EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Amnerys

Community Team
Amnerys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,317
Default

 

The season of sharing is fast upon us! Whether it's for the holidays, for a birthday or anniversary, or a "Thank you for saving my hiney in last night's raid" acknowledgement, players in EQII and EQ2X can now purchase items from the Marketplace and gift them to their friends in-game.

Starting today, when you make any Marketplace purchase, you'll see a “Gift” button right next to the “Buy” button.

When you click the “Gift” button, an in-game mail window will pop up, allowing you to enter the recipient's name, add a note, and send your gift.

 

To send a gift to someone on your server, just put their name in the address space. To send a gift to someone on a different server, put the server name first, then a period, followed by the character name. Example: Antonia Bayle.CharacterName. You can also write a note to the recipient if you wish to customize the gift message.

When your friend receives their gift, it will arrive in their in-game mailbox. They’ll see a message across their screen telling them that you sent them a gift, and they can claim the gift from their mailbox at their convenience. They'll cheer and dance and you'll be the recipient of endless gratitude*.

(*Actual in-game experiences may vary, depending on the disposition of each individual recipient. Especially if they're Dark Elves.)

So shower your sweetheart with goodies, honor a special occasion with your guildies, stuff some in-game stockings...the possibilities are endless. Visit the Marketplace today and spread some joy with virtual gifts!

Amnerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
IceStormx

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 180
Default

Amnerys wrote:

 

The season of sharing is fast upon us! Whether it's for the holidays, for a birthday or anniversary, or a "Thank you for saving my hiney in last night's raid" acknowledgement, players in EQII and EQ2X can now purchase items from the Marketplace and gift them to their friends in-game.

Starting today, when you make any Marketplace purchase, you'll see a “Gift” button right next to the “Buy” button.

When you click the “Gift” button, an in-game mail window will pop up, allowing you to enter the recipient's name, add a note, and send your gift.

 

To send a gift to someone on your server, just put their name in the address space. To send a gift to someone on a different server, put the server name first, then a period, followed by the character name. Example: Antonia Bayle.CharacterName. You can also write a note to the recipient if you wish to customize the gift message.

When your friend receives their gift, it will arrive in their in-game mailbox. They’ll see a message across their screen telling them that you sent them a gift, and they can claim the gift from their mailbox at their convenience. They'll cheer and dance and you'll be the recipient of endless gratitude*.

(*Actual in-game experiences may vary, depending on the disposition of each individual recipient. Especially if they're Dark Elves.)

So shower your sweetheart with goodies, honor a special occasion with your guildies, stuff some in-game stockings...the possibilities are endless. Visit the Marketplace today and spread some joy with virtual gifts!

Hi

Is there any way to Gift game time this way?

__________________
IceStormx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Calthine

ZAM EQII
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,439
Default

xXxIceStormxXx7 wrote:

Hi

Is there any way to Gift game time this way?

Game time isn't available on the Marketplace.  Yet, lol.

__________________





Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Torvos

Loremaster
Torvos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 43
Default

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

__________________


Torvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Lodrelhai

Loremaster
Lodrelhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default

I'm torn on this one.  On one hand, this appeals for getting things for close friends - and the people in-game that I would spend real money on are all, without exception, personal friends that I know in real life.  But I thought they'd scratched this idea when people pointed out that some folks could/would accept SC gifts as payment for in-game stuff like power-leveling or mythic runs.  Essentially, it sets up RMT between players on non-Exchange servers, which Smed says is what he meant when he said RMT would never exist on non-Exchange servers.

SOE's gone some ways towards mollifying me about the Marketplace.  They created an RMT-based version of the game, and they did start including Station Cash as part of a paid sub - only the annual, but it's there and I had hopes of it eventually being on monthly payments as well (even at 100SC a month would be something).  But then this comes along, and I'm back to thinking they don't actually care how RMT affects the live servers at all, as long as they're getting the cash.

When it comes right down to it, I have to say I'd rather do without this little joy.  If I want to spend real cash on my friends for in-game items, well, as I said before, I know personally all the people I'd ever consider doing this for, and I'd just as soon give them the cash directly.

Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Rothgar

Developer
Rothgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,273
Default

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com
Xalmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,895
Default

Rothgar wrote:

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

Can't I theoretically offer someone $10 for 100 platinum if I wanted to?

__________________
EQ2Achieve - Your guide to all EverQuest II Achievements

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Brook

Tester
Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,336
Default

Rothgar wrote:

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

Somebody could use a credit card and buy plat if they wanted to but get busted and loose their account because its against the rules, that is unless SOE is the one selling the plat, then its ok. Right?

 I am just trying to understand your statement. I really couldnt care less what this company does anymore so I am not against any changes you guys make at this point to make it even more wonderful.

__________________
But seriously, you're the kind of guy that zones into gears without a healer and spends the whole match talking about the fact there isn't a healer instead of contributing. I hate you, and everyone like you that plays this game. Please spend less time whining and more time winning, it contributes to the general growth of the game and makes gameplay more enjoyable for all.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
JenarieII

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
Default

PLEASE add a "refuse" button that sends the item back to the marketplace and refunds the station cash to the purchaser. 

I am going to be EXTREMELY upset if someone in game ever buys me a gift and I have no chance to refuse.  I don't allow people to give me things in real life and I should be able to say 'no thank you' in game as well.

JenarieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Amnerys

Community Team
Amnerys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,317
Default

People will always find ways around any stops that are put in any game. It's just life and the challenge that type of person feels when they come up against a stop. We do our best to keep folks from doing harmful things, but if someone wants to "pay" another player for things/favors, they're going to find a way to do it with or without a gifting option, I suppose.

We've had so many requests over the past year to be able to give both Station Cash and items from the Marketplace to other players, and now we're able to offer the Marketplace gifting, so we thought that it was a good service to add on at this time. Station Cash gifting still isn't an option right now, and I think there's was once more of a concern of that type of gifting being abused. But again, people will find a way to do it if they really want to. I'd like to believe that the majority of our players will use this service for good, spreading happiness and smiles with their friends, just as an IRL gift would do.

Amnerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
kiku

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 83
Default

Thank you dev for thinking of a way to give friends items. This is just in time for holiday season. I am truly sorry most people here post, well crap. So Thank you for dealing with them and thank you for this.

kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
JenarieII

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
Default

I'm indifferent to the idea of being able to gift items.  What bothers me is that it seems I can't refuse them.  I've had people pay attention to me in game just because I'm female and I don't want them to have the option of spending real money on things that I can't refuse.  This is a huge deal to me - maybe enough to quit over.

I'm totally fine with gifting.  It's a nice idea for the holidays.  But no one should be forced to take a gift he/she doesn't want.  Make them returnable please.

JenarieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Lodrelhai

Loremaster
Lodrelhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default

Rothgar wrote:

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

First, I want to state that the "you"s in the following rant are general at SOE rather than specifically at Rothgar.

Given that anyone, any time, could send Paypal money to anyone else for items in game and no one would notice because no one has access to half the transaction, this is a red herring.  If SOE were really that apathetic about RMT, there would be no reason to ban plat farmers at all.  Instead, SOE not only pursues them relentlessly, but has the best spam-blocking of any game I've played specifically so players don't even have to see the stuff.  Aion's world chat was so full of RMT ads you couldn't use it for anything else, and WoW has open advertising in city channels and people making corpse-art that spells out urls.  EQ2?  Chat feed and in-game mail filters that automatically redirect suspected spam.  Maybe 3-4 times a YEAR I've been hit by actual RMT spam that made it through the filter.  So don't try to make us think you don't care what players exchange out-of-game for things in-game; actions make it very clear this is a MAJOR concern.

The problem here is this exact scenario was brought up in the Feedback thread, was addressed by a dev, and was treated as a Bad Thing.  (Sadly, search doesn't seem to work on the feedback thread, so I'll have to search manually for the exact quote - be sure I'll be back with it.)  And yet, a year later, it's happening.

There's a reason people keep using the slippery slope analogy concerning Station Cash - SOE keeps inching further down it.  Sony will never support RMT - well, except on new Exchange servers.  But RMT will only be on Exchange servers - except by RMT we mean cash exchange between players, not to us.  But nothing will be sold that will affect the game - well, except potions to increase advancement, restore vitality, or give speed boosts.  Oh, and that RMT only being between players thing?  Yeah, that doesn't count either as long as the cash is going to us.

Fine, okay, we get it.  You're a business, we're only your bottom line so far as the money we give you, and RMT is a cash cow.  But would it really hurt to be honest about this stuff without us having to browbeat you with the facts?  As they saying goes, you could have at least bought us dinner first.

Seriously, I would have been much less upset by this if you'd at least said, "We brought up this idea when the Marketplace first launched, and though some concerns were raised, after careful deliberation we've decided the benefits outweigh the risks."  Yeah, some folks (okay, most) would have figured that was smoke blowing where it shouldn't, but it'd at least acknowledge the concerns.  As it is, the post makes it sound like you're trying to pass this off as a brand new idea, hoping the fanbase forgot this was already addressed.

For the record, I also wouldn't have minded if this were just on Freeq and not Live, as there at least we know going in that the primary game concern is earning money through the RMT.

Edit: And count me in asking for a "Refuse" option.  I've quit groups over people bringing their RMT fluff pets out, and while other options have somewhat mollified me to the existence of the Marketplace, I do not want my friends throwing away money on me for things I don't want.  At least if they give me a gift from the store I don't want, I can return or exchange it.

Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Rothgar

Developer
Rothgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,273
Default

Lodrelhai wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

First, I want to state that the "you"s in the following rant are general at SOE rather than specifically at Rothgar.

Given that anyone, any time, could send Paypal money to anyone else for items in game and no one would notice because no one has access to half the transaction, this is a red herring.  If SOE were really that apathetic about RMT, there would be no reason to ban plat farmers at all.  Instead, SOE not only pursues them relentlessly, but has the best spam-blocking of any game I've played specifically so players don't even have to see the stuff.  Aion's world chat was so full of RMT ads you couldn't use it for anything else, and WoW has open advertising in city channels and people making corpse-art that spells out urls.  EQ2?  Chat feed and in-game mail filters that automatically redirect suspected spam.  Maybe 3-4 times a YEAR I've been hit by actual RMT spam that made it through the filter.  So don't try to make us think you don't care what players exchange out-of-game for things in-game; actions make it very clear this is a MAJOR concern.

The problem here is this exact scenario was brought up in the Feedback thread, was addressed by a dev, and was treated as a Bad Thing.  (Sadly, search doesn't seem to work on the feedback thread, so I'll have to search manually for the exact quote - be sure I'll be back with it.)  And yet, a year later, it's happening.

There's a reason people keep using the slippery slope analogy concerning Station Cash - SOE keeps inching further down it.  Sony will never support RMT - well, except on new Exchange servers.  But RMT will only be on Exchange servers - except by RMT we mean cash exchange between players, not to us.  But nothing will be sold that will affect the game - well, except potions to increase advancement, restore vitality, or give speed boosts.  Oh, and that RMT only being between players thing?  Yeah, that doesn't count either as long as the cash is going to us.

Fine, okay, we get it.  You're a business, we're only your bottom line so far as the money we give you, and RMT is a cash cow.  But would it really hurt to be honest about this stuff without us having to browbeat you with the facts?  As they saying goes, you could have at least bought us dinner first.

Seriously, I would have been much less upset by this if you'd at least said, "We brought up this idea when the Marketplace first launched, and though some concerns were raised, after careful deliberation we've decided the benefits outweigh the risks."  Yeah, some folks (okay, most) would have figured that was smoke blowing where it shouldn't, but it'd at least acknowledge the concerns.  As it is, the post makes it sound like you're trying to pass this off as a brand new idea, hoping the fanbase forgot this was already addressed.

For the record, I also wouldn't have minded if this were just on Freeq and not Live, as there at least we know going in that the primary game concern is earning money through the RMT.

Edit: And count me in asking for a "Refuse" option.  I've quit groups over people bringing their RMT fluff pets out, and while other options have somewhat mollified me to the existence of the Marketplace, I do not want my friends throwing away money on me for things I don't want.  At least if they give me a gift from the store I don't want, I can return or exchange it.

Amnerys did a better job of expanding on my previous statement.

We take a stance against spam because its disruptive to your gameplay.  We take a stance against plat farmers because that industry is a huge source of compromised accounts, stolen credit cards and all sorts of behavior that costs the industry a ton of money and in general hurts everyone's gameplay experience.

The gifting option was created with the idea of enhancing your play experience and to allow people to share with others that they have come to call close friends over the years that EQII has been in existance.  Yes, some people will probably try to use it in other ways and we will continue to monitor that for problems.  If we feel that a certain behavior is taking away from your gameplay experience, we will come up with ways to address that.

I hear a couple of you already asking for the ability to refuse a gift and I will certainly bring that up for discussion in the near future.  It most likely won't be something you'd see prior to the expansion, but we will definitely look into it.  Until then, if you feel that someone is abusing the gifting feature, you should petition Customer Service.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Corydonn

Loremaster
Corydonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 744
Default

Will the transfer token be giftable in the future? It bums me out that you can't help people along with moving servers.

Corydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
PlaneCrazy

Loremaster
PlaneCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 934
Default

Rothgar wrote:

Lodrelhai wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

First, I want to state that the "you"s in the following rant are general at SOE rather than specifically at Rothgar.

Given that anyone, any time, could send Paypal money to anyone else for items in game and no one would notice because no one has access to half the transaction, this is a red herring.  If SOE were really that apathetic about RMT, there would be no reason to ban plat farmers at all.  Instead, SOE not only pursues them relentlessly, but has the best spam-blocking of any game I've played specifically so players don't even have to see the stuff.  Aion's world chat was so full of RMT ads you couldn't use it for anything else, and WoW has open advertising in city channels and people making corpse-art that spells out urls.  EQ2?  Chat feed and in-game mail filters that automatically redirect suspected spam.  Maybe 3-4 times a YEAR I've been hit by actual RMT spam that made it through the filter.  So don't try to make us think you don't care what players exchange out-of-game for things in-game; actions make it very clear this is a MAJOR concern.

The problem here is this exact scenario was brought up in the Feedback thread, was addressed by a dev, and was treated as a Bad Thing.  (Sadly, search doesn't seem to work on the feedback thread, so I'll have to search manually for the exact quote - be sure I'll be back with it.)  And yet, a year later, it's happening.

There's a reason people keep using the slippery slope analogy concerning Station Cash - SOE keeps inching further down it.  Sony will never support RMT - well, except on new Exchange servers.  But RMT will only be on Exchange servers - except by RMT we mean cash exchange between players, not to us.  But nothing will be sold that will affect the game - well, except potions to increase advancement, restore vitality, or give speed boosts.  Oh, and that RMT only being between players thing?  Yeah, that doesn't count either as long as the cash is going to us.

Fine, okay, we get it.  You're a business, we're only your bottom line so far as the money we give you, and RMT is a cash cow.  But would it really hurt to be honest about this stuff without us having to browbeat you with the facts?  As they saying goes, you could have at least bought us dinner first.

Seriously, I would have been much less upset by this if you'd at least said, "We brought up this idea when the Marketplace first launched, and though some concerns were raised, after careful deliberation we've decided the benefits outweigh the risks."  Yeah, some folks (okay, most) would have figured that was smoke blowing where it shouldn't, but it'd at least acknowledge the concerns.  As it is, the post makes it sound like you're trying to pass this off as a brand new idea, hoping the fanbase forgot this was already addressed.

For the record, I also wouldn't have minded if this were just on Freeq and not Live, as there at least we know going in that the primary game concern is earning money through the RMT.

Edit: And count me in asking for a "Refuse" option.  I've quit groups over people bringing their RMT fluff pets out, and while other options have somewhat mollified me to the existence of the Marketplace, I do not want my friends throwing away money on me for things I don't want.  At least if they give me a gift from the store I don't want, I can return or exchange it.

Amnerys did a better job of expanding on my previous statement.

We take a stance against spam because its disruptive to your gameplay.  We take a stance against plat farmers because that industry is a huge source of compromised accounts, stolen credit cards and all sorts of behavior that costs the industry a ton of money and in general hurts everyone's gameplay experience.

The gifting option was created with the idea of enhancing your play experience and to allow people to share with others that they have come to call close friends over the years that EQII has been in existance.  Yes, some people will probably try to use it in other ways and we will continue to monitor that for problems.  If we feel that a certain behavior is taking away from your gameplay experience, we will come up with ways to address that.

I hear a couple of you already asking for the ability to refuse a gift and I will certainly bring that up for discussion in the near future.  It most likely won't be something you'd see prior to the expansion, but we will definitely look into it.  Until then, if you feel that someone is abusing the gifting feature, you should petition Customer Service.

Will this new Gift feature impact the SC specials that we have seen in the past.... like the 50% off SC promotion we just had a lil' while ago?  Once certain players start exploiting the selling of SC items for in-game plat, then they will use such promotions to "restock" their wares and double their profits... so to speak.

__________________
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #17
Luag

Loremaster
Luag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 207
Default

JenarieII wrote:

PLEASE add a "refuse" button that sends the item back to the marketplace and refunds the station cash to the purchaser. 

I am going to be EXTREMELY upset if someone in game ever buys me a gift and I have no chance to refuse.  I don't allow people to give me things in real life and I should be able to say 'no thank you' in game as well.

only on an internet forum would someone be "EXTREMELY" upset about getting something for free, why is complaining about nothing so important to some people?

and for the guy below, where is the down side of your scenario? I send someone a warg with my half price SC and someone sends me one back with their full price SC they didn't buy during the promo, what would acomplish? I would still have bought a warg at half price and he still bought one at full price, that's an exploit to you?

PlaneCrazy wrote:

Will this new Gift feature impact the SC specials that we have seen in the past.... like the 50% off SC promotion we just had a lil' while ago?  Once certain players start exploiting the selling of SC items for in-game plat, then they will use such promotions to "restock" their wares and double their profits... so to speak.

Luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #18
Aerfen
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Felwithe Freedom Fighters
Rank: Leader

Loremaster
Aerfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 524
Default

Frankly at this point I just find it amusing that they posted this gift giving nonsense the same day they post yet another $25 mount.  Gotta love MACRO transactions.

__________________


Thank you for giving carpenters building blocks!! - Lady Aerfen
Aerfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #19
Lodrelhai

Loremaster
Lodrelhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default

Said I'd be back.  It was two years ago, not last year, sorry.  Anyway, post from Froech, about 2/3 of the way down the page:

There has also been a comment or two worrying about trading these items which I wanted to address. We have no plans to allow any of these items to be traded, and in fact built the system with that expectation. Any item we add in the future will share the  no-trade and no-value flags, so that unscrupulous folks can't jigger the system so that they can just buy the items, and either turn them into plat by selling them to others, or "sell" them at some reduced rate for cash. We spend enough time chasing down gold farmers, another issue that comes up repeatedly, and adding an additional way for them to operate was a non-starter for us.

It's not the discussion I was thinking of, but does still directly address this.

As for the Dev responses we have gotten...

1) Having this applied because people asked for it isn't exactly reassuring, since some people have also been asking for actual stat armor (good stats, not fluff), henchmen, "up-mentoring" potions that let you fight as a higher level character for a while, and unique recipes that crafter can't get any other way.  All of which would be game-affecting and therefore things we've been promised won't show up - as we were with gifting, based on what Froech said.

2) Spin all you like on how good this is, how it's not really allowing P2P transactions, whatever - you are missing the point: we asked about this, we were told it wouldn't happen, and then it happened and you are acting like it is a new and novel concept that was never discussed with the player base before.  Heck, even saying it was asked for only came after players started griping.  You could have at least, in your post here if not the announcement on EQ2players, given us an acknowledgement of the prior discussion and the points raised.

Short version - I'm barely disgruntled that this exists, but I am furious that you pulled a complete 180 on us AGAIN and won't even acknowledge that your current actions contradict your previous promises.

To Luag, the issue here isn't exchanging gift items of comparable SC value.  The issue is exchanging SC items for in-game platinum, or stockpiling SC during double-SC events, then later offering to sell SC items to other players for less than the full-rate cost of the items on the Marketplace.  The exploit opportunities were seen by players as soon as SOE mentioned the idea of "gifting" SC back when it first launched, were brought to the attention of the devs then, and we're deemed not worth the benefits.  Apparently the potential profit margin is now considered better than any losses P2P transactions might cause.

Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #20
Torvos

Loremaster
Torvos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 43
Default

Rothgar wrote:

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

So it was a concern before, but we don't really care now?

__________________


Torvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #21
KerowynnKaotic

Tormentor of Fae
KerowynnKaotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Arizona
Posts: 1,862
Default

Torvos wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Torvos wrote:

We were told things like this wouldn't happen, because it would allow people to pay real life money for thingsfavors in game. Why is it being allowed now?

Can't someone already do this with Paypal if they wanted to?

So it was a concern before, but we don't really care now?

Basically, it's another way to legitimize plat buying.  As long as the player is buying an item/LoN pack from SOE, they can do whatever they want with it.  Use it to exchange for their Epic, straight plat, whatever can be transferred to the in-game purchaser. 

Sometimes I think the guy/committee that comes up with this crap is on the take for WoW.  'Cause they are doing an excellent job of killing the game from the inside.  Slowly erroding all pride and the desire to actually -play- the game like it was orignally meant to.   

Though, I am looking foward to purchasing my Myth off the Marketplace.  I'd love to be able to have it just to put in my App slot.  No way am I actually going to -raid- for it!  ugh.  Just bag it up and put a bow on it, please and thank you!  

That last part was sarcasm btw .. yes, I would like to have it but since I'll never raid, I'll just never have it and I'm fine with that.

__________________


KerowynnKaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #22
Gaige

Loremaster
Gaige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,500
Default

I like it, pretty easy to sell $25 mounts for 500 plat a pop on Unrest, and vice versa.  Opens up the SC marketplace to me without ever spending anymore rl money.  I have tons of plat, now I can put it to use on cool looking robes and mounts.

Rothgar wrote:

Yes, some people will probably try to use it in other ways and we will continue to monitor that for problems.  If we feel that a certain behavior is taking away from your gameplay experience, we will come up with ways to address that.

How can you though?  My plat is mine and I'm free to give it to whoever I want.  For a service, for an item, or because I'm feeling nice.  Much like gifting SC is my option.  I could gift everyone on Unrest a mount and if they decided to donate some plat to me out of the goodness of their hearts, how is that against any rules?

__________________
Gaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #23
Vortexelemental
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Wherever the Wind May Blow
Rank: Wind

Loremaster
Vortexelemental's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,115
Default

I told you so.

__________________
You must be joking. SoE? Reputable? Don't make me giggle.

Ah, you went and made me giggle.

There goes my sandwich.
Vortexelemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #24
ratdeath

Loremaster
ratdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 315
Default

Thanks!

Waited a long time for this.

__________________
what I used to think was me is just a fading memory
ratdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 AM   #25
Spiratus
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Knights of the White Shield
Rank: Officer

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 27
Default

Hooray! I like this.

Try to enjoy the game instead of whining about peeps who have better gear or more plat than you.

It's nice to be able to send a somewhat nice gift ingame! SMILEY

__________________
Spiratus - Warlock of Splitpaw
Spiratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #26
JenarieII

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
Default

Luag wrote:

only on an internet forum would someone be "EXTREMELY" upset about getting something for free, why is complaining about nothing so important to some people?

To you it is nothing but to me it is extremely important.  Some gifts come with expectations.  That's really the senders problem but I find it easier to avoid altogether by just avoiding taking anything from anyone unless I know them well and trust them.  And even the people who I do know and trust I prefer not to give me things if I can't reciprocate. 

I don't want to spend my money on station cash and I don't want anyone else spending money on station cash for me.  For themselves and anyone else who wants to receive the items, fine.  But I don't want it and I should be able to opt of out it.  

JenarieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #27
Ter

General
Ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 107
Default

Gaige wrote:

How can you though?  My plat is mine and I'm free to give it to whoever I want.  For a service, for an item, or because I'm feeling nice.  Much like gifting SC is my option.  I could gift everyone on Unrest a mount and if they decided to donate some plat to me out of the goodness of their hearts, how is that against any rules?

If I were to give mr platspammer some money using paypal, and he in turn gives me some plat out of the goodness of his heart, all he does is do what he wants with his plat. Yet I'm pretty sure you run the risk of getting banned doing that, and I'd imagine it will be the same thing if it involves SC rather than RL money.

Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #28
Brook

Tester
Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,336
Default

Amnerys wrote:

People will always find ways around any stops that are put in any game. It's just life and the challenge that type of person feels when they come up against a stop. We do our best to keep folks from doing harmful things, but if someone wants to "pay" another player for things/favors, they're going to find a way to do it with or without a gifting option, I suppose.

We've had so many requests over the past year to be able to give both Station Cash and items from the Marketplace to other players, and now we're able to offer the Marketplace gifting, so we thought that it was a good service to add on at this time. Station Cash gifting still isn't an option right now, and I think there's was once more of a concern of that type of gifting being abused. But again, people will find a way to do it if they really want to. I'd like to believe that the majority of our players will use this service for good, spreading happiness and smiles with their friends, just as an IRL gift would do.

So, since people will find a way to do things anyway your going to give them the tools to do it, call it legal, and that makes it OK because your making the profit....thats what I see here.

There have been request over the years for pvp to pve/pve to pvp transfers yet we still don't have them.

This is the RMT we were told would never come to this game. Why should the playerbase believe anything from any of you guys anymore? Personally I think y'all are full of it or prop 19 passed and the rest of the country was lied to about it, ya your just the messenger blah blah blah...

w/e

__________________
But seriously, you're the kind of guy that zones into gears without a healer and spends the whole match talking about the fact there isn't a healer instead of contributing. I hate you, and everyone like you that plays this game. Please spend less time whining and more time winning, it contributes to the general growth of the game and makes gameplay more enjoyable for all.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #29
JoarAddam

Loremaster
JoarAddam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,239
Default

WTS   100 boosters, sent via gift, PST.

and then I sell the boosters for 2.89 each.

__________________
Then Than

You're Your

They're There Their
JoarAddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #30
Finora

Tester
Finora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,423
Default

I can don't see why people are getting so very upset over this.

True it could make it more easy for people to buy raid drops for SC items, but that does involve finding a guild willing to do it for a SC item (or the person buying it to buy SC items for x number of those involved). I'm pretty sure people could previously have gone a more direct route and sent cash via other means for such things before. Works out to the same thing.

Same for the dreaded PL services.

Don't think I'm defending people buying powerleveling or plat or raid items or anything like that. I'm not.

I don't even really use SC. I've only bought some character slots.

I just don't see how this new service is going to suddenly make anything any different than it already is. The same people who already buy, sell, trade stuff will still be the ones doing it. It might tip a couple more over to what I'll call the dark side, but more than likely those are people who already had been seriously considering doing it via other means. If by some circumstance it becomes a rampant problem, I'm pretty sure SOE will do something about it.

I see some good coming out of this service. For people with multiple accounts. They could now keep all the SC that they get from here on out (save any freebie per account stuff that might show up) on one account. That would help with leftover change spread out over accounts.  I suppose parents could use it to control kid's SC purchases. As well as the obvious, being able to gift things to your friends/family.

I DO think there should be a refuse button. If someone I don't know sent me something, I certainly wouldn't want to accept it.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.