EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
J3beme

Journeyman

What gives with all the AFK players with pets or mercs?  I can understand if they are AFK for a few mins, but to plant yourself on mobs that are required for a quest and go AFK all day while your at work or school is just wrong.  Everywhere I go I see a player that is clearly AFK XPing.  You can tell they are AFK XPing due to the length of time they are in that one spot and all the unopened treasure.  I would guess this is against the rules somewhere.

Can we get some info if this is allowed?  I'm sure players who do this method are unaware of the consequences as well.  Can we also get some info on what is being done about this and what are the punishments taken place? It's definitely a growing issue.

J3beme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

J3beme wrote:

What gives with all the AFK players with pets or mercs?  I can understand if they are AFK for a few mins, but to plant yourself on mobs that are required for a quest and go AFK all day while your at work or school is just wrong.  Everywhere I go I see a player that is clearly AFK XPing.  You can tell they are AFK XPing due to the length of time they are in that one spot and all the unopened treasure.  I would guess this is against the rules somewhere.

Can we get some info if this is allowed?  I'm sure players who do this method are unaware of the consequences as well.  Can we also get some info on what is being done about this and what are the punishments taken place? It's definitely a growing issue.

if it bothers you, then /petition the character and CS will determine if they are AFK and then they will determine what to do about it.

otherwise /ignore it

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Yimway

Loremaster

Just wanted to add that just cause the chests aren't looted doesn't mean anything. 

For example, I'll ding the first 15 levels just spamming aoe's where mobs constantly spawn and run by, and I'm pretty sure those are needed for quests.

Others will grind the same spot for hours for grinding AA's.

The boxes drop _nothing_ I'm interested in, so I just leave them all around.

It sucks for players who need quest updates, but SoE decided to remove all the places we could grind mobs in instances, so you guys are just going to have to deal with us doing it on your quest mobs now.

But if you truely believe its someone abusing afk mechanics, then petition.  CS will despawn the merc or pet and watch the player not react and die.  Generally they'll reward them with a 7 day vacation as a result.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Onorem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Just wanted to add that just cause the chests aren't looted doesn't mean anything. 

For example, I'll ding the first 15 levels just spamming aoe's where mobs constantly spawn and run by, and I'm pretty sure those are needed for quests.

Others will grind the same spot for hours for grinding AA's.

The boxes drop _nothing_ I'm interested in, so I just leave them all around.

It sucks for players who need quest updates, but SoE decided to remove all the places we could grind mobs in instances, so you guys are just going to have to deal with us doing it on your quest mobs now.

But if you truely believe its someone abusing afk mechanics, then petition.  CS will despawn the merc or pet and watch the player not react and die.  Generally they'll reward them with a 7 day vacation as a result.

As a first option, try sending them a tell asking if they mind letting you grab an update or few...

It doesn't have to be an abuse of afk mechanics for it to be considered disruptive.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Mohee

Lord

I've petitioned so many people I see AFK xp'ing throughout all my years of EQ2. They're quite easy to spot.

Lately i've been seeing full boxed groups on freeport server with a couple pet classes, and the character spread out just enough to cover multiple Mob spawn points, and for the pets to still auto attack the mobs. Clever... 1 pet class here, 1 pet class there, the other 4 all standing inside of eachother.

Quite frankly, all these toons I /petition, i also /friend. I haven't seen any of them log in since. 

Anyone who AFK's to grind experience with pets/mercs, and think's it not wrong, or considered an exploit, deserves to be suspended/banned. Specially blatantly doing it in an open zone for everyone to see.

Besides... this game is easy enough as is, do you really suck that bad, or are that lazy, that you need to AFK xp?

Playing your actual toon, and killing stuff while you are there, but not looting chests? Nothing wrong with that at all.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Deago

Loremaster

I do not care if people use mercs to afk exp. 

1.  You are paying the merc to kill for you..not like it is free soo if I pay you 200.00usd to sculpt my yard will you be angry if I am taking a snooze while your out in the hot sun? 

2.  Rate of exp you get doing that is so slow compared to actual grinding it is lol

3. SOE pretty  much wants us at 90 anyway so .....why would they really step in?  They know this is going on and I am sure knew it would prior to mercs anyway...

4. Does it really change your gameplay?  Quest mobs...maybe but even then most pop very quickly and only jerks would park a merc next to a named anyway.

My take on it all.  I do not afk grind do to the fact it is so magoo and the feelings towards it is just terrible.

Mohee what is your reasoning behind why somebody should being banned for afk grinding?  Besides moral mess give us some facts.  Not arguing just trying to see where it is all coming from etc..

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Brigh

Loremaster

J3beme wrote:

No idea where you are going as I have never seen this.

What I have seen is obvious players not caring about loot and just power leveling.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Deago

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

J3beme wrote:

What I have seen is obvious players not caring about loot and just power leveling.

Yeah I mostly see this as well.  Blame itemization etc..for the treasure chests being pretty much useless lower levels.  Unless im muting I rarely loot junk so it is not uncommon to see numerous chests laying around my 'kill zone'  SMILEY

Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Mohee

Lord

Deago wrote:

Brigh wrote:

J3beme wrote:

Yeah I mostly see this as well.  Blame itemization etc..for the treasure chests being pretty much useless lower levels.  Unless im muting I rarely loot junk so it is not uncommon to see numerous chests laying around my 'kill zone' 

Scoop up their loot

sell to vendor

Make Plats!

thats what i do! Thank you PLers!

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Deago

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

Deago wrote:

Brigh wrote:

J3beme wrote:

Yeah I mostly see this as well.  Blame itemization etc..for the treasure chests being pretty much useless lower levels.  Unless im muting I rarely loot junk so it is not uncommon to see numerous chests laying around my 'kill zone' 

Scoop up their loot

sell to vendor

Make Plats!

thats what i do! Thank you PLers!

I like your attitude lol

Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
Seiffil
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Grievance

Loremaster

Unattended gameplay is against the rules, so you could petition them as others have said and if they really are afk, the gm's will generally take action.  Not looting chests isn't really against the rules though.

Seiffil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
Brigh

Loremaster

I fell asleep once with my pet out. Will you have me suspended for that?

-Stephen Colbert

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
LadyMist

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

1.  You are paying the merc to kill for you..not like it is free soo if I pay you 200.00usd to sculpt my yard will you be angry if I am taking a snooze while your out in the hot sun? 

How can you compare gameplay with real life lol. Your still a player your still out there killing but your not snoozing on the spot your at work or off watching some movie while you break the tos that doesn't take a rocket scientist to read. And hwat of the lower guying payig his merc to hunt with him? thats money wasted cause mr afk merc bot set

2.  Rate of exp you get doing that is so slow compared to actual grinding it is lol

So is the rate you get your plat ingame but hey buying plat for the game is still against the tos too

3. SOE pretty  much wants us at 90 anyway so .....why would they really step in?  They know this is going on and I am sure knew it would prior to mercs anyway..

No Soe wants you to enjoy their game if you skip to the end your one of the ones most likely to leave the fastest. And no they don't know whats going on they cant police thousands of players. That's why people like me don't mind reporting people for breaking the tos. And if they didnt mind then why are these folks banned?

4. Does it really change your gameplay?  Quest mobs...maybe but even then most pop very quickly and only jerks would park a merc next to a named anyway.

Yes it affects peoples game play. More than one newbie or alt is going to roll through there for their updates. pft prolly a muter or two trying to work themselves up. This gam isn't played by 5 people

My take on it all.  I do not afk grind do to the fact it is so magoo and the feelings towards it is just terrible.

Mohee what is your reasoning behind why somebody should being banned for afk grinding?  Besides moral mess give us some facts.  Not arguing just trying to see where it is all coming from etc..

The reason is Its against the tos why dont you send in a /feedback to soe and ask them why its a rule not to. edit to post soe's take

[EQ2] Gaining Experience while AFK

Answer ID 17502   |    Published 06/19/2007 02:08 PM   |    Updated 06/18/2011 03:10 PM

Gaining Experience while AFK

Is it OK to gain exp while AFK?  No.   By taking advantage of (or exploiting) a game mechanic to advance a character with no input by the player, you are gaining an unfair advantage over others and are in violation of SOE policies.  Gaining experience while you are not at the keyboard is not intended gameplay and can result in disciplinary action taken upon your account.  Disciplinary action for unattended game play can include, but is not limited to; account warning, account suspension, and permanent account cancellation (ban).  If you are playing a pet class and need to go AFK for an extended period of time (i.e. longer then a few moments), please make sure you are in a safe area away from where agro mobs wander or spawn. Please review the EverQuest II Rules of Conduct which includes the following: 12. You will not exploit any bug in EverQuest II and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits in game), either directly or through public posting, to any other user of EverQuest II. You will promptly report any such bug via the in-game "/bug" command. You may also report any such bugs/exploits by submitting a customer service help ticket through our in-game petition process.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
Onorem

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

I fell asleep once with my pet out. Will you have me suspended for that?

Benefit of the doubt...For once? Sure. For those who clearly are just /afking and taking advantage of pets/merc, yep...I'd love to see them suspended.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
shikimisan

Hero

Brigh wrote:

J3beme wrote:

I've only been playing EQ2 for a week, and I have already seen this happening on Freeport.  It was in the New Halas newbie zone.  Some guy had seven different characters, all with names like "(name)paladin," "(name)necro", etc.  They were all around level 19.  He had the beastlord and the conjuror stand in the middle of a spawn zone while the other non-pet classes stood to the side (presumably all grouped), and each time a mob would spawn, they'd aggro the pet class and the pet would defend and kill it.  This went on over a four hour period one day, and none of the characters ever moved during that time, so I figured they were AFK.

shikimisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #16
Deago

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

Deago wrote:

How can you compare gameplay with real life lol. Your still a player your still out there killing but your not snoozing on the spot your at work or off watching some movie while you break the tos that doesn't take a rocket scientist to read. And hwat of the lower guying payig his merc to hunt with him? thats money wasted cause mr afk merc bot set

So is the rate you get your plat ingame but hey buying plat for the game is still against the tos too

3. SOE pretty  much wants us at 90 anyway so .....why would they really step in?  They know this is going on and I am sure knew it would prior to mercs anyway..

No Soe wants you to enjoy their game if you skip to the end your one of the ones most likely to leave the fastest. And no they don't know whats going on they cant police thousands of players. That's why people like me don't mind reporting people for breaking the tos. And if they didnt mind then why are these folks banned?

Yes it affects peoples game play. More than one newbie or alt is going to roll through there for their updates. pft prolly a muter or two trying to work themselves up. This gam isn't played by 5 people

The reason is Its against the tos why dont you send in a /feedback to soe and ask them why its a rule not to. edit to post soe's take

Answer ID 17502   |    Published 06/19/2007 02:08 PM   |    Updated 06/18/2011 03:10 PM

Is it OK to gain exp while AFK?  No.   By taking advantage of (or exploiting) a game mechanic to advance a character with no input by the player, you are gaining an unfair advantage over others and are in violation of SOE policies.  Gaining experience while you are not at the keyboard is not intended gameplay and can result in disciplinary action taken upon your account.  Disciplinary action for unattended game play can include, but is not limited to; account warning, account suspension, and permanent account cancellation (ban).  If you are playing a pet class and need to go AFK for an extended period of time (i.e. longer then a few moments), please make sure you are in a safe area away from where agro mobs wander or spawn. Please review the EverQuest II Rules of Conduct which includes the following: 12. You will not exploit any bug in EverQuest II and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits in game), either directly or through public posting, to any other user of EverQuest II. You will promptly report any such bug via the in-game "/bug" command. You may also report any such bugs/exploits by submitting a customer service help ticket through our in-game petition process.

I can not argue with those legs.

Really can not argue if it is in the rule book however I can argue that SOE is making it very easy to break the rules.  It would be similar to telling a child you can not have pie and then bringing him to a bakery.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #17
bks6721

Loremaster

I petitioned a conj once about 4 years ago.. more to see what would happen than anything else.

within 5 minutes I did see a gm toon standing next to him for several minutes.  then the afk character died.. his corpse was still there an hour later.  I laughed.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
Brigh

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

What if you have all experience turned off? Can they tell if you do?

(To those not in the know, you can turn all experience off - from combat, to AA, to quest, etc)

Just a thought.

shikimisan wrote:

Brigh wrote:

J3beme wrote:

I've only been playing EQ2 for a week, and I have already seen this happening on Freeport.  It was in the New Halas newbie zone.  Some guy had seven different characters, all with names like "(name)paladin," "(name)necro", etc.  They were all around level 19.  He had the beastlord and the conjuror stand in the middle of a spawn zone while the other non-pet classes stood to the side (presumably all grouped), and each time a mob would spawn, they'd aggro the pet class and the pet would defend and kill it.  This went on over a four hour period one day, and none of the characters ever moved during that time, so I figured they were AFK.

Never assume anything when you do nothing yourself to know.

I work from home, so I can have my other monitor up and not touch the keyboard for gameplay, but I am still at the keyboard.

I may not see tells, or hear the tell sound effect "pop", as I have a separate tell chat tab, which I may also not see is lit up.

-Stephen Colbert

Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
agentsix

Loremaster

Saw a lot of this during the bonus XP weekend. People were parked on the far side of Eastern Wastes near the raptors. I think they are about level 93^ or so in groups of 3 or 4. They might be the highest regular spawns in overland zones. So if you were going to afk level, that'd be the spot.

agentsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
Katz

Loremaster

I've noticed one person who might have been afk leveling in the 4 years I've played.  However, I've been concentrating on playing the game, not looking for people breaking rules. 

There is a fine line between reporting people for obviously serious game violations and being one of those people we all learned to dislike in grade school....you know the one...the one always currying favor with the teacher......teacherrrrrr, he was talking when you weren't lookingggggggg!!!!!   

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
agentsix

Loremaster

Katz wrote:

I've noticed one person who might have been afk leveling in the 4 years I've played.  However, I've been concentrating on playing the game, not looking for people breaking rules. 

Its become much more common since the introduction of mercs. So much so, that during the double xp weekend I saw several people doing it around the same area in EW. It didn't affect me but if I was on one of those kill 10 rats quests it might have affected my gameplay.

agentsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

you guys seriously need a hobby(SOMETHING NEW TO DO IN GAME DEVS ... COUGH).. is eq2 that boring now?    After rampaging in seb for the last week solid trying to level a toon's aa .. i'd say i left at least 2,000 chests not opened.   I don't believe i'm exageratting.

meh.

personally.. i would much rather have an aa'd out toon with me then a level 90 100aa toon doing 1/10 their potential.

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
Nrgy

Lord

AFK XP gains are so increadibly low/slow that it isn't even worth the time or effort, even if that time is being stolen.  A player could easily gain the same amount of XP they got from 2 or 3 hours of AFK'ing pet/merc XP exploting if they spent 10 good minutes at the keyboard.

But maybe those people like to AFK to keep the Hackers from logging into and stealing their accounts after all the accounts/passwords/contact & CC info SOE compromised last year! 

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
Ragnaphore

Loremaster

Nrgy wrote:

AFK XP gains are so increadibly low/slow that it isn't even worth the time or effort, even if that time is being stolen.

You would have a point if there was any time or effort involved.

Is it slow and inefficient vs actual playing ? Sure, but so what ? It's still much, much faster than not killing anything at all because you're sleeping, at work, visiting relatives or however you spend your time outside of EQ2.

I wonder how many posters who don't think there's anything wrong with AFK leveling (which btw has nothing to do with clearing SoS without looting nor multiboxing with mostly only one active character) would be up in arms if SOE started to sell AAs or levels in the SC store ? 

Ragnaphore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
Nrgy

Lord

Ragnaphore wrote:

Nrgy wrote:

AFK XP gains are so increadibly low/slow that it isn't even worth the time or effort, even if that time is being stolen.

You would have a point if there was any time or effort involved.

Is it slow and inefficient vs actual playing ? Sure, but so what ? It's still much, much faster than not killing anything at all because you're sleeping, at work, visiting relatives or however you spend your time outside of EQ2.

I wonder how many posters who don't think there's anything wrong with AFK leveling (which btw has nothing to do with clearing SoS without looting nor multiboxing with mostly only one active character) would be up in arms if SOE started to sell AAs or levels in the SC store ? 

I don't disagree that there is actually zero time invested when AFK-XPing, I'm just saying that the gain is so insignificant that even that Zero effort isn't worth it.

If someone wants to AFK-XP then they should at least have the balls to run a Bot and actually get something from it as the risk is equal.  How many Tradeskill Bots are out there running writs 24/7?  At least they are getting something more for their zero time investment than XP you could replace with 10 minutes of actual game play.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

sigh.. aa grinding.

I turn my brain off, watch tv, sit in my chair for hours until i don't feel good and don't really want to log back in.  No thought, no enjoyment.  Just grind.

I wonder what's going to happen this week on Walking Dead.  Oh wait everquest.  next room pull .

yes yes,, go play hello kitty.. i know

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
Deago

Loremaster

1.  A game

2. Nothing we do or do not do in this game amounts to anything

3. Effort....refer to #1 and #2.

4. Mind your business because "in the end it doesnt even matter!!..." 

5. With the problems this game has ...afk exp I doubt tops the list.

6. Yes it is breaking the rules but from observation it is rarely enforced.  Stop being a crybaby.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
Marnus
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Tandros os Thol

Loremaster

This has happened to me in gfay on the ramp to grassy knoll-the orcs spawn at the bottom of the hill, and run up the hill to the guards. Some conjurer parked themselves down near the bottom, put his other 4 characters under one of the giant mushrooms nearby, out of sight, and was afk while the pet was killing. If it had been just the  10 Treasure chests unopened, i could see it being someone who just didnt care about loot. The fact that the idiot never moved, never cast a spell, never melee'd, never responded to tells-on any of the characters-mean that it was someone who was afk killing. The people saying things like "mind your own business" or "it doesnt affect you", or "wah, they took away my easy button, so its ok for me to gain aa's this way"-keep doing it, and those of us who play the game by the rules, will keep petitioning when we see cheating going on. It does work to petition btw, they cant tell you the outcome, but its fairly clear when you see a gm appear by the person, then the person "poofs" and you dont see them on your friends list for a while, if ever, that it works.

Marnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Brigh

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

This has happened to me in gfay on the ramp to grassy knoll-the orcs spawn at the bottom of the hill, and run up the hill to the guards. Some conjurer parked themselves down near the bottom, put his other 4 characters under one of the giant mushrooms nearby, out of sight, and was afk while the pet was killing. If it had been just the  10 Treasure chests unopened, i could see it being someone who just didnt care about loot. The fact that the idiot never moved, never cast a spell, never melee'd, never responded to tells-on any of the characters-mean that it was someone who was afk killing. The people saying things like "mind your own business" or "it doesnt affect you", or "wah, they took away my easy button, so its ok for me to gain aa's this way"-keep doing it, and those of us who play the game by the rules, will keep petitioning when we see cheating going on. It does work to petition btw, they cant tell you the outcome, but its fairly clear when you see a gm appear by the person, then the person "poofs" and you dont see them on your friends list for a while, if ever, that it works.

Bleh the only thing that hill is good for is for locked level 10s for AA as the exp would level them to grey soon and the exp isn't worth leveling any mid-high level character.

There are far better zones with higher level trash that respawns.

-Stephen Colbert

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Sucuri

Loremaster

I've seen people doing this for years, long before mercs were even an idea on EQ1.

I have no idea how many of them I reported, always a necro or conj. They were always there or in a new place the next week, still doing it =

Sucuri is offline   Reply With Quote