EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Signal_Soldier

Loremaster

The game has been out for 7 years now. I think it's time to start a progression server imo. If your in agreement please post maybe we can get this ball rolling. Should be hard to implement. With f2p I think a lot would like to start fresh. 

Signal_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Raknid

Loremaster

I thought it was cool that they opened a new (non-progression) server when EQ went free to play.

I would like a progression server if they could roll everything back and dole out the GUs (later to become LUs) at the same pace. At least that way I could have some of the experience of the game as it was when it launched.

If they ever do...meet at the TS station in Ant and we will group up to do some scarecrows. SMILEY

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Yimway

Loremaster

Dude, you could just roll on test and its basically a progression server as there are only tiny guilds and almost no one playing there.  Certainly no SLR to gear off of SMILEY

Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
7foggynites

Lord

Why not a progression character or something like that?

Kill X number of targets and complete X number of quests in each expansion or era. Just like the achievement system. There should be a larger list of potential targets and quests then is actually required. This way players can choose what they do. Maybe guilds could assign you rank based on your progression. Other players can view what you've achieved. I like this idea because it doesn't pull people from normal servers onto an exclusive progression server.

I've never played EQ2 b4. I'm downloading atm. I would like something like this. Without it, I'll just look for a progression guild. I want to see the content that has been offered over the years. Not going to rush to max level yet.

I think rewarding characters titles or fluff is a good way to motivate. But progression players don't do old zones for loot or shinies. They do it because they want to see the things they missed or haven't seen yet. That's the heart of it.

The older content needs to be more accessible. Guilds can create a "golden path" so that their members have structure in their progression, but I wish that it could be put into a progreession window like an achievement window.

Some people might say that the longer players are stuck in old content the less likely they're to subscribe. I mean, if you're not max level then you don't need the latest expansion, right? But I disagree with this. There's lots of things they can do to encourage people to subscribe that doesn't also require them to play in the latest content. EQ2 just needs to realize that there're some people that desire older progression and should figure out ways to get them to subscribe without dramatically compromising their gameplay habits. We can put men on the moon, this can't be on the same level.

I'll play this game irregardless. But I don't like the progression server idea.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Oh yay, another request for a progression server. Must be Tuesday.

How about this: let's brainstorm exactly what problems you think a progression server would solve, and discuss them in detail. The idea of progression servers comes up all the time, but it seems like no two people agree on exactly what they think a progression server would be like, how it would work, or why it would be a good idea.

So WHY do you want a progression server, and what sort of changes would you desire from that server to improve your play experience?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Elskidor

Loremaster

Copying Vox from EQ1 wouldn't be a progression server. It still does take more time to level and grind thousands of aas on EQ1. In EQ2 it would be top heavy in a months time. You'd have to copy the rules of Fippy Darkpaw EQ1, and roll back xp and make it completly how it was in 2004 to make the server long lasting and sucsessful. It can be time locked or raid locked. Once the raid mobs go down it unlock the next expansion, or a poll is posted for the players of that server to vote to unlock the expansion. I'd play it.

Elskidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Elskidor

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

So WHY do you want a progression server, and what sort of changes would you desire from that server to improve your play experience?

They tend to get returning players that rage quit after getting burnt out or disgusted with the changes over the years. A blast to the past playground for players that are really bored or dislike the current live game. Special rule servers can be a ton of fun.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Signal_Soldier

Loremaster

The TLP system works very well in eq1 so I dont see why it wouldnt here. I have looked at all servers and the lowest progression guild I could find was doing lvl 70 content. So that doesnt really fix the issue. If I start say my own progression guild there are no sub classes and entry to zones quests etc.. some of the things eq2 had at launch so that doesnt solve my problem. Im talking of true progression server from day 1 eq2! Same xp same starting cities same sub classes etc.. If you dont like it I respect your opinion and would expect you to do the same likewise but if not thats cool to =)

Signal_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Miapa

Loremaster

There is a major problem with a progression server for EQ2.  Which code-base do they use?  It would have to be the current one (with current itemization) since a) they would have to maintain two server and two client versions (not including test) and b) split development time to handle the new codebase.

However, using the current code for a progression server would make things far too easy.  Current itemization would allow people to handle old content with significantly less players for group/raid content.

There is a lot more I can say as to why a progression server doesn't work with EQ2, but I think these points are fine.

Miapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Skarl
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: The Blood Oath

Loremaster

Although it would be hard to implement, i reckon that a progression server is a great way to introduce a new server. If it was a pvp progression server for example then I think it would be a huge amount of fun to have so many people spread through the level ranges. The problem with servers like vox is ppl tend to power lvl so hard that within a month everyone is max level again. If a progression server was implemented then the xp would have to be brought to a crawl and the rebalanced items would need to be rolled back. I would be very excited if it happened. I missed the experience of a lot of the xpacs being released so it would be wonderful to be apart of the anticipation.
Skarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

What exactly is a progression server? I hear it a lot but not really clued as to what it is.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Elskidor

Loremaster

Guy De Alsace wrote:

What exactly is a progression server? I hear it a lot but not really clued as to what it is.

Hit the reset button and the game begins back to launch settings. It depends on the rule on how they progress through the material though. EQ1's Fippy server is locked by time, and once the date arrives a poll is put into place for the players to vote on an unlock for the next expansion. But it has been done in a manner where the raid guilds kill the raid mobs and unlock the next expansion aswell. I don't think it's a smart move to allow the raid targets to unlock the expansion after they are defeated, because at this point everyone know the tricks and there will be those that will speed through the entire server with in a couple months..wouldn't last long enough for the work they'd have to do to create a progression server. If the xp is slowed waaay down, a progression server could easily run for a couple years of enjoyment. EQ2 doesnt have alot of expansions though.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
Morrias
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

There's guilds doing progression as best as we can. Excuse me while I plug my guild, uhm. Shattered Memories is doing progression, currently at T5, we're just starting to work on prismatics, and we have special rules in place to bring the difficulty up a bit. SMILEY

A progression server would be cool but honestly I don't think it would be healthy for the game right now, I think the guilds doing progression are perfectly fine. Plain and simple SoE doesn't have the resources to maintain a new rule-set server, and as a guild on AB we're doing pretty well by ourselves.

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Brigh

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Copying Vox from EQ1 wouldn't be a progression server. It still does take more time to level and grind thousands of aas on EQ1. It actually has faster leveling now. You sneeze a few times and you are 15 in a couple days. In EQ2 it would be top heavy in a months time. You'd have to copy the rules of Fippy Darkpaw EQ1, and roll back xp and make it completly how it was in 2004 to make the server long lasting and sucsessful. It can be time locked or raid locked. Once the raid mobs go down it unlock the next expansion, or a poll is posted for the players of that server to vote to unlock the expansion. I'd play it.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
SOE-MOD-08

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50009...post_id=5737906 Linking illegal software.
SOE-MOD-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Elskidor

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Copying Vox from EQ1 wouldn't be a progression server. It still does take more time to level and grind thousands of aas on EQ1. It actually has faster leveling now. You sneeze a few times and you are 15 in a couple days. In EQ2 it would be top heavy in a months time. You'd have to copy the rules of Fippy Darkpaw EQ1, and roll back xp and make it completly how it was in 2004 to make the server long lasting and sucsessful. It can be time locked or raid locked. Once the raid mobs go down it unlock the next expansion, or a poll is posted for the players of that server to vote to unlock the expansion. I'd play it.

Yeah, I know. Been playing again since March 16th, but the AA grinding is insane lol. Unless you want to be useless at 95, you have to slide that AA bar every 5 or so levels after 60 for a couple hundred AA per level lock.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Aunry

Loremaster

You can disable adventure experience, so you only get xp from the actual quest.  That would slow it down a bit, but SOE has made it to where you get xp a lot faster and dumbed down the mobs so the zones are easier to do so you may progress faster.  With that being said, there is still some things that would need to be changed by SOE to make the lower lvls more of a progression than lets hurry up and get you to lvl 90 so you are more tempted to by the expansions, flying mounts etc...  

The sole purpose of the game is to make SOE money.  If you don't believe that, you are only fooling yourselfs.

Aunry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Guy De Alsace wrote:

Hit the reset button and the game begins back to launch settings. It depends on the rule on how they progress through the material though. EQ1's Fippy server is locked by time, and once the date arrives a poll is put into place for the players to vote on an unlock for the next expansion. But it has been done in a manner where the raid guilds kill the raid mobs and unlock the next expansion aswell. I don't think it's a smart move to allow the raid targets to unlock the expansion after they are defeated, because at this point everyone know the tricks and there will be those that will speed through the entire server with in a couple months..wouldn't last long enough for the work they'd have to do to create a progression server. If the xp is slowed waaay down, a progression server could easily run for a couple years of enjoyment. EQ2 doesnt have alot of expansions though.

Thanks for that...now I know what you are on about I can comment...! It sounds like a lot of fun to be honest, certainly would be a trip down memory lane for sure. I doubt if SOE have the resources to implement it but you never know.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
thorin1

Loremaster

Why waste the resources on a entrie server?? Just find a progression guild on your current server Im sure there are few that are still in Mastercrafted gear and struggling thru eof content.  Ooooh what fun.  LOL.

thorin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Elskidor

Loremaster

thorin1 wrote:

Why waste the resources on a entrie server?? Just find a progression guild on your current server Im sure there are few that are still in Mastercrafted gear and struggling thru eof content.  Ooooh what fun.  LOL.

Utterly boring and isn't anywhere near what a real progression server is.