EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

... Pretty please?

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

Where is that from?

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

Xalmat wrote:

Where is that from?

Everyone on EQ2X got it for free today.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Shareana

Lead Volunteer Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=44532...post_id=5423668 Avoidance of the filter is not allowed on the forums.

Shareana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Geothe

Loremaster

Welcome to the new direction of EQ2!

Live servers in "maintain" mode only. (translated: passively forced migration)Anything and everything good will only get tossed to EQ2X to force the paying of the $35 copy fee.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
PlaneCrazy

Loremaster

Dreyco wrote:

Xalmat wrote:

Where is that from?

Everyone on EQ2X got it for free today.

It was an award for the end of their Beta.

Funny, every "reward" I have gotten from SOE in the past has always involved $$$ in some way shape or form.  Now they just give stuff out to anyone who creates a free account... LOL.

Oh well, bet we get that staff in our 7 year vet awards SMILEY

Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Yimway

Loremaster

My only concern about this is, items of equal art quality should be dropping off the harder mobs in the game.  Seems if you want really nice looking items you have to pay for them, if you want useful items you have to play for them.

I'd rather visualy recognize someone in game by their accomplishments playing the game rather than their wallets SMILEY

I'm sure we'll see a similar staff in SC offerings in the near future.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Zorastiz
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

That's pretty frakked up but typical of the direction and management style.

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Calthine

ZAM EQII

There have always been exclusive items.  Try and get your hands on a Greatstaff of the Sun Serpent, which was a premium for participating in a launchpad survey.

Or the Portrait of Venril Sathir, which was a promotional item for buying the first issue of Beckett Massively MMO magazine. 

Would I like one?  Yeah.  Is it breaking my game?  no.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
PlaneCrazy

Loremaster

Calthine wrote:

There have always been exclusive items.  Try and get your hands on a Greatstaff of the Sun Serpent, which was a premium for participating in a launchpad survey.

Or the Portrait of Venril Sathir, which was a promotional item for buying the first issue of Beckett Massively MMO magazine. 

Would I like one?  Yeah.  Is it breaking my game?  no.

I don't think anyone has said it's breaking their game. And nobody had to do anything special to get this staff apparently.  Unless you call making a free account and logging in special?

Just a kick in the family jewels ... is how I look at it.

I think all of us on the Live servers should get a special reward for the end of the Extended Beta too!

How about a full size plushie of the character of your choice that is now gone and will never be back on your server?  Just so you don't feel so alone....

Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Dreadpatch

Loremaster

I'm sure it will be on SC for Live soon enough...

Alendril 90 Troubador 250 AA

Ribatio 90 Mystic 242 AA

Dreadpatch 90 Swashbuckler 171 AA

Delanar 70 Guardian

Blackghost 39 (BG) Assassin
Dreadpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
SmokeJumper

DoD

We didn't think it would go over very well on Live, considering that the description details of the item say the following:

"Staff of the Rising Phoenix: This ornamental weapon is a gift created to celebrate the launch of EverQuest II: Extended."

To be honest, we thought we might face a flamewar if we introduced that description onto EQII Live.

FYI...it's appearance-only...no stats.

But to talk about fairness...wait until you see the Seven Year Award in GU 58. They don't get that on EQ2X.

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

SmokeJumper wrote:

We didn't think it would go over very well on Live, considering that the description details of the item say the following:

"Staff of the Rising Phoenix: This ornamental weapon is a gift created to celebrate the launch of EverQuest II: Extended."

To be honest, we thought we might face a flamewar if we introduced that description onto EQII Live.

But to talk about fairness...wait until you see the Seven Year Award in GU 58. They don't get that on EQ2X.

But but but... the appearance is awesome!!!

And if people want to flame for getting something cool for free for an appearance slot?  Then they need to be flogged, honestly.  That would be just whining for the sake of whining.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

SmokeJumper wrote:

Change the name, change the description, keep the appearance, ship it, and we're good.

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
Murdo
Server: Guk
Guild: Legion of the Void

Loremaster

Does it actually look good from the side, or does it stick out 2 feet like this one?:

Murdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
circusgirl

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Couldn't you just create a new item with the same appearance and a different description?  That answer seems like a bit of a cop-out to me.

For the record though, I would rather you incorporate this into the live game as a drop from a high end raidmob, rather than as a free gift for all.  Raid gear has simply aweful appearances this expansion.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
Cusashorn

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Couldn't you just create a new item with the same appearance and a different description?  That answer seems like a bit of a cop-out to me.

For the record though, I would rather you incorporate this into the live game as a drop from a high end raidmob, rather than as a free gift for all.  Raid gear has simply aweful appearances this expansion.

Well then just put this staff in your appearance slot and you're good to go then.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #18
EQPrime

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

I admit I would flame you guys if you gave us something that mentioned celebrating Extenzed.  It would be like giving Beatles fans something that gives tribute to Yoko Ono.  It would be nice to see an item with a similar look, or something equally cool and unique in appearance, as a 7 year vet reward though.

Arbre - Warden/Sage
Flippyfloppies - OP SK
Amplify - Troubadour

Slege
Mistmoore
EQPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #19
SmokeJumper

DoD

[email protected] wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

I admit I would flame you guys if you gave us something that mentioned celebrating Extenzed.  It would be like giving Beatles fans something that gives tribute to Yoko Ono.  It would be nice to see an item with a similar look, or something equally cool and unique in appearance, as a 7 year vet reward though.

Okay. I admit it. I laughed at the Yoko Ono comment. SMILEY

Wait until you see the 7-year Vet reward. It's very cool, IMO.

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
Calthine

ZAM EQII

SmokeJumper wrote:

Tease!

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #21
Ceeamee

Loremaster

I honestly can't wait to see the 7 year vet reward.  SMILEY  Unfortunately, I'm guessing from what you're saying, that it's not going to be a small guild house for us.  lol

I'm shocked that we don't have evolving items on the Marketplace yet.  I've been waiting and waiting for them.  *grin*

Ceeamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #22
Cyberlink

Beobachter

Calthine wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Tease!

=> http://lootdb.com/eq2/item/969448139  *naah just kidding

Der einzige Spieler, der sich am Geschmack des Bodens orientiert.
Cyberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #23
JesseR

Loremaster

this is one of the reasons I was opposed to EQ2X, they throw all the bonuses that way and screw their existing subscriber base. The only "bonus" regular subscribers have gotten is for signing up 3 months-1 year in advance...what about the recurring plan I've been on since the game came out?

JesseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #24
Torvos

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Okay. I admit it. I laughed at the Yoko Ono comment.

This isn't the first item the EQ2X community has gotten though. A decent bit of them also recieved a /claimable furniture set a month or so ago, although nobody really knows what qualifies you to get one, other then being on EQ2X. I really think these things should be coming over to those of us who have paying subs as well.

And as for the seven year vet reards, that only effects those of us that have been paying our sub for seven years. While I've been aorund since release, I'm a year behind on my account age because.. lets face it, there hasn't been enough to do to keep my account up every month.

Do you kind of understand why this is irking some of us? Since eq2X has come out the free playerbase keeps getting free things, while those of us that are subbing have gotten.. erm..

Torvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #25
NViDiaFReaK

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

this is a cop out....  change the description or give it to us as is...  people dont have to claim it if they dont like celebrating eq2X

Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #26
BabyAngel

Loremaster

Smoke.... come on now, with all the same skinned items all over Everquest 2 with different stats and descriptions, can't you just change the text and put it on our SC for free?

"This item is an apology for sharfting you in our promise to not give EQ2x all the awesome looking gear and exclude you from it"

BabyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #27
Zorastiz
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

ALL players over there got this item, so in response to the angst this has caused you are pumping up the 7 year vet reward?

SJ was talking about FAIRNESS in his post quoted above, I don't see how rewarding ALL players on one hand and only SOME players on the other is FAIR to ALL?

What about something for ALL the players over here?

Or do the words FAIRNESS, SOME and ALL confuse you management types at SOE?

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #28
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

SmokeJumper wrote:

Quick, someone find me one year of account age, stat! SMILEY

Will be interesting to see what the 7 year reward ends up being.

To whoever mentioned the furniture that X gets: the items in the pack are all obtainable normally in game... Starter Furniture Pack. Though I did never figure out why some people on there get it and others don't. Everyone here can get the journeyman's cloak (for their Live account) if they create a char on X though. SMILEY

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #29
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Seriously, guys?

I hate the EQ2x servers, but we don't need to celebrate their finishing BETA.

Yeah, its fair that they have something to celebrate and are celebrating.

Listening to some of this, its like y'all are demanding a gift of your own for your cousin's birthday.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #30
Murryha
Guild: Safe Haven

Loremaster

I read this from the Dev Forums when EQ2X first launched.  It really stuck with me.  (My apologies..I just don't know how to properly link the thread, but this is located on page 17 of the Dev discussion on EQ2X).

07/27/2010 12:49:52
Server: Everfrost Guild: Devecia Rank: HMFIC Loremaster Joined: Dec 23, 2005 Messages: 240 Offline

I know this model, Smoke, and it's absolutely brilliant... that is, if you can pull it off. 

For the playerbase, the gist of the model is based on a divide and conquer concept, with a twist.  It has almost a flawless success rate (except when they try to rush it or it gets mangled in the translation to another location).  It's the same model many insurance companies and the Government are using to to stop cigarette smoking btw.  They're using your money and your children against you.

First you divide (obviously) and attract new employees/people already on board.  This introduces a new element to the culture you want all the while keeping them away from the influcences of the old culture.  You entrench them (the newbs) to the behaviors you want to change so they only know "that way". 

you then offer modest incentives to the new culture all the while broadcasting throughout the entire old and new employee base.  Broadcasting is a key component here, it must stay positive from a broadcasting point all the while keeping the old employee base away from inputing comments to the new employee base (hence the separate servers and boards).

This queres the interest of some in the old employee base and creates "doubt" (doubt is key).  You continue to build on the "grass is greener" concept.  (you can see the start of this with the plat membership of 10 toon slot compaired to the current 7 for only $30 more).

Slowly (slowly is the key word) you increase the rewards and lessen the broadcasting (dim the lights on the old employee base) this REALLY gets them talking because now they are wondering  "what's going on?"  It creates fasination to cause more people to "check it out". 

Here's were the twist kicks in, peer pressure.  People talk, more importantly, "friends" talk.  The model uses the loyalies people have with each other and at this point, it's completely employee driven.

You keep increasing the rewards (modestly) and gaining the interest, all the while telling the old employee base, "I'm sorry, you told us you didn't want to be part of this."  You exclude them, which really facinates them.  Until you get the "Hey, they have it better, I want better too".  Which you reply, "Sorry, this is only for NEW model employees" if you want it you have to come "on board".  And Viola... rinse and repeat until you have everyone but the die hards, the die-hards that refuse to commit get removed".  "Sorry we're closing this server, there's no employee interest playing like this anymore".

It's easier to change the landscape with a tidal wave, then drops of water.

The Key here is "if" they are going to release new accounts to the old servers or "flip the switch giving them access to everything" on the current server so they don't have to leave their friends.  My bet is they will keep them on the current server .

This is how they are going to get micro-transactions and F2P into the entire playerbase without the playerbase revoiting... the playerbase with scream for it.  What's going to make or break it is how much response they get from new players joining the free to play.  I bet we see a HUGE advertising push.

Keep this in mind as you ask for specific items you see on the EQ2X side of the game. I see F2P/RMT as an all or nothing format, not a "oooo that one item is awesome and I want it too!".

Have fun!

Murryha is offline   Reply With Quote