EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
Blissa2362

Loremaster

I have been playing Everquest sense June of 99. And I have been in a lot of major raid guilds in both EQ and EQ2. And here is my raid experience.

1# Join a raid guild with DKP and you end up rainding months on end to get enough DKP to buy anything worh while because 90% of the raid guild has more DKP then you and you get out bid every time.

2# Raid the same zone over and over praying for your item to drop only to get out bid! (See 1)

3# People spazzing out on each other because some one screwed up and there was a wipe!

4# Guilds take on any players just to fill ranks and most of the new people do not have a clue how to raid and refuse to learn. So its wipe after wipe! (See 3)

5# People start getting greedy and they jump to a new raid guild in hopes of getting better loot and the guild folds! 

So ya I am sick of raiding and refuse to raid anymore!

Blissa2362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #32
Zepor

Loremaster

This is a very well thought out and informative post that will be ignored by anyone who actually has anything to do with developing the game.  SoE's new model is the cash shop, period.  There is no changing that, they will not listen to what anyone says, have fun with dress up online Barbie.

The only solution is to cut your losses and leave for a game where the developers care what their players think.

Smokejumper: "The monthly subscription fee means players can expect a lot of new content from us. And I say a lot - I really mean that. This is something that we feel obligated to the players, because they are paying monthly sub fee."
Zepor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #33
Destria
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Saints and Sinners

Loremaster

Zepor wrote:

This is a very well thought out and informative post that will be ignored by anyone who actually has anything to do with developing the game.  SoE's new model is the cash shop, period.  There is no changing that, they will not listen to what anyone says, have fun with dress up online Barbie.

The only solution is to cut your losses and leave for a game where the developers care what their players think.

I really don't think this could have been said any better.  Personally, I'm a decorator, and love what you can do with housing, and being able to largely customize the look and feel of my toon's appearance, but I'm also a raider and looking at the drops in X2 vs. EM vs. HM, well, its all largely underwhelming in differences.  Add to that the fact that for 50-500pp you can get almost any piece of EM gear on SLR, X2 gear for 50-150, and every now and then we see some HM gear going 500 on up to ridiculous prices.  But when the scripting is done the way it is, fail conditions are insurmountable without virtual perfection, and because that one person forgot to get his/her +7 cm adorn on that forearm, your gonna wipe the raid; well, its theres just not enough people who know how to play, or willing to learn, to fill out more then a couple raid guilds on any server, some, your lucky to get 1 full competent raid of 24 people on the best of days.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
Nynaeve

Loremaster

SOE should better make CHALLENGING Instances for 12 players instead of 24.

24-people raids are usually boring to the extreme, and in the way they're set up they only lead to frustration in many players, when you can't find a raid for your class.

I hope in the future MMOs Raids will be dynamically set up, so ANY number of people will do starting at 12.Each new person that joins slightly increases the general risk/reward of a raid.

I think GW2 are planning to do it like that, at least that's what I read.

Nynaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #35
Raider

Loremaster

1. The fact we have to use ACT and Guild Connect is crap game design, everything we need to raid should be in the game. 

2. Lag, you always have one or two maybe more people lagging its just the way it is, if its a healer forget about it - you will never be successful at Challenge Mode mobs.  Stop the double casting AOE's, take the screwed up pre-curing from the game.  I say If it ticks twice your dead that is challenging enough.

3.  On the average a raid guild loses say 3-4 peeps a month, A raid guild has cleared all easy mode raid mobs.  Have a package on Station Cash where you can buy a set of easy mode raid armor for a new recruit.  Only the guild leader can do it and can only do it 4 times a month.

4.  Ef It Release EQ3 Early let us fix the bugs and can this game.

Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

12 player raids? it will leave few others out, those who sit out will lose to make some DKP and loots when others dont need.

make 1st group open to "Additional" slots to 24 in any way it can. 10 players/15 players/18 players "scaling".

current raiding format is "Too Rigid", and it need flexiable number adjustment team.

or make "herioc potions"/"Epic potions" via Hedge Hollow mode.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #37
Destria
Guild: Saints and Sinners

Loremaster

Raider wrote:

4.  Ef It Release EQ3 Early let us fix the bugs and can this game.

^^^^^^THIS, best solution IMO^^^^^^^ someone needs to flush EQ2, noone even bothers to take a serious look at fixing any of the real problems in the game, just minor bugs with fluff and station cash.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #38
Miapa

Loremaster

I feel that the developers are stretched too thin for this game at the moment.  The size of the game and the work expected of them (fixing content, creating new content) causes a lot of content to break and a lot of features to be left unfinished.  This is why AoD was a complete joke (a feature pack sounds interesting to me IF it was actually worth it, not some rushed project pushed out by the higher-ups to make some quick cash).

Two major problems right now are 1) content is old / boring and 2) current content consists of bad and terrible design choices (there are some really fun encounters, however they are rare).  Fixing both of these issues would require more development time/work than I think the SoE EQ2 team can handle =(

Miapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #39
Mohee

Lord

LOL

How do you people honestly see EQNext?

I laugh that people even think it'll be some "mostly" bug free, fixed all things wrong with previous EQ's type of game.

I think it's safe to say it'll be a pretty fluffed up game that starts out with an extensive Appearance gear feature and marketplace packed with more fluff stuff than any other game out there.

I'm sure it'll have some nice graphics and physics though. But lets take a guess at just how well the physics will work 

I'm sure it'll all be flawless (/sarcasm)

They've changed their demographic of players they are trying to appeal to, therefore their new Next game will be built specifially what EQ2 is being changed to/tested for now. People who rely on impulse buys, cow clicker people. Creating content will be a thing of the past.

Bye bye gamers

Hello gamblers

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #40
Cocytus

Loremaster

If you're looking for a single reason that the encounters are as ridiculous as they are, you need only look at the gear.

Gear inflation "started" in EOF with the addition of blue stats to gear. ROK REALLY started hitting it home with the VP sets. TSO is where it blew up, though, and we started reaching 100% crit rate. What the heck is a crit if it affects EVERY hit? It's not a critical hit then, it's just a hit except now you hit harder. Nothing critical if they're all like that.

Gear became ridiculous, and so encounters became ridiculous in order to deal with the ridiculous gear.

Cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #41
kahonen

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

I have been playing Everquest sense June of 99. And I have been in a lot of major raid guilds in both EQ and EQ2. And here is my raid experience.

1# Join a raid guild with DKP and you end up rainding months on end to get enough DKP to buy anything worh while because 90% of the raid guild has more DKP then you and you get out bid every time.

2# Raid the same zone over and over praying for your item to drop only to get out bid! (See 1)

And ... ?  It just means you'll get it cheaper next time it drops

3# People spazzing out on each other because some one screwed up and there was a wipe!

4# Guilds take on any players just to fill ranks and most of the new people do not have a clue how to raid and refuse to learn. So its wipe after wipe! (See 3)

We take on new players for raids and expect them to show progress.  How long does it take for them to "have a clue"?  While they are learning, nobody "spazzes out" on them - let's face it, we've all been there at some point.

5# People start getting greedy and they jump to a new raid guild in hopes of getting better loot and the guild folds! 

Yah, I've seen this happen in the past but are the people that do this the kind of people that a guild would want to keep?

So ya I am sick of raiding and refuse to raid anymore!

That's a shame.  Sounds to me that what you really needed was a different guild.

I've experienced most of your points but after moving to my new guild, I've seen none of it.  Not all guilds are created equal!

kahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #42
Stubbswick

Loremaster

This sums up so many issues I've had with the game recently, especially over the last ~8 months or so. The issues with mob scripting, luck, etc... is so true. Maybe it's not "luck" in the truest sense, but there are times where certain AoEs, add spawns, curses, whatever happen to line up and cause a fail condition.OP picked the best possible example.  We downed Tert HM for the first time in August... almost 6 months ago now.  I'd say there's still about a 50% chance that when we try to pull the turtles apart, something will go wrong and cause us to fail.  That's a ridiculous waste of time.  We are more than capable of doing it.  We've done it many times before.  There are just so many things that can go wrong.  And that's far from the only ridiculous encounter.Mechanics like coop strike are beyond annoying.  That's been beaten to death on the forums, and fixed to a reasonable degree in game, so I won't harp on it.  But it represents a lot of what's bad in raid mechanics.  The ToFS x2 debuff is another example.Don't even get me started on what it's like to be a healer.  I'm sick and tired of stuns, stifles, target locks, knockbacks.  I'm tired of abilities like AoE prevents not working.  I'm tired of the endless waves of detriments that have to be cured, and come so fast that you basically need 2 healers in the group.  Curse after curse after curse after curse.  Some of which need to be cured.  Some of which cause something bad to happen if cured.I know raid encounters are supposed to be challenging, especially on hard mode.  But it is possible to have something be challenging and still be fun.  That's what I think is the bad part about raids right now.  You just keep throwing in fail conditions (ok, so they're not literal fail conditions, but in practice they are) intended to make it "harder".  It does make them more difficult, but also more frustrating.  Failure results in you wanting to smash your head against your keyboard, instead of being excited that you almost did it and wanting to try again.  At the end of the day, this is a game.  And games are meant to be fun/entertaining.  And I think the fun and entertainment value is something that is fundamentally missing from raid content right now.So, if the content isn't fun, what's the point of doing it?  Usually the whole point is for awesome gear.I don't think I could possibly be more frustrated with drop rates on gear.  I know it seems to vary from guild to guild, but for us it's an issue with Priest loot mostly.  Honestly, I log in week after week, and I'm at the point where I don't even expect to have a chance at winning gear.  We go through zones, and we're at the point where we give stuff to alts over and over.  Some brawler stuff ends up muted.  And then maybe we get lucky and a priest item drops... suddenly 7 people are rolling for it.  Something is wrong with that.I talked with Silius and a few others at fanfaire about this, and he tried to explain why he didn't like trying to weight the loot table or anything like that.  The problem is, the way the content is designed is weighted.  If you're pushing to new content, you basically have to have 2 healers per group.  You can maybe squeeze by with a solo healer in one group, but I don't think most people do this, as it is much easier just to have a second healer.  So that's 1/3 of your raidforce as healers.  Not counting any backups you might have.  As far as Tanks, most fights you need 2.  A couple you need 3, so we'll say 3.  So ok, that's 1/8 of your raidforce.  It doesn't make any sense to have gear drop equally for the two groups.  And I'll take it one step further.  How many brawlers are usually in a raid?  I'd say it's pretty rare to have more than one.  1/24.  Even if you're generous and say two brawlers, there are still 4 times as many healers in the raid force.  Why should there be an even chance of loot dropping for both (in the case of say weapons)?Silius had given me the excuse of "but it really sucks if you're the one brawler in the raid that never gets geared out".  You know what really sucks?  Having an alt brawler that has never set foot in the raid zone having more raid gear than your main healer.  Because after the main brawler got geared out, it didn't take long for every alt brawler in the guild to get geared out.I get that there's a difference in opinions on how the devs think this should work, and how the players think it should work.  But with enough people complaining about this, it's insulting that this hasn't even been discussed.And once that piece of armor finally does drop, and I finally win it, what am I rewarded with?  Fractions of crit bonus and potency.  A little more crit mit.  A little bit of casting speed/reuse.  Wow.  Exciting stuff.And the armor doesn't even look different.  Well, the color scheme is changed for drunder, I guess.  I get a choice between blue+gray and orange+brown for an entire expansion.  Both of which look exactly like the legendary versions of the gear.  And hardmode for that matter.  Of course there are other cool looking sets out there that I can use in my appearance slot, but why do I have to spend real money in order to cover up my boring armor with something more unique and interesting?I won't hijack this thread and get into the issues I've had with both GU61 and GU62/AoD, but I will say my desire to log into EQ2 is at an all time low.  I log in to raid because there's a number of other people I like who count on me doing so.  But I don't think I can last much longer if things stay the same.  I'm coming very close to cancelling my subscription.  I don't mean that as a threat - I don't honestly think anyone at SOE would (or should) care that one person is unhappy enough to cancel their subscription.  I'm just stating a fact.  I've raided for ~3 years.  I've been to 2 fan faires.  I've bought every expansion.  I've done betas and things on the test server.  I've invested a lot of time into this game.  I've been through ups and downs and arguments and agreements.  And now I just find myself... apathetic.  I just don't feel like logging in.

Stubbswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #43
Miapa

Loremaster

SJ just posted that the next DoV update (GU63) is due April.  We're looking at, at least, 3 months of this content =(

I'm hoping there they might be some major changes to raiding in the meantime because I don't think people will hang on that long.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #44
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

SJ just posted that the next DoV update (GU63) is due April.  We're looking at, at least, 3 months of this content =(

I'm hoping there they might be some major changes to raiding in the meantime because I don't think people will hang on that long.

You think SOE wants to keep, or cater to raiding anymore?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #45
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

why april? wasn't feb suppose to get new stuffs added in? and now they push it back? then what is AoD we paid for?

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
Starack

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

You think SOE wants to keep, or cater to raiding anymore?

They might if they finally got the green light from enough to tie it into the SC system, they probably doing this on purpose to make the stalwarts that demand the old model either leave or break down and beg for em to actually do something about it, it has already happened with decorators and house/guild hall items and home items etc.

If they did, they probably would make silly money given what some raiders do in order to keep competitive on their toons. Pay to win is already here, it's just not official yet. IMO.

Starack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #47
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis

Loremaster

Some additionnal remarks:

First i agree with the one proposing to focus on challenging 12 people content, getting 12 people on, and 12 that you like to play with is 100% time easier.

Second I also agree that ACT and such crap should not be necessarly and it should not "help a lot", the fact that people do use ACT detrimental call add on is a proof of very bad design.

Third i m fed up with detrimental with different effects having similar group and raid icons. In "that other game"  each detrimental has its own icon. Those icons already exists since they are used in the player detrimental window.

Fourth : I m fed up with cureboot principles, mercenaries would be better than players to do that. We should feel like confronting an epic foe, not like managing small icons on a screen.

Last : I want PERSONNAL currency, no more random mold but currency for everyone + flagging.

The idea is that people should be rewarded according to their investment.

So 70-80% of the loot is currency, to get item you need currency and a flag (flag open some loot). 20-30% is to be attributed by the raid leader. As example everyone get currency but you also get one piece of loot.

This extra piece of loot is NOT random, the raid leader choose which item will be obtained.

This way we still allow raid leaders to favor some key toons (like the MT, or new member that should quickly be equiped to reach some gear threshold), but personnal investement is paid off whatever be the raid loot rules, whatever be the luck , whatever be the supply/demand on loot.

I m very fed up to see healers served last, when we raided the EM, my friend who was playing a bard got equiped twice faster than me. Simply because we had like 7-8 healers and much less scouts (it also had to do with luck).

Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #48
IvyBlackrose

Lord

state of raiding: SLR blah blah blah SLR blah blah blah SLR blah blah blah that is the only purpose of raiding anymore nobody raids for the purpose of actual raidplay and quite honestly raiders are a dying breed, and quite honestly with all the SLR spam we see consistently from raiders its just as well, Sorry that some of the fights are too hard for you to beat and you cant SLR the loot from them but quite honestly im glad of that maybe someday once all the SLR ppl are gone we will be able to get back to the economy NOT inflated by SLR that we used to have, SLR has never been as bad as it has been since DOV oh yeah and dont forget reduce the raid count to 12 ppl so we can slr split the loot between 12 of us a lot easier and slr even more im a casual and personally I play this game for the decorating side of the house I could care less if the raiders are here or not
Old 01-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #49
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

IvyBlackrose wrote:

state of raiding: SLR blah blah blah SLR blah blah blah SLR blah blah blah that is the only purpose of raiding anymore nobody raids for the purpose of actual raidplay and quite honestly raiders are a dying breed, and quite honestly with all the SLR spam we see consistently from raiders its just as well, Sorry that some of the fights are too hard for you to beat and you cant SLR the loot from them but quite honestly im glad of that maybe someday once all the SLR ppl are gone we will be able to get back to the economy NOT inflated by SLR that we used to have, SLR has never been as bad as it has been since DOV

QQ more.If you think SLR is what is inflating the EQ2 economy, I want to SLR you a clue.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #50
Griffildur
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

IvyBlackrose wrote:

state of raiding: SLR blah blah blah SLR blah blah blah SLR blah blah blah that is the only purpose of raiding anymore nobody raids for the purpose of actual raidplay and quite honestly raiders are a dying breed, and quite honestly with all the SLR spam we see consistently from raiders its just as well, Sorry that some of the fights are too hard for you to beat and you cant SLR the loot from them but quite honestly im glad of that maybe someday once all the SLR ppl are gone we will be able to get back to the economy NOT inflated by SLR that we used to have, SLR has never been as bad as it has been since DOV oh yeah and dont forget reduce the raid count to 12 ppl so we can slr split the loot between 12 of us a lot easier and slr even more im a casual and personally I play this game for the decorating side of the house I could care less if the raiders are here or not

I don't really understand why do you even come here with an oppinion since you don't have a clue about raiding and raiders ?  If all you do is decorate, stick to that and do not comment on things you know nothing about.

You don't like SLR in channels ? Either turn off chat or ignore the people spamming them. Simple.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #51
Raknid

Loremaster

IvyBlackrose wrote:

and quite honestly raiders are a dying breed,

Yeah...that is why there are OVER FOUR HUNDRED guilds that have taken the trouble to register on the Guild Progress website for EQ2 and have indicated they have completed DoV raid content.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #52
Griffildur

Loremaster

Raknid wrote:

IvyBlackrose wrote:

Yeah...that is why there are OVER FOUR HUNDRED guilds that have taken the trouble to register on the Guild Progress website for EQ2 and have indicated they have completed DoV raid content.

Well reality is that raiders are the ones keeping this game alive, but no Barbie will ever know that.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #53
Miapa

Loremaster

Raknid wrote:

IvyBlackrose wrote:

Guild Progress doesn't remove guilds that've folded (folded as in no one raids anymore) or are unable to raid due to lack of members.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #54
Griffildur

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Raknid wrote:

IvyBlackrose wrote:

Guild Progress doesn't remove guilds that've folded (folded as in no one raids anymore) or are unable to raid due to lack of members.

Guild Progress it's still a very good indication that raiders are not in fact a vocal minority as some would make it.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #55
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Raknid wrote:

IvyBlackrose wrote:

This is true...but it also doesn't count guilds that aren't registered or pick up raids or alliances and stuff like that...so it is kinda a wash...although with the state of the game "raid" guilds are folding faster than ever or quitting raiding.

The 400+ is for guilds that have at least one registered kill in the easiest DoV X4. It might not be a current accurate picture, but gives some idea of the amount of people who are/were partaking in raiding.

SOE isn't doing anything to help those numbers though.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #56
Dasein

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Raknid wrote:

IvyBlackrose wrote:

Guild Progress it's still a very good indication that raiders are not in fact a vocal minority as some would make it.

Well, it depends first on what percentage of the total population those on guild prgress represent, and of those, how many slf-identify as 'raiders' as opposed to merely participating in raids. Further, what guild progress shows is a fairly big gap between a small number of elite guilds working on the hardest content, and many more guilds working on Drunder and some HM content. Thus, even the raid community itself is not a singular entity, but is rather starkly divide itself, and these different groups will have different desires for raiding.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #57
Zepor

Loremaster

IvyBlackrose wrote:

im a casual and personally I play this game for the decorating side of the house I could care less if the raiders are here or not

Are you an EQ2 dev?  Because this is exactly how they think now.

Smokejumper: "The monthly subscription fee means players can expect a lot of new content from us. And I say a lot - I really mean that. This is something that we feel obligated to the players, because they are paying monthly sub fee."
Zepor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #58
Stubbswick

Loremaster

IvyBlackrose wrote:

This is ignorant and dismissive of a large percentage of the player base.  I don't understand why there's always an "us vs. them" divide among players.  I raid.  I quest.  I do tradeskills.  I do holiday events.  I decorate.  None of those things have to be mutually exclusive.  None of these things have to be at odds with each other.

Ironically though, your reason for dismissing this entire segment of the population is actually completely in line with what other people are saying here.

You know why you see so much spam for selling loot in chat channels?  No, it's not because raiders are inherently plat-hungry monsters who enjoy spamming chat channels.  (My guild doesn't generally sell raid loot, and I still end up making more money by raiding than I know what to do with.  Plat isn't something I really have to worry about, and therefore isn't something I care about.)

It's because of loot drop rates.  It's because of the way zones and progression are laid out.  If you're at the point where all you need are BPs off Zek for a couple people, you have to kill everything else in the whole zone.  Named that you've killed a hundred times.  Our guild chooses to give this gear to alts.  Some guilds prefer to sell it.  Either way, you just keep seeing this gear over and over trying to get a few people their BP, because good luck trying to keep people alive in harder zones if they don't have enough crit mit.  And you go through all that, killing all that junk, and kill the statue of Zek... only to have two BPs drop that aren't for the classes that need them.  Better luck next time!  Back to selling loot in channels!

The suggestions other people have given would easily fix this problem.  Allowing people to bypass certain mobs they've already killed would be a great help.  As would bringing back smart loot, so when stuff drops, it's gonna be for people who need it.  Or dropping tokens instead, that can be used to buy armor.  All of these suggestions would help eliminate the loot selling you see in chat.  It won't get rid of it completely, but it would get rid of most of it.

And while we're on the issue of selling loot... if you have such a big issue with it, why not make suggestions to fix it, like requiring that you're present at a kill to win loot, or allowing raid loot to be sold on the broker? 

I'm not saying these things would happen, or that there wouldn't be arguments about them, but it's a lot more helpful to bring ideas to the table than it is to say "you raiders annoy me by selling loot in chat... so screw you, I don't care about any of the complaints you have".

Stubbswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #59
Jrel
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Blackstar Rising

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

This sums up so many issues I've had with the game recently, especially over the last ~8 months or so. The issues with mob scripting, luck, etc... is so true. Maybe it's not "luck" in the truest sense, but there are times where certain AoEs, add spawns, curses, whatever happen to line up and cause a fail condition.OP picked the best possible example.  We downed Tert HM for the first time in August... almost 6 months ago now.  I'd say there's still about a 50% chance that when we try to pull the turtles apart, something will go wrong and cause us to fail.  That's a ridiculous waste of time.  We are more than capable of doing it.  We've done it many times before.  There are just so many things that can go wrong.  And that's far from the only ridiculous encounter.Mechanics like coop strike are beyond annoying.  That's been beaten to death on the forums, and fixed to a reasonable degree in game, so I won't harp on it.  But it represents a lot of what's bad in raid mechanics.  The ToFS x2 debuff is another example.Don't even get me started on what it's like to be a healer.  I'm sick and tired of stuns, stifles, target locks, knockbacks.  I'm tired of abilities like AoE prevents not working.  I'm tired of the endless waves of detriments that have to be cured, and come so fast that you basically need 2 healers in the group.  Curse after curse after curse after curse.  Some of which need to be cured.  Some of which cause something bad to happen if cured.I know raid encounters are supposed to be challenging, especially on hard mode.  But it is possible to have something be challenging and still be fun.  That's what I think is the bad part about raids right now.  You just keep throwing in fail conditions (ok, so they're not literal fail conditions, but in practice they are) intended to make it "harder".  It does make them more difficult, but also more frustrating.  Failure results in you wanting to smash your head against your keyboard, instead of being excited that you almost did it and wanting to try again.  At the end of the day, this is a game.  And games are meant to be fun/entertaining.  And I think the fun and entertainment value is something that is fundamentally missing from raid content right now.So, if the content isn't fun, what's the point of doing it?  Usually the whole point is for awesome gear.I don't think I could possibly be more frustrated with drop rates on gear.  I know it seems to vary from guild to guild, but for us it's an issue with Priest loot mostly.  Honestly, I log in week after week, and I'm at the point where I don't even expect to have a chance at winning gear.  We go through zones, and we're at the point where we give stuff to alts over and over.  Some brawler stuff ends up muted.  And then maybe we get lucky and a priest item drops... suddenly 7 people are rolling for it.  Something is wrong with that.I talked with Silius and a few others at fanfaire about this, and he tried to explain why he didn't like trying to weight the loot table or anything like that.  The problem is, the way the content is designed is weighted.  If you're pushing to new content, you basically have to have 2 healers per group.  You can maybe squeeze by with a solo healer in one group, but I don't think most people do this, as it is much easier just to have a second healer.  So that's 1/3 of your raidforce as healers.  Not counting any backups you might have.  As far as Tanks, most fights you need 2.  A couple you need 3, so we'll say 3.  So ok, that's 1/8 of your raidforce.  It doesn't make any sense to have gear drop equally for the two groups.  And I'll take it one step further.  How many brawlers are usually in a raid?  I'd say it's pretty rare to have more than one.  1/24.  Even if you're generous and say two brawlers, there are still 4 times as many healers in the raid force.  Why should there be an even chance of loot dropping for both (in the case of say weapons)?Silius had given me the excuse of "but it really sucks if you're the one brawler in the raid that never gets geared out".  You know what really sucks?  Having an alt brawler that has never set foot in the raid zone having more raid gear than your main healer.  Because after the main brawler got geared out, it didn't take long for every alt brawler in the guild to get geared out.I get that there's a difference in opinions on how the devs think this should work, and how the players think it should work.  But with enough people complaining about this, it's insulting that this hasn't even been discussed.And once that piece of armor finally does drop, and I finally win it, what am I rewarded with?  Fractions of crit bonus and potency.  A little more crit mit.  A little bit of casting speed/reuse.  Wow.  Exciting stuff.And the armor doesn't even look different.  Well, the color scheme is changed for drunder, I guess.  I get a choice between blue+gray and orange+brown for an entire expansion.  Both of which look exactly like the legendary versions of the gear.  And hardmode for that matter.  Of course there are other cool looking sets out there that I can use in my appearance slot, but why do I have to spend real money in order to cover up my boring armor with something more unique and interesting?I won't hijack this thread and get into the issues I've had with both GU61 and GU62/AoD, but I will say my desire to log into EQ2 is at an all time low.  I log in to raid because there's a number of other people I like who count on me doing so.  But I don't think I can last much longer if things stay the same.  I'm coming very close to cancelling my subscription.  I don't mean that as a threat - I don't honestly think anyone at SOE would (or should) care that one person is unhappy enough to cancel their subscription.  I'm just stating a fact.  I've raided for ~3 years.  I've been to 2 fan faires.  I've bought every expansion.  I've done betas and things on the test server.  I've invested a lot of time into this game.  I've been through ups and downs and arguments and agreements.  And now I just find myself... apathetic.  I just don't feel like logging in.

I totally agree with this ^^^

and everything the OP posted (except Experience) and most of the valid points that others have raised in this thread. 

Currently, I'm just raiding with friends because it's fun when it is fun, and when we're not dying on screw-1-thing-up-and-instant-fail encounters.  Things I have bugged and sent feedback about have mostly been ignored (since Mar 2011). We've already lost 4 people to the last GU.  Not all of our members are "just" raiders either; we have crafters and decoraters.

I was hoping the expansion would be here in Feb, but now that it's in April, I don't see myself willing to continue paying to play and watch 20-24 smart players get wiped 12 weeks x 2 raiding days x 6 HM instantfailcondition names x (3 to 8 wipes before quitting) more times, get 0.2% equipment stat upgrades, loot single drops by raid names, see healers getting one raid item every couple of months, and so on, unless all of the above issues get resolved soon. 

Jrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #60
IvyBlackrose

Lord

im glad someone got the point.... that is the soe philosophy at this point SLR will not get stopped because SLR generates real life cash for soe player a buys 10 cards for 150 bux raiders buy the cards for plat so basically instead of getting 15 bux from 10 players they are getting it from 1 player end result is still the same soe gets 150 bux no reason to cancel SLR cash shop generates LOTS of income the keeping up with the jones syndrome is very strong here and everyone wants the latest and greatest no reason for soe to change that system welcome to todays everquest its just the way things are so basically they come up with more ways to keep filling soe's needs which is to make profit (notice i said make profit not money) making money is pointless if its not actual profit) and the players needs which is lots of fluffy things to show off