EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Adal

BrightHub
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 78
Default

Can anyone fill me in on this god? Or know where I can find more information on him? Thanks!
__________________
~Adele Caelia~

www.adelecaelia.com

www.brighthub.com
Adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Aprio
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Nexus
Rank: Officer

Loremaster
Aprio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 16
Default

Prexus is also known as The Ocean Lord. He is allied with Rodcet Nife and enemy to Bertoxxulous. Followers of Prexus believe that true power lies in the vast depths of Norrath's oceans. They believe that eons ago life first formed in the murky deep and that one day, the oceans will rise again to consume those who are unworthy and embrace the faithful. The Oceanlord's servants tend to live and work near, on, or beneath, large bodies of water. They seek to spread the word of Prexus to all who will hear and defend the oceans and seas of Norrath against any who would cause them harm. Many sailors and fishermen are followers of Prexus.

Alignment: Neutral

 I think Erudite clerics and paladins could worship him in EQ1, but don't quote me on that.

 He also created the Kedge, but they were wiped out in the history of EQ1.

Aprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

^ Indeed, a textbook deffinition of who he is, Erudite clerics and Paladins used to worship him in Erudin in EQlive.

Prexus is only the god of Oceans, not water itself. A relatively minor and less-involved god in Norrath's history, he helped Xegony create a huge storm to sink most of the Giant's ships as they fled Antonica during the Curse of the Rathe.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Ama

General
Ama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,833
Default

For a bit of major lore and history in EQOA there was a monument to prexus.  This monument was on the newly discovered continent of Arcadin which I believe transforms into Erudin.  I would have to look up the exact inscription, but I think it falls along the lines of: "We praise Lord Prexus for safely guiding our wills to this new undiscovered land." 
__________________
Ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Vhalen

Developer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 254
Default

Prexus, the Oceanlord, had a great deal of influence on Norrath during the dawn of the ages. His greatest Norrathian creations can be traced back to the Elder Age. Although most of his children have passed on, there is widespread worship of this god on Norrath that rivals any other deity. In an era that is dominated by cataclysms, ocean travel has become a necessity for any society's survival, be they great or small. From Freeport to Mara, there are people that rely on the resources of the sea or the calm shipping lanes of the oceans. During an age of lost faith, there was a rise in the worship of the Oceanlord.

For those of you hoping to hear a bit of untold history, here you are:

In the Age of War, Freeport became the greatest trade city on Norrath. Ships from around the globe made their way to the walls of Freeport. It became the greatest marketplace known to Norrathians. This dramatic rise in trade created such things as the Norrathian Code of Trade Standards and the Overlord War Galleys for protection of trade ships. Along with these new trade tools came a new religion in Freeport, the Urchins of the Raging Tides.

Originally, the Urchins of the Raging Tides grew from a small erudite cult known as the Urchins of the Great Blue. No one is quite sure where they get their name. Many speculate they take the name because they consider themselves mischievous children of Prexus while others claim they take the name of the Sea Urchins, whose spiked body matched the shoulder guards of the Urchin crusaders. Their name may be debatable, but their purpose was clear... protect the ocean and the ocean will protect you.

As time went on, the Urchins congregation swelled as did the ports of the great trade city. Many new docks were built in other sections of the sprawling city. The rise in worshipers came at a time when deities had been absent and faith began to falter, but the Urchins numbers grew. Eventually the Urchins would build a grand cathedral near an area of Freeport known as Shoreside. Just off the coast of the affluent district of Freeport rose a grand structure, the Cathedral of the Raging Tides. This grand tower boasted the greatest amount of glass ever used on a single structure. The tower descended into the water and allowed the parishioners to gaze upon the underwater wonders while praising Prexus. The tower would stand as one of the greatest monuments in Freeport, but not forever.

The Urchins of the Raging Tide would eventually fall to their evolving radical views. They began to cause destruction to ships and ports that did not carry the blessing of their church. Records of Freeport tell the deaths of many sailors and merchants at the hands of the Urchins. They became more of a problem to Freeport's trade rather than a benefit as it was in its inception. By order of the Overlord, the Urchins were ordered to disband and all its high priests were locked up for life or executed in public. The grand cathedral off the coast of Shoreside would be destroyed, with only a few remaining artifacts kept in the vaults of Freeport. The Urchins of the Raging Tide were no more.

__________________
------
Tony "Sir Lucan" Garcia
EQII Game Designer
Vhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
Losstarot

Loremaster
Losstarot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 55
Default

I am a HUGE EverQuest history and lore buff, so thank you Vhalen for posting that bit of untold history SMILEY
Losstarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Themaginator

Loremaster
Themaginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 833
Default

Vhalen wrote:

Prexus, the Oceanlord, had a great deal of influence on Norrath during the dawn of the ages. His greatest Norrathian creations can be traced back to the Elder Age. Although most of his children have passed on, there is widespread worship of this god on Norrath that rivals any other deity. In an era that is dominated by cataclysms, ocean travel has become a necessity for any society's survival, be they great or small. From Freeport to Mara, there are people that rely on the resources of the sea or the calm shipping lanes of the oceans. During an age of lost faith, there was a rise in the worship of the Oceanlord.

For those of you hoping to hear a bit of untold history, here you are:

In the Age of War, Freeport became the greatest trade city on Norrath. Ships from around the globe made their way to the walls of Freeport. It became the greatest marketplace known to Norrathians. This dramatic rise in trade created such things as the Norrathian Code of Trade Standards and the Overlord War Galleys for protection of trade ships. Along with these new trade tools came a new religion in Freeport, the Urchins of the Raging Tides.

Originally, the Urchins of the Raging Tides grew from a small erudite cult known as the Urchins of the Great Blue. No one is quite sure where they get their name. Many speculate they take the name because they consider themselves mischievous children of Prexus while others claim they take the name of the Sea Urchins, whose spiked body matched the shoulder guards of the Urchin crusaders. Their name may be debatable, but their purpose was clear... protect the ocean and the ocean will protect you.

As time went on, the Urchins congregation swelled as did the ports of the great trade city. Many new docks were built in other sections of the sprawling city. The rise in worshipers came at a time when deities had been absent and faith began to falter, but the Urchins numbers grew. Eventually the Urchins would build a grand cathedral near an area of Freeport known as Shoreside. Just off the coast of the affluent district of Freeport rose a grand structure, the Cathedral of the Raging Tides. This grand tower boasted the greatest amount of glass ever used on a single structure. The tower descended into the water and allowed the parishioners to gaze upon the underwater wonders while praising Prexus. The tower would stand as one of the greatest monuments in Freeport, but not forever.

The Urchins of the Raging Tide would eventually fall to their evolving radical views. They began to cause destruction to ships and ports that did not carry the blessing of their church. Records of Freeport tell the deaths of many sailors and merchants at the hands of the Urchins. They became more of a problem to Freeport's trade rather than a benefit as it was in its inception. By order of the Overlord, the Urchins were ordered to disband and all its high priests were locked up for life or executed in public. The grand cathedral off the coast of Shoreside would be destroyed, with only a few remaining artifacts kept in the vaults of Freeport. The Urchins of the Raging Tide were no more.

and that city of Shoreside is now called "The Sunken City" if i recall where as a young lackey of the Overlord you help clear out the remaining followers of "the evil god"  Prexus.
Themaginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
shadowscale

Forum Dragon
shadowscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,535
Default

this brings up the question on what the ruins in the water off the north end of the map in commenlands are. was that the great glass tower or was that closer to the city. at one point there were undead there i think, but that area is empty of mobs now. same area where one of the clickys is for tartons wheel.
shadowscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Vollux

Loremaster
Vollux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 221
Default

I think Sunken City was formerly Plank's Edge. 

It wasn't Prexus who flooded it but a half elven extremist named Elwyn Aquel.  From a dialog with Inquistor Thorson on the Sunken City dock.

"When the Rending began and the Seas became impassable Freeport's habor fell on hard times.  Shipping and Trade ground to a halt and the fishing industry collapsed.  East Freeport became a ghost town, known more for its crime then for its commerce. In this climate of fear and uncertainty, a half elven extremist named Elwyn Aquel gained a following. He preached that Prexus was angry with Freeport, and only through the hard work and sacrifice of his followers would the seas calm and prosperity return.  Aquel's followers, called the Circle of Darkfathom, quickly rose in prominence among the disgruntled citizens of Plank's Edge.  Aquel promised brighter days to these desperate people on the brink of losing everything they had.

Little did the people of Plank's Edge know that they had fallen victim to a madman's scheme.   The sacrifice Aquel spoke of was a literal one:  he intended to sink Freeport to the bottom of the ocean in a twisted scheme to gain favor with Prexus.  He believed that the flood waters would wash away the city and grant him immortality in the process.

It was only as Aquel began his ritual of sacrifice that some of his followers saw through his deception.  As the ground beneath Plank's Edge began to sink and the flood waters came pouring in. some of the Darkfathom members interrupted Aquel's incantation and broke the spell.  Though Freeport was saved, it was too late for the people of Plank's Edge who drowned beneath the unholy tide.  Aquel's body was never recovered.

Thankfully the high walls around the outside of the district held strong, so damage to neighboring parts of Freeport was minimal.  Gradually the waters receded but never fully went away, leaving the area all but unlivable.  Abandoned by the city's residents, Plank's Edge is now called the Sunken City, a dagerous place haunted by the souls of those who met there doom within."

Vollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Agaxiq
Server: Unrest
Guild: Ascendant
Rank: Alts

Loremaster
Agaxiq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 552
Default

Plank's Edge = Sunken City Shoreside = The Ruins Shoreside was the elite district of Freeport, and was left vulnerable to invasions when most of the Freeport militia was defending the city from Qeynos, if I remember.  Orcs invaded Shoreside and Freeport basically abandoned it.  The orcs started to reinforce the area so Freeport decided to at least fortify parts of it to make sure they didn't expand into the sprawl. It would be really cool if they created several instances of these zones in their former glory, possibly as part of a new questline.   That way the zones as they exist now would remain unaffected, but you could at least see Norrath as it used to be. Some ideas for zones like this: Elddar Grove Kaladim The Ruins The Sprawl Sunken City Ahket Aken Nektropos Castle Ruins of Varsoon agressiv
Agaxiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:29 AM   #11
DreamerClou

General
DreamerClou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 387
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Plank's Edge = Sunken City Shoreside = The Ruins Shoreside was the elite district of Freeport, and was left vulnerable to invasions when most of the Freeport militia was defending the city from Qeynos, if I remember.  Orcs invaded Shoreside and Freeport basically abandoned it.  The orcs started to reinforce the area so Freeport decided to at least fortify parts of it to make sure they didn't expand into the sprawl. It would be really cool if they created several instances of these zones in their former glory, possibly as part of a new questline.   That way the zones as they exist now would remain unaffected, but you could at least see Norrath as it used to be. Some ideas for zones like this: Elddar Grove Kaladim The Ruins The Sprawl Sunken City Ahket Aken Nektropos Castle Ruins of Varsoon agressiv

That sounds like a great idea!

__________________
___________________

Retired Cleric of The Spires of Innoruuk



Your life is in our hands
DreamerClou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
DrkVsr

Loremaster
DrkVsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Land of the Short Brown Kiwi
Posts: 2,041
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Plank's Edge = Sunken City Shoreside = The Ruins Shoreside was the elite district of Freeport, and was left vulnerable to invasions when most of the Freeport militia was defending the city from Qeynos, if I remember.  Orcs invaded Shoreside and Freeport basically abandoned it.  The orcs started to reinforce the area so Freeport decided to at least fortify parts of it to make sure they didn't expand into the sprawl. It would be really cool if they created several instances of these zones in their former glory, possibly as part of a new questline.   That way the zones as they exist now would remain unaffected, but you could at least see Norrath as it used to be. Some ideas for zones like this: Elddar Grove Kaladim The Ruins The Sprawl Sunken City Ahket Aken Nektropos Castle Ruins of Varsoon agressiv
Elddar Grove? Why Elddar Grove?
__________________
V`Wak N`Ron: Teir`Dassin of the 56th Order, Gods of Najena
Htaed Ybdehcuotnu: Gnecro of the 40th Order, Gods of Najena
Phoendi Phyres: Eru-Din of the 28th Order, Gods of Najena
Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

Elddar Grove used to be North Qeynos, what with the Gate still there.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
DrkVsr

Loremaster
DrkVsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Land of the Short Brown Kiwi
Posts: 2,041
Default

Oh, didn't know that, will have to take a better look next time ah'm in EG (hmmm, come to think of it, the placement of the UFO to EG makes sense, but EQII Devs aren't exactely known for keeping things in it's original location, Neriak/Fallen Gate anyone? SMILEY)
__________________
V`Wak N`Ron: Teir`Dassin of the 56th Order, Gods of Najena
Htaed Ybdehcuotnu: Gnecro of the 40th Order, Gods of Najena
Phoendi Phyres: Eru-Din of the 28th Order, Gods of Najena
Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

The entire city had to be rebuilt and refurbished due to the damage caused by the combined might of the 2nd Rallosian War and then the Rending. The old North Qeynos Gate is still there, but everything else needed to be moved around.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:42 AM   #16
troodon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Temple of Terror, Cabilis
Posts: 1,098
Default

[email protected] wrote:
It would be really cool if they created several instances of these zones in their former glory, possibly as part of a new questline.   That way the zones as they exist now would remain unaffected, but you could at least see Norrath as it used to be.
Like EQ1 monster missions?
__________________
----

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
DrkVsr

Loremaster
DrkVsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Land of the Short Brown Kiwi
Posts: 2,041
Default

Can't believe ah didn't see it before SMILEY

The monk guild is still there but Ironforge Estate moved and Crow's Nest (or whatever the correct name was) re-located to a new Inn and the pond turned into a full fledged stream (or is that the overflow from the UFO pond?)

__________________
V`Wak N`Ron: Teir`Dassin of the 56th Order, Gods of Najena
Htaed Ybdehcuotnu: Gnecro of the 40th Order, Gods of Najena
Phoendi Phyres: Eru-Din of the 28th Order, Gods of Najena
Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
Adal

BrightHub
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 78
Default

Wow! Great! Thanks! This will help me out a ton! How about the Kedge? What can you tell me about them? And what did they look like?
__________________
~Adele Caelia~

www.adelecaelia.com

www.brighthub.com
Adal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #19
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

Adal wrote:
Wow! Great! Thanks! This will help me out a ton! How about the Kedge? What can you tell me about them? And what did they look like?

I can't speak for any Kedge lore revealed after EQ2 came out, because that's when EQlive decided to bring them back from extinction. The most we knew about them before though was all about Phinigel Autropos.

http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/s...h.shtml?id=1852

http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/s....shtml?id=24882

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #20
Mirander_1

Loremaster
Mirander_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,229
Default

As for Kedge lore, here's pretty much all I know. The Kedge were created by Prexus and inhabited the oceans of Norrath, but they had a great temple (and capital city?) in the great lake Dagnor's Cauldron on Faydwer.  There was a powerful wizard among the Kedge named Phinigel Autropos who decided to use the power of the temple to increase the potency of a great spell he was attempting to cast.  He cast the spell, but the power was to much, and he lost control of it.  The spell backlashed, killing every Kedge in the world, except for Phinigel.  And so in EQlive, he wandered the ruins of the temple, half-mad with grief and shame. You might be wondering, what was the purpose of his spell?  Well, I don't know.  I've heard a few different versions here and there, and I don't know which one is true.  Some stories say he was simply trying to achieve more power; others that he was searching for immortality (and achieved it).  One story in a bit more in-depth, and definately unique. The story goes that when Prexus created the Kedge, he looked at the other races created, and saw that they would overpopulate, and be more than the land could support.  So, he created the Kedge so that they could never do so.  When a Kedge dies, its soul doesn't go on to an afterlife, but is rather reborn as a newborn Kedge.  This meant that no new Kedge could be born without an old one first dying, and the population would never expand.  Then came Phinny, who looked at the other races, and the mighty empires they had built with their greater numbers, and envied them, as well as fearing what could happen if those huge empires ever went to war with the numerically weak Kedge.  So, he performed the ritual to try and break the cycle, and allow new Kedge souls to be created.  When the spell backfired, it not only killed the Kedge, it also drew all the souls into Phinny, which also attributes to his madness, and granted him immortality.  With all the souls trapped in Phinny, and Phinny unable to die, it means that no new Kedge can ever be born. Of course, I don't know if this story is true, but it makes for good storytelling SMILEY. In a recent EQlive expansion, it's revealed that a small number of Kedge escaped Phinny's spell; by being protected in a Combine city halfway across the world, I guess.   However, we don't know if this lore applies to EQ2 or not.
__________________
Mirander
90 Wizard
Unrest server
Mirander_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #21
DrkVsr

Loremaster
DrkVsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Land of the Short Brown Kiwi
Posts: 2,041
Default

Any confirmation or denial on whether Prexus is going to take the place of The Tribunal in RoK?
__________________
V`Wak N`Ron: Teir`Dassin of the 56th Order, Gods of Najena
Htaed Ybdehcuotnu: Gnecro of the 40th Order, Gods of Najena
Phoendi Phyres: Eru-Din of the 28th Order, Gods of Najena
Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

The Rise of Kunark website says Tribunal.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
Goaldan

Loremaster
Goaldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 117
Default

Whenever he goes in, he'd better be neutral. 

Sick of all the nature-element themed deities besides Ro being good.  SMILEY

Goaldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #24
Malokar

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 11
Default

Talking about city gates, aren't the orcs in the commonlands wandering around towers that used to be part of Freeport? East Freeport, the towers that lead out to North Ro, if my geography serves me right.
Malokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.