EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #2491
Heph

Loremaster

If I'm right, it's sunday afternoon in the beautyfull city of San Diego. So i'd like to thank you Piestro for giving us some answers on your own free time.

Even if i'm very disapointed with what SoE is doing, I greatly appreciate your actions

Heph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #2492
Lempo

Loremaster

sojurn1 wrote:

Wait until monday and if the soe team come back with

*no to keeping ip unlocked

*no to free x fers

*no to grandfather acounts being payed under soe

*no for any other things posted in pages gone by

Then see what will happen whan players subs run out and servers have only tumble weed blowing across norrath

Did you just use Monday as a illustrative date or are you under the impression that anyone other that Piestro at SOE actually spent a fraction of a second thinking about this over the weekend?

EDIT: He already caught me. Being only involved in the EQ2 side of this I forgot I guess some other CM's of other products took time to address concerns over this too.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #2493
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

Pipsissiwa wrote:

There is no way in hell this is "just a publishing deal". If it was, it would NOT be this complicated or messed up, it really, really wouldn't. The players would barely have needed to know, let alone have their game experience affected so badly.

Since we're talking about Alaplaya, I have absolutely no doubt that they'll turn EUEQ2 into a pay-to-win game. That's their modus operandi. Only way that S4 makes profit is by suckering newbies into paying before they figure out how broken the game is. There is one born every minute, as the saying goes.

Different product, comparing what has been done with any other Alaplaya product has very little to do with EQ2.

It is true that what has been done with Alaplaya products in the past does not imply that such will be done to EQ2 in the future.

However, this player base has been told, too many times in too many other contexts, that various changes would "never" come to EQ2. Things change, plans change, business models change, so there's no reason to trust that what Euro EQ2 looks like now will be what it looks like a year or so from now.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #2494
Piestro

Community Relations

[email protected] wrote:

sojurn1 wrote:

*no to free x fers

Then see what will happen whan players subs run out and servers have only tumble weed blowing across norrath

Did you just use Monday as a illustrative date or are you under the impression that anyone other that Piestro at SOE actually spent a fraction of a second thinking about this over the weekend?

There are certainly others involved in this matter over the weekend than just me. SMILEY Monday is pretty early however, because any communication on this topic will involve many people from around the world, including a number of different time zones, I'd ask for patience. We're moving at speed internally, but there are still many levels of communication that need to be gone through. 

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #2495
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

If I'm right, it's sunday afternoon in the beautyfull city of San Diego.

You're close -- it's almost noon, PST. It is, however, a gloriously beautiful California day.

Thanks, Piestro, for taking time out of this lovely day to respond to us.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2496
Piestro

Community Relations

Freejazzlive wrote:

Piestro wrote:

Pipsissiwa wrote:

There is no way in hell this is "just a publishing deal". If it was, it would NOT be this complicated or messed up, it really, really wouldn't. The players would barely have needed to know, let alone have their game experience affected so badly.

Since we're talking about Alaplaya, I have absolutely no doubt that they'll turn EUEQ2 into a pay-to-win game. That's their modus operandi. Only way that S4 makes profit is by suckering newbies into paying before they figure out how broken the game is. There is one born every minute, as the saying goes.

Different product, comparing what has been done with any other Alaplaya product has very little to do with EQ2.

It is true that what has been done with Alaplaya products in the past does not imply that such will be done to EQ2 in the future.

However, this player base has been told, too many times in too many other contexts, that various changes would "never" come to EQ2. Things change, plans change, business models change, so there's no reason to trust that what Euro EQ2 looks like now will be what it looks like a year or so from now.

Never is a terrible word. I've used it before and usually rue when I do so. I like to believe that your divine being of choice (or not as the case may be) is quite amused when we use it. Let's go with extremely highly unlikely.

There is a big difference between "never have beastlords" and "will not change this into a pay to win game". Beastlords or not is an aesthetic choice, pay to win is a fundamental shift in game and corporate philosophy. And no, I do not believe anything on the marketplace currently remotely approaches pay to win.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2497
Ruut Li

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

Pipsissiwa wrote:

Track record says a lot. Are you trying to be provocative on purpose?

Ruut Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2498
Piestro

Community Relations

Freejazzlive wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If I'm right, it's sunday afternoon in the beautyfull city of San Diego.

You're close -- it's almost noon, PST. It is, however, a gloriously beautiful California day.

Thanks, Piestro, for taking time out of this lovely day to respond to us.

I have a few minutes, happy to spend them with you all.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #2499
Piestro

Community Relations

Ruut Li wrote:

Piestro wrote:

Pipsissiwa wrote:

Track record says a lot. Are you trying to be provocative on purpose?

History does not determine our futures. Someone expressed a concern, I (being somewhat of an insider to the process) don't believe that this concern is warranted. SOE will continue to develop the product (as is stated in the FAQ) and there is no plan to change direction in that manner. It would be bad for the game, bad for the players, and therefore a bad idea.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #2500
sojurn1

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

sojurn1 wrote:

*no to free x fers

Did you just use Monday as a illustrative date or are you under the impression that anyone other that Piestro at SOE actually spent a fraction of a second thinking about this over the weekend?

used Monday as a illustrative date

sojurn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #2501
Ruut Li

Loremaster

its easy to be philosophical about it when you're in the US.

Ruut Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #2502
Raiwon

Loremaster

The only thing that can soften the blow is leave all existing servers as they are.

(or fuse splitpaw with the usa server pool )

That would surely help to get some of the population we already lost back.

And give p7s1 a fresh server so everyone there can start on a fresh page.

It would be a fair solution imo.

Raiwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #2503
Dessellion4

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

History does not determine our futures. Someone expressed a concern, I (being somewhat of an insider to the process) don't believe that this concern is warranted. SOE will continue to develop the product (as is stated in the FAQ) and there is no plan to change direction in that manner. It would be bad for the game, bad for the players, and therefore a bad idea.

Surprising that you are able to state that SOE have no plans to develop EQ2 in a way that is bad for the game, bad for the players etc and yet the whole reason for this lengthy thread is because of plans that we know are bad for the game, bad for the players and certainly bad ideas.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #2504
Moldylocks

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

[email protected]_old wrote:

I was responding to people wanting SJ or windstalker to post...what more can they say?  

Well, it would be very interesting to read their thoughts on the whole process behind this decision. For example, I'd love to have someone from SOE explain to me why nobody realized that region locks were going to be a non-starter.

While you're entirely correct about corporations not realizing the ramifications of their decisions, the point I'm raising is WHY AREN'T they realizing these ramifications? Just like the REALID fiasco, we're talking about playerbase reactions that a relatively bright high school kid could have predicted, without doing any market research at all.

So, I refuse to believe that people who have university degrees in things like business management & marketing didn't see it.

In terms of moving forward, I'm not sure what can be done. If SOE/Pro7 come out & announce the removal of region locks, they will effectively be admitting that they never had a reason for region locking in the first place, which might cause them to lose accounts from people realizing that someone making the SOE decisions isn't very good at it ... if they don't, they might risk losing even more accounts from outraged players.

Either way, at this point it might be helpful for someone higher up the SOE food chain to apologize for all the angst caused. IMO it has been utterly irresponsible & unprofessional on SOE's part to have lower level Community Managers be responsible for the brunt of player anger. This is a decision that should have had Smedley, Windstalker, &/or Smokejumper explanations from the very beginning. So, what do we expect them to say? I dunno, but THE TRUTH would help.

I've seen Dave come on to the forums to talk about minor, mostly insignificant issues.  Given the magnitude of this deal, its implications, the general disruption its caused and the degree of player upset PLUS the fact that they are losing revenue now from cancelled subs, its baffling that there has been zero meaningful involvement from any higher management.  Its very low to bring in a new guy to face the mob while the people that should be here aren't.

In addition, has anyone received any emails regarding this deal?  Not everyone comes on to the forums.  I'm sure there are people out there who don't even know this is in the wind.  It seems weird that we'd get constant notifications for Station Cash in our inbox, but when it comes to fundamental account changes like this a general message wasn't sent out.  I'd hate to be that person who found out after it was too late to do anything.

Moldylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #2505
Torvos

Loremaster

I seem to have just gotten an alaplaya e-mail, dispite both never singing up for any of their services, playing their games, or ever giving them any reason to contact me.  The e-mail was in my spam folder ( through Hotmail ), and my EQ2 forum username ( Torvos ) was in the header. Is this SoE's doing?

*edited for more information*

Torvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #2506
Grystan

Loremaster

dieatmyhands wrote:

well tried to cancel my account but the page has been not available for two days now, so i will go through my bank, if i cannot play with my american friends who have been playing with since i first transferred here from another server then i dont want to play at all.

WHY were we not given a choice to accept or decline this new server/firm. if i want to give my money to a firm it should be my choice and not be forced on me, but why am i not surprised by soe it seems all they care about is money has been that way for a long time now this is just one step too much for me.

SO thks SOE for destroying my entertainment.

Well if you care to look up sony on  wiki, and look at the number of small companies that made good products, that sony bought out and then ruined, then yes all that matter to them is money...head of sony corp is a bankers son so that says volumes.

so really if there was money to be made or a loss to have reduced you were going to find yourself sooner or later under another company, and you have two choices cancel or suck it up, only really in 3 -6 months time will this be seen as a  great business move or a total cods up, by other business's mind not by us.

Grystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #2507
Kasar

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

Either way, at this point it might be helpful for someone higher up the SOE food chain to apologize for all the angst caused. IMO it has been utterly irresponsible & unprofessional on SOE's part to have lower level Community Managers be responsible for the brunt of player anger. This is a decision that should have had Smedley, Windstalker, &/or Smokejumper explanations from the very beginning. So, what do we expect them to say? I dunno, but THE TRUTH would help.

Communication has dwindled to SC announcements, as has been commented on for weeks, but the tower doors remained closed.  SJ went on vacation and it went almost completely silent during that time, then nothing much after that.

Even shooters like BF3 are having player protests due to a lack of forthcoming information according to Kotaku articles, it really isn't rocket science here, nor are the requests for interaction unique to this game.  Ignoring things to let rumors and misinformation build for weeks just seems incomprehensible for any business, not just a game company.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #2508
sojurn1

Loremaster

Torvos wrote:

I seem to have just gotten an alaplaya e-mail, dispite both never singing up for any of their services, playing their games, or ever giving them any reason to contact me.  The e-mail was in my spam folder ( through Hotmail ), and my EQ2 forum username ( Torvos ) was in the header. Is this SoE's doing?

would be interesting to see it considering no one's info was to be given

Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #2509
Torvos

Loremaster

sojurn1 wrote:

Torvos wrote:

Would posting a screenshot of the e-mail here violate any major rules?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #2510
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

I'm posting this on behalf of a new player in a guild of mine, who cannot reply here because of the forum restrictions:

Hello everyone.

I am a returning player from some time ago.  I have always enjoyed EverQuest2 and their community, and wanted to come back when it went free to play.  I even got myslef a sub a short time later when I saw so many things I like about this game!

Until I saw this.

This is the worst idea I have ever read.  I understand the politics of business, but what you are doing is just plain wrong.  You are taking a community that has become close knit, no matter what server, gender, class, or style of gaming they do, and telling them "Because WE want more money and publishing, WE decided to split you up.  So there".

Do you know what it's like to come onto your server and watch people say goodbye and quit?  Or those whom you have known for a long time leave?  It is painful, and it seems the almighty dollar has ruled over community to your company's eyes.

Yes, I did read the post about going back to talking, and yes I have looked at other posts from this company you are going with.  And they have MANY bad strikes against them even in their own country.  And yet, WHY do you want to ally with them?  Oh yes ... $$

I am not ashamed to say I have no problem dropping my account sub so fast it leaves burn marks in my wallet if this goes through.  It will KILL my small guild.  KILL IT.  And you don't seem to care.  I will happily spend my money on WoW and SW:ToR with companies who gives two figs about their community and do not do this.

I am keeping my eyes here, and pray something reasonable can be agreed upon.  If not, then I bid you adieu.

~DancingSun

Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #2511
SOE-MOD-04

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50011...post_id=5724622 Removed for petitioning. Petitioning is against the forum guidelines.
SOE-MOD-04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #2512
Iskandar

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

We're moving at speed internally, but there are still many levels of communication that need to be gone through. 

Please make sure that communication with your customers is included among those levels. The silence from your superiors is... disappointing, to say the least.

Iskandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #2513
percival33

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

History does not determine our futures. Someone expressed a concern, I (being somewhat of an insider to the process) don't believe that this concern is warranted.

And yet you guys never saw this outrage coming.

percival33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #2514
Dessellion4

Loremaster

So we can expect ze Masterplan on Monday - please excuse my flippancy.

I wish I could believe that these great thinkers have managed to solve this problem in a week when they've had months to spot it in the first place.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #2515
Wizardlord
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Acolytes of Valor

Loremaster

Torvos wrote:

sojurn1 wrote:

Torvos wrote:

no it wont break any rules unless it contains personal information (just blank them out if it does)

Wizardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #2516
Lempo

Loremaster

Torvos wrote:

sojurn1 wrote:

Torvos wrote:

nope not at all, you should obscure your email/real name though

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #2517
Torvos

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Torvos wrote:

sojurn1 wrote:

Torvos wrote:

Done. This should work, haven't had to upload a screenshot in a while. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-image...14/emaildl.jpg/

Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #2518
Wizardlord
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Acolytes of Valor

Loremaster

Torvos wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Torvos wrote:

sojurn1 wrote:

Torvos wrote:

Done. This should work, haven't had to upload a screenshot in a while. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-image...14/emaildl.jpg/

just shoving it in the post so people can see it

Wizardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #2519
sojurn1

Loremaster

interesting piestro already said monday will be posible to early ,to one of my posts

Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #2520
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Guy De Alsace wrote:

I think the scots would be a bit annoyed if we got a St George's day on Splitpaw...and the muslims for that matter

What on Earth are you talking about? There aren't Jews and Muslims rioting in the streets across the world on the 25th of December. Atleast point out a valid concern.

Like whether or not they have taken into consideration all the military servicemen(and women) across the world, U.S. or other wise, that play the game with their friends and family.

I said "annoyed". Since when did "annoyed" mean "rioting in the streets?"

I'd hate to live where you are...

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote