is known about the realms called Dimensions. Of the scholars that have begun to study them, they all agree that dimensions are endless spans of space that touch upon every single point in reality. They are a part of everything in the EverQuest II Universe. These are utilitarian realms that are a created through the existence of all the known planes. Dimensions keep reality grounded. They occupy the same space as everything, but are in an adjacent time and/ or space that cannot be fully accessed by matter originating from other realities. From these vast alternate dimensions exists the ability to travel from any time to any time or from any point in the universe to any other point in the universe- should you know the way and means.

As for the Mana Flow, it is also called the Arcanum. The Arcanum is the essence of all magic. As such, it is a part of and touches everything, everywhere and every being. This dimension is filled with both majestic and violent maelstroms of mana. No foreign planar corporeal being can exist within this environment and usually must anchor its body down to a plane and venture into Arcanum in a non-corporeal form. There is life in this alien environment. Islands of various matter float within the intense beautiful haze of mana and can be inhabited by creatures of corporeal form native to this dimension. Some of these creatures have found ways onto the other realms, but they also must take on non-corporeal forms to do so. Emanating from this world is something called the Arcane Calendar. The Arcane Calendar can be referenced in the Time section of the Planes and Deity manual created by the Academy of Arcane Science.

Vhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Ama

General

Vhalen wrote:

I do not know where you have heard of the Mana Flow, but it does exist. It is part of the universal mechanics known as Dimensions. The Void is another dimension you may have heard of.

Very little is known about the realms called Dimensions. Of the scholars that have begun to study them, they all agree that dimensions are endless spans of space that touch upon every single point in reality. They are a part of everything in the EverQuest II Universe. These are utilitarian realms that are a created through the existence of all the known planes. Dimensions keep reality grounded. They occupy the same space as everything, but are in an adjacent time and/ or space that cannot be fully accessed by matter originating from other realities. From these vast alternate dimensions exists the ability to travel from any time to any time or from any point in the universe to any other point in the universe- should you know the way and means.

As for the Mana Flow, it is also called the Arcanum. The Arcanum is the essence of all magic. As such, it is a part of and touches everything, everywhere and every being. This dimension is filled with both majestic and violent maelstroms of mana. No foreign planar corporeal being can exist within this environment and usually must anchor its body down to a plane and venture into Arcanum in a non-corporeal form. There is life in this alien environment. Islands of various matter float within the intense beautiful haze of mana and can be inhabited by creatures of corporeal form native to this dimension. Some of these creatures have found ways onto the other realms, but they also must take on non-corporeal forms to do so. Emanating from this world is something called the Arcane Calendar. The Arcane Calendar can be referenced in the Time section of the Planes and Deity manual created by the Academy of Arcane Science.

O boy now I got a whole new thing to look around in dealing with EQ2 theoretical physics. SMILEY

What I get from the Third part "No foreign planar corporeal being can exist within this environment and usually must anchor its body down to a plane and venture into Arcanum in a non-corporeal form" is deitys cannot venture into Norrath and must use "Avatars" instead.  These avatars act like puppets containing 1/100th or maybe 1/20th *max* of said deity's power. 

This would give some good reasons as to why npcs have seen "deitys" without really seeing them.  If a deity did come to Norrath it could possibly warp what we know as reality hurting "The Arcanum" as it is called.

Also I have to ask are the utilitarian spires tied into "The Arcanum" harnessing some complex Arcane magics for teleportation purposes?  Could explain why we always see an Erudite stationed at the spires like gate keys. 

Old 06-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
Iagan the Swart

General

I seem to recall the Shadowed Man L&L stating that shadowed men were creatures of the Mana Flow.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Ama

General

Iagan the Swarthy wrote:
I seem to recall the Shadowed Man L&L stating that shadowed men were creatures of the Mana Flow.
I'll go in and check my library but I usually don't take a whole heck of alot of stock in L&L books.  Some can be just stories with others having a little hint of truth imho.  If the Shadowedmen were indeed created from the Mana Flow then we would have to discuss who is equal to who dealing with them and the evil eyes.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Amana wrote:
If the Shadowedmen were indeed created from the Mana Flow then we would have to discuss who is equal to who dealing with them and the evil eyes.
¬_¬ No we wouldn't.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Ama

General

Cusashorn wrote:
Amana wrote:
If the Shadowedmen were indeed created from the Mana Flow then we would have to discuss who is equal to who dealing with them and the evil eyes.
¬_¬ No we wouldn't.
SMILEY don't start Cusashorn. SMILEY
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
troodon

Loremaster

Amana wrote:

What I get from the Third part "No foreign planar corporeal being can exist within this environment and usually must anchor its body down to a plane and venture into Arcanum in a non-corporeal form" is deitys cannot venture into Norrath and must use "Avatars" instead. 

The Marr twins both "ventured" into Norrath in their actual form.  Mithaniel was imprisoned and Erollisi was impregnated

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
Cusashorn

Loremaster

troodon wrote:
Amana wrote:

What I get from the Third part "No foreign planar corporeal being can exist within this environment and usually must anchor its body down to a plane and venture into Arcanum in a non-corporeal form" is deitys cannot venture into Norrath and must use "Avatars" instead. 

The Marr twins both "ventured" into Norrath in their actual form.  Mithaniel was imprisoned and Erollisi was impregnated

By Mithanial Marr's spirit no less. [Removed for Content]! [Removed for Content]! It's the Best! Put your goddess sister to the test!

Amana wrote:

Cusashorn wrote:
Amana wrote:
¬_¬ No we wouldn't.
SMILEY don't start Cusashorn. SMILEY
I won't if you wont.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
Nocturnal Aby

General

What I think they mean by "anchor" is that the most accessible means of traversing this plane would be astral projection, where your body in anchored in Norraths time/place reality, and you project your consciousness into the Mana Flow.  Or, I suppose it could be similar to the Djinn, who require objects (lamps, boxes, bottles, etc) to anchor them to this plane as well.  From my understanding of magic, an achor is simply a device that brings you back to your reality.  The easiest, as I mentioned, being your body.  Other types of anchors could be some simple little charm, or tool that holds some sort of meaning, and which, again, you can use to aid you by guiding you back to your reality.

I wonder if this Arcanum has any connection to the Karma Pool mentioned by one of the mages in the Tower of the Oracles in Antonica.

Endless Source of Useless Information
Nocturnal Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
Jait

Loremaster

I'm taking down names that I plan on ignoring the next time they make 15 posts in any thread regarding the Mana Flow or Shadowed Men.  SMILEY

It's mentioned extensively in the "Origin of Shadowed Men".  It's also has some of the answers regarding "Anchors" that you're looking for.  But like most Lore, it's open to interpretation, so you can all decide for yourselves what you think.  One funny thing though, most of you are likely directly connected to the Mana Flow via your weightless bags SMILEY

Jait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
KindredHeart

Loremaster

From these vast alternate dimensions exists the ability to travel from any time to any time or from any point in the universe to any other point in the universe- should you know the way and means.

(Totally kidding because I realize it will never happen)...but wouldn't it be fun if a few years from now the devs open up portals that will permit you to travel through time to EQ1, and vise versa.  Would be an interesting thing indeed if they were to merge the two game environments in that way.  You'd have to travel through the portal completely naked of course...but would be funny and fun all at the same time.

Guild Leader - Devil's Rejects (Guk Server)

http://gukrejects.guildportal.com

KindredHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
DrkVsr

Loremaster

How would that work? There are no Beastlords in EQII (thank the Lords SMILEY) and no Assassins in EQLive
Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #15
Siogai

Loremaster

So... This is, basically, The Warp. Put a big, glowing psychic signature floating off in one corner of it, fly your ship by it, and call it the Astronomicon.
usually must anchor its body down to a plane and venture into Arcanum in a non-corporeal form.
I like the "usually" bit, implying that this either has been, will be or could be an untrue statement, and physical bodies *can* enter the Warp, er, the Arcanum.
Some of these creatures have found ways onto the other realms, but they also must take on non-corporeal forms to do so.
Wonder if they need hosts- er, anchors as well.
Siogai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #16
KindredHeart

Loremaster

How would that work? There are no Beastlords in EQII (thank the Lords SMILEY) and no Assassins in EQLive

Easy...Beastlords and Assassins wouldn't be capable of the trip.  Not a problem though since you can have alts in this game.  This would also happen for Fae, and Sarnaks (when they come into the game).

Alternatively, everyone passing through the portal would have to experience the world around them one way (meaning that the first time you pass through the portal a permanent personae is automatically assigned to you [past life / future life]).  No biggie SMILEY  Like all things roleplaying and fantasy game...just requires a bit of imagination.

Guild Leader - Devil's Rejects (Guk Server)

http://gukrejects.guildportal.com

KindredHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Borlok

Loremaster

In EQL, didn't Mata Muram and his group hop from place to place within the universe, conquering as they went?  Perhaps that is an example of "usually they have to anchor".

Although many people criticized Luclin and the lore that went with it (I distinctly remember one of my friends, after he was told about the expansion back then, saying "Cats...on the moon.  Ok.&quotSMILEY, I think an excellent expansion would be another planet that the known deities visited and populated.  Heck, maybe that's what they were doing while they were gone.  Imagine an entirely different brood of dragons, different creations from each deity, etc.

---Borlok

Borlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #18
Saroc_Luclin

Loremaster

hehe if you were able to go back into the EQLive times, you would have access to a portal to an even earlier time (to the Elddaar forest. SMILEY ) I would imagine Druzzil Ro's plane of magic would touch extensively on this Mana Flow, more so than most of the planes. (Oh and though Fey aren't a playable race, they are a global illusion so Fae PC characters are available in EQLive via illusions. SMILEY Sarnak are another matter though, as would be the Drakkin and the Ratonga)
Saroc_Luclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #19
Borlok

Loremaster

Good point about the Elddar Forest!  I'd love to see that; it would probably put Faydark to shame.  I'd like to see that outpost devoted to Mithaniel Marr as well, on the outskirts of the Forest.  I forget what it's called.

---Borlok

Borlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #20
Maergoth

Loremaster

Wow, I just now remembered about this post.. haven't seen it since I started it Does anyone remember those half-faced beings of magic from the EQ1 expansion "Prophecy of Ro"? They claimed to be beings of magic.. maybe they're connected.. Would this mana flow be fueling our power supplies as beings living among it, even though we are in a different dimension?

Jaraxx tells you, 'Why did you die? Man up. Ask for DI from your priests'

You tell Jaraxx, 'I had a "save" running..'

http://tinyurl.com/PaladinFeedback
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #21
Saroc_Luclin

Loremaster

The Scrykin *shudder* PITA to fight, they have an AC debuffer that they proc constantly. SMILEY From the sounds of it, the Plane of Magic is probably one of the closest to the Mana flow (heck Arcstone/Skylance/Relic almost matches it, since it is an island floating in the plane of magic), but not quite in it. The Scrykin, as creatures created from magic may even be able to go right into the flow, but most of them have gone mad with time now anyways. SMILEY
Saroc_Luclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #22
evhallion

Loremaster

Iagan the Swarthy wrote:

Here ya go:

On the Origins of Shadowed Men

This excerpt is from "The Lore of Fauna" by Professor Romiak Justathorn of the Academy of Arcane Sciences, Republic of Freeport. The date of this particular volume is unkown. "On the Origins of Shadowed Men," by Professor Romiak Justathorn -- Being an excerpt of a longer piece, including only information as is relevant these mysterious beings' origins. Much of this information is still hotly debated at the highest circles of academia. Afterword by Pearl Honeywine. An Overview -- The Shadowed Men are an intelligent planar humanoid of evil tendencies. They are secretly operating on a multitude of worlds. They hail from a planar realm called the Void. They exist in a partial phantasmal state. They appear invisible at first and when attacking appear out of nowhere. A weird portal opens and an eerie humanoid torso break through to attack. They use both magical weapons and spoken spells from their realm. Their Origins -- Shadowed Men are first recorded to have appeared on Norrath in the Age of Turmoil. Shadowed Men are beings of the Mana Flow that appear as near-invisible beings, wielding items usually visible indicating that they are not attempting to hide but rather are unable to fully materialize within our plane of existence. Delusional trotters within the Freeport Infirmary have claimed to have journeyed to the Void and have returned with knowledge of the Shadowed Men?s existence within the Mana Flow, but in a corporeal state. These Shadowed Men appear as humanoids with shaded blurry features and four arms. There is little knowledge of the Shadowed Men, but of all I know I have come to some conclusions as to their nature. Shadowed Men hail from the Mana Flow. They appear globally and use a black obsidian monolith as means of entering our plane. These Shadow Monoliths appear in any area with Shadow Man activity. When the Shadowed Man activity ceases, the monolith vanishes. In further discussion with those few patients in the Infirmary I have deduced that the Shadowed Men have a citadel within our realm, one neither here nor there. Any entering this citadel will find no activity. Within this citadel is a means of entering a pocket of their plane of existence and turning the citadel inside out. Enter this pocket and all Shadowed Men and their true citadel shall appear before one?s very eyes. Shadowed Men have knowledge of many skills and hail from many of the known classes. Known classes of the Shadowed Men include: Monk, Warrior, Priest and Dark Art Mages. They also have special spells relating to the Mana Flow. One spell shall partially swallow up an area into the Mana Flow and thereby by making all things touched by it invisible. The items carried by these beings always dematerialize after a short time, sucked back to the dimension it is a part of. The Shadowed Men on Norrath are here under the will of a greater power from their native plane. They serve this unknown power in a search for something of great value upon our realm. Afterword -- The information presented by the very eminent Professor Justathorn includes references to items that have not been proven to exist in modern Norrath. Also, the modern reader must keep in mind that Professor Justathorn lived in a different era, one during which research such as his was quite wide-spread and thus may include concepts which were in vogue at the time but are perhaps lacking somewhat in the factual department. In any event, there is no denying that stories of the Shadowed Men persist, and so any monolith, such as the one in the Feerrott, should be approached with extreme care. Any information you may learn about Shadowed Men may be forwarded to me, Pearl Honeywine, for verification.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 PM   #23
Malokar

Loremaster

I've started reading a little bit more about the Shadowed men, the Void, and the realms. If you realize, the shadowed men don't only have obelisks on our world. They have physical obelisks on other worlds as well. I can envision adventurers being able to travel through the Obelisks and into the other realms in future live updates or expansions. Imagine, kill a couple of shadowed men, open up a portal to Obelisk of Lost Souls, wander through the zone a little bit, clickie on a portal, and boom, you're in an entirely new world, totally unlike all of Norrath. http://www.lorelibrary.com/?page=li...=book&id=26
Malokar is offline   Reply With Quote