EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Oo
Server: Venekor
Guild: Tunare Watch

General

Just curious if the PvP rangers are going with DW or board and sword?  I have used a roundshield for ages, because I always played to keep range and thought the defense benefit more useful than more melee dps.  Now, since melee dps is more of a factor in our dps output, should I get rid of the shield? 

In my opinion, I think the shield is still best for PvP and maybe DW for PvE in group settings (when you shouldn't be getting agro anyway), but I'd like to hear the thoughts of others. 

Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
Lodor

Loremaster

It depends on your gear selection, but if all things were equal sword and board would be the best choice for added avoidance. You should never melee auto attack in pvp or pve.
Lodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Zacarus
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Elusive

Loremaster

Really its whatever stats are best for you.  The m/c roundshield stats aren't half bad.  If I found a weapon which was better stat-wise for secondary, I wouldn't hesitate to go dw though.
Zacarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
yellowbelly08

Loremaster

With the roundshield from re2 I can get 65 % avoidance. However due to the large debuffs of fp classes im not sure avoidance is that viable as they always seem to hit me near 100% anyway. I use lifespike stiletto of ruin which makes melee an option when in trouble due to the insane heal proc. So i usually now duel wield in pvp with a 7dps 5 DA 1.6 delay dagger in off hand, so that if I am forced into melee its gonna hurt them a bit.

Galoro  Nagafen

Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Lodor

Loremaster

You still should never melee auto attack even with that dagger. It procs off melee cas not auto attack.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Oo

General

and on that subject... is the Str imbued ring really that good for a ranger in PvP?  I see it's use in PvE when you are in the "sweet spot" but in PvP I really don't want to be in that spot.  Would I be better off with a +Ranged DA or +Ranged Crit ring over a Str ring?  (Frankly, I thought it procced off of ranged too, but see that it doesn't...)
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Krakelkr

General

[email protected] wrote:
and on that subject... is the Str imbued ring really that good for a ranger in PvP?  I see it's use in PvE when you are in the "sweet spot" but in PvP I really don't want to be in that spot.  Would I be better off with a +Ranged DA or +Ranged Crit ring over a Str ring?  (Frankly, I thought it procced off of ranged too, but see that it doesn't...)
It does.
Krakelkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Ranja

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
The str imbued ring has nothing to do with being in the sweet spot. It gives a nice DPS and STR buff and procs all the time and DOES proc of ranged. We are sorely lacking in the DPS department so this IMHO is one of the best non-fabled ranger rings we can get. And 28 DPS (or whatever the proc gives you) is way better than +1 RC or +1 RDA

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Oo

General

Thanks.  That's good news.  That's what I thought when I got it, then I read it more closely and started questioning it. 
Old 07-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Lodor

Loremaster

I personaly dont use a str or any imbued ring on my ranger. No need if you are in a good group even pre endgame raid level.

And if you are in a raid guild there are so much better choices for the slot.