EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Testers Only
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

What do you guys think of the change to object placement so that it no longer forces you into first person view? I've gotten reports that sometimes you lose your mouse cursor when placing objects or possibly hitting escape before clicking on a location.  Have you seen any other issues with this feature?  How do you feel it compares to the previous method?  Is it easier to get objects positions exactly where you want them?
Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Jaydelyn

Tester

Overall, I like the 3rd person view for placing things, if a bit of tweaking is possible.  I think I get a better feel for how something will look once I've placed it, so I don't find myself moving things over and over again quite as much.  (And this has been a perfect time to check this out, as Chiana just moved into a big house to celebrate getting to 70).  There are a couple of things I've noticed:

On bookcases that are actually useable to place books on (i.e. the T2 maple bookcase), it is very difficult to get into a position where anything above the bottom shelf can be placed.  I've had to do some serious jitterbugging on top of chairs, altars, and the like to get just the right angle so I could place a book on the second shelf from the bottom.  However when having trouble with that, it's very easy to place something all the way on top of the bookcase.

Once you place an item, many times it 'uses' that item.  Such as snowglobes, when clicking to put the item down, it starts the music playing.  With the everlasting keg from the Brell quests, BAM you're drunk when you place it anywhere (this in particular was quite frustrating as it put my decorating on hold when it happened...couldn't see anything correctly in order to decorate LOL).  I did that one twice by the way, and assumed after that, that it would happen every time.  The keg is still not exactly where I want it to go but I don't want to get drunk and have to afk for another 20 minutes SMILEY

I have had a few collision issues with hanging large items on the wall like my dragon tapestry, but honestly I don't know if that is from the new viewpoint, or if it has been that way all along.  As a work around I just put the tapestry in a slightly different position and it worked fine.

I have noticed my cursor disappearing once something has been placed but not every time, and also if I hit escape before placing an item, the cursor poofs every time.  Once I click anywhere on the screen like Niami described, it comes back, though sometimes I have to click more than once for that to happen.

That is all I can think of at the moment, but if I think of anymore, I'll add to this.

Jaydelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
nat_lyte

Tester

been hearing some issues in splitpaw of people being unable to put down barrels and crates once they pick them up without some funky ninja mouse moves, i THINK it was hold one mouse button click the other while moving it off the item of something crazy like that, cant confirm myself but heard em talking about it ill try and get something more solid for ya
nat_lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
NiamiDenMother

EQ2TC

Test went boom on me in the middle of playing with this today, and I'm busy enough that I'm not sure if I'll be able to poke at it more today. So far, I'm liking the change, for the most part, especially when playing one of my height-challenged folks who can't get a solid perspective from first person. Book placement has *always* been a pain, and I have gone so far as to have a stool placed next to the bookshelf in my fae's acorn.  When that isn't enough height for line-of-sight to a shelf, she does this really cool leap-glide-place-and-pray routine.  SMILEY I'll try to get some time tomorrow to bring one of the youngsters into Splitpaw to test out crates and such if nobody gets to it first.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Domino

Loremaster

Actually, I was in Splitpaw on Test earlier this week and I found it a little fiddly to place the barrels with the new placement system but still quite doable, however I only had to place about 2 of them so I didn't test all possible locations.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
ZeyGnome

Tester

3rd person placement outside the house is quite wonky.  Yesterday afternoon I was doing the Mirror access quest in Poet's Palace that reuired me to move a bnch of those statuettes to the platforms.  If anything is a good test to show problems with 3rd person placement, that's the right quest to test it with!

Whenever you try to place the little guys, it immediately gets picked back up again.  The only workaround I found was to hold down the left btton when placing and dragging the mouse down and then releasing the mouse button.  Not very friendly, especially in this situation where you have to place each statuette 3 times (once for each door, and once on the pedestal). 

I love 3rd person placement in the house, but this needs a bit of tuning.   Maybe on these type of quests require double click to pick up the item?  That way you wouldn't automatically grab the item again after placing it.