EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Rendoir

Loremaster

Hi team, 

Krono was very unexpected for me, and VERY welcome. You mention how for veteran players with tons of ingame currency they can turn it into gametime.

But.. why stop there? 

1Kr = $17.99

CoE expac = $39.99 - Why not tailor the Kr slightly to allow players to purchase the expac, or gift the expac with these tokens? It would be great for some players who are short on cash and long on plat, while retaining the value of the expac because of a fixed price on the Krono.

Server Transfer Tokens - 2Kr. Expac - 3Kr. SC Top-up Amounts - 1, 2, 5 or 10 Kr packs. 

I would be happy to buy 3Krono to purchase an expac, which would effectively mean you as a company were going to receive $53.97 instead of $39.99. A win-win situation for all parties, you the provider, me the purchaser, and for the 1 2 or 3 people who would have bought the Krono to then have some plats to play with in game.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
retro_guy

Loremaster

I'd like this idea to be put into place in some form.

Converting plat into Krono to buy gametime AND expansions would be great.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Novusod

Loremaster

This is a great idea. Three Krono = buy the expansion.

Make it happen.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

retro_guy wrote:

Converting plat into Krono to buy gametime AND expansions would be great.

this would be great, hopefully it will be put in for future expansions.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Chronus1

Loremaster

Novusod wrote:

This is a great idea. Three Krono = buy the expansion.

Make it happen.

Agreed.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Gravy

Lord

Expect it in the future. For example, CCP allows Eve Online players to pay for character transfers with PLEX.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Rendoir

Loremaster

This would bring a lot of vets back, sitting on tons of plat but playing other games so not wanting to lay out yet more of their cash on more expacs.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

I like this idea.  I also espouse the idea of allowing players to purchase incremental gold cap increase per character to be able to buy these from other players.  It's a pure win-win for SOE.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Ambrin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

I was thinking about this earlier, here are my suggestions:

• Reduce the Price of 1 Krono to $5.
  • Allow players to purchase all current subscriptions with Krono (ie 1 month Gold for 3 Kr, 1 month all Access for 4 Kr, 1 year for 24 Kr, etc).
  • Allow Krono to be used to purchase all SoE games / expansions.
  • Allow Krono to be redemeed for Station cash (1Kr = 500SC).
  • Increase the plat cap for free players to the point where they will actually be able to buy/sell Krono.
The lower price of the Krono will encourage players to buy the item more as a quick impulse buy. If I only need 200plat I might be tempted to simply buy 1 Kr and sell it for as much instead of being forced to buy $18 worth of Kr/plat.
Allowing the Krono to be used for more than just subscriptions will drive further demand for it. Now players will want to stock pile Krono for Station Cash and expansions as well as subscriptions. This could easily drive an increase in SC purchases by itself by essentially allowing players to buy SC items for plat (on the players end anyways, real money is still be exchanged).
As long as you don't offer any kind of "buy 1 Kr, get 2 Kr free" type deals you will also never have to worry about devaluing the Krono as a currency. If someone spend 3 Kr for a monthly sub or $15 cash, SoE makes the exact same amount of money.

Ambrin - 92 Monk / 92 Tailor / 320 AA

Ambryn - 92 Dirge / 320 AA

Visjeer - 92 Necromancer

Oryn - 90 Inquisitor
Ambrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Opeij

Master

I was actually just thinking of this yesterday. I don't want to have to buy the next expac with RL money, because, well, I wouldn't have very much use of it. I have real life things that get in the way of playing eq2 a lot, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't play nearly as much as I did so I wouldn't get burned out.

I know before the idea of krono was made, I was just going to quit when my sub ran out (somewhere in december). However, with krono, I'll probably continue playing since it won't cost me, personally, any real-life money. If I can buy the expac with krono, I would definitely keep playing.

Opeij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Regolas

Loremaster

I can see a few issues with doing that in its version 1 form. Currently krono v1 is a single item that you consume like a potion for 30 day extention to game time. If you made it able to purchase other things, it would be like shards or dungeon marks or whatever. Not impossible by any means, but not quite what it's currently designed for.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
bucketon

Loremaster

how valuble is pp though? its probably worth a new player buying one or two (assuming these kronos have a good fast selling value) to get collectables, but i dont see a lot else on the broker market that a player levelling up would want.

bucketon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I was thinking about this earlier, here are my suggestions:

• Reduce the Price of 1 Krono to $5.
  • Allow players to purchase all current subscriptions with Krono (ie 1 month Gold for 3 Kr, 1 month all Access for 4 Kr, 1 year for 24 Kr, etc).
  • Allow Krono to be used to purchase all SoE games / expansions.
  • Allow Krono to be redemeed for Station cash (1Kr = 500SC).
  • Increase the plat cap for free players to the point where they will actually be able to buy/sell Krono.
The lower price of the Krono will encourage players to buy the item more as a quick impulse buy. If I only need 200plat I might be tempted to simply buy 1 Kr and sell it for as much instead of being forced to buy $18 worth of Kr/plat.
Allowing the Krono to be used for more than just subscriptions will drive further demand for it. Now players will want to stock pile Krono for Station Cash and expansions as well as subscriptions. This could easily drive an increase in SC purchases by itself by essentially allowing players to buy SC items for plat (on the players end anyways, real money is still be exchanged).
As long as you don't offer any kind of "buy 1 Kr, get 2 Kr free" type deals you will also never have to worry about devaluing the Krono as a currency. If someone spend 3 Kr for a monthly sub or $15 cash, SoE makes the exact same amount of money.

This is exactly what I would like to see as well. Do it SOE! Doooo ittttttttt. You know you want to. 

Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Gilasil

Loremaster

I agree.  There have been times I've known someone who was having hard times. I wanted to help but had great difficulty doing so.  Last time I was lucky and we had a mutual friend with the person's real life address so I just mailed a check, but that doesn't always work.

I'm betting SoE wants to see how the Krono does before they try going beyond it.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
ZUES

Loremaster

Agreed. Either way SoE still generates the exact same, if not more, revenue from these proposed changes. This would be HUGE for returning veteran players. Servers will increase in population as a direct result. Lets not forget boxed accounts and the potential for more multiboxing. No matter how you look at it, this idea = win! It's a win for the players AND it's a win for Sony.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

Are there REALLY enough people buying in-game Platinum to either make this worth the Dev's resources or the Players time??

So what is the going rate of Plat on servers these days?  I see people in /auction buying SC cards for 300 - 500 plat, MAYBE as high as 800p on double events or 1000 on Triple events.  So the going rate for in-game plat is 4 to 6 SC per 1 plat.  I understand that the players with more plat than money sell to players with more money than plat, but I can't believe there are THAT many people buying plat thru SC exchanges or from 3rd party gold farmers these days.

Kronos will control plat costs, but it will also be effected by supply and demand.  Are people going buy, for $17.99, Kronos to sell on speculation that the exchange of plat to RL cash for TIME will be better than plat for RL for SC-Items.  Between the goblin games (P2W) and the Krono (P2P) it seems this is SOE's answer to 3rd party gold sellers, but it puts them in the financing business and opens them up to support in-game player to player trades when people start stealing plat from eachother.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

Are there REALLY enough people buying in-game Platinum to either make this worth the Dev's resources or the Players time??

Yes

Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
zehly

Loremaster

I think it's an extremely slippery slope. Essentially you're looking for tradeable SC that isn't influenced by SC promotions. That's clever (and probably dangerous). I can see it now: WTS [Uber Item] S/O $25 B/O $100 Again, slippery slope.. that's just making it TOO easy.

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
SteelPiston

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Hi team, 

Krono was very unexpected for me, and VERY welcome. You mention how for veteran players with tons of ingame currency they can turn it into gametime.

But.. why stop there? 

1Kr = $17.99

CoE expac = $39.99 - Why not tailor the Kr slightly to allow players to purchase the expac, or gift the expac with these tokens? It would be great for some players who are short on cash and long on plat, while retaining the value of the expac because of a fixed price on the Krono.

Server Transfer Tokens - 2Kr. Expac - 3Kr. SC Top-up Amounts - 1, 2, 5 or 10 Kr packs. 

I would be happy to buy 3Krono to purchase an expac, which would effectively mean you as a company were going to receive $53.97 instead of $39.99. A win-win situation for all parties, you the provider, me the purchaser, and for the 1 2 or 3 people who would have bought the Krono to then have some plats to play with in game.

I agree with this idea, but not with those wanting Krono busted down into smaller denominations. Krono is SOE's new stable currency. Station Cash 2.0

Station Cash was supposed to be the only game/realworld currency until some tinkering with the exchange rates messed up it's worth beyond repair. The same will happen to Krono if a line in the sand isn't drawn. I hope that 1 Krono and it's value become etched in stone. The 2 Krono for a transfer and 3 Krono for an expansion seems excessive at $35.98 and $53.97, but hey, you're paying with a bunch of useless plat and not your own real world $US.

Being able to surrender 1 Krono for 1800SC would make sense seeing as $15 gives you 1500SC. This would also go some way to removing the SC sellers from the game.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
bks6721

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

??   Um yeah.  For the last two months I've made the commitment to log out when I see people buying/selling plat in chat.  I haven't played more than 15 minutes straight in the last two months.  Buying your way through the game is the new norm.

Looking forward to "SLR for xxx item, only 5 Krono",  that will be heaven.  That is when Smokes 'fundamental transformation' will be complete and this will no longer be the game it once was.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
SOE-MOD-17

Community Moderator

Hi! Please direct any and all feedback, ideas, questions or concerns about Krono to our Official Feedback thread here. Thanks!

Closing thread.

SOE-MOD-17 is offline   Reply With Quote