EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Kenkonken

Apprentice
Kenkonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

I don't see an official forum for making suggestions, so I guess I'll do it here. I've only been playing about a week, but there are some things I'd like to address.

First of all, the fact that you can be marked as a spammer when you're just talking normally and conversing with people in the level-based chats. I'm trying to hold a normal conversation, and I receive whispers from many people telling me that I need to stop spamming and that they're going to report me because I won't stop whispering them.

I think, instead of the game just randomly marking you as a spammer and not informing you of it, it should either have a "cooldown" of sorts between messages, or it should tell you that you are talking too fast and disable your chat for a certain amount of time, maybe 5-10 minutes.

The fact that it doesn't even inform you that you've been marked as a spammer means that if you keep talking, everything you say is being whispered to the people who haven't disabled their spam, so they're getting annoyed and ignoring you for something that you have no control over.

This page; http://www.everquest2.com/free states that Silver and Gold accounts have Unlimited chat access. This is untrue if the game marks you as spam because you're talking too much. I know if the game is going to mark me as a spammer for doing nothing more than having a conversation, then I'm not going to spend my money on it, because everyone will have me ignored and I won't be able to communicate.

I also suggest that people should be able to access the character customization of all races, but only be able to complete the creation process if they've purchased the race. Some people don't want to subscribe but may want to purchase different races, and I for one don't really like the idea of purchasing a race that I may not even like to look at. If we were allowed to preview the customization, we could play around and see if we put together a look we like, and then decide from there if we want to purchase said race. I noticed that the Freeblood can at least be previewed on a basic level, as it is the only non-free race that can actually be clicked during character creation.

There should also be something in the Marketplace that can remove the Platinum limit on a per-character basis. I can unlock equipment, spells, and bag slots, so why can't I unlock the Platinum limit? I would gladly pay $5-$10 to uncap how much Platinum I'm allowed to have. There could also be something to unlock bank slots on a per-character basis, and something to unlock the rest of the shared bank slots which would have to be account-wide and would of course be more expensive.

As far as the Broker goes, I'm fine with it being limited if you're not Gold, but maybe adding something that costs a bit more that unlocks it for extended periods of time. Perhaps $5 for 30-days of unlimited Broker access, or even just 14-days would be fine. Maybe something to be able to send Mail as well for the same prices.

My last suggestion is to bring back the ability to purchase expansions with Station Cash. From what I've been told by others in-game, the ability to do this was removed because Sony said people were "exploiting" the double and triple SC sales and getting the expansions very cheap. Well, Sony, you're the ones who have the sales, so you should've seen that coming. There are times when people don't have credit cards, so purchasing Station Cash cards is the only option for them, so how are they supposed to be able to get the expansions? The entire point of a sale is to be able to get things for cheaper prices, so I don't really see what the problem is.

As you'll notice, most of my suggestions are Marketplace suggestions, because I am someone who would rather make several microtransactions for things at the time that I need them, than subscribe and wind up not playing during the time I've paid for. I'm very finicky when it comes to games, so I may spend $50 on a game one month, and then not even touch it the next month.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage
Rank: Captain

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,982
Default

the SC thing was they simply failed to anticipate people hoarding.

people massive stocking up on triple/double sc days, and then basically using it to buy their expansions for huge effective discounts or flat out for free.

an expansion was effective 60 bucks in sc, or three  cards worth. if I bought 3 cards on triple SC..I just effectively got a 66% discount on 1 expansion and the next 2 for free. or got a 66% deal on one, and then got 2 free to gift to friends or load up on other accounts.

they lost a ton of revenue. So they had an option. stop doing double/triple sc promotions, or stop selling thier expansions on the marketplace. I think they chose the better option.

the spam filter thing is usually from using certain key word or phrases that it flags. and oft time it says X person tells 1-9[spam] click here to see message... it doesn't send them a tell...but it does use the same color as a tell text. which for most I believe dark purple if you don't change it.

the marketplace unlockers...well I see your point, and I can agree. but I doubt they will. those things are probably staying like that as a permenant way to remind/entice you to go gold.

the race thing I do agree with at least being able to let you see what the race looks like. probably not customize it...and to be honest you can't customize it do much that you wouldn't recognize what race it is at a glance.I mean really you should be able to tell if you want to be say an Ogre or a Troll just by looking at the generic version...or a ratonge, froglok, Iksar or Sarnak.

most of the rest of the races look pretty much alike save for ears and skin tones. I mean a fae is a small elf with wings. and arasai is a small dark elf with wings. Erudite is a bald human with runes on hsi skin. the elves/half elf/humans look close enough alike that you shouldn't need to customize it to decide if you like the race.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Brigh

Loremaster
Brigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,159
Default

Certain things in your comments can be erroneously marked spam. Don't get bent out of shape over it. /bug report it and /petition it.
__________________
Anything you can achieve through hard work, you can also just buy.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Kenkonken

Apprentice
Kenkonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Whether it's an actual tell or just a message saying someone is spamming, I had at least 20 different people whispering me yesterday telling me to shut up, saying they're going to report me, and I was ignored by many others just because I was talking.

I sent in a ticket, and I was told by one GM that I should be more considerate of other players, and by another GM that I shouldn't talk so much. I wasn't inconsiderate to anyone. I wasn't being rude. I was asking questions and having conversations. I'm also not going to stop talking, because this is a MMO. If I can't be social in a MMO, I'm not going to play it.

@Brigh: The reason I got so "bent out of shape" over it is because I was ignored by probably half of Antonia Bayle yesterday because the spam filter was being stupid. I was probably reported by quite a few people as well who thought I was spamming them with whispers. If it doesn't work, it either needs to be fixed or removed.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Brigh

Loremaster
Brigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,159
Default

You can /report and the last 100 lines of chat will be sent. You can then /petition and say you did a report so they can check the log to see what you were saying.

Those people that fail to turn off their spam at least gave you the knowledge something was possibly not right.

They also failed to tell you what you were saying as all they have to do is click the show link and it would show what what being said, instead of telling you to shut up or what ever. If they had been smart they would have clicked it, seen what was there, and noticed nothing was said that was spam.

__________________
Anything you can achieve through hard work, you can also just buy.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

Sounds like you were talking a lot and annoying quite a few people in chat. Nothing the game can do to fix that.

Seeing how races can be customized? Sure. Why not?

They have to keep something locked to entice people to sub...and plat is a pretty easy one to get around, so enjoy it.

I guess I didn't hear that SC couldn't be used on expansions...though I think it's normal to not be able to preorder that way.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Kenkonken

Apprentice
Kenkonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Juggercap wrote:

Sounds like you were talking a lot and annoying quite a few people in chat. Nothing the game can do to fix that.

Seeing how races can be customized? Sure. Why not?

They have to keep something locked to entice people to sub...and plat is a pretty easy one to get around, so enjoy it.

I guess I didn't hear that SC couldn't be used on expansions...though I think it's normal to not be able to preorder that way.

If people were being annoyed by me asking questions, they're probably people who shouldn't be in a social setting. I'm new, I don't know everything about the game, so of course I'm going to ask questions. Other than that, I usually just respond to things that other people say. It's not like I sit there and talk 24/7. 

As far as enticing people to subscribe, why? Turbine allows people to unlock every single limit in the game with a purchase from their Store, so I don't see why Sony can't do that too. Turbine is a much smaller company, so if they can give up that little bit of profit, I'm sure Sony, one of the top electronics and gaming companies in the world, can too.

How do you get around the Platinum limit? It's currently 1840 Platinum at level 92 if you're Silver, though I suppose is more than enough once Krono is implemented. I doubt they'll cost that much since people sell 2000 Station Cash cards for 500-600 PP.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

Kenkonken wrote:

Juggercap wrote:

Sounds like you were talking a lot and annoying quite a few people in chat. Nothing the game can do to fix that.

Seeing how races can be customized? Sure. Why not?

They have to keep something locked to entice people to sub...and plat is a pretty easy one to get around, so enjoy it.

I guess I didn't hear that SC couldn't be used on expansions...though I think it's normal to not be able to preorder that way.

If people were being annoyed by me asking questions, they're probably people who shouldn't be in a social setting. I'm new, I don't know everything about the game, so of course I'm going to ask questions. Other than that, I usually just respond to things that other people say. It's not like I sit there and talk 24/7. 

As far as enticing people to subscribe, why? Turbine allows people to unlock every single limit in the game with a purchase from their Store, so I don't see why Sony can't do that too. Turbine is a much smaller company, so if they can give up that little bit of profit, I'm sure Sony, one of the top electronics and gaming companies in the world, can too.

How do you get around the Platinum limit? It's currently 1840 Platinum at level 92 if you're Silver, though I suppose is more than enough once Krono is implemented. I doubt they'll cost that much since people sell 2000 Station Cash cards for 500-600 PP.

If you had 'at least 20 different people' sending you tells, I'm guessing it was something you were doing that was annoying. Sorry if the community was rude, but I really don't think they were rude because you simply asked a couple questions. A few people, sure...that's gonna happen. 20 tells? Not a chance. Either way, this is not something that has a programmable fix.

Why entice people to sub? Because they like money. Being bigger makes that little bit much bigger...especially in this slowed down on levels version of the game. Unlock a couple spells. Unlock a few pieces of gear each month. No reason to ever sub.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Kenkonken

Apprentice
Kenkonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

People were sending me tells because they thought -I- was spamming -them- with tells, because they thought the purple spam text was -me- whispering them. They thought I was spamming them with messages, and they got mad. It's not -my- fault they were being spammed with message. It's the games.

Yes, there is a programmable fix. It's called making the spam filter less sensitive. I can understand if someone posts a URL or a bunch of random garbage or repeats the same thing several times, but I should not be penalized by the spam filter for having a normal conversation in a public chat channel. 

Subscription is $15 a month to access everything. Someone who doesn't want to subscribe can potentially spend two to three times that in the Marketplace by unlocking races, classes, equipment, etc. If they added the Broker, Platinum, Mail, etc. unlocks to the Marketplace it would be even more things that the non-subscribers would be able to get without having to subscribe, and since it would be a limited duration unlock, it could be a recurring purchase. I plan on buying the Gnome Race Pack and Shadowknight next week, and probably unlock the last two bag slots on my main character, which is more than $15 spent in one day, and potentially more money that I may spend throughout the month. 

In short, Marketplace buyers potentially spend more in a month than subscribers.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Juggercap

Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

Kenkonken wrote:

People were sending me tells because they thought -I- was spamming -them- with tells, because they thought the purple spam text was -me- whispering them. They thought I was spamming them with messages, and they got mad. It's not -my- fault they were being spammed with message. It's the games.

Yes, there is a programmable fix. It's called making the spam filter less sensitive. I can understand if someone posts a URL or a bunch of random garbage or repeats the same thing several times, but I should not be penalized by the spam filter for having a normal conversation in a public chat channel. 

Subscription is $15 a month to access everything. Someone who doesn't want to subscribe can potentially spend two to three times that in the Marketplace by unlocking races, classes, equipment, etc. If they added the Broker, Platinum, Mail, etc. unlocks to the Marketplace it would be even more things that the non-subscribers would be able to get without having to subscribe, and since it would be a limited duration unlock, it could be a recurring purchase. I plan on buying the Gnome Race Pack and Shadowknight next week, and probably unlock the last two bag slots on my main character, which is more than $15 spent in one day, and potentially more money that I may spend throughout the month. 

In short, Marketplace buyers potentially spend more in a month than subscribers.

OK. I can buy false positive spam...but you said people were sending you tells saying they were going to report you. They weren't doing that because of the hidden messages.

Subs last. FTP is quick cash grab. You're right that they make money off that, but they still want that long term subscriber.

__________________
------------------

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Kenkonken

Apprentice
Kenkonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

I'm pretty sure that I was the one sitting here looking at my screen when I received the tells, so I know what they said. 

"Stop sending me tells."

"I'm going to report you if you don't stop spamming."

"Why are you whispering me?"

These are the things people were sending me because they thought that the spam message was me sending them tells.

You apparently can't understand what I'm trying to say, so I'm not going to bother trying to explain it a fourth time.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Merodos

Journeyman
Merodos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Kenkonken wrote:

I'm pretty sure that I was the one sitting here looking at my screen when I received the tells, so I know what they said. 

"Stop sending me tells."

"I'm going to report you if you don't stop spamming."

"Why are you whispering me?"

These are the things people were sending me because they thought that the spam message was me sending them tells.

You apparently can't understand what I'm trying to say, so I'm not going to bother trying to explain it a fourth time.

Hell, I'm not even sure I understand what you're saying, but I'll give it a shot.

"These are the things people were sending me because they thought that the spam message was me sending them tells."

  • That bit right there tells me that someone else was sending them actual spam at about the same time you sent them a tell and thus appeared on their screen as one continous tell with a [Spam] link at the end.  Only thing SOE can do is change the default colors between a regular tell and spam-labeled tell if their system even makes such a distinction possible (if not, they could code it to do so if they wanted).

"I think, instead of the game just randomly marking you as a spammer and not informing you of it, it should either have a "cooldown" of sorts between messages, or it should tell you that you are talking too fast and disable your chat for a certain amount of time, maybe 5-10 minutes."

  • I don't think the "report spam" feature automatically marks you for the spam filter, but I could be wrong.  While it doesn't do so at random, I do know that certain words or key phrases will be auto-marked as spam, generally the stuff a gold seller would say.

The example tells you've presented say to me that they weren't mistaking your tells for spam, that they weren't seeing the [spam] label.  

That's my take on it anyways.

Merodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
Kenkonken

Apprentice
Kenkonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

My problem has already been solved by a GM, but I would still like to clarify what I meant.

Tell text is purple by default.

The color of the text that says someone is spamming is purple by default.

People who don't know what the spam filter is see the game telling them that I'm spamming.

Since the color of the spam text is the same color as tell text, the person thinks I am sending them tells.

Everything I'm saying is being marked as spam and is therefore appearing in the purple text.

The person thinks I am spamming them with tells because they don't realize the purple text is spam and not a tell.

The person accuses me of spamming them with tells and threatens to report me if I don't stop.

Does it make sense now? If not, I don't know how much simpler I can put it.

EDIT: Also, I think the reason this happened to me was because I use elipses (...) a lot, and I use faces (o.O, o.o, -.-) frequently. It probably automarked me as spam because of those things. Either that, or it's because I created and deleted several characters and the game thought I was making disposables to sell Platinum, but I was actually just trying out the different classes.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer
Zoltaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 435
Default

Kenkonken wrote:

First of all, the fact that you can be marked as a spammer when you're just talking normally and conversing with people in the level-based chats. I'm trying to hold a normal conversation, and I receive whispers from many people telling me that I need to stop spamming and that they're going to report me because I won't stop whispering them.

I think, instead of the game just randomly marking you as a spammer and not informing you of it, it should either have a "cooldown" of sorts between messages, or it should tell you that you are talking too fast and disable your chat for a certain amount of time, maybe 5-10 minutes.

Sorry to hear that you got caught up in the filter.  The filter doesn't care how fast you type thing that was not the reason you were marked it had to do with the content of your messages.  I have reviewed the chat of your that it marked as spam and it was clearly not spam - but the good news is that the filter is self correcting.  When people mark that chat as not-spam it fixes itself.  So for example what you said on that day had a spam value of 10 now has a spam value of -2.  If you get caught up in it again you can /petition and CS can fix you up pretty quick!

Zoltaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Kenkonken

Apprentice
Kenkonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

It just marked me again. This is the third time. I'm done. I just spent $20 on the game today to purchase Gnome, Shadowknight, and two inventory slots. I'm not going to continue playing or putting any more money into a game that discourages me from communicating with the other players. If Sony decides to fix their filter so that it doesn't randomly decide that normal conversations are spam, I might come back.

Too bad too, I like this game.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:02 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.