EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Fury
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #31
Ianaar

Loremaster

Just my 2 cents, but I love being a fury. At lvl 55 so far and loving it. Starting out can be a bit rocky, but the first levels go so fast anyway its not so bad.

I am consistantly in the top 2 or 3 DPSers in a group and thats with being the only healer! Heck I even out DPS summoners from time to time (granted the summoner probably sucked but still).

For healing, I have yet to find a group with a good tank that I cant solo heal. Keep in mind having a tank that knows what they are doing REALLY helps! Just remember, keep your HoT up(both of them in a heated battle... yes that means the group HoT).

For Soloing... lots of folks like the root/nuke method... and yes that works very well, but it can be a little slow with the time it takes to cast our nukes. I personally prefer hitting snare, both DoTs, both nukes, regen... rinse and repeat until dead. If you pull from a good enough distance with snare, you can usually get off bot DoTs and one nuke before it reaches you. Even to 5+ level averages usually go down in the first cycle or shortly there after. Heroics ^ usually after the second cycle and ^^ might take 3-4 cycles and some more healing thrown in as needed.

The only thing I do not like about the Fury is peoples missconseptions (sp?). Lots of people think we cant heal worth a flip and don't think our DPS does much. I can't count how many times I have heard "Wow, I didn't know Furies could do that!"

Ianaar

Old 03-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #32
Banne

General

Actually, I left the game at level 30, and found that my Fury did quite well. I could take down ^^^, spec for healing or dps, depending on my mood. I only had adept 1 spells because EoF master drops sucked, as well as people asking huge amounts for M1's that I could never afford. But, overall, i enjoyed my Fury. And i know on raids, a Fury can parse up there on dps, sometimes in the top 3, depending on encounter and group makeup. What more can you ask?

Cheers

Banne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #33
Belar2001

Loremaster

My fury Narick on Blackburrow is level 33 and level 23 woodworker, no cheating, no buying plat, soloed 90% of the time (because my time with twins is very fragmented) and he will turn 2 months old on March the 23.  I really don't play much more than 3 hours a week so anyone who is saying that they are having difficulty soloing their fury is simply not playing well.

Here's how you do it....

1-24 DO QUESTS!

Put your AA in the druid INT line for improved crit chance and improved focus (move to Wis once your Int is maxed out)

at 24 two things happen.  1) you get strike of thunder 2) you get the chance to upgrade strike of thunder FOR FREE to Master II.  At 24 I could solo the first three levels of Stormhold (with the exception of the chapel) and the second level and third levels are almost all white/blue ^^^.

Also DO YOUR LEGEND AND LORE QUESTS!  Here's how it goes for a Blue ^^.  Root. Vicous Feast, Snare, Strike of Thunder, Master Strike (provided its an orc, skeleton, treant, gnoll), HO, Swarm, Cyclone. Heal, and rinse repeat.  Two cycles through will kill almost any Blue or White ^^ and three cycles through will usually kill a ^^^.  I am averaging 1.5 to 2 hours play time to level from level 24 to level 33.

That is incredibly quick as it took my ranger an average of 10 hours Playing time to level the same range.  Now one advantage I do have is that my account started Nov. 14 2004 so a) I know the game and b) I do have veteren rewards to help me get over the hell levels at 24, 29 and 31.

Belar2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #34
Indaria
Server: The Bazaar

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

People stating soloing stuff with a healer is slow while there main is a petclass are just to funny!

DUH!!!! even tho fury`s can and will do descent dps at the higher levels were still a healerclass.

People stating they cant heal good enough with there fury seriously need to adjust there tactics as there isnt a single thing in the game a fury cant heal solo.

Solo dps i can reach 700/800 easily single target and multi target even higher wich is good dps for a healerclass! You want insane dps? get 21 points in the EOF energy line wich more or less doubles your dps! After 50 you will reach the sweetspot of the fury class wich will make your life easier.

And as for not being able to solo anything: there is very little i can not solo and by soloing i include ^^^ the same level as me.

I use my fury as a pet class! Just go the charm animal line!
Indaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #35
Devilsbane

Loremaster

If you wish to soloing rooms/areas effectively you need to make/buy both a Spiked strap (shoulder) and Spiked strut (shield) adornments for your tier. Together they triples the total reprisal damage you do to crowds of npcs.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #36
Lazzi_Bum

Hero

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

People stating soloing stuff with a healer is slow while there main is a petclass are just to funny!

DUH!!!! even tho fury`s can and will do descent dps at the higher levels were still a healerclass.

People stating they cant heal good enough with there fury seriously need to adjust there tactics as there isnt a single thing in the game a fury cant heal solo.

Solo dps i can reach 700/800 easily single target and multi target even higher wich is good dps for a healerclass! You want insane dps? get 21 points in the EOF energy line wich more or less doubles your dps! After 50 you will reach the sweetspot of the fury class wich will make your life easier.

And as for not being able to solo anything: there is very little i can not solo and by soloing i include ^^^ the same level as me.

I use my fury as a pet class! Just go the charm animal line!
I did the same and was SO excited the first time I charmed a pet.  But after many deaths due to the charm breaking very unpredictably(and at the worst possible time) I think I am going to respec that line.  I only put 1AA there, so maybe it holds better with more.
Lazzi_Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #37
FuryAndLovingIt

Hero

I love my Fury - I have Energy Vortex and points in Int line, and my DPS and soloing ability is very strong.  With a hammer equipped (shapeshift) + my crit bonuses, I am set-up to crit nearly 25% of the time (with double damage avaialble for short bursts).  Add some 2 damage shields, gleaming strike and imbued shield, and I can kill nearly everything from blue ^^^ to solo mobs 6 levels higher (I am 41 and currently starting the Ghassan quest line in SS which requires killing 46/47 mobs also killing drakes of same level in SF).  I can't imagine killing things faster.  I haven't tried too many other toons since combat changes made my Necro more uber and my Assassin less of a soloer, but I can kill things just as easy as I used to on my Assassin before they nerfed bow kiting.

FuryAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #38
AdiX__Styxx__

Loremaster

Hey yall,

41 fury here i think the op was looking for someone around my lvl for some advice or answeres anyways ill give both!

first a lil background about me i have a 70 coercer 70 ranger 54 guard 42 defiler and well a 41 fury

only the ranger is a true dps tier 1 class altough my coercer still packs a good punch erm i mean spell lol

As to yer questions regarding fury on the dps list most of the post ya have seen up top are accurate altough it varies a lot on yer playstyle aswell like one of the posters who kinda was rubbed off as /rude stated root and nuke with HO this works really well in the lower lvls altough the HO doesnt grow as you lvl so in time it will diminish in efficiency!

The way i play my fury is i melee and nuke i dont root if i wanna root and control whats going on i play my coercer or my ranger (kiting ftw it still exists and will never die!) anyways what i have experienced is that killing is slow from lvl 1 upto 22 at 23 ya start getting the big nukes and it will go a lot faster and i mean a lot faster sometimes can even one shot groups with even con mobs in it aka heroic groups! from 23 upto 37 or so yer king of the hill with speed killing soloing tru it all (yes ive soloed about 39 lvls from the 41 ive gotten) around lvl 38 and up dps is starting to soar and it seems yer taking more damage meaning ya need to heal more altough ya will also experience more interupts so need more time to get a heal spell off (ofc this can be countered by rooting and nuking form afar altough i prefer still to melee) diminishing yer dps and killling speed also ya will experience more resists (btw 38 is about the lvl ya can hit feerrot which is t5 maybe my toon just isnt ready for it yet) anyways while doing this ya will get yer focus up and more defensive skillups also ministration and ordination is getting up there now aswell slowly this might be reasons for the interupts / resists / and lower amount of damage yer able to do eventuallly!

As to the comparison with other priest classes the only comparison i can give is from the defiler optic the fury kills a lot faster compared to the defiler where at lvls dps goes up and down a lil jumpy as ya get skillups altouhg the defiler class might kill slower througout the lvls he kills more steady and with less risk (take my playstyle into account) chain armor wards etc means preward b4 fight vs the regen heal also means ya can ward at 80% and still get the full amount of the ward less chance of interuption i seem to get less resists on my damage spells with the defiler aswell! this is just a soloing point of view tho ive stashed my defiler behind the stove and pull her out once ina  while nowadays i prefer my fury for all situations over my defiler!

If ya look at it from a grouping point of view tho with my defiler its a lot and i mean A LOT easier to be single healer in a group im not saying its not doable wiht a fury it is but its just so much easier with my defiler its silly but its also a lot more boring as a defiler a fury main healer is exhillerating compared to defiler if tank gets hit hard ill do anything i can to keep him up obviously but with the regens and the fast cast heals it sometimes just isnt enough and i might end up casting a group heal to just heal the MT and keep him from dying now it also depends on the gear of the tank obviously but if ya take a handcrafted geared tank with either healer in a group for powerhealing i would take the defiler but for plain fun i would prefer the fury! And if ya end up with a tank who has awesome gear it means more time for nuking while the defiler doesnt pack much of a pucnh the fury adds ALOT of dps!

In the end its just preference i like to play this game in a way that i need to be on my toes not just chaincasting wards or heals or whatever i like to alter playstyle on a whim while fighting (coercer ftw) the fury class gives me that versatility in the healer class branch!

PS: one more tip if ya go the road of root / nuke as a fury ya will lose out while soloing on the damage shield damage which actually adds a lotta damage too especially when fighting groups this is one of the reasons im meleeing i did not know what i read in this thread that spell crits also made yer damage shield crit tho thats great news for me!

Anyways i hope this helps to shed some light on yer questions and issues with this amazing class

AdiX__Styxx__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #39
mcavellero

Loremaster

"fury it is but its just so much easier with my defiler its silly but its also a lot more boring as a defiler a fury main healer is exhillerating compared to defiler if tank gets hit hard ill do anything i can to keep him up obviously but with the regens and the fast cast heals it sometimes just isnt enough and i might end up casting a group heal to just heal the MT and keep him from dying now it also depends on the gear of the tank obviously but if ya take a handcrafted geared tank with either healer in a group for powerhealing i would take the defiler but for plain fun i would prefer the fury! And if ya end up with a tank who has awesome gear it manes more time for nuking while the defiler doesnt pack much of a pucnh the fury adds ALOT of dps!"

Don't forget situations where cloth wearers are taking damage from heavy fingers or AOEs...those will eat up wards and remember ward recast time=same casting time of clerics...super slow.  Where as a fury will be able to to deal with that spike damage better, a shaman won't be able to.  So the prefered healer varies depending on the situation.  And yes I agree with you 200%...to be agood healer as a fury takes skill and is fun...with shamans its just cast ward, recast ward, debuff  ::Yawn:: lol

mcavellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #40
mellowknees72

Loremaster

Crusher wrote:
I've read a lot of posts where players state that Fury's are generally the highest DPS out of the healing classes and are good for soloing. However, after starting a Fury and playing through the very early levels, 1-7, it seems like killing anything takes forever. Maybe I'm just used to the necromancer that I was playing, but the Fury seems exceptionally slower at killing than any other class that I've tried so far, including classes such as Templar. So my question for experienced Fury's is this: is killing and leveling really that slow with a Fury? Or do things get better as the levels get higher?

I've played two furies and two wardens (I have 2 accts).

My experience has been that the fury gets REALLY fun around level 35+.  That's when you start to get some of the best (imo) spells that furies get.

Any priest will likely kill stuff a tad slower than a necro, but with practice you can really kick some serious butts as a fury. SMILEY  Might just take a bit to know the class, know what you can do, and figure out how to best use the spells to suit your particular playstyle.

mellowknees72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 AM   #41
Teak

Loremaster

My fury is 55. My monk is 70.

I wouldn't honestly say we particulary kill a single mob all that fast, but my fury can kill a group of mobs faster than my monk, at comparable levels. My monk can obliterate a single mob encounter, be it normal or heroic much faster, than my fury. But the fury's strength is in killing multiple mobs at a time. So, if you fight groups of mobs, you will get more XP from them, and thus level faster.

Also, my fury can take on higher level ^^^ than my monk could at the same level. It can also take on higher level multi-mob encounters (well, there is the FD trick of the monk to work out that issue as well, but that is likened to cheating).

Still, personal preference, I enjoy playing my monk more. But to each his own.

Teak: ratonga, 92 fury, Freeport

Teeke: froglok monk, 92, Freeport

Pikk: froglok bruiser, 92, Freeport

Teakkup: fae guardian, 92, Freeport

---

Teakken, halfling warden, 90, Everfrost

Teeke, froglok monk, 90, Everfrost

Teak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #42
silentpsycho

Loremaster

Crusher wrote:
Xelphneigh wrote:
/shrug I just flew through the first 11 levels of my new Fury.. Root, Heoric Op, Stinging Swarm and the lightning one.. Don't understand why you having issues killing as my first thought was `wow I am TEARIN these mobs up`... I guess you need to re-think the playstyle or how/what you are doing.

I'm not trying to come off as rude here, but there is no playstyle, so to speak, at the early levels that I referenced. We start off with one offensive spell, then later move on to two. Then we get the heroic opportunity and then the debuff. It's not like there is a wide array of different approaches to combat at those levels and this is simply a case of "Lern2Play". It's simply a matter of the Fury taking significantly longer to down a Mob using the early abilities than any other class that I've played so far.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and all, but when I mentioned in the OP that the question was for experienced Fury's, I was basically looking for someone who has played the class to mid-high level, and has the experience of how the class is in the beginning compared to how the class progresses. No offense, but level 11 really doesn't offer much of a range to draw experience from.

You are exactly right.  From level 1-23 or so, the Fury has some of the *lowest* damage spells of the priest classes if you just look at the spell descriptions.  Some advice I can give you is to keep your thorn damage shield on you (if solo, MT if not) at all times.  1-2 pts of damage on the encounter every hit really adds up, esp. in group encounters.  2nd, while the 2 DOT's you have in this range seem mild, they are fast casting, fast recast and also add up quick.  Combine this with the fact that they are your heroic opportunity triggers, and for PVE, you really do flatten encounters quickly if you a) put dots on everything, b) trigger HO's at every opportunity and c) keep your DS up.  When I applied this strategy back on the island and in the newbie zones, things usually died before I could cast my first heal.

I don't know what your playstyle is, but if you use this strategy, mobs drop extremely fast. Especially groups of mobs.  Only class that drops them faster in this level range is probably a warlock.

Bruisers... steadily taking up the rear end since LU24 --- say NO to FD NERF 2007
silentpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #43
archimidesX

Seer

just got my fury to 12 last night...in a very short time and i have no doubt i'll hit 20 in another 2-3 hours... to the OP your tactic should be target 1 mob, toss your 2 dots...target another mob toss your 2 dots...target another mob toss your 2 dots...finish off mob 1, finish off mob 2, if mana looks good target another mob and dot dot, then finish off mob 3...so on and so forth basically you always want to have something beating on you dotted up...your dots and damage shield are amazing and it will make your experience output so much better by chain pulling... that's how i do things anyway...once i got off the island i was getting around a level ever 20 minutes...just finding a nice area with a bunch of blue/evens and doing the above...
archimidesX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #44
lancekortesoja

Loremaster

once you get thunder strike master II things go 100000000000000000000x faster

Level 64 Necromancer [retried]

countless other alts

May the ones lost in Live Update 13 Rest in Peace.
lancekortesoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #45
Saluzas

Lord

I have a 59 fury and when i'm not the main healer I can out dps most classes except locks and wizzy's. As far as soloing goes... yellow ^^^ heroic named mobs aren't a problem for me to take down.
Saluzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:19 AM   #46
Tokam

General

Crusher wrote:
I've read a lot of posts where players state that Fury's are generally the highest DPS out of the healing classes and are good for soloing. However, after starting a Fury and playing through the very early levels, 1-7, it seems like killing anything takes forever. Maybe I'm just used to the necromancer that I was playing, but the Fury seems exceptionally slower at killing than any other class that I've tried so far, including classes such as Templar. So my question for experienced Fury's is this: is killing and leveling really that slow with a Fury? Or do things get better as the levels get higher?
My main toons are 70 necro brig and fury. Yes when you start out things are a little slow, but  once you have got energy vortex and put 8 points into focus / disruption and 8 into spell crits things speed up nicely. Hell give me tc and synergism and ill give a proper zerker a run for their money. (Not like either of us would have any power... but hey you pays your money, tc really does just own - we loves it!).
Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #47
3ulogy

Champion

Soloing as a fury is SOOO much fun, my background i have a 50 monk, 50 mystic, 64 Conjuror, 70 Ranger, and my fury level 63. I would have to say that the Fury is by far the most fun to play.  Having the ability to dish out pretty good dps, not as squishy as a caster, and still being able to heal is a joy.  but its all about how you play.  I went straight down the int and strenght line for damage crits in the druid, and down the animalism line for the fury tree. With this i had my +heal and +dmg crits, 40% in combat runspeed increase, and my a good haste on my melee.  The snare and root Furies get is useless and we have a damage shield so why not use it?  I found the best way to level a fury was finding ^ group heroic's and letting them bash the crap out of me while i cast my dots and healing like crazy. 

Once you get to the higher levels its better to respec down the stamina/int lines, and then go for energy line as well as animal lines.

@ 63 I am able to solo ^^^ Heroic 65 mobs without a problem providing you have animal form and energy vortex.

A typical Casting order to solo heroic content would be: Group HOT, Single HOT, Hibernation, Energy Vortex, Ring of Fire, Heroic Op, Both DoTs, Tbolt, Call of storms, heal as necessary, chain nukes, Cast all my heals on myself, saving the group HoTs and Hibernation for last, Animal form, autoattack to gain mana, turn off animal form, heal, start nuking like crazy.

In short if we have decent gear, and decent spells (ad3 or +) there isnt any place we cant solo (cept epic).

Furies have the best group heals in the game cept Wardens, but furies can also dish out a lot more dps.  I love the fact I can solo heal a group and still be top 3 on the dmg parse

SMILEY

3ulogy is offline   Reply With Quote