EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Valena

Loremaster

The new video for Veil of Alaris looks pretty good with a very original looking dungeon with their Temple of the Sea (http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/1...d-in-new-video/) but we not be getting anything new. I gotta admit that i feel short-changed.

I wonder if EQ1 wants to swap staff ..

Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
BMonkeeus

Loremaster

One has what to do with the other?
BMonkeeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
HammerOfThor

Loremaster

I think it's perfectly valid to discuss EQ1 here since they keep posting community news about EQ1's new expansion on the EQ2 homepage.  Maybe I should go over to EQ1's home page and see if they have news about EQ2's expansion since that's the one I really want to know about.

HammerOfThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Maergoth

Loremaster

Yeah, I agree. Don't release content outside of expansions, like EQ1.

Stop giving us free stuff.

Jaraxx tells you, 'Why did you die? Man up. Ask for DI from your priests'

You tell Jaraxx, 'I had a "save" running..'

http://tinyurl.com/PaladinFeedback
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Gaealiege
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Eruanna Ar Fuin

Loremaster

Yeah, I think you missed the point Maergoth.  You're going to buy a pointless "expansion" for $40 and get the zones months later for "free". 

I like the math on that by the way.  $40+$15x = free.

Gaealiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Elomort

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The new video for Veil of Alaris looks pretty good with a very original looking dungeon with their Temple of the Sea (http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/1...d-in-new-video/) but we not be getting anything new. I gotta admit that i feel short-changed.

SJ went to mostly EQ1 didn't he?

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Mythal_EQ2

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Yeah, I think you missed the point Maergoth.  You're going to buy a pointless "expansion" for $40 and get the zones months later for "free". 

I like the math on that by the way.  $40+$15x = free.

I lol'ed at that...

If the OP is complaining about expansion not having zones and -- apparently -- you agree with him, calling it pointless... then no one is forcing you to buy that expansion.

You'll still get the zones for free.

And, by the way, the $15 you're adding in there... kind of pointless, as, without it, you'd not be playing the game at all now, would you? $15 now gets you the game... $15 in a few months will get you the same game + extra zones... Therefore, extra zones are free...

Guess it's a little too complicated though. It's alright... have a cookie. You'll feel better by the time you're done eating it.

Mythal_EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Miapa

Loremaster

Honestly, I wish they would spend much more time fixing updating existing features over adding new ones.  Once the existing ones are fixed, go start planning and releasing new ones.

Miapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Geothe

Loremaster

eh,Since this upcoming "expansion" isn't an actually expansion at all, just the addition of game features, they shouldnt sell it as a box but instead of the "features" account unlockable through SC.Normal expansions run ~$40 at release.  this "expansion" has BYOD, Beastlords, mercs, and AA increase.  Charge $10 for each individual feature.  want them all, its teh same price as an expansion.  Dont care about certain junk features, dont pay of them and enjoy yourself.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Gungo

Loremaster

We dont know the price of the "feature expansion" or if it will be ala carte purchases. And unlike eq1 this is the second "expansion" we are getting within the year.

This setup is different then a normal expansion and it is something they are trying out. Honestly the way it is set up is like a quasi eq2x model and likely why they are doing it this way. In the long run it will benefit the player who doesnt feel the need to buy every single feature eq2 offers, but will likely cost the player who buys everything more. Someone like me will end up buying this feature expansion and in essence buy 2 expansions a year.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Gaealiege
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Eruanna Ar Fuin

Loremaster

Yeah, except not Daervon.  You pay the $15 so that content is added.  Free-to-play games receive content with giants gaps in between if ever.  And of course no one is forcing.  I don't see where I typed "I am forced to purchase this product."

The subscription goes toward adding more to the game and the continued maintenance of the game.  SOE isn't putting out any content for free.  I appreciate your attempt at logic, but you should leave it to the big boys.  Without the fee, you could play on Freeport and pretend you're playing a full game.  If you're under the impression that SOE would continue to create content without the subscription, though, you're far removed from reality.

Gaealiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Valena

Loremaster

BMonkeeus wrote:

Well last time I checked they were both run by SOE for a start. Then add that the EQ1 and 2 expansions are supposed to hit around the same time, that the EQ1 one has a nice promo showing an innovative dungeon whilst EQ2 has silence. Total and utter silence. It could be a tagline for a new Alien film: In space nobody hears you advertise.

I suppose what I find the most frustrating is that the older game gets the most content. It's all very well SOE saying that the content will arrive over the next year but that forces us to play to their schedule rather than ours. We may get 3 Instances in Feb, 3 in May, 3 in July and 3 in October which means that we end up running the same ones over and over until the next batch are finished.

Lets just look at the current state of Instances to see how that worked out: we had ToFS, Rime and KD to start and all was good. Then Drunder arrived and few were even able to enter because of CM requirements. Many of those that could run them only did them a few times before deciding that they were generally worthless because of poor loot drops that were designed to be transmuted into Ore to make armour that the people who could run Drunder wouldn't use as they were raid geared. Then EoW arrived and even fewer were capable of running that. Now we have the situation where Rhy'gorr gear is becoming standard, KD instances are the base level and ToFS and Rime ones will empty. Sony is forcing the players in the direction that they THINK is right.

Now if they do that with the model where they release content throughout the year, who is to say that the first instances won't be run when the second batch some out as gear is better, then when the third hit the first 2 won't be run. I cannot see any possible reason why people would wholeheartedly buy into the "release throughout the year" model rather than having it all upfront allowing us to play at our pace.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Geothe wrote:

eh,Since this upcoming "expansion" isn't an actually expansion at all, just the addition of game features, they shouldnt sell it as a box but instead of the "features" account unlockable through SC.Normal expansions run ~$40 at release.  this "expansion" has BYOD, Beastlords, mercs, and AA increase.  Charge $10 for each individual feature.  want them all, its teh same price as an expansion.  Dont care about certain junk features, dont pay of them and enjoy yourself.

My thoughts on what they might do with the ala carte model (orig from another thread)

One other musing I had last night, and this might be a slim possibility also... (It sure is fun speculating though since SOE refuses to give us any information...lol)

When they set up EQ2X it was somewhat modeled after the free trial that was on live. In that free trial you got all but the last expansion when you went from the trial to a sub on Live. Maybe...they wanted to give ALL the content to EQ2X but couldn't because they knew the Live people would have a cow that they were giving away the stuff we all paid for. Instead, they bided their time until they could roll out this "expansion" and let the EQ2X crowd have for free what we all paid for...content wise that is. 

This would allow them to sell the next "features" in whole, or ala carte, and on both services, for SC. They will couch it in terms:

"We really want to give our players the most for their money, that is why we have been giving away all the content now. In that same vein, we recognize that some of you may not want certain features that are in the new expansion, that is why we are going to allow you to purchase the features you want ala carte from the Station Store."

From then on, for both services, "basic" content is free, and everything new will be either "features" you can buy for SC, or "premium" content you can buy for SC. They will have effectivley went back to selling advernture packs, but just changed the name to "premium" content.

At this point, the only difference between subscribers on live and subscribers on Extended will be that Extended can buy doodads that are useful in the game. We will both have to pay for any new features or premium content we want.

Once they get us Live players used to the idea that we have to "pay" to get features (like an AA cap increase), especially if they are ala carte, they will push to make the live servers Extended using the argument:

"You all have been willing to purchase things like more AAs, or mercenaries, things that really make a difference in gameplay, so what is the difference between those and small things like power potions, health potions, rares, etc..."

The transformation will be complete...and it all started with a no content, feature only, expansion that they allowed us to buy ala carte.

How's that sound? lol

Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
Crismorn

Loremaster

BMonkeeus wrote:

Allocation of resources

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Psykotic
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Edge of Eternity

Lord

I think Kenazeer is right on the money.

Psykotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
wullailhuit

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

Geothe wrote:

My thoughts on what they might do with the ala carte model (orig from another thread)

One other musing I had last night, and this might be a slim possibility also... (It sure is fun speculating though since SOE refuses to give us any information...lol)

When they set up EQ2X it was somewhat modeled after the free trial that was on live. In that free trial you got all but the last expansion when you went from the trial to a sub on Live. Maybe...they wanted to give ALL the content to EQ2X but couldn't because they knew the Live people would have a cow that they were giving away the stuff we all paid for. Instead, they bided their time until they could roll out this "expansion" and let the EQ2X crowd have for free what we all paid for...content wise that is. 

This would allow them to sell the next "features" in whole, or ala carte, and on both services, for SC. They will couch it in terms:

"We really want to give our players the most for their money, that is why we have been giving away all the content now. In that same vein, we recognize that some of you may not want certain features that are in the new expansion, that is why we are going to allow you to purchase the features you want ala carte from the Station Store."

From then on, for both services, "basic" content is free, and everything new will be either "features" you can buy for SC, or "premium" content you can buy for SC. They will have effectivley went back to selling advernture packs, but just changed the name to "premium" content.

At this point, the only difference between subscribers on live and subscribers on Extended will be that Extended can buy doodads that are useful in the game. We will both have to pay for any new features or premium content we want.

Once they get us Live players used to the idea that we have to "pay" to get features (like an AA cap increase), especially if they are ala carte, they will push to make the live servers Extended using the argument:

"You all have been willing to purchase things like more AAs, or mercenaries, things that really make a difference in gameplay, so what is the difference between those and small things like power potions, health potions, rares, etc..."

The transformation will be complete...and it all started with a no content, feature only, expansion that they allowed us to buy ala carte.

How's that sound? lol

Pretty much what I've been thinking since it was announced...

Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Crismorn wrote:

BMonkeeus wrote:

Allocation of resources

Unless it was done for a reson, as I speculated above.

They have the capability to do content obviously, since we are getting "tons" of it supposedly.

So the no new content can't be because they can't create it.

What then is their motive?

SOE has never "finished" an expansion before release; there have always been elements left over. What has changed that makes them now release features without content?

You could argue since all the new content is "velious-like," and that they would have trouble branding it as a new expansion.

You could argue that they didn't have the resources to develop a plot line around the content that was to be released, and therefore decided to include it in the Velious content.

You could argue a lot things for why it is the way it is, but you cannot argue that they don't have the staff to create the content because obviously they do.

Again, what is the reason for the change? Innocent or plotting?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
Korhallen3

Lord

Kenazeer wrote:

Crismorn wrote:

BMonkeeus wrote:

Allocation of resources

Unless it was done for a reson, as I speculated above.

They have the capability to do content obviously, since we are getting "tons" of it supposedly.

So the no new content can't be because they can't create it.

What then is their motive?

SOE has never "finished" an expansion before release; there have always been elements left over. What has changed that makes them now release features without content?

You could argue since all the new content is "velious-like," and that they would have trouble branding it as a new expansion.

You could argue that they didn't have the resources to develop a plot line around the content that was to be released, and therefore decided to include it in the Velious content.

You could argue a lot things for why it is the way it is, but you cannot argue that they don't have the staff to create the content because obviously they do.

Again, what is the reason for the change? Innocent or plotting?

SoE used to finish expansions, but then Blizzard showed you could get away without doing it, so why stress themselves? 

Korhallen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Malleria

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

OMG HAHAHA.

You obviously haven't played EQ1 in the last few years.

Thanks for the laugh though!

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
ffd700

Lord

Kenazeer wrote:

Geothe wrote:

How's that sound? lol

I'd put plat on this being how it will all eventually play out.

ffd700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Comparing EQ1 to EQ2 is pointless. They are different projects with different teams working with different budgets. It's no more valid a comparison than between Diablo 3 and WoW.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Valena

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Comparing EQ1 to EQ2 is pointless. They are different projects with different teams working with different budgets. It's no more valid a comparison than between Diablo 3 and WoW.

Not sure I agree. Different budgets, yes. But surely the newer game would get the bigger budget? Doing a quick video and getting it onto fan sites isn't big budget stuff, it's marketing, something EQ2 has always lacked.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
Deago

Loremaster

You guys.....

Rothgar and his wife are having kids...mmmk so that is the reason things do not get done as fast as they should cut the man a break jeeze!!!!

And smokejumper is getting the baby shower together!!  Men can do this you know...

Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #24
Ikat
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Mousetrap

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

You guys.....

Rothgar and his wife are having kids...mmmk so that is the reason things do not get done as fast as they should cut the man a break jeeze!!!!

And smokejumper is getting the baby shower together!!  Men can do this you know...

NVIDIA

ViVOX

Shader 3.0

Staff shuffles

Hackers

and now Procreation  !

The list of excuses is endless.

LOL

Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #25
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

i tried to watch this new trailer, it just freeze up and i keep getting booted to "offline"/redial box.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

nm, i got it fixed, window updates driving me nuts, they often reset my settings/preferances, hate them changing without my approval.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
dawy

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Geothe wrote:

How's that sound? lol

Yup i rather think thats about right spin and lots of it.

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster

Geothe wrote:

By adding features, they're expanding the game.  I don't understand this mentality.  Everyone is so hidebound into thinking "Expansion = new zones" that they fail to realise that is not the end-all be-all definition of the word.  If you'd all just pull your heads out from whatever dank caves you've got them inserted into, you might realise that this upcoming addition to the game is *indeed* an expansion, it's just not the ho-hum, run-of-the-mill one to which we've all become accustomed.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
arvydys

Loremaster

dawy wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Geothe wrote:

How's that sound? lol

Yup i rather think thats about right spin and lots of it.

The funny thing is, if this happened it would be better for 99% of us.  We would be obligated to spend less, because if we dont want features like beastlords or mercs we dont have to spend for em.  But we still get all the expansion content.

But of course, there would be idiots that complain that 'guild beat that boss because they used potions!  So?  It doesnt effect your gameplay what some other guild does.

I dont mind at all paying less because some people are willing to spend more.

The one thing I would ask is to make cashs top stuff not useable in PvP.  I dont PvP, but for the sake of those that do Id want that stuff locked out.  Ideally, keep those potions locked out of raid zones too, but thats not a huge deal to me.

arvydys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #30
arvydys

Loremaster

Korhallen3 wrote:

SoE used to finish expansions, but then Blizzard showed you could get away without doing it, so why stress themselves? 

Yeah I can't stand this style.  Blizzard makes their expansions last one year,but the overall package ends up being smaller than, say, EoF or RoK expansions here.

EQ1 used to do a very good job of putting the content in at release to extend the expansion over its cycle.  And im talking about post 'classic era' EQ.

arvydys is offline   Reply With Quote