EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #61
LardLord

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,515
Default

The sad thing is that I don't think you'll find EQ2's style of raiding, where you gear up and progress gradually, in any of the "modern" MMOs.  It seems the norm is for hardcore guilds to clear all the content in a matter of days/weeks, which doesn't really lend itself to "competitive" raiding or a strong sense of accomplishment.

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #62
Mohee

Lord
Mohee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
Default

Raiders are not a dying breed.

They're being killed off.

There's plenty of people who want to raid, or people who do raid, but doesn't last long due to the state of DoV Raid zones and poor itemization.

What we need is an actual team of SOE members that play the game as if normal people, Devs and others that band together to not only group, but raid too. Without using their /giveitem command or insta kill or GM gear. Then they'd see just how broken raids and itemization is, and would have more of a hands on, in-depth look on what needs to be fixed or changed and in what way they can do it that would make sense.

I ponder the thought of, How long would it take for a guild of 24 SOE employees to to get from 1-90 and then conquer all raid content legitly.

I'd pay to see that SMILEY

__________________


EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #63
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis
Rank: Cavalier

Loremaster
Odys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,422
Default

Yeap SLR is also a big incentive not to raid.

__________________
Odys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #64
Kunaak

Loremaster
Kunaak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,081
Default

once people started seeing a entire raid could wipe cause 1 person missed/died during a class debuff - people started leaving.

during this expansion, well over half the people I knew in this game in the last few years simply stopped playing, or changed to only casual EM raiders.

multiple times, on 20-30 minute long kills, have I seen 1 scout have to joust into a AE to try and get a class debuff on a name - die, cause thats the chance he had to take, if he didnt try it was a garaunteed wipe, if he dies trying, atleast there was a shot..... and that one death, leads the mob to get some incredibly strong buff that no tank can survive more then a few seconds on, and then a entire raid wipes.

seeing that kinda scripting, its no wonder people dont want to raid.

then you mix in memwipes and coop strikes on the same mob, or target locks + uncurable things that wipe groups... or any number of horrible ideas, and its no wonder people are quitting.

theres a mob in HM drunder right now, where you need to have 3 healers on a tank, while dealing with adds - not cause the incoming damage is so high, but cause that one group can repeatedly get curses, and sometimes those curses stack. the other day, we had the MT get the same curse 3 times in about 20 seconds - we wiped cause that group simply had no curses cures left, and while we're dealing with adds - we cant exactly run over and try to save them too.

we feedback these kinda things, and rarely see anything done about them - which is incredibly frustrating.

Kunaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #65
Mermut

Loremaster
Mermut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 852
Default

Kunaak wrote:

theres a mob in HM drunder right now, where you need to have 3 healers on a tank, while dealing with adds - not cause the incoming damage is so high, but cause that one group can repeatedly get curses, and sometimes those curses stack. the other day, we had the MT get the same curse 3 times in about 20 seconds - we wiped cause that group simply had no curses cures left, and while we're dealing with adds - we cant exactly run over and try to save them too.

While I agreen in general, cure curse can be cast cross-group on anybody in the raid, so there is no reason to have three healers in one group for a cure curse issue.

__________________
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, But not hang it by the neck until dead.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #66
ranga

Loremaster
ranga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 393
Default

Kunaak wrote:

once people started seeing a entire raid could wipe cause 1 person missed/died during a class debuff - people started leaving.

during this expansion, well over half the people I knew in this game in the last few years simply stopped playing, or changed to only casual EM raiders.

multiple times, on 20-30 minute long kills, have I seen 1 scout have to joust into a AE to try and get a class debuff on a name - die, cause thats the chance he had to take, if he didnt try it was a garaunteed wipe, if he dies trying, atleast there was a shot..... and that one death, leads the mob to get some incredibly strong buff that no tank can survive more then a few seconds on, and then a entire raid wipes.

seeing that kinda scripting, its no wonder people dont want to raid.

then you mix in memwipes and coop strikes on the same mob, or target locks + uncurable things that wipe groups... or any number of horrible ideas, and its no wonder people are quitting.

theres a mob in HM drunder right now, where you need to have 3 healers on a tank, while dealing with adds - not cause the incoming damage is so high, but cause that one group can repeatedly get curses, and sometimes those curses stack. the other day, we had the MT get the same curse 3 times in about 20 seconds - we wiped cause that group simply had no curses cures left, and while we're dealing with adds - we cant exactly run over and try to save them too.

we feedback these kinda things, and rarely see anything done about them - which is incredibly frustrating.

I don't know if the range on the debuff is different for scouts, but on my coercer, I can hit HM Tert from the west dock when he is on the east dock easily, no joust required.

I don't disagree though, the broken bits should be fixed and coop strike should be consigned to SC where no one would buy it SMILEY

__________________
The official comment from ProSiebenSat.1 on segregation -

We do not think about a transfer of US server chars from EU costumers in Eq2. That should solve the biggest worries the EQ2 community has at the moment. We do not want to interfere with long build ingame relationships. This is the current way we think about it.

ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #67
Leovinus

Loremaster
Leovinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 403
Default

ranga wrote:

Kunaak wrote:

once people started seeing a entire raid could wipe cause 1 person missed/died during a class debuff - people started leaving.

during this expansion, well over half the people I knew in this game in the last few years simply stopped playing, or changed to only casual EM raiders.

multiple times, on 20-30 minute long kills, have I seen 1 scout have to joust into a AE to try and get a class debuff on a name - die, cause thats the chance he had to take, if he didnt try it was a garaunteed wipe, if he dies trying, atleast there was a shot..... and that one death, leads the mob to get some incredibly strong buff that no tank can survive more then a few seconds on, and then a entire raid wipes.

seeing that kinda scripting, its no wonder people dont want to raid.

then you mix in memwipes and coop strikes on the same mob, or target locks + uncurable things that wipe groups... or any number of horrible ideas, and its no wonder people are quitting.

theres a mob in HM drunder right now, where you need to have 3 healers on a tank, while dealing with adds - not cause the incoming damage is so high, but cause that one group can repeatedly get curses, and sometimes those curses stack. the other day, we had the MT get the same curse 3 times in about 20 seconds - we wiped cause that group simply had no curses cures left, and while we're dealing with adds - we cant exactly run over and try to save them too.

we feedback these kinda things, and rarely see anything done about them - which is incredibly frustrating.

I don't know if the range on the debuff is different for scouts, but on my coercer, I can hit HM Tert from the west dock when he is on the east dock easily, no joust required.

I don't disagree though, the broken bits should be fixed and coop strike should be consigned to SC where no one would buy it

The scout debuff range is different, it's 10 meters, so double melee range, which is, for all intents and purposes, in the highest (rear arc) damage range of most AEs (technically the second, but with as much is usually going on, jousting to a point that's precise to <10 meters but >9 meters is frustratingly difficult, not to mention that that second distance range usually doesn't mitigate all that much damage.

Someone over there really needs to reign in the dev in charge of raid content and mechanics design.  Someone once likened his raid design as him considering it playing chess against the players, but at the top end it's more like he's doing that, but not on a level playing field, he's replaced all his pawns with queens, and changes the rules of the game for every encounter.

Here's a hint devs, the way raid design and progression has gone, it might work in a healthy raid environment where there are tons of raid forces working in at least hardmode original release.  This isn't the way your game currently is, and things like the debuff, the obvious lack of control and simply an aging game are to blame.  You should be designing the game such that a significant portion of those that would LIKE to raid do so and successfully.  You think having MAYBE one guild per server earning access to PoW possibly within NINE months of it's supposed release (even this remains to be seen) is an appropriate design philosophy?  Let me tell you, it's nothing but frustrating as hell, and even a good proportion your most ardent supporters of things like the x2 debuff have moved on.

Leovinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #68
Chefren

Loremaster
Chefren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 397
Default

Apart from the pathing crap and other bugs, there is a big design flaw in DoV raiding: first you beat the zones in easymode which is relatively easy and fun. Then... you get to beat the same bloody mobs again with a couple of changes to make them harder and also much more annoying.

In SF the hardmodes were in general different fights .. ok maybe not the sages but in most cases the fights were completely different. In earlier expansions you didn't even have the HM/EM split but genuinely new zones. In DoV when you clear zones you can only look forward to more of the same, just in more frustrating packages for 1% better gear.

Theer was good because the difficulty came from reacting to things and comping up with solutions on the spot. In most other raid fights you just keep practicing the script until you get good enough at it. Not surprisingly, Theer is one of the things from the game I will remember with genuine fondness.

__________________
Chefren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #69
SpineDoc

Loremaster
SpineDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 651
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Apart from the pathing crap and other bugs, there is a big design flaw in DoV raiding: first you beat the zones in easymode which is relatively easy and fun. Then... you get to beat the same bloody mobs again with a couple of changes to make them harder and also much more annoying.

In SF the hardmodes were in general different fights .. ok maybe not the sages but in most cases the fights were completely different. In earlier expansions you didn't even have the HM/EM split but genuinely new zones. In DoV when you clear zones you can only look forward to more of the same, just in more frustrating packages for 1% better gear.

Theer was good because the difficulty came from reacting to things and comping up with solutions on the spot. In most other raid fights you just keep practicing the script until you get good enough at it. Not surprisingly, Theer is one of the things from the game I will remember with genuine fondness.

Excellent point.  EM/HM is a lazy and apathetic way of trying to provide content for casual raiders versus hardcore raiders, and whatever fits in between those definitions.  But as a raid I do NOT want to kill the same boss again in the same dungeon.  Really the EM/HM structure boils down to less content, as you said simply making a single dungeon and a single boss, but just changing some of the scripts and stats of the HM encounter. 

Above and beyond all the well stated things about raiding that have already been said we have an additional strike against SOE in the form of BOREDOM.  Great, we finished EM, now lets go do it all over again for our .1% stat increases, boring bosses, boring gear, boring progression, etc.

__________________
92 Inquisitor

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #70
Banditman

Loremaster
Banditman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,459
Default

The biggest issue with EM / HM is that a guild who has completed EM doesn't really have desire to do it again.  Yet, they still have to do it, over and over and over again in order to replace the players who move on.  You can't just grab the potentially talented by woefully undergeared player and bring them along to whatever you're doing.  They'll simply die repeatedly and heal the mob.

This is the real problem with the EM / HM design template.

I can think of numerous ways to fix this problem, but SOE clearly isn't interested in player input.

__________________
Banditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #71
Netty

Loremaster
Netty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 227
Default

This expack has been one of the worst in anoying scripts. Co-op strike change was good since it removed some of the luck you needed to have. This has been on of the worst expansions tanking imo. There is just so much that is going one with memwipes, Stifle, stun, target locks, Knock ups, power drains, Co-op strike, Death touch, aoes that need to be countered.

Power drain is the biggest down side to it imo... So much power drain that the chanters cant really keep up with the feeding. I know you still can get it to work but this has been so over used in this expack....

Crit mit is the biggest fail we have gotten in raids these days imo. Never liked it and never will. Its hell for guilds to recruit atm. And kinda much all guilds want players to be atleast EM geared since i can only speak for myself but going back doing EM to gear up new recruits is something i dont like when we should progress. And to the fact that you dont even know yet if that player do cut it as a raider or is going to leave any time soon. Gear should make you better aye i agree with that. But gear shouldent be a have or die on every litle aoe. This is a huge block for many guilds atm and i think its one of the biggest reason so many recruit so much atm.

Player skill is just a lack of intrest and low lvl stuff to do imo. bet you 99% of the few new players that get into this game will spend nearly 100% solo up to 90 and when they are there they dont know anything about playing their toon well. Dont blame it on that it is a old game its soe that havent put the any game ads out and that have failed this game more than ever.

Another issue with Tert hm i dont like is the memwipe when hes porting over. The more dps your raid will do the harder it will get for the tank to snap it back. Its easy on my monk or guard since they both have the tools needed to get it back fast. Its hell on my zerk since i have to burn 2-3 snap aggros to get it back that wont be back up for the next round. I think many others see this aswell. Its just anoying.

x2 Debuff is just lame...

Tank loot however should have the same chance to drop as any other loot. Same chance for everyone. The fail in it is that you only need max 3 tanks in a raid and alot more of the other classes. They should just make it drop 3 patterns of every mob as in normal HM. Drunder EM as many have said could have been done well. But trying to gear up ppl in drunder EM is just a joke and you get more out of gearing them in normal EM. 1 pattern... As i said it should be 3 all around.

i Also agree with einina EM to HM is kinda much the same zone again... So you dont get a feeling you are doing something new... Just the same thing with abit more stupid stuff added. I loved SF myself. Tox was a awsome fight to tank. Waansu was ok aswell but they could have remove the running and klicking all the time.... Theer is by far one of the best raid mobs ever imo. It had it all. Thats a great way of making stuff hard with out making it stupid and about luck imo. You just had to focus ALOT on it and not just the tanks and healers everyone.

Netty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #72
Banditman

Loremaster
Banditman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,459
Default

Netty wrote:

 The fail in it is that you only need max 3 tanks in a raid .

Haven't done much Drunder yet I see.

__________________
Banditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #73
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 634
Default

IvyBlackrose wrote:

im a casual and personally I play this game for the decorating side of the house I could care less if the raiders are here or not

Then why are you commenting on this thread, Qeynos Barbie?

Go charge a raider 1200pp to decorate their house and tell me again that SLR inflates the game economy.

__________________
Laenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #74
Netty

Loremaster
Netty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 227
Default

Banditman wrote:

Netty wrote:

 The fail in it is that you only need max 3 tanks in a raid .

Haven't done much Drunder yet I see.

Who cares about if you might need for on  1 - 2 fights? It still dont beat the overload of other classes on raids. Take scouts. 4 bards and 2-3 dps scout if not more all about how your raid is built. Same with mages 4 chanters and a few dps and so on. healers 6-8. There is no way you will use anywhere near that in fighters just everything is so focused on having the right set up to get out the most dps poss.

Netty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #75
Banditman

Loremaster
Banditman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,459
Default

Is there something that prevents a Fighter from applying DPS to the mob?

It's also not "1 or 2 fights".  I can easily name twice that many fights where having four Fighters when breaking the encounter is more than just helpful, if not outright required.

We definitely utilize a "swing" player as part of our raid force, which is to say he gears both a Fighter and a DPS class, which we swap out as needed.  Nevertheless, your point is a little short sighted.  If you think about it long enough you'll see why.

The only thing which I think was a problem in relation to Fighter gear was that Fighter weapons should have been crated from the outset, so that there weren't a disproportionate number of Fighter weapons cluttering up the loot tables.  There is really no excuse for a loot table to contain 4 Fighter weapons, 1 Scout weapon, 2 Priest weapons and 2 Mage weapons.  However, as soon as you fix that problem for Fighters, you've then got to fix it for Priests and Mages as well.

I don't think there would have been nearly as much outcry if all the weapons had been crated to start with.  A crate drops, it's either Fighter, Priest, Scout or Mage.  You get the crate, you pick the weapon.  Problem solved.

I should be a developer.

__________________
Banditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #76
Netty

Loremaster
Netty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 227
Default

I dont really understand you now. When did i say that it was good when there was 3 fighter items and only one scout? I said that items need to have the same drop rate for all the classes and that i think fighter gear should not have less drop rate only since most guild use 2-4 fighters. I also said that chest should drop 3 items not 1 as it does in drunder EM. Like it does on the normal HM.

Netty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #77
Chronus1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 253
Default

Would be nice to have one dev that raids at a high end tbh, I doubt there is one judging by the glaringly obvious problems.

__________________
Chronus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #78
japanfour

Loremaster
japanfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 119
Default

Do you guys ever think that loot is this way to slow progression because perhaps they are behind on designing/developing things? I mean, the way the hardmode drunder encounters are at the moment slow your raid down, the lack of loot ( funny how loot is different here drop wise in HM drunder than it is in HM kael, being that the loot in DoV is so similar and linear.) 

I  assume that once they are done slowing things down for the sake of their poor development speed, Drunder will be alot different, I bet loot will be the same as kael in drunder/HM drunder once they fix this undeveloped, untested mess that they continuously release. I mean, if this stuff was tested, wouldnt it be doable as released? I mean at the very least by the top 5 guilds right? Wrong. They keep these impossible challenges there for a reason, stopping your progression to fit their rate of development. Nothing more.

When I raid HM drunder I feel like I am testing it for them, on my sub money, and I think thats what SOE intends to keep doing, because they know they will always have a good portion of people that are willing to do just that. Those people that complain about broken encounters? They need you around, so they dont have to do extensive testing and "waste money" like a company like bioware, or blizzard would do. So they basically employ you and you pay them. This is what they must utilize their petition systems for, as I send petitions weekly, and I know others from guilds I have been with have done the same.

people constantly preach a decline in the playerbase of this game and it just wont happen, people are hooked, alot of people play this game and consider it an extension of their own life ( I know alot of older people, and disabled people that play this game, and alot of them have found a second chance through this game to exist without any judgements, or be able to relive entirely). I really feel for that crowd, but it seems kind of obvious that SOE is catering to their existence in this game by constantly adding new visual elements, mounts, and so on. I bet that DoV will be the last expansion with difficult raiding because of the niche market this company creates and exploits.

So guys, why buy into this mess any longer? You really think its going to change?

__________________


japanfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #79
Banditman

Loremaster
Banditman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,459
Default

With the current management at the helm?  Probably not.  However, perhaps someone from higher up will take notice of the mass dissatisfaction.

__________________
Banditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #80
Leovinus

Loremaster
Leovinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 403
Default

japanfour wrote:

Do you guys ever think that loot is this way to slow progression because perhaps they are behind on designing/developing things? I mean, the way the hardmode drunder encounters are at the moment slow your raid down, the lack of loot ( funny how loot is different here drop wise in HM drunder than it is in HM kael, being that the loot in DoV is so similar and linear.) 

I  assume that once they are done slowing things down for the sake of their poor development speed, Drunder will be alot different, I bet loot will be the same as kael in drunder/HM drunder once they fix this undeveloped, untested mess that they continuously release. I mean, if this stuff was tested, wouldnt it be doable as released? I mean at the very least by the top 5 guilds right? Wrong. They keep these impossible challenges there for a reason, stopping your progression to fit their rate of development. Nothing more.

When I raid HM drunder I feel like I am testing it for them, on my sub money, and I think thats what SOE intends to keep doing, because they know they will always have a good portion of people that are willing to do just that. Those people that complain about broken encounters? They need you around, so they dont have to do extensive testing and "waste money" like a company like bioware, or blizzard would do. So they basically employ you and you pay them. This is what they must utilize their petition systems for, as I send petitions weekly, and I know others from guilds I have been with have done the same.

people constantly preach a decline in the playerbase of this game and it just wont happen, people are hooked, alot of people play this game and consider it an extension of their own life ( I know alot of older people, and disabled people that play this game, and alot of them have found a second chance through this game to exist without any judgements, or be able to relive entirely). I really feel for that crowd, but it seems kind of obvious that SOE is catering to their existence in this game by constantly adding new visual elements, mounts, and so on. I bet that DoV will be the last expansion with difficult raiding because of the niche market this company creates and exploits.

So guys, why buy into this mess any longer? You really think its going to change?

Well, they're on record saying they wanted guilds in PoW by the first of the year, so I don't think that's the case.  I know they're also on record as saying things they've also failed to do, so it's not necessarily this way, but with more raids [supposedly] coming in April now, I think they need to at least get guilds into PoW to start testing that, so they can fix it at their snail's pace.

I think one of the biggest problems with the way they "fix" encounter design right now, is they keep making slow nerfs until stuff becomes *just* killable by the absolute top end, and then seem to think it's good enough.  What they don't take into account is that the absolute top end that's actually making real headway into HM drunder right now also has a significantly easier time of the whole process, considering they have better recruitment ability (yes, believe it or not, even though the recruitment for the top 5 WW is probably crap, it's leagues better and easier than for the #2-#10 guild on a server).  As much as it pains me, the nerfs need to go much further than they have, possibly by 25-30% (I don't know what actual numbers need to be, but suggesting something big because it might actually be so big considering the atrophy of the raiding population), so that we're looking at a case where a more significant portion of whatever raiding population is left can make real progress into the hardest stuff available.

Think about it, unless the raid design philosophy has shifted, HM Drunder and then PoW are more of the introductory HM for the overall Velious raid arc, like Toxx, sages, twins, and waansu were for SF, it's not supposed to be like wing 3.

Leovinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #81
japanfour

Loremaster
japanfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 119
Default

Sony has said alot of things in the past on record, how relevant or true do those things ring now?This game wont be free to play ever!This game has had no exodus!

People love dungeon maker!

__________________


japanfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #82
japanfour

Loremaster
japanfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 119
Default

the fact that they make slow nerfs is because they need to make a rate of improvement that is the bare minimum for your tolerance. I have no reason to believe that much man hours are going towards the improvement of the actual content in this game. If there was money or man hours being dedicated to this then I assume whoever monitors the production of the development team would probably fire the developers, as they have been wasting alot of company hours and resources. I am sorry it just doesnt add up, atleast in comparison to what is being consistently released by this company. Look at the company that SOE has decided a partnership, look at their track record. Do you really see them sticking to their word? Cmon. srsly guyz. Srsly.

__________________


japanfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #83
LardLord

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,515
Default

Leovinus wrote:

Well, they're on record saying they wanted guilds in PoW by the first of the year, so I don't think that's the case.  I know they're also on record as saying things they've also failed to do, so it's not necessarily this way, but with more raids [supposedly] coming in April now, I think they need to at least get guilds into PoW to start testing that, so they can fix it at their snail's pace.

I think one of the biggest problems with the way they "fix" encounter design right now, is they keep making slow nerfs until stuff becomes *just* killable by the absolute top end, and then seem to think it's good enough.  What they don't take into account is that the absolute top end that's actually making real headway into HM drunder right now also has a significantly easier time of the whole process, considering they have better recruitment ability (yes, believe it or not, even though the recruitment for the top 5 WW is probably crap, it's leagues better and easier than for the #2-#10 guild on a server).  As much as it pains me, the nerfs need to go much further than they have, possibly by 25-30% (I don't know what actual numbers need to be, but suggesting something big because it might actually be so big considering the atrophy of the raiding population), so that we're looking at a case where a more significant portion of whatever raiding population is left can make real progress into the hardest stuff available.

Think about it, unless the raid design philosophy has shifted, HM Drunder and then PoW are more of the introductory HM for the overall Velious raid arc, like Toxx, sages, twins, and waansu were for SF, it's not supposed to be like wing 3.

Don't you have to gear up new recruits before they're ready for Drunder? I would think that'd be the biggest problem, but maybe they've nerfed Drunder enough now that the crit mit and crit avoidance checks aren't very rigid.  To me, Drunder seemed more like a whole new expansion than just a new zone, except they didn't reset the gear.

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #84
Banditman

Loremaster
Banditman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,459
Default

Yea, you definitely have to gear up for HM Drunder.  It's a pretty big step in crit / crit mit requirement from ToRZ.

__________________
Banditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #85
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Leovinus wrote:

Don't you have to gear up new recruits before they're ready for Drunder? I would think that'd be the biggest problem, but maybe they've nerfed Drunder enough now that the crit mit and crit avoidance checks aren't very rigid.  To me, Drunder seemed more like a whole new expansion than just a new zone, except they didn't reset the gear.

We need an 80/20 rule for CM similar to what we had for flagging in EQ1. 

If 80% of the raid has enough CM to negate being criticaled by a mob, it should also prevent the other 20%. 

I can think of some other creative ways to accomplish this, but the issue of gearing recruits is significant and is greatly diminishing the 'fun' in raiding.

I can see an alternative of a guild hall amenity (Armorer) that sells generic no-stat armor that is just loaded with CM.  Then add some no-trade bauble that drops off boss mobs the same way shards do.  Turning that item into the merchant unlocks the generic sets of gear needed to negate CM for the zone you've cleared.

These things don't address the CC side of things, but really in terms of recruitment that isn't the main issue.  I think we would all be significantly happier gearing our recruits by killing things meaningful to us rather than farming old zones.

*EDIT*

Actually, just frackin remove CM from the game entirely and let the game go back to player skill as the primary barrier to progression.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #86
Miapa

Loremaster
Miapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 281
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Leovinus wrote:

Don't you have to gear up new recruits before they're ready for Drunder? I would think that'd be the biggest problem, but maybe they've nerfed Drunder enough now that the crit mit and crit avoidance checks aren't very rigid.  To me, Drunder seemed more like a whole new expansion than just a new zone, except they didn't reset the gear.

We need an 80/20 rule for CM similar to what we had for flagging in EQ1. 

If 80% of the raid has enough CM to negate being criticaled by a mob, it should also prevent the other 20%. 

I can think of some other creative ways to accomplish this, but the issue of gearing recruits is significant and is greatly diminishing the 'fun' in raiding.

I can see an alternative of a guild hall amenity (Armorer) that sells generic no-stat armor that is just loaded with CM.  Then add some no-trade bauble that drops off boss mobs the same way shards do.  Turning that item into the merchant unlocks the generic sets of gear needed to negate CM for the zone you've cleared.

These things don't address the CC side of things, but really in terms of recruitment that isn't the main issue.  I think we would all be significantly happier gearing our recruits by killing things meaningful to us rather than farming old zones.

*EDIT*

Actually, just frackin remove CM from the game entirely and let the game go back to player skill as the primary barrier to progression.

I agree, I can't stand Crit Mit either.  It's a bad deterent to slow raiders down from progressing.  It also forces a lot of backtracking to older content when new players are recruited.  I would much rather player skill be the major determining factor of progression.

On another note, I believe SJ has read this thread but I can't imagine much he would be able to say.  Raid development is heading into the complete opposite direction that raiders want.  The next GU raid content is probably the same old bad design (see the original post for a list).  If there aren't major changes to the way that raiding (and itemization) are done by the next GU, I bet there will be another exodus from the game.  Actually, with the announcement that new content won't arrive until April, I bet a lot are going to be taking a break already.

Miapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #87
Wintersborn

Loremaster
Wintersborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 92
Default

I used to raid a long time ago, just came back to check things out as a Silver member.

I talked to a old guild member and he asked if I wanted to raid and I said I would like to see how it has changed or whats new but I cant as a Silver member.

I dont want to invest in the SC store for unlockers if I dont know if I want to get back into playing and I wont know that if I cant try out end game content/raids.

I wish there was a month before the gear restrictions kicked in or a crafting recipe or even a merchant that would unlock gear for plat. The unlock time would be like a house or hall rent fee base on the lvl etc. this would help the economy for crafters and add another plat sink.

This way returning players could have some time to get hooked on the game or raiding again and upgrade etc.

More players/raiders is good and I think this would help getting returning players interested. 

__________________
More solo content and Item variations please.
Wintersborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #88
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis
Rank: Cavalier

Loremaster
Odys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,422
Default

Actually, just frackin remove CM from the game entirely and let the game go back to player skill as the primary barrier to progression.

Oh yeah ...

I remember how Mr Smokejumper lost another player, a fresh paladin wearing a full set of TSO 2 armor came to tank TOFs1. He got 1 shot by the first mob, my warden actually survived. His crit mit was probably 0+15 %.

Crit chance combine with extreme crit bonuses are the other terrible flaw in the mecanic.

__________________
Odys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #89
millie

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 204
Default

State of Rading:

Top 10 Guilds World Wide:

1. Equilibrium,Antonia Bayle 3 kills in Jan, 2 kills to go2. Validus,Splitpaw               2 kills in Jan, 2 kills to go3. Revelations,Butcherblock 4 kills in Jan, 2 kills to go4. Ne Plus Ultra,Guk              1 kill in Jan, 3 kills to go5. Dread Army,Barren Sky    2 Kills in Jan, 4 kills to go6. Surreal,Barren Sky           0 kills in Jan, 4 kills to go7. The Oda Clan,Nagafen    5 kills in Jan, 5 kills to go8. Shoukin,Unrest                4 kills in Jan, 6 kills to go9. Onyx,Nagafen                  4 kills in Jan, 6 kills to go10. Strike,Crushbone           4 kills in Jan, 7 kills to go

So people are still raiding and killing new mobs but I expect by the End of February we will see at least 5 of the top 10 guilds having cleared DoV and be on Planes, probably on 5 different servers. By the End of March?  I think not much will be left and maybe the top 50 guilds in Planes.

Thats only 1200 players waiting for a new raid zone.

millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #90
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords
Rank: Peasant (0-100)

Loremaster
Griffildur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,136
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Actually, just frackin remove CM from the game entirely and let the game go back to player skill as the primary barrier to progression.

Oh yeah ...

I remember how Mr Smokejumper lost another player, a fresh paladin wearing a full set of TSO 2 armor came to tank TOFs1. He got 1 shot by the first mob, my warden actually survived. His crit mit was probably 0+15 %.

Crit chance combine with extreme crit bonuses are the other terrible flaw in the mecanic.

While I don't disagree with you on the crit mit bit, heck i think all gear should be redone- just one example here - 100% crit chance means it's not crit chance anymore, it's simply ability mod with a different name.

But, you really lack any basic reasoning skills.

Tank wearing gear from 2 expansions ago cannot do current content ? Well, doh ... seriously, he shouldn't. He's wearing lvl 80 gear in a level 90 instance ... I mean cmon you seriously expected him to tank that ?

It's not that hard to go gear up first. You don't start a game and expect to be ready for latest stuff just becaue you played the game 4 years ago. I am looking forward to the day when you actually make sense on something, but that day is not today I'm afraid.

__________________
Griffildur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.